Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's Great Right Now?

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Anyone read Fight Club 2 from Dark Horse yet?
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782

Anyone read Fight Club 2 from Dark Horse yet?

It's out?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yes, and it's beautifully rendered and cleverly done. The writer is the original author of the Fight Club novel. I' read the FCBD #0 issue and issue #1 tonight. Looking forward to the follow-ups.
  • Options

Yes, Iand it's beautifully rendered and cleverly done. The writer is the original author of the Fight Club novel. I' read the FCBD #0 issue and issue #1 tonight. Looking forward to the follow-ups.

I read the FCBD issue and was psyched! I didn't realize it was out, yet. I'll have to look for it on Wednesday. I'm torn between floppies and waiting for the trade.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Make yourself a note if you pass up the floppies so you don't forget it because it will surely make a beautiful trade. Issue #1 was even better than the 0 issue, immensely so.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

Make yourself a note if you pass up the floppies so you don't forget it because it will surely make a beautiful trade. Issue #1 was even better than the 0 issue, immensely so.

I'm glad to hear that.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Allow me to bore you with my review of Fight Club 2 #1 (and the #0 issue). It's posted here on the Comics Alternative website.

I also got a few chuckles out of Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #1. I'm not usually a Deadpool fan, but got this on a whim. I read the original Secret Wars, upon which this story has been retconned, and it's a great send-up. The bonus send-up of Contest of the Champions is also a hoot (with slightly better art).
  • Options

I am torn. I rather have a nice hc trade, but I want to read it now...I hate getting issues and then the trade. Especially now that I'm trying to clear out issues.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    popestu said:

I hate getting issues and then the trade. Especially now that I'm trying to clear out issues.

I've quite often purchased both, the original issues and then the trade. The trade makes for a good, single reading, but often excludes things that only the single issues had, like crossovers, some subplots, issues that weren't directly connected to the trade's main story, back-up stories, etc. The exclusions range from minor to large omissions, depending upon the trade and the story arc. On the other hand, sometimes the trades add special features as a bonus. That's why I like getting the story both ways, if possible.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Very true but i hate paying double.
    And then they put out a premier version
  • Options
    Often, if I have the issues, I will get the trade as soon as someone places the winning bid for the issues sold as a lot on eBay.
  • Options
    Comics thrive in that second market
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Sometimes I get both issues and theb the trades. Especially with stuff I am trying out and then like.

Depending on content, I give some of the issues away to friends I have with younger kids. I also have a stack waiting for the next forum secret Santa exchange.
  • Options
    I work with developmentally delayed adults. Many of my back issues (Kicker Inc., anyone?) are in my office for random gifts, projects, etc.

When I was a teacher, I often brought them to class for prizes and incentives. I would put back issues towards my tax write-off
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Secret Wars. If you're not reading it, you're missing out on an epic in the making.
  • Options
    Secret Wars does feel like a moment to remember. Similiar to COIE (disregard current retcons) or Sandman. It has been a long time since I was this psyched about an event or story. I remember not being able to wait for Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic's Thor, God Butcher and Godbomb (you go, Esad) but this story has a gravitas to it that those did not. It also has Doom. Hickman's FF run was epic but this still feels bigger somehow. And I just referring to the mini series, not avengers or new avengers.
  • Options
    popestu said:

Double!? I used to buy triple! I'd buy two copies of the tie-in issues: one to file with the regular series and one to file away with the mini-series. And then, later, the trade.

• Options

popestu said:

Double!? I used to buy triple! I'd buy two copies of the tie-in issues: one to file with the regular series and one to file away with the mini-series. And then, later, the trade.

Wow. In the 90s, did you buy 2 of everything? 1 to read and 1 to bag? How did that work with minis?
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I can't decide what was better this week. Spectre Wars #3, maybe the best issue of series yet, or Justice League #41? What annissuevthat was!! This Darkseid War is gonna be great if it continues on like that.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Secret Wars was better. JL was a great issue, though (even with the obnoxious 1/2 page ads). As usual , the bad guy kicks everyone's ass to easily and then the big bad show up.

Motherbox Flash was unexpected and awesome.

• Options
    popestu said:

popestu said:

Wow. In the 90s, did you buy 2 of everything? 1 to read and 1 to bag? How did that work with minis?
    No, I didn't buy into that particular philosophy. I only bought doubles of crossovers, and filed them away with whatever storyline they belonged to. (For instance, two copies of Infinity Inc if it was a Crisis crossover, with one copy going with the Infinity Inc collection, and the other filed with the Crisis series.)
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    edited June 2015
    I second the Secret Wars bandwagon. I just jumped into the current issue market (read: floppies on the stands) after multi decade absence (been a trade-reader since my return to comics in 2010) and I can't imagine I could have picked a better time to do it. I was hesitant to start dumping boatloads of money into a crossover event AND the tie-ins but I have yet to be disappointed by any of it.

If you haven't read Jason Aaron's 8 issue Thor run, pick that up. The man can write. And Russell Dauterman's art is purrrdy.
  • Options

popestu said:

popestu said:

No, I didn't buy into that particular philosophy. I only bought doubles of crossovers, and filed them away with whatever storyline they belonged to. (For instance, two copies of Infinity Inc if it was a Crisis crossover, with one copy going with the Infinity Inc collection, and the other filed with the Crisis series.)
    I used to think about this because my brain itched when I thought about the holes in my organized comics.

Now i do not worry about such things.

My brain still itches sometimes when I'm going through my collection, though.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Unfortunately it's over, but I picked up Wild's End (BOOM! Studios) a couple of weeks ago from the Denver Comic Con. It was great fun. Think anthropomorphic War of the Worlds. Perhaps it will be traded soon?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    fredzilla said:

Unfortunately it's over, but I picked up Wild's End (BOOM! Studios) a couple of weeks ago from the Denver Comic Con. It was great fun. Think anthropomorphic War of the Worlds. Perhaps it will be traded soon?

Looks like it will be traded--in paperback form even!--in early September!
  • Options
    popestu said:

Secret Wars was better. JL was a great issue, though (even with the obnoxious 1/2 page ads). As usual , the bad guy kicks everyone's ass to easily and then the big bad show up.

Motherbox Flash was unexpected and awesome.

Motherbox or Boomtube?
    Boomtubes transport. The blade is the motherbox?
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Read "The Dying and Dead" #1 by Hickman this past weekend. Holy crap, what an excellent read!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Paper Girls by Chiang and BKV has been excellent so far. I think there is especial interest for those of us who were kids in the 80s (though it is definitely not a kids book).

I've really been enjoying Wolf by Ales Kot and Matt Taylor. It is it's own thing, of course, but to compare it to some things, it is like John Constantine + Fables + a great LA noir.

And speaking of Constantine. The current DC Constantine: The Hellblazer series, by Doyle, Tynion, Rossomo and others, while not quite the Hellblazer of old, has been solid. It feels like a Hellblazer book again, and while I don't love how NYC-set it is, I like that it feels like he is getting to do his own thing again, rather than being a magical superhero, as he was in the New52 Constantine series.

And while the delays have hurt momentum and been a bummer, I have really enjoyed Secret Wars. Looking forward to the conclusion tomorrow.
  • Options
    I'm really digging Doctor Strange, just read the first two issues, Aarons voice for the character is different and more humorous than I've seen in the past but I am digging it .
    I'm also enjoying All New All Different Avengers by Waid . I like him on team books and handling characters I haven't seen him touch before .

I used to be a huge green lantern fan but dropped off around the Fourth world arc (to be honest it had wained for me since Johns left ) but I recently tried it again with Hals return to earth and liked it (enough to buy next issue ) and am looking forward to trying the Tom Taylor / van sciever Green lantern Mini that's out today

I have greatly enjoyed Hickmans work at marvel (I hope he finishes S.H.E.I.L.D. at some point ) and am giddy for the Secret Wars wrap up , I know its has delays but that hasn't bothered me as long as its as solid as past issues in the series I'm a happy camper (but understand why its not everyone's cup of tea )
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited January 2016
    deadpool said:

I used to be a huge green lantern fan but dropped off around the Fourth world arc (to be honest it had wained for me since Johns left ) but I recently tried it again with Hals return to earth and liked it (enough to buy next issue ) and am looking forward to trying the Tom Taylor / van sciever Green lantern Mini that's out today

GL is a title I've been wanting to get back into since I returned to comics a few years ago. I used to follow it back in the early 2000s (Kyle will always be my GL) but could never get into the current New 52 book. Perhaps I'll give it another try. I also am looking forward to Green Lantern Corps: Edge Of Oblivion and am hoping to pick up a copy of issue #1 when my wife and I finally get to hit the comic shop on Monday.

Since you're a Lantern fan have you also been following Sinestro? I've really been digging that book a lot and I don't really see many people posting about it.