Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What did you buy today?

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Hawkeye #3
    Captain Marvel #5
    Daredevil #19
    Supergirl #13
    Cyber Force #1
  • Options
    Walking Dead
    Catwoman
    Cyberforce
    AvX consequences
  • Options
    Just got Voltron vol 1: The Sixth Pilot from Dynamite. Got the first issue & decided to wait for the trade & it was well worth it.

Interesting story about the origins of Voltron (and no, it is nothing like the tv series) which takes all the characters off in a new direction.

The art is really unique and catches the eye. It has a bit if an Alan Davis touch but is completely unique. I also think the colouring is this book is really a standout feature.

Guys, check it out if you have any interest at all in the characters or the series
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Lots of digital stuff

Legion #13
    Ame-Comi Girls #5 and 6

Okay, let the record show "Lots of Stuff" now means "3". :)
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Justice League 13
    Sword of Scorcery 1
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I've yet to visit my LCS this week, but I did make it out to San Francisco's annual Alternative Press Expo (APE) this past weekend.

Here's a smattering of some of the titles I picked up while there.

BASA (Bay Area Sequential Artists) is a group of Bay Area artists who periodically convene to share ideas, works, and get to know each other as creative individuals. This may have been their first time exhibiting at the Alternative Press Expo, but I have to hand it to them, their careful planning and organized approach to debuting their anthology book helped them avoid many of the pitfalls first-timers encounter. Ralph Werner, whom CGS members know on this forum as "Atomic99", is a member of this group and it was evident that his countless years as a con spectator helped prepare him for working the other side of the counter. While visiting the BASA's booth, I picked up their anthology, Ralph's sketchbook, and a sketchbook by BASA member Nick Pino, titled "My Water Broke" (not shown).

BASA's anthology:

Ralph's sketchbook

The last time I'd been to the Alternative Press Expo. was three years ago. In just that short time, the number of exhibitors and attendees has grown significantly. My first APE was in 1995 (the con debuted in '94). Back then, the show was held in San Jose, California, and the ratio of artists to professional retailers was fairly balanced. These days very few professional retailers are present, and sellers who come with aspirations of unloading a few long-boxes worth of comics are in for a disappointment. Buyers don't go to this con looking for something tried and true, they go in search of something new. This is a con for interacting with creators, and immersing oneself in a plethora of untapped talent.

And speaking of "untapped tallent", one of the books I picked up at APE was Chris Kawagiwa's The Sunless Circus as well as his book "The Tell" (not shown). Chris struck me as a versatile young artist with the kind of marketing savvy needed to captivate an audience. He's definitely on my radar.

Chris Kawagiwa's The Sunless Circus

BASA's booth
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    The "Obama the heavyweight vs Romney the featherweight in the 2nd debate" Edition

DAREDEVIL #19 (my last issue of the series moving to the 12 issue HC format)

Matthew
  • Options
    Damn you CGS. I didn't want to get Avengers vs X Men, but you guys really intrigued me with your episodes on it. So today I buckled and ordered the trade. :)>-
  • Options
    Marty_DevineMarty_Devine Posts: 57
    edited October 2012
    mguy1977 said:

The "Obama the heavyweight vs Romney the featherweight in the 2nd debate" Edition

The "So good to see my schtick outlived me on the forum" Edition

I'll be back this coming Wednesday with my purchases.

By the way, keeping my weekly pull list on EVERNOTE has been a godsend.
    It's free, I have it on my PC and my iPhone.
    I have all my missing singles and my trades wishlist on there too.
    Better than lugging around a notepad and pen/pencil.
    Since it's on my phone, I'll have it with me at every show and shop I visit.
    I can't recommend it highly enough.

(Google Drive works fine too, I prefer the look and feel of Evernote.)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Ghostbusters Ongoing TPB Vol 2
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Power of Shazam tpb
    Showcase brave and bold batman teamups vol 2
    Teen Titans omnibus vol 2
    Batman brave and the bold (based on cartoon) tpb vol 1
  • Options

I've yet to visit my LCS this week, but I did make it out to San Francisco's annual Alternative Press Expo (APE) this past weekend.

You were at APE? damn, I'm sorry I missed you. Josh and I were set up in the back room.

-Kat
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Kat_Rocha said:

You were at APE? damn, I'm sorry I missed you. Josh and I were set up in the back room.

-Kat
    I saw both you and Josh roaming the show floor at various times. I opted not to bother either of you whilst you were away from your table. I figured I'd swing by your booth later on when you were both there, but I ended up spending longer than anticipated at other parts of the showroom floor, and never did get back to the area where your table was. In retrospect, I regret that. If I had known earlier that I wouldn't have had an opportunity to go back, I would have said, "hello" when I had the chance.

Oh well, there's always big WOW, though it's too bad WonderCon no longer has a Bay Area presence.
  • Options
    The "Bad Penny" Edition

DARK HORSE COMICS

DARK HORSE PRESENTS #17
    SHAOLIN COWBOY ADVENTURE MAGAZINE TP

DC COMICS

ALL STAR WESTERN #13

MARVEL COMICS

AVENGERS #32
    AVX CONSEQUENCES #3
    CAPTAIN AMERICA #19
    CAPTAIN AMERICA AND BLACK WIDOW #638
    SECRET AVENGERS #33
    ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES #17

OTHER COMICS AND BOOKS

MAD GREATEST ARTISTS MORT DRUCKER HC

Addendum to follow if the fates allow
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    The "Pres. Obama sank Romney's Battleship in the 3rd debate" Edition

SUPERMAN #13
    FF #23 (thank you Hickman!)

Matthew
  • Options
    The "Wake me when it's over" Edition

STAR TREK TNG DOCTOR WHO ASSIMILATION #6
    REVIVAL #4
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #696
    AVENGERS #32
    DEADPOOL #63
    FF #23 :((
    ADVENTURE TIME #9
    BRAVEST WARRIORS #1
  • Options
    Talon #1

Quiet week for me.
  • Options
    ADDENDUM-OPOLIS!

ALAN ROBERT KILLOGY #1 (Marky Ramone cover)
  • Options
    The "It's like that episode of Frasier where Sam showed up and said that Cliff hadn't been to Cheers in a while because he was scared of flesh-eating bacteria, and as a result a lot of old customers started coming back to the bar - look, I'm just sayin', okay?" edition.

Batman Incorporated #4
    Star Trek TNG / Doctor Who: Assimilation2 #6 (I wonder if they FINALLY leave the Ready Room in this one?)
    Multiple Warheads: Alphabet to Infinity #1 (I hate to impulse buy $3.99 books, but this looked cool, and it seems like it'll take a while to read, in that good way)
  • Options
    Wow, this "What did'ja buy" thing has really slipped since the good ol' days.
    Maybe it's just an off week, because there used to be so much more participation.
  • Options

Wow, this "What did'ja buy" thing has really slipped since the good ol' days.
    Maybe it's just an off week, because there used to be so much more participation.

No, it's been like this for a while, sadly. Too bad, too, because I really like seeing what people are buying every week. Helps me discover new books.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Three-quarters of my buys are European comics...and of those many are non-English...
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

ADDENDUM-OPOLIS!

ALAN ROBERT KILLOGY #1 (Marky Ramone cover)

Tell me more about this "Marky Ramone cover". He is my least favorite drummer for the Ramones,well behind Elvis Ramone if you count him.

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I picked up (free) Cyber Force! Did anyone else contribute to the Kickstarter project?

I also picked up Batgirl #13 for the first time because I couldn't resist the cover.

And for some reason my copy of Superman #13 did not arrive in the mail. :(
  • Options
    Captain America was a satisfying end to Bru's run.
    I'll just leave this single panel here, no commentary needed...
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Other day for half off at my lcs Marvel Essentials 2 in 1 and Luke Cage Power Man. Love me some 70's comics
  • Options
    Marty_DevineMarty_Devine Posts: 57
    edited October 2012
    The "Post Apocalyptic" Edition

What I anticipate picking up during the weekly lunchtime run to the LCS:

DARK HORSE COMICS

BPRD HELL ON EARTH #100 RETURN O/T MASTER #3
    STAR WARS DARTH MAUL DEATH SENTENCE #4

DC COMICS

JOE KUBERT PRESENTS #1 (I has a sad)

IDW PUBLISHING

ROCKETEER CARGO OF DOOM #3

IMAGE COMICS

FATALE #9
    HAPPY #2

IMAGE COMICS

CBLDF LIBERTY ANNUAL 2012 #5

MARVEL COMICS

A PLUS X #1 NOW
    AVX CONSEQUENCES #4
    WINTER SOLDIER #12

COMICS & GRAPHIC NOVELS

EC KURTZMAN CORPSE O/T IMJIN AND OTHER STORIES HC (Giddy!)
    EC WALLY WOOD CAME THE DAWN AND OTHER STORIES HC (Giddy, Giddy!)
    RACHEL RISING #12

Addendum to follow
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    The "Who ya gonna call" Edition

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE THE ORIGIN OF SKELETOR #1
    ROCKETEER CARGO OF DOOM #3
    TRANSFORMERS MORE THAN MEETS EYE ONGOING #10
    CAPTAIN MARVEL #6
    THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS OMNIBUS VOL 1
  • Options
    If you pick up Previews and watch The Walking Dead, be warned. There's a t-shirt being offered in the merch section that may be a spoiler for the TV show. Just puttin' it out there.
  • Options
    Captain Marvel #6. And Previews. That's it...