Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's Great Right Now?

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Shaft #1 by David F. Walker and Bilquis Evely. Easily approachable for any reader, regardless of their familiarity with Shaft or blaxploitation in general. Not constrained by what has come before, it's a strong debut from Dynamite Entertainment.

• Options
    Anyone reading "Tooth and Claw" from Image? It's an intriguing read through the first 2 issues. Great artwork with a rich, fascinating backstory.
  • Options

Anyone reading "Tooth and Claw" from Image? It's an intriguing read through the first 2 issues. Great artwork with a rich, fascinating backstory.

I've got the issues but haven't had time to read them yet. But I'm definitely looking forward to doing so. They went straight to the top of the pile.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited December 2014

Anyone reading "Tooth and Claw" from Image?

Correction ... anyone reading "Autumnlands" from Image?

The Comic That Made Tooth & Claw Change Its Name… Was Also Published By Image
    Kurt Busiek states “I’m still not sure how we managed to screw up the trademark search. But as it turns out, the title we thought was clear for use is in fact registered to someone else, which is embarrassing as all hell. Oops.”
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/the-comic-that-made-tooth-claw-change-its-name-was-also-published-by-image/

(LOL! I was sitting there last night reading the thing going "Autumnlands? WTF?" Guess that explains it.)
  • Options
    Anyone at Image keeping an updated list of what they've published before?
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Swamp Thing is still the best thing DC is putting out. Although Gotham By Midnight #1 was a really good read too, a promising start.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338

I read the first issue on a whim and liked it. Great, charming artwork and interesting set-up. Not sure if it's the sort of book I'm going to read monthly, but it's definitely on my radar.
    luke52 said:

Swamp Thing is still the best thing DC is putting out. Although Gotham By Midnight #1 was a really good read too, a promising start.

I've not read Gotham by Midnight yet, but I'll check it out if it's recommended by someone who knows how good Swamp Thing is.
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

I read the first issue on a whim and liked it. Great, charming artwork and interesting set-up. Not sure if it's the sort of book I'm going to read monthly, but it's definitely on my radar.

You should definitely check out issue #2. A lot of cool plot development.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I really enjoyed the first issue of Gotham by Midnight. I hope Templesmith stays on it a long time, as I feel he brings such a complete aesthetic to the book. It is like you know what kind of Gotham book to expect this to be, somewhere in the crossover between supernatural horror and mystery, just by looking at his first page. Best new DC book I have tried in awhile, and to judge by the first issue, it won't overly rely on Batman to do its thing.

I keep hearing great things about the current volume of Swamp Thing. I got bored with Snyder's run on it about 12 or 13 issues in (whenever they hit that crossover with Animal Man. To me it all felt a little endless and repetitive, and I dropped both). But it sounds like it has been a lot better since and I plan to catch up on it one of these days.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I keep hearing great things about the current volume of Swamp Thing. I got bored with Snyder's run on it about 12 or 13 issues in (whenever they hit that crossover with Animal Man. To me it all felt a little endless and repetitive, and I dropped both). But it sounds like it has been a lot better since and I plan to catch up on it one of these days.

The Snyder issues started out with great artwork and a nice sense of foreboding... then it turned into 12 months spinning our wheels while hearing that "THE ROT IS COMINGGG!!!!"

The Soule run is significantly better, imo. Every issue feels weighty, with a lot of development and a great cast of (mostly new) characters. I only wish the art were more consistent; it's been good, but if Marco Rudy and Yanick Pacquette were on still on the title regularly, it would have taken the title over the top into mainstream success.

Elsiebub said:

I have heard that the second issue kicks it up another notch. I'll probably pick up a copy this week.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    David_D said:

The Snyder issues started out with great artwork and a nice sense of foreboding... then it turned into 12 months spinning our wheels while hearing over and over again that "THE ROT IS COMINGGG!!!!"

The Soule run is significantly better, imo. Every issue feels weighty, with a lot of development and a great cast of (mostly new) characters. I only wish the art were more consistent; it's been good, but if Marco Rudy and Yanick Pacquette were on still on the title regularly, it would have taken the title over the top into mainstream success.

Elsiebub said:

I have heard that the second issue kicks it up another notch. I'll probably pick up a copy this week.
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

Very much so.

• Options
    The Valiant #1 was great.

So was Sex Criminals #9.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Two great manga to consider - both are one-shots so you have no long-term multi-volume commitments:

Satoshi Kon's Opus - Dark Horse - If you enjoy anime, you already know about the late Satoshi Kon (Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue) but you might not have known he was a brilliant manga creator as well. This book is a must-read for anyone who creates their own books, as it examines a creator coming face to face with his creation, and becoming trapped in the very worlds he built.

Ayako - Vertical - from Osamu Tezuka, the Godfather of Manga, this is an examination of what happened to families in post-war Japan. Fictional, but grounded in truth, it's a horror story about a family with deep dark secrets and their efforts to keep those secrets hidden. Are comics literature? Bet your ass they are...
  • Options

Anyone reading "Tooth and Claw" from Image?

Correction ... anyone reading "Autumnlands" from Image?
    I picked up the first two issues, and have only been able to make it through issue #1 so far. But I loved it! The story and the art are fantastic.

The other books that I am currently devouring and would recommend are The Fade Out (Brubaker crime noir . . . need I say anymore?), Daredevil (Mark Waid continues his fantastic writing), Silver Surfer (Allred art makes me smile), and Holmes vs Houdini has been a lot of fun.

There are a lot of really good books, a ton of okay books, and a bunch of blah books out right now. I wish that the big two would put more focus on quality in their titles, as opposed to quantity. Does anyone else stick to a budget per month? If the quality of Marvel or DC books across the board was better, they would get a bigger share of my $, but because they want to pump out 10 million Spider-Man titles, Batman titles, and other malarkey, I tend to put a larger share of my $ towards the independent books, where the creators have to be fully bought in for the success.
  • Options
    compsolut said:

Does anyone else stick to a budget per month? If the quality of Marvel or DC books across the board was better, they would get a bigger share of my $, but because they want to pump out 10 million Spider-Man titles, Batman titles, and other malarkey, I tend to put a larger share of my $ towards the independent books, where the creators have to be fully bought in for the success.

I try to maintain a budget for myself each month and I very much agree that I've been gravitating more toward indie publishers because I feel like my money is more well spent. I really enjoy the fact that many indie books still print letters pages and include interviews with creative teams and other supplemental material. Plus, I just find more interesting stories being published outside of The Big Two right now.

• Options

compsolut said:

"I very much agree that I've been gravitating more toward indie publishers because I feel like my money is more well spent. I really enjoy the fact that many indie books still print letters pages and include interviews with creative teams and other supplemental material.

@Evening639‌ what are your current Indie buys that you recommend?
  • Options
    compsolut said:

compsolut said:

"I very much agree that I've been gravitating more toward indie publishers because I feel like my money is more well spent. I really enjoy the fact that many indie books still print letters pages and include interviews with creative teams and other supplemental material.

@Evening639‌ what are your current Indie buys that you recommend?
    Alex +Ada, Dream Police, Saga, Shutter and Velvet are all Image books I've been enjoying tremendously.

Also, Resurrectionists from Dark Horse had a pretty good debut issue and there's a cool interview in the back with Fred Van Lente.

The Bigger Bang from IDW has been a pretty interesting mini-series so far.

And my wife just blew through the first trade of The Woods from Boom! Studios in one sitting.
  • Options
    Justice League Dark has been great in my opinion :smiley:
  • Options

It's probably my favorite DC title right now. Are you also reading Justice League 3000? That one's pretty fun as well.
  • Options

It's probably my favorite DC title right now. Are you also reading Justice League 3000? That one's pretty fun as well.
    Been meaning to check that one out haven't yet .

• Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    edited December 2014

And my wife just blew through the first trade of The Woods from Boom! Studios in one sitting.

Being from the Milwaukee area, this one was a blast right off the bat. Tynion is really coming on strong in 2014. Writing backup with Snyder on Bat and Bat Eternal, Woods . . . hard to say he isn't having a great year.

I have poured through the first Velvet trade at least 3 times. It's such a good read.
  • Options
    You know what's great right now? Secret Avengers #11. One of the most enjoyable single issues I've read in a long time. It was so good, matter of fact, that the very first thing I did when I finished it was that I read it again.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Read Black Science 11 this morning. Anyone that isn't reading this book is doing a major disservice to themselves.

The whole concept of the giant onion that is the Eververse is terrific and the amazing alien species rendered by Matteo Scalera are mind blowing.

Give it a go!
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Mind Mgmt continues to be great. Also, been loving Lazerus, Velvet, and Manhattan Projects.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481

I liked the first issue -p leaning towards picking up the first trade if i hear it's continued to be good. So happy to hear issue 2 was good!

e
    L nny

• Options
    I've just polished off Ghostbusters vols 7, 8 & 9 in the last couple days. Was such a great comic, one of the best movie adapted series out there in my opinion. Sad to see it go... but eagerly awaiting the trade of the Ghostbusters/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossover.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    luke52 said:

Was such a great comic, one of the best movie adapted series out there in my opinion.

I'm currently in the midst of vol. 5 from a comiXology sale from a while back. I completely agree with this statement. Art and story are both great and it really feels like it is a continuation of the film franchise.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

luke52 said:

Was such a great comic, one of the best movie adapted series out there in my opinion.

I'm currently in the midst of vol. 5 from a comiXology sale from a while back. I completely agree with this statement. Art and story are both great and it really feels like it is a continuation of the film franchise.
    You'll enjoy the last storyline then. Mass Hysteria, an 8 part sign off I could easily see as being Ghostbusters 3, but in comic form.
  • Options
    Batman fans, do yourself a favor and pick up this 350 pages+ trade of Batman The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga TP Vol 01 (Of 3). You can grab a copy for only $8 (45% off) at InStockTrades.com

Came in my DCBS box yesterday and I love it.