Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's Great Right Now?

Comments

• Options
    Not saying it'll stand the test of time, but Ant-Man #1 was a real fun read. Very funny. It's written by Nick Spencer, so if you liked Superior Foes of Spider-Man, you'll enjoy this one too.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Batman fans, do yourself a favor and pick up this 350 pages+ trade of Batman The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga TP Vol 01 (Of 3). You can grab a copy for only $8 (45% off) at InStockTrades.com

Came in my DCBS box yesterday and I love it.

Seconded. Can't wait for vols 2 and 3.

More good manga:

Master Keaton - If I told you a comic about an insurance investigator would be really really good, I wouldn't blame you for not believing me. Fortunately, it's Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys) at the helm, so the pedigree precedes him even though this series came before the two previously mentioned. Master Keaton is a professor and insurance investigator, but one with a history. Great self-contained short stories that tell a longer narrative in the background.

Citrus - Yuri isn't for everyone, and for the most part I find the stories long and drawn out and not all that interesting. This one has potential, like Gakuen Polizi before it, because there's more than just "are these two people going to fall in love or not?". One of the characters has an aura of mystery about her, and it's up to the other main character to unearth it. So that'll keep me along for the ride.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Haunted Horror-I am loving this series that reprints classic pre-code horror. It reminds me of NEC's great Tales to Terrible to tell. If you enjoyed the classic EC horror stuff give this series a try.

Sure this isn't current,but I have been loving Vol 4 of the Mirage run of TMNT. And the classic sci fi series from Epic Alien Legion.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Wytches by Snyder and Jock. I had been ordering these, expecting to like them, but didn't finally read any until I had the first four issues stacked up. Which I think read in a row. Excellent and creepy. And-- and I think this is key for me when it comes to horror-- I buy in to what is at stake. Beyond the cool design and mythology they have set up, what really hooks me to this book is the family they create at the center of it.

Like some other recent favorites of mine, Saga and Copperhead, the relationship between parent(s) and child in Wytches is what creates the tension for me. Horror always means more when you actually want the people being threatened to survive.

And some of the personal stories that Snyder has been telling in the backmatter have added a lot for me. Great book. And yet another time that Image is continuing to be where most of the most exciting work is happening.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Elsiebub said:

David_D said:

I keep hearing great things about the current volume of Swamp Thing. I got bored with Snyder's run on it about 12 or 13 issues in (whenever they hit that crossover with Animal Man. To me it all felt a little endless and repetitive, and I dropped both). But it sounds like it has been a lot better since and I plan to catch up on it one of these days.

The Snyder issues started out with great artwork and a nice sense of foreboding... then it turned into 12 months spinning our wheels while hearing over and over again that "THE ROT IS COMINGGG!!!!"

The Soule run is significantly better, imo. Every issue feels weighty, with a lot of development and a great cast of (mostly new) characters. I only wish the art were more consistent; it's been good, but if Marco Rudy and Yanick Pacquette were on still on the title regularly, it would have taken the title over the top into mainstream success.

Elsiebub said:

I read the first issue on a whim and liked it. Great, charming artwork and interesting set-up. Not sure if it's the sort of book I'm going to read monthly, but it's definitely on my radar.

You should definitely check out issue #2. A lot of cool plot development.
    I have heard that the second issue kicks it up another notch. I'll probably pick up a copy this week.
    sounds interesting. I just ordered the first 2 Soule collections from my library.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just finished Swamp Thing #40. I'm sad to see this one go. Was by far the best DC book around in my eyes and finished with a bang. Scott Snyder and Charles Soule delivered two very different runs, both equally good imho.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Most of us already know how awesome Silver Surfer is, and issue #9 had one of the best lines I've read in a while:

"He's surfing... He's surfing the MOON!" ~ Dawn Greenwood
  • Options
    Batman by Snyder and Capullo.

I'm enjoying the current "Endgame" story, and hell, I've enjoyed every story they have done so far. Some more than others, but they have all been at least solid, and usually upwards from there. It has been a pretty ambitious, cinematic run on the title. And rare in comics these days to see a writer and artist team stick together this long (and with only a tiny handful of non-Capullo issues).

I think the only misstep for me in the entire 39 issues so far was that one issue that was actually a preview for Batman Eternal (that was some BS). But other than that one issue, it has been more than three years of strong issue after issue.
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    Need I bring up the Star Wars / Darth Vader storyline? Where to start - the story writing itself is superb, the art is brilliant, and the best part is that they are working in tandem within the same continuity.

I will say that most everyone was sure Cassaday wouldn't be able to keep up with the schedule, but boy the first 6 issues are totally worth it. These books seem to have set the bar pretty high in regards to Star Wars, let's hope that bar stays high!
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited April 2015
    Dream Police #6 just came out. That series has been awesome so far and Straczynski has been doing a good job of keeping the mystery going without adding too many new plot threaads before he can resolve old ones.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Marvel's Squirrel Girl.
    Erica's Henderson's quirky artwork matches the tone that Ryan North has set up for the book perfectly. Multiple giggles on every page for issue #3.
    A real surprise. Probably won't last long, but I'm on board for as long as it does.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Red One (Image) has me interested after one issue. I'm a WFTT person, but I can see that one getting picked up. Those Dodsons...they're going to become a big name in this industry...mark my words. :)
  • Options
    Not a comic, but The Flash TV show is good.

Guys, it's really good.

If your not watching it then image
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    fredzilla said:

Guys, it's really good.

Oh, I'm there! I'm totally sold on the show!

• Options

fredzilla said:

Guys, it's really good.

Oh, I'm there! I'm totally sold on the show!

Ditto. Loving it!
  • Options
    Let me just go ahead and make it official ... after 4 issues, Ant-Man has now assumed the #1 spot in my "What's Great Right Now" power rankings.
  • Options
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but you should be reading Feathers (Archaia). Fun all ages book.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    edited April 2015
    I just finished Blue Rose Supreme (Warren Ellis and Tula Moray)...loved it! (read it twice, already).
    Nameless (Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham) is strong.
    Multiversity has been great.

I got my wife to read Saga Book One. She read about 1/2 of it in a day and is enjoying it (I'm psyched. I had her read Bone and she dismissed it).

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/saga-book-one-hcimage
  • Options
    popestu said:

I just finished Blue Rose Supreme (Warren Ellis and Tula Moray)...loved it! (read it twice, already).
    Nameless (Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham) is strong.
    Multiversity has been great.

I got my wife to read Saga Book One. She read about 1/2 of it in a day and is enjoying it (I'm psyched. I had her read Bone and she dismissed it).

• Options
    Bloodshot Reborn #1 by Jeff Lemire was SO good.

Valiant is really making great comics right now.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Seven issues in and Deathlok is awesome. I'd never been a fan of the character but this is a very accessible book with an exciting story. Highly recommend it!
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Seven issues in and Deathlok is awesome. I'd never been a fan of the character but this is a very accessible book with an exciting story. Highly recommend it!

Wow. Interesting. Deathlok has never appealed to me in the least. May have to rethink that.
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

Wow. Interesting. Deathlok has never appealed to me in the least. May have to rethink that.
    A spoiler free summary: A single father believes he is a "doctor without borders" who leaves every weekend to help out around the world. He's actually Deathlok. He has no memory of what he actually does. He has a handler who talks him through his missions...missions which are very questionable. S.H.I.E.L.D. is trying to hunt him down because of his actions..others are hunting him down too..during all this he starts to become aware of his actions.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    DC Convergence; SHAZAM #1might be the best Captain Marvel that DC has produced since the Bridwell/Newton stories back in World's Finest. Very true to the source material. Beautifully drawn.
    I'm going to find more books by Parker & Shaner.
  • Options
    rebis said:

DC Convergence; SHAZAM #1might be the best Captain Marvel that DC has produced since the Bridwell/Newton stories back in World's Finest. Very true to the source material. Beautifully drawn.

Agree. Loved this book.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    rebis said:

I'm looking forward to reading this. I've loved SHAZAM since I was a kid. FYI, you should check out the Parker & Shaner FLASH GORDON from Dynamite. It was terrific.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Agree, best of the books so far.

• Options
    I thoroughly enjoyed Secret Wars 1.
    (I have been mainlining Scalped for the first time...wow, just wow)
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    kgforce said:

rebis said:

I'm looking forward to reading this. I've loved SHAZAM since I was a kid. FYI, you should check out the Parker & Shaner FLASH GORDON from Dynamite. It was terrific.
    I have my eye on the Omnibus.
  • Options
    I finished Wytches #6 yesterday, by Snyder and Jock. End of the first arc.

What an excellent book. Totally has me hooked. To me, the best kinds of horror are not really clever or out there concepts, but rather, they find a scary threat, but the characters you are following are so grounded in truth, that what is happening to them matters. And, usually, the threat weaves in and out of the anxieties or themes that are at stake in the story. My favorite works of horror are like that. To me, that is why, of the dozen or so ones I have read, King's The Shining is his finest novel.

Wytches is like that. I have enjoyed a lot of Snyder's work, but this feels the most personal, the closest to the bone. And he has some great essays about horror, and moments of horror and anxiety in real life, that make it seem that much more personal. It's been an excellent book. And I am glad there is more ahead. Keep an eye out for that first trade.