Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's Great Right Now?

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I read the first issue of Wild's End from Boom...lots of fun!

Read the first issue the other night. I was a bit hesitant about picking it up, because I don't know that I need another version of War of the Worlds, but I really liked the artwork, so I picked it up anyway.

I still don't know if I need another War of the Worlds. And so far the characters are pretty much stock characters that would feel right at home in any ’50s film. But the dialogue is very nice, and the artwork is even better. And I don’t mind at all that it feels and “sounds” like a ’50s sci-fi movie. Plus, it’s only six issues. I'm in.
  • Options
    First issue of The Fade Out was like a long lost book from the 50's. I am deeply in love with it. Brubaker and Phillips do no wrong in my eyes.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    i just read Walking Dead Vol 20 and 21... and i really question why i keep buying and reading this stuff... i think it's just to see how it will all end...

but this whole human v human infighting is boring...
  • Options

First issue of The Fade Out was like a long lost book from the 50's. I am deeply in love with it. Brubaker and Phillips do no wrong in my eyes.

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    bamfbamf said:

i just read Walking Dead Vol 20 and 21... and i really question why i keep buying and reading this stuff... i think it's just to see how it will all end...

but this whole human v human infighting is boring...

dropped off around volume 17. Seems like it became too redundant.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I've had a like/dislike relationship with Scott Snyder's writing for years now, going back to his first issue of Detective Comics... and for that matter I've also had a like/dislike relationship with Jock's artwork as well... but Wytches #1 was fantastic. Easily the best new #1 issue I've read this year (just beating out The Fade-Out and Annihilator). It's probably the first time I've ever read a Scott Snyder comic that I found purely, 100%, unequivocally enjoyable, without a single instance of me thinking that any passage of dialogue was "too much" or whatever. I could totally see this as a movie (and apparently it's already been optioned). But, that said, this DOESN'T feel like one of those "written to become a movie" independent comics, because Jock's artwork is just so unique that the project stands on its own here.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I realize it's considered poor form to like anything New52 related...but I'm enjoying the heck out of Forever Evil.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I realize it's considered poor form to like anything New52 related...but I'm enjoying the heck out of Forever Evil.

I am madly in love with the new Forever People book. I know it'll be gone by next spring, but I am loving it now. Forever Evil probably works very well now, but it took so long to come out I completely lost the thread of what the plot points were.

• Options
    I've probably mentioned this earlier but I just read the second volume and Five Ghosts from Image is pretty great. Frank Barbiere and especially Chris Mooneyham kill it. And it's currently on sale on Comixology.

I really them to do a Dr Strange book now.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Torchsong said:

I am madly in love with the new Forever People book. I know it'll be gone by next spring, but I am loving it now. Forever Evil probably works very well now, but it took so long to come out I completely lost the thread of what the plot points were.

Have you read the new Captain Victory series? It's only a couple of issues in, but I'm really enjoying it. And I like the approach they're taking with bringing in a bunch of really good indie artists to draw the book. Seems to be in keeping with the spirit of the original Kirby project.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Torchsong said:

Forever People is the only DC title I'm getting right now. Can't get enough of the Krazy Kirby Throwbacks.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited October 2014
    This might be premature, as I have only read the first two issues of what is going to be a 16 issue thing or something like that, but so far the "Fire and Stone" series of interconnected miniseries, based on the 20th Century Fox properties (Aliens, Predator, Aliens Vs. Predator, Prometheus) at Dark Horse has been great.

I've long been a fan of Dark Horse's work on these properties, going all the way back to the B&W Aliens stories in DHP in the 80s. I haven't read everything they've done in those years. And quality has varied wildly. But it seems they have been less busy with these licenses the last few years, and I like that they are making a big push to get them going again. And to judge from the first two, they are off to a strong start.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    David_D said:

This might be premature, as I have only read the first two issues of what is going to be a 16 issue thing or something like that, but so far the "Fire and Stone" series of interconnected miniseries, based on the 20th Century Fox properties (Aliens, Predator, Aliens Vs. Predator, Prometheus) at Dark Horse has been great.

I've long been a fan of Dark Horse's work on these properties, going all the way back to the B&W Aliens stories in DHP in the 80s. I haven't read everything they've done in those years. And quality has varied wildly. But it seems they have been less busy with these licenses the last few years, and I like that they are making a big push to get them going again. And to judge from the first two, they are off to a strong start.

I was wondering. I'm not in a position to add another event and I know that there's no way I'll be able to just dabble in that world. Maybe one day....
  • Options
    hauberk said:

David_D said:

I was wondering. I'm not in a position to add another event and I know that there's no way I'll be able to just dabble in that world. Maybe one day....
    I'll follow up once things are further in to say if it stayed good.

Also, though it is early to know this yet, too, but I think they have set this up so that you could only choose to read the minis individually as their own things. They seem to share some of the same locations, and I am guessing there will be some cause and effect connections, but so far the Prometheus and Aliens minis are set in two different times, so I am guessing they may not directly intersect.
  • Options
    The Life After by Joshua Hale Fialkov, at Oni Press. Very spiritually odd, in a Matrix/Unwritten kind of way.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    David_D said:

I am waiting on the complete fire and stone collection. I love darkhorse's alien/predator universe.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

Have you read the new Captain Victory series? It's only a couple of issues in, but I'm really enjoying it. And I like the approach they're taking with bringing in a bunch of really good indie artists to draw the book. Seems to be in keeping with the spirit of the original Kirby project.
    Yes, and Joe Casey's run on Godland made me think he's the perfect guy to do a Kirby themed project. He and Morrison are people who REALLY get what Kirby was doing and do things like it without being an imitation of it.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Ms. Marvel. It's just a really well done superhero book.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Deadly Class is still great. If you're not already, get on it!
  • Options
    I don't know about "great," but "Amazing Spider-Man" has been really, good so far IMO.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Rick Remender's titles at Image.

I also enjoy his work at Marvel, but I have been loving his creator-owned work with his co-authors at Image. Caught up on some of these this week.

Black Science with Matteo Scalera I've loved from the beginning. An idealistic bit of scientific universe jumping becomes a very dangerous, multiversal Space Family Robinson. Excellent art and alien design. Interesting and flawed cast. Keeps you guessing and jumping. Great stuff.

Deadly Class with Wesley Craig also had me right from the beginning. A formerly homeless, troubled use with an interesting skill set ends up getting a sort of scholarship to an elite private school for children with the most dangerous parents in the world, that teaches you to be an assassin and master criminal yourself. And set in the mid to late 80s for good measure. SOLD.

Low with Greg Tocchini was a little denser and harder to get into at first, but I'm glad I stuck with it. A richly designed far future world where the remnants of humanity live under the sea, and have all but given up on the probes they sent out to find other habitable planets. It was so full of design and mythology that it took my to issue 3 to really have my bearings. But now I'm in. Because it is also about a determined, and optimistic in the face of doom, mother and her son. And by the end of that third issue it has got me.

I think it is rare for a creator to keep this many creator-owned books strong, distinct, and as far as I can tell, so far pretty well on time, on top of several company titles at Marvel. Hell of a Rick Remender year. (And a great looking title with Sean Murphy, Tokyo Ghost, coming next year sometime.)
  • Options
    David_D said:

Low with Greg Tocchini was a little denser and harder to get into at first, but I'm glad I stuck with it. A richly designed far future world where the remnants of humanity live under the sea, and have all but given up on the probes they sent out to find other habitable planets. It was so full of design and mythology that it took my to issue 3 to really have my bearings. But now I'm in. Because it is also about a determined, and optimistic in the face of doom, mother and her son. And by the end of that third issue it has got me.)

I agree 100%. I was "eh" about issue #1, but am very glad I stuck with it.
  • Options
    Afterlife With Archie... I was blown away. Terrified, shocked, and saddened... all that in each issue.

Best comic I've read in a LONG time.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Tonebone said:

Afterlife With Archie... I was blown away. Terrified, shocked, and saddened... all that in each issue.

The first trade was scary and fun. And the scene with Archie's dog actually made me misty-eyed! Great premise with flawless execution by that creative team.
  • Options

Tonebone said:

The first trade was scary and fun. And the scene with Archie's dog actually made me misty-eyed! Great premise with flawless execution by that creative team.
    I think the brilliance lies in the fact that you already know the characters, the town, the normalcy of life in that universe. They spend literally zero time setting up those things, and dive right into the creepiness. I actually think the juxtaposition of the two is what creates such an impact. Looking forward to Sabrina.
  • Options
    Agreed on Afterlife. I didn't think I would enjoy that book nearly as much as I did.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I want to read Afterlife. At some point, I think I'm going to get it int trade. I have also heard really good things about the Sabrina The Teenage Witch book as well.
  • Options
    I just finished the first issue of Sabrina's book. DAMN! This is not the Archie I grew up with. I'm gonna save up for the trade.
  • Options
    The latest volume of G.I. Joe at IDW, by military thriller novelist Karen Traviss and artist Steve Kurth.

I have enjoyed a lot of what IDW has done with G.I. Joe, though I have been away from it for a few years. I thought I would give the latest relaunch a try (DCBS had a nice discount on #1) and I'm glad I did.

It is grounded, detailed, realistic-seeming (if with a slight near-future bent) special ops action. I like that the Cobra of the book still feels like the one that Gage and Costa set up, albeit now hiding in plain sight as international private security contractors.

I like that, at the moment, there are no ninjas or four color costumes involved. It feels like a really sharp military comic, with a little big of the political and espionage intrigue that I used to love in Queen & Country. I don't know that a single shot was fired in the first issue, but it didn't feel like there wasn't action. I've read the first two, and I am down to stick with it. I hope this team lasts. I also love the retro looking Jeffrey Veregge covers:

And for those that prefer the more classic, G. I. Joe: A Real American Hero approach, IDW is still doing those with Larry Hama continuing to write it at the same time. I wish more companies would trust their readers enough to let two continuities, in two different styles and tones, run at the same time the way IDW is.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Axis: Hobgoblin has been a great little mini-series so far. Full of dark comedy and great art. It's the spiritual successor of Superior Foes AND X-Statix. If you ever wondered what would happen when an evil billionaire fashion designer turned masked criminal mastermind turned superpower arms dealer is magically turned good, then this logically depicts those events.