Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's Great Right Now?

Comments

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited April 2014

Elsiebub said:

Really enjoying "Batman and..." lately. The title's starting to come together again. The conflict with Ra's popped up out of nowhere, but it's been great so far. The Aquaman issue was good, the Wonder Woman issue was even better, and next month we've got Frankenstein. Tomasi's characterizations are on-point all over, and Gleason's art is fantastic and dynamic as ever.

I think that's the one Batman title I do miss getting. (I dropped it with all the rest of the Bat-books just before the 'Family' crossover). I liked Tomasi's writing much better than what was going on in the other books. When I can afford to again, I may look into picking it up again.
    If you're looking to catch up with that series, I'd definitely recommend tracking down the "Batman & Red Robin" issue with Carrie Kelley in it. A lot of people thought the series declined once Damian left, but for the most part I enjoyed that batch of issues starting last spring, especially the "Red Robin" one.

After that there was a 5-part Two-Face story that was halfway set in the past. It was okay but dragged a lot in the middle. I think it would probably read better all at once.

But like I say, it seems like Tomasi and Gleason have really hit the ground running again these past few issues. I see every solicit going forward, and I can't wait to read it!
    Nick said:

You should check out Discountmags.com. They just had a sale this weekend on "Batman and..." for $1.25 an issue, that included delivery to your house. They also had the new Superman for the same price. They have a sale every month or two!

Yep! That's how I subscribed to the very same series! There's also Magazines.com, which is usually more expensive... but if you go through an Ebates portal then you get 26-40% cash back (deposited into your Paypal account). I just wait till there's a 40% back offer on, and renew my subscriptions that way. There was actually a 52% cash back offer for one day around Christmas, but unfortunately I had already renewed a lot of my titles just before then. (Still, I renewed Thor that way.) Between Discountmags and Magazines.com/Ebates you can easily get most DC and Marvel series for $1.50 or less per issue. It's all just a question of whether you're comfortable getting comics through the mail (sometimes late, sometimes dinged up). But it's worked great for me!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I read Think Tank vol1 (a freebie from Comixology sxsw giveaway)... What a great book!

I'm liking this whole 'science is cool' thing going through a load of books lately. Manhattan projects vol1 was great, vol2 really dropped off for me and I still have vol3 waiting to be read. I think Think Tank has the potential to be great if it continues the way vol1 went.

Is any one else reading this? Is it worth picking up the later trades?
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Walking Dead #126. Yeah. That's the stuff.

I know it's hip and cool not to like this book, but they delivered here. The end was a surprise but fit PERFECTLY with how they have built the story and the characters involved, and really opens the book to a new level and new way of storytelling if they chose to do it.

I got to the end and wanted to know what happens next. And that is what I want from my funnybooks.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    i bought Manhattan Project #1 when it was on sale at comixology... and HAD to keep buying the remaining 18 issues!!!

it's very very strong!

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    bamfbamf said:

i bought Manhattan Project #1 when it was on sale at comixology... and HAD to keep buying the remaining 18 issues!!!

it's very very strong!

This is an amazing book. I read just about anything Hickman does but this book really does stand out.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Never been a big Silver Surfer fan (I always liked the concept more than the mopey execution), but I have loved the first two issues so far of the Slott/Allred series and I'm in for the time being. In a way, both the Surfer and Dawn have been in a rut, so I think wild adventures from this creative team are just what they both need. Maybe a cute, spunky sidekick is just what ol' Norrin needs to see the wonders of the universe with a fresh perspective.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Hex said:

Mercenary Sea (Image)

Wow!
    If the story is half a good as that BEAUTIFUL poster image for Mercenary Sea... I'm sold.
    Anyone that missed Mercenary Sea from Image #1 can get it for $1.49 through DCBS this month.

MERCENARY SEA #1 *CLEARANCE*

LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE!
    (W) Kel Symons (A/CA) Mathew Reynolds 'NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT' Action and adventure set in 1938-The South Seas. Japan has invaded China. War in Europe is imminent. Ex-bootlegger Jack Harper captains The Venture, a refitted German U-Boat, with a crew of expats, mercenaries and treasure hunters. They do whatever it takes to stay afloat, often running up against pirates, headhunters, spies, and soldiers. They're always one step away from the greatest score of their lives...or their certain demise.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Crossed: Badlands. I know that Crossed, and Avatar books in general, are not everyone's cuppa. And I respect that. And actually a lot, maybe most, of the Badlands series has not been for me, when written by anyone other than Ennis. (Though I did like Jamie Delano's one story).

But Ennis has been coming back to this bi-weekly book every 20 issues or so do to an arc. And the 50th issue kicked off a particularly good one. A story about the initial outbreak, and possibly the patient zero, told from the point of view of a security detail agent for the UK Prime Minster. Great story so far, and I am a sucker for a good Ennis book.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Rachel Rising, by Terry Moore. If you've been enjoying Revival, you'll like this.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    All-New Ghost Rider #2 I just got around to reading this (I get monthly DCBS orders). I was little unsure about the series after the first issue, but issue 2 was really good. I'm not reading the New Ms. Marvel series, but it seems that Marvel has created 2 new characters that people really like.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Got a Kickstarter in for a book called Nelvana of the Northern Lights. Brief comic history - during WWII Canada briefly banned the import of American luxury items to shore up the war effort. "Luxury Items" in this case included American Comic Books. Canadian artist and publishers quickly worked to fill the newsstands with their own work - and a guy named Adrian Dingle created a female protector of the northland called Nelvana - Canada's first superheroine who also happened to predate Wonder Woman's first appearance by a year or so.

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited May 2014
    Torchsong said:

Got a Kickstarter in for a book called Nelvana of the Northern Lights. Brief comic history - during WWII Canada briefly banned the import of American luxury items to shore up the war effort. "Luxury Items" in this case included American Comic Books. Canadian artist and publishers quickly worked to fill the newsstands with their own work - and a guy named Adrian Dingle created a female protector of the northland called Nelvana - Canada's first superheroine who also happened to predate Wonder Woman's first appearance by a year or so.

John Byrne has stated that Nelvana was the inspiration for Alpha Flight's Snowbird. Snowbird's mother was "Nelvanna".
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    It's been a very good read and a nice look back at comic book history. I will say in all fairness, though, Nelvana doesn't really DO much except fly around. At least so far. Her brother, Taranero seems to do all the heavy lifting. She did turn invisible to infiltrate a dungeon in the last story I read, though, so things are turning around. :)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Amazing Spider-Man

Peter wakes up in his body to find himself the CEO of a company, nearly engaged to a girlfriend, off the Avengers, and alienated from just about every friend he's ever had. The fallout from Superior Spider-Man is huge and watching Peter try to pick up the pieces is entertaining as hell.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Secret Avengers through 3 issues is still funny as hell.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Started going back and reading Jeff Lemire's run on Green Arrow via Comixology... wow, is that good. You don't have to have read any of the earlier New 52 GA stuff (nor should you, from what I hear), and though it takes a few cues from the Arrow TV show, you don't have to know that, either. It does, however, take established Green Arrow history and turn it on its ear, challenging what both Ollie and the reader have long since accepted about his backstory. What I've read so far (almost the first trade's worth) is fantastic stuff.
  • Options

Started going back and reading Jeff Lemire's run on Green Arrow via Comixology... wow, is that good. You don't have to have read any of the earlier New 52 GA stuff (nor should you, from what I hear), and though it takes a few cues from the Arrow TV show, you don't have to know that, either. It does, however, take established Green Arrow history and turn it on its ear, challenging what both Ollie and the reader have long since accepted about his backstory. What I've read so far (almost the first trade's worth) is fantastic stuff.

Yeah, I picked up the first trade of that run a month or two ago.

Easily one of the best books DC is putting out.

Like you say, you don't need to have read anything that came before it. I haven't read a Green Arrow comic in over a decade, nor am I am at all interested in the Arrow TV show, and yet I picked up the first Lemire trade ("Vol. 4" of the series) and didn't have much trouble figuring out who was who or what was going on. And I'm interested in the character and the title for the first time EVER, really. The book as a great feel to it.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Saga.

It is back after a hiatus and as good as ever.

And this week's issue ended with a punch to the heart.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    I got 'Doctor Spektor' #1 today. Pretty fantastic read if I do say so myself. It seems in todays issue of Previews that #4 will be the "final issue" and although I'd like it to stick around, I'm kinda glad to hear it. It means I'll get a full story in 4 issues and be done with it. Like a short burst of great comics.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    She-Hulk, as far as I'm concerned it's the best monthly being put out right now.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Andre the Giant life & legend

Right now this is the best new book I've read all year. Its going to be extremly difficult to find a better ogn for 2014. The sadness s creeping into my bones knowing that I have months left and nothing shall be better.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

Right now this is the best new book I've read all year. Its going to be extremly difficult to find a better ogn for 2014. The sadness s creeping into my bones knowing that I have months left and nothing shall be better.

I give it a B+. Not the best OGN I’ve read this year, but I do recommend it.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

mwhitt80 said:

I give it a B+. Not the best OGN I’ve read this year, but I do recommend it.
    Just read it tonight and I wholeheartedly agree. It was reeeeally good.
  • Options
    I'm loving Southern Bastards. It's only two issues in but already strongly invokes Scalped, my favorite comic series ever. Excellent work by the two Jasons.

• Options
    Is anyone else reading Original Sin? It's totally kicking ass, IMO. Fascinating "who done it" thus far, with several cool plot twists. Oh, and beautiful artwork to boot.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Is anyone else reading Original Sin? It's totally kicking ass, IMO. Fascinating "who done it" thus far, with several cool plot twists. Oh, and beautiful artwork to boot.

I'm really digging it so far, issue three was a real wtf.
  • Options
    Greg said:

I'm really digging it so far, issue three was a real wtf.

Absolutely. I was like "Holy crap!" at that ending.

• Options

Yeah, it really has been good. I was on the fence about even trying it, but it's been some of the best Jason Aaron stuff I've read in recent years. The #0 issue, written by Waid, was great as well.

• Options
    Anyone else get the Thanos Annual #1?

Two thoughts:

1) Why isn't Ron Lim getting more work? I really like his art and have ever since Infinity Gauntlet.

2) Is this a prelude to a Thanos ongoing? I sort of hope so.
  • Options
    Looks like a new OGN from Starlin that ties in to GotG

Infinity Revelation