Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Gotham

Comments

• Options
    They were introducing characters at a breakneck pace... I halfway expected to see Greedo as a little kid.

Who the **** is the guy at DC/WB who's job it is to perpetuate the idea that the Penguin has to be a gross, malformed weasel? Ever since the Burton atrocity, he's been sleazy, gross, and an outcast from society. I thought they were going to avoid it on this one, but NOOOOO, he walks with a bum-leg waddle, looks sickly, and gobbles down food like he's a savage.

Why can't he just be an odd little man with a bird fetish and an umbrella?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Tonebone said:

They were introducing characters at a breakneck pace... I halfway expected to see Greedo as a little kid.

Who the **** is the guy at DC/WB who's job it is to perpetuate the idea that the Penguin has to be a gross, malformed weasel? Ever since the Burton atrocity, he's been sleazy, gross, and an outcast from society. I thought they were going to avoid it on this one, but NOOOOO, he walks with a bum-leg waddle, looks sickly, and gobbles down food like he's a savage.

Why can't he just be an odd little man with a bird fetish and an umbrella?

Someday someone will go back to the source and do Penguin properly - a bullied fat kid with an overprotective mother - but until that time we have to deal with the freakshow that Burton begat.

That said, if that's what we have to deal with, at least this actor is doing a good job with it.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

the freakshow that Burton begat.

Nicely-turned phrase.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited September 2014
    I thought it was great...one odd thing: Montoya had a relationship with Barbara???
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I thought it was great...one odd thing: Montoya had a relationship with Barbara???

I read speculation that she may have been alluding to drug usage?
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Mr_Cosmic said:

I read speculation that she may have been alluding to drug usage?
    that isn't the impression i got
  • Options
    I hear ya. Yes, definitely got the same impression as you. I guess Montoya has drug use in her history or something or other? In any event, the reviewer was just trying to connect the dots.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited September 2014
    Watch the Waynes die repeatedly!

http://video.vulture.com/video/Batman-s-Parents-Dying-The-Supe

Now somebody needs to do a similar video of Krypton exploding.
  • Options
    Watched it. Probably won't watch it again. I didn't think it was awful, just uninspired. The cameo cramming I'm chalking up to it being the pilot. I was bored but I could see it having it's fans
  • Options
  • Options
    i mean terrible and tragic. very sad. poor child.
  • Options
    I really wanted to like this but it was just laughably bad. In an era of great tv and with all the amazing things being done at cable networks, how does someone think this is an acceptable program to be put on the air. It felt like it was written by a 13 year old.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I hear ya. Yes, definitely got the same impression as you. I guess Montoya has drug use in her history or something or other? In any event, the reviewer was just trying to connect the dots.

She's also a lesbian IIRC

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Yeah... I actually laughed out loud at that insinuation during the show... it's like the writers were trying so hard to tie EVERYTHING together, whether it made sense or not.

I thought Bullock was going to whip out a hologram of the Death Star Plans.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I thought it was entertaining enough to stick with it for a while. I was okay with the character introductions at first, but found Ivy unnecessary (leave at least some cameos for the future), and Gordon's fiancee being involved with Montoya feels like they're trying too hard to connect everything.

I actually think they could tell stronger stories if they don't tie themselves too much into Bruce Wayne. Seriously, do they plan to have Gordon give case updates to a 12 year old? I'd be happy to see Bruce in the pilot, and then no more, but with Sean Pertwee as Alfred, I imagine we'll be seeing the Wayne household every week.

I thought the Penguin was a nice compromise between Burton's freakshow and a more realistic version.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I thought it was entertaining. And I'm Excited for the next episode.

I'm going to watch this until it crashed and burns... But I hope it doesn't.
  • Options
    I'm with ya, Doc!
  • Options
    It will keep me coming back. I like the set-up of Gordon working to take Falcone down from the inside. I liked Jada as Fish. Not over the top. Hopefully not a situation where 22 episodes is too many. I would love to see more of Alfred raising a young Bruce. I also agree with keeping The Penquin more civilized but psychotic. Slashing the fisherman's throat was a bit much.
  • Options
    Not hugely impressed. If it were more present day Gotham Central than early Batman origin, it’d be more interesting. It did have some interesting vibes in that direction; a crime series in Gotham City with Batman and crew in the background does have an interesting hook to it, which is why the comic, Gotham Central, worked so well – but putting this at the beginning of the Batman story, at the beginning of Gordon’s career, just puts the origin story right smack in the way. Most of the characters seemed off-character to me; certainly neither Gordon or Alfred felt right. I found myself annoyed at having so many of Batman’s arch-foes being introduced so early, just crammed together into one episode (anyone here doubt that the auditioning stand-up comic wasn’t really a pre-Red Hood Joker?)… and, with the possible exception of young Selina Kyle, none of them were at all appealing or interesting. Just creepy. Even the Riddler as forensic scientist comes off sleazy.

The timeframe confuses me as well – presumably this series takes place roughly twenty-five or so years ago (assuming that Batman operates in the here-and-now of today), but people are using state-of-the-art cell-phones. Kept bouncing me out of the story.

It’s only the first episode, so it probably isn’t fair to prejudge the entire series so soon – but, so far, it looks pretty much like I feared it would be. It doesn’t work for me. I’ll likely catch it if FOX continues to repeat episodes later in the week, but I’m not likely to bother if anything more interesting is on opposite it. I’m sure not missing Big Bang Theory for this. (Neither, I suspect, would Sheldon Cooper.)

• Options
    I didn't get the impression it was set in the past. I don't think a period piece is what they were shooting for.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

I really wanted to like this but it was just laughably bad. In an era of great tv and with all the amazing things being done at cable networks, how does someone think this is an acceptable program to be put on the air. It felt like it was written by a 13 year old.

A friend asked me last night if I watched it. Said "no, not interested." She was shocked, she said she had heard it was "amazing". Yes... the previews said that, before the show even came out. Not impressed by critics saying the first 3 episodes of a show they got in advance is "amazing". If its on for 20 episodes and I hear its good, I'll check it out. But I'm not interested in a Gotham where there are no appearances by Batman. I'm not interested in teenaged versions of Catwoman and Poison Ivy (this is what she described to me, that's all I know).

If it was a Gotham show that took place when Bats was actually active, but only featured him obliquely every few episodes or once a season, I'd be fine with it. Because the villains would be at least be the versions of the characters we are familiar with.

I'm also not interested because WB's Gotham because I think have three different TV shows which aren't connected to each other at all, and a movies series which isn't connected to them at all either is just kinda silly at this point. For me.

That being said, if I continue to hear its good, I'll check it out. But not based on what you guys are saying.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Not hugely impressed. If it were more present day Gotham Central than early Batman origin, it’d be more interesting. It did have some interesting vibes in that direction; a crime series in Gotham City with Batman and crew in the background does have an interesting hook to it, which is why the comic, Gotham Central, worked so well – but putting this at the beginning of the Batman story, at the beginning of Gordon’s career, just puts the origin story right smack in the way. Most of the characters seemed off-character to me; certainly neither Gordon or Alfred felt right. I found myself annoyed at having so many of Batman’s arch-foes being introduced so early, just crammed together into one episode (anyone here doubt that the auditioning stand-up comic wasn’t really a pre-Red Hood Joker?)… and, with the possible exception of young Selina Kyle, none of them were at all appealing or interesting. Just creepy. Even the Riddler as forensic scientist comes off sleazy.

The timeframe confuses me as well – presumably this series takes place roughly twenty-five or so years ago (assuming that Batman operates in the here-and-now of today), but people are using state-of-the-art cell-phones. Kept bouncing me out of the story.

It’s only the first episode, so it probably isn’t fair to prejudge the entire series so soon – but, so far, it looks pretty much like I feared it would be. It doesn’t work for me. I’ll likely catch it if FOX continues to repeat episodes later in the week, but I’m not likely to bother if anything more interesting is on opposite it. I’m sure not missing Big Bang Theory for this. (Neither, I suspect, would Sheldon Cooper.)

I think, for the purposes of this show, it takes place in a retro styled version of today, the present. Hence the cars and clothing combined with modern computer technology and cell phones.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    This is "wait for the DVD" show for me.

Waiting for physical media?? - yes, i still get dvds and tell kids to get off my lawn.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I think dropping Sheldon would at least make that show tolerable.

M
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Planeis said:

A friend asked me last night if I watched it. Said "no, not interested." She was shocked, she said she had heard it was "amazing". Yes... the previews said that, before the show even came out. Not impressed by critics saying the first 3 episodes of a show they got in advance is "amazing". If its on for 20 episodes and I hear its good, I'll check it out. But I'm not interested in a Gotham where there are no appearances by Batman. I'm not interested in teenaged versions of Catwoman and Poison Ivy (this is what she described to me, that's all I know).

If it was a Gotham show that took place when Bats was actually active, but only featured him obliquely every few episodes or once a season, I'd be fine with it. Because the villains would be at least be the versions of the characters we are familiar with.

I'm also not interested because WB's Gotham because I think have three different TV shows which aren't connected to each other at all, and a movies series which isn't connected to them at all either is just kinda silly at this point. For me.

That being said, if I continue to hear its good, I'll check it out. But not based on what you guys are saying.
    I'm actually in a similar situation; people seemed surprised when I said I had zero interest in the show. I hope it does well for those who like it, but I just don't care about the premise. Unlike your situation, even after 20 episodes & a guaranteed 2nd season, I'm not going to tune in. I haven't with Arrow or AoS & I'm not going to here either.

If the show was more Gotham Central then Gordon: Year One, I'd give it more of a chance for the exact reasons you provided. I'm not interested in seeing Gordon's 10 years of failure until Batman appears & takes over the aging rogue gallery. I'm also not interested in Batman getting Anakin Skywalkered.

I saw Serpico for the first time 2 weeks ago. I thought that was a perfect notion of Gordon before the events of Batman: Year One.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Planeis said:

I think, for the purposes of this show, it takes place in a retro styled version of today, the present. Hence the cars and clothing combined with modern computer technology and cell phones.
    They had a making-of special where they stated it's a mix of retro and modern.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited September 2014
    What I really liked is seeing a young Bruce Wayne and seeing that he already feels like he has the persona of a man that will become Batman. And seeing that transformation is cool because I don't think we've seen much of what Bruce was like right after his parents where murdered.

One of the things I didn't really love about the Nolan Batman is he never really felt like Batman to me. People that say the Nolan Batman is a "Dark" Batman I disagree with I think he's a realistic Batman not a "Dark" one. And I feel like with the little we saw of young Bruce in Gotham he already feels much more like a "Dark" Batman compared to the Nolan one which I liked.
  • Options
    I'll say this. It was a better made pilot episode than Arrow had. I like Arrow but had to give it some time to find its footing. This probably won't change your mind if you inherently hate the premise (or you're @Matt‌ and you hate everything) but for someone tuning in hoping to catch a fun show I think it starts off better than Arrow and may have real potential to take off. I hated the Arrow idea as soon as they said no superpowers. Well, two seasons in and we have a fully powered costumed Flash that I am happy as hell to see. I may be overly optimistic but this could be excellent. I hope it is. I want these thugs made well.