Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What did you buy today?

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    fredzilla said:

I recently got The Amazing Spider-Man CD-ROM with nearly 500 issues of the ol' Web-head from eBay the other day. Original scans of the books with all the ads inside. Fun!

What issues did that include? The first 500?

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    fredzilla said:

I recently got The Amazing Spider-Man CD-ROM with nearly 500 issues of the ol' Web-head from eBay the other day. Original scans of the books with all the ads inside. Fun!

I'm not a huge fan of digital comics, but it's hard to resist a package of 500 comics. And at least you do own the package instead of relying on the availability of the cloud. What's the price tag on that set?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited April 2015

fredzilla said:

I believe it's the first 500 issues and annuals (including Amazing Fantasy #15)

fredzilla said:

I'm not a huge fan of digital comics, but it's hard to resist a package of 500 comics. And at least you do own the package instead of relying on the availability of the cloud. What's the price tag on that set?
    Apparently there are two kinds out there. I got the CD-ROM that has 11 discs, but there is a more recent version that is a DVD-ROM that is just one disc. I found mine on eBay for $20 +shipping. It was a re-listing as the first one was $40 +shipping. I was just going to bid on it for $15, but I didn't want to get out bid so I did the "buy-it-now." Mine is just the discs and not the box. That's fine with me. I'm just happy to have more than half of The Amazing Spider-Man library that I can carry in one hand. I don't have a big bucket list, but one of the items on it is to read through the entire run of ASM at some point. Now I can do that!

Amazon has them for sale from other vendors, but they are really pricey. eBay's are similar for good conditioned/boxed editions. If you're patient for a deal, you'll find one.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

fredzilla said:

I believe it's the first 500 issues and annuals (including Amazing Fantasy #15)

fredzilla said:

Apparently there are two kinds out there. I got the CD-ROM that has 11 discs, but there is a more recent version that is a DVD-ROM that is just one disc. I found mine on eBay for $20 +shipping. It was a re-listing as the first one was $40 +shipping. I was just going to bid on it for $15, but I didn't want to get out bid so I did the "buy-it-now." Mine is just the discs and not the box. That's fine with me. I'm just happy to have more than half of The Amazing Spider-Man library that I can carry in one hand. I don't have a big bucket list, but one of the items on it is to read through the entire run of ASM at some point. Now I can do that!

Amazon has them for sale from other vendors, but they are really pricey. eBay's are similar for good conditioned/boxed editions. If you're patient for a deal, you'll find one.
    On eBay, I have a few searches I follow. I set the price range I want to be notified of for certain items. It isn't a perfect science, but some days I check my ebay more than my email...

Great find btw
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited April 2015
    No trip to the LCS this week. Instead, my wife and I played Comic Roulette at a nearby Ollie's that sells bags of 10 random comics for $5.99. My gun bag contained the following bullets books:

Archie's Pal Jughead (Vol. 2) #212
    Blood Legacy: The Story Of Ryan #1 (Keu Cha variant cover)
    Cable #80
    Eagle #5 (from Crystal Publications)
    Forever People (1988) #1 (The front cover to this one has "Return To Forever!" in the bottom left corner. I can only hope DeMatteis was referencing the Chick Corea project of the same name.)
    Justice League Quarterly #11
    RaceWarrior #3 (The comic book for racing fans!)
    Savage Wolverine #3
    Stormwatch #3
    The X-Men And The Micronauts #2
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Found Sonic Super-Sized Comics Digest issue 11 while out dvd shopping. Grabbed it.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Picked up the Amazon's Attack and Inferno mini's for under $2. Neither story was particularly interesting.

Too much of Amazons actually happened in other books but the Pete Woods art was well worth the price of admission.

I will say that Inferno has once more dampened my enthusiasm for finally getting around to reading that era of the Legion. It reminded me of everything that made me drop the Jughead Legion in the first place.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Found Sonic Super-Sized Comics Digest issue 11 while out dvd shopping. Grabbed it.

Someone else on the forum still buys Sonic comics. I'm not alone!

What exactly is included in the digests? I always think about picking them up when I'm at the book store.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited April 2015
    I swung by one of my local Half Price Books stores and picked up:

Bitch Planet #1
    Aquaman (4 issue mini series)
    Cloak and Dagger (4 issue mini series)
    The 'Nam #1-#12

• Options
    Ah, The 'Nam. one of the best pop-culture depictions of the American soldiers' experience in Vietnam. Doug Murray did a splendid job given his limitations with the Comics Code and illustrators Mike Golden and Wayne Vansant turned in excellent work, again considering the restraints adhering to the Comics Code. This is a series I remember fondly. Nice find @CageNarleigh.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Fables The Wolf Among Us #4 (of 6)
    Saga #27
    Darth Vader #4 (Adi Granov Regular Cover)

Matthew
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited April 2015

Ah, The 'Nam. one of the best pop-culture depictions of the American soldiers' experience in Vietnam. Doug Murray did a splendid job given his limitations with the Comics Code and illustrators Mike Golden and Wayne Vansant turned in excellent work, again considering the restraints adhering to the Comics Code. This is a series I remember fondly. Nice find @CageNarleigh.

I've heard some pretty great things about the series and I ALMOST picked up every issue in there (there were alot) based solely on the things I've heard. But I restrained myself because, I mean, I'VE never read it before. Last thing I wanted was a whole crap ton of issues of a series it turned out I didn't like. I assume the first 12 issues should give me a pretty good sampling enough to determine if I like it or not.

I've heard about it mostly via promos I've heard on other podcasts for this "The 'Nam Podcast" called "In Country". So if anyone is a fan of the 'Nam, there ya go.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I've heard some pretty great things about the series and I ALMOST picked up every issue in there (there were alot) based solely on the things I've heard. But I restrained myself because, I mean, I'VE never read it before. Last thing I wanted was a whole crap ton of issues of a series it turned out I didn't like. I assume the first 12 issues should give me a pretty good sampling enough to determine if I like it or not.

I've heard about it mostly via promos I've heard on other podcasts for this "The 'Nam Podcast" called "In Country". So if anyone is a fan of the 'Nam, there ya go.

Well, those first twelve issues have Michael Golden doing the art. Not that the artists that come after are bad, they just aren't Michael. But Doug Murray writes the first 45 issues, so it stays fairly strong post-Golden. After Murray leaves it's hit or miss.
  • Options

Well, those first twelve issues have Michael Golden doing the art. Not that the artists that come after are bad, they just aren't Michael. But Doug Murray writes the first 45 issues, so it stays fairly strong post-Golden. After Murray leaves it's hit or miss.

I think @nweathington is right, but if you go beyond that, you may want to end your tour of duty before Frank Castle shows up.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I think @nweathington is right, but if you go beyond that, you may want to end your tour of duty before Frank Castle shows up.
    The Castle story wasn't terrible—in fact, if you're a Punisher fan, I'd recommend it—but it wasn’t true to the spirit of The ’Nam. It was the wrong place to tell that story.
  • Options

The Castle story wasn't terrible—in fact, if you're a Punisher fan, I'd recommend it—but it wasn’t true to the spirit of The ’Nam. It was the wrong place to tell that story.

We don't disagree there either.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Darkhorse, Rebels = Awesome!
  • Options
    Nothing new off the racks this week. Instead, I hit the bins and found:

The Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe #9 (This finally completes my set of the first series.)
    The Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition #1 (No resource library is complete, after all, if it doesn't include an entry on Batroc's Brigade!)
    Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #2 and #33
    Superboy And The Legion Of Super-Heroes TPB (This is a black and white trade published by Tempo Books collecting "Superboy's Darkest Secret!" from Superboy #158, "The Six-Legged Legionnaire!" from Adventure Comics #355, "Curse Of The Blood-Crystals!" from Superboy #188 and "The Legionnaires Who Never Were!" from Action Comics #392. I especially love that the previous owner of this book colored one and ONLY one panel in with markers. That person did a pretty good job, too!)
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782

Nothing new off the racks this week. Instead, I hit the bins and found:

The Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe #9 (This finally completes my set of the first series.)
    The Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition #1 (No resource library is complete, after all, if it doesn't include an entry on Batroc's Brigade!)
    Silver Surfer (Vol. 3) #2 and #33
    Superboy And The Legion Of Super-Heroes TPB (This is a black and white trade published by Tempo Books collecting "Superboy's Darkest Secret!" from Superboy #158, "The Six-Legged Legionnaire!" from Adventure Comics #355, "Curse Of The Blood-Crystals!" from Superboy #188 and "The Legionnaires Who Never Were!" from Action Comics #392. I especially love that the previous owner of this book colored one and ONLY one panel in with markers. That person did a pretty good job, too!)

Evening639,
    Many of us would love to see the colored panel...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    @popestu I'll try to get a decent scan of it up in the near future. In the meantime, I've made it my avatar.
  • Options
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Has anyone read Mignolas new Frankenstein Underground yet? I'm so pumped for this series.
  • Options

@popestu I'll try to get a decent scan of it up in the near future. In the meantime, I've made it my avatar.

That's. Awesome.

(However, if I owned it, it would annoy me that someone colored it...)
  • Options
    Convergence Superman #1(from last week)

Matthew
  • Options
    Afterlife with Archie tpb
  • Options
    No trip to the LCS today (I'm trying to save money for WildPig's FCBD sale) but I did pick up BOOM! Studios' Big Trouble In Little China #1-4 at the local Goodwill for 47¢ a piece. I've been wanting to read those since they were first advertised. I love that I was now given that option for the low price of $1.99 instead of $16.92. Maybe Macklemore is on to something....
  • Options
    Uncle Scrooge #1 (Cover A Giorgio Cavazzano)
    Velvet #10
    Star Wars #4 (John Cassaday Regular Cover)

I got a rare mid month DCBS shipment so I have new comics to hold me over until Avengers Age of Ultron. YEAH!

Matthew
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    popestu said:

I've head great things about The Sculptor. Let us know what you think.

Proctoring some more state testing in the next couple of weeks and I was able to finish this. It was beautiful. Not really like Craig Thompson's Blankets, but I got the same vibe from it. Instead of the upper Mid-West, it was New York City. It wasn't so much as a coming of age story, but coming of death story (don't worry, no spoiler there). It was also fun to see many the elements illustrated in Cloud's Understanding Comics in there. He really does a marvelous job of graphic storytelling. It is a mature book, so maybe upper high school and older, because of language, sexual situations, and nudity. It should be up there with Blankets, Asterios Polyp, Fun Home, and even Maus.
  • Options
    I ebayed several issues of Planetary, Byrn's FF, Ennis' Hellblazer, Authority, Miller's DD, and an issue Mage the Hero Discovered. I am very psyched!
  • Options
    Trades/Graphic Novels:
    Sensational She-Hulk / Marvel Graphic Novel (1982) #18
    Black Panther (1998) TPB vol. 1 & vol. 2
    Invincible Iron Man (2008) TPB vol. 1 (Fraction & LaRocca)

Old Magazines:
    The Rampaging Hulk (magazine) (1977) #2
    Hulk (magazine) (1978) #20, 22, & 27

Back-issues:
    Conan the Barbarian (1970) #26, 30, 31,32 & 34
    Sleepwalker (1991) #1, 2, 10, 11, 24, 27

And from 1996-97, a few Amalgam titles:
    Speed Demon, Amazon, Assassins, JLX, Exciting X-Patrol, X-Patrol, Magnetic Men Featuring Magneto, & Bullets and Bracelets

From Valiant:
    Harbinger Wars (2013) #1-4
    Unity (1992) #1
    Ninjak (1994) #1-6
    Rai and the Future Force (1993) #9-18