Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    The Doomsday Key by James Rollins. It's the sixth book in his Sigma Force series
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I was tooling around on my Nook and ran across The Brave and the Bold:From Silent Knight to Dark Knight by Michael Curry I'm not really familiar with the series but I thought I'd give it a look but also it was free.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just started The Revenant. With all the Oscars talk, I thought I'd read the book before going to see the movie.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Wrapped up a couple of things recently.

On the non-fiction (and so technically, not a novel) side: The Death of Alexander the Great by Paul Doherty. A fairly interesting analysis of the extant historical texts combined with a modern understanding of medical conditions which looked at likely causes of death and potential culprits in the case of assassination. An interesting note: arsenic apparently serves as a preservative resulting in a body staying much fresher, even in the desert.

Followed that up with a reread of Redliners by David Drake. I really love Drake's military Sci-Fi work. In this case, the protagonists are a group of elite commandos that are past the ragged edge. They've been pulled back from the front and assigned as security detail for a new colony. Unfortunately, the target planet for the colony turns out to be a death world. Drake is a Vietnam vet that has excelled in conveying the impact of war on the psyche. He's also really good with action scenes. I'm honestly floored that none of his books have been made into movies.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    hauberk said:

Followed that up with a reread of Redliners by David Drake. I really love Drake's military Sci-Fi work. In this case, the protagonists are a group of elite commandos that are past the ragged edge. They've been pulled back from the front and assigned as security detail for a new colony. Unfortunately, the target planet for the colony turns out to be a death world. Drake is a Vietnam vet that has excelled in conveying the impact of war on the psyche. He's also really good with action scenes. I'm honestly floored that none of his books have been made into movies.

I've met David a few times, as he lives in the same area I do. He did a couple of signings at the comic shop I worked at back when we still had a strong SF/Fantasy/Horror book section. I agree that his books would make great movies. I think he's had some things optioned that never went into production. Back when he was at the height of his popularity, his books might have been deemed as being a little too expensive to make, and now he’s just overlooked, I think, because he’s not “the new hot writer.” But the studios would be wise to revisit his work. I think they could really make an impact with today’s audience.
  • Options

hauberk said:

I've met David a few times, as he lives in the same area I do. He did a couple of signings at the comic shop I worked at back when we still had a strong SF/Fantasy/Horror book section. I agree that his books would make great movies. I think he's had some things optioned that never went into production. Back when he was at the height of his popularity, his books might have been deemed as being a little too expensive to make, and now he’s just overlooked, I think, because he’s not “the new hot writer.” But the studios would be wise to revisit his work. I think they could really make an impact with today’s audience.
    Totally agree. I'm a bit envious that you've had the opportunity to meet him. I've exchanged letters with him a couple of times.

I guess, in some ways, we're fortunate that Hollywood didn't discover him. At that height, odds are pretty good that they would have come off as B movies at best on the acting/special effects side.

I'd even go TV for at least some of his works - an HBO multi-season Hammer's Slammers would be spectacular (I'd even take on from SyFy provided it was the SyFy that did The Expanse and not the Sharknado SyFy).

The more I think about it the more that this needs to happen.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited May 2016
    Book Report time.

It's been awhile since I've read big boy book, but today I bring you two books that I finished in the last few weeks.
    First Armada by Ernest Cline - I really enjoyed his follow-up novel to Ready Player One. This is his love letter to 70s and 80s alien invasion movies and video games. Is it as good as RPO? Nope, but it is an enjoyable book along the same vein.

Second A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George RR Martin This is the first time I've read Martin, and it was good. I blew through the 288 pages; are there any more Dunk and Egg books?
    Side Note:
    I'm not sure I really want to read the big game of thrones books; I don't have the patience or memory to read million pages of a series anymore ( I quit Robert Jordan halfway through book 10). Plus I'm not sure he will finish the books before a heart attack gets him, and unlike Jordan he doesn't seem to have detailed notes for Brandon Sanderson to finish. Who knows I might decide to get an audio book or get the first digitally instead of trying to read the paperbacks I have.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Book Report time.

It's been awhile since I've read big boy book, but today I bring you two books that I finished in the last few weeks.
    First Armada by Ernest Cline - I really enjoyed his follow-up novel to Ready Player One. This is his love letter to 70s and 80s alien invasion movies and video games. Is it as good as RPO? Nope, but it is an enjoyable book along the same vein.

Second A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George RR Martin This is the first time I've read Martin, and it was good. I blew through the 288 pages; are there any more Dunk and Egg books?
    Side Note:
    I'm not sure I really want to read the big game of thrones books; I don't have the patience or memory to read million pages of a series anymore ( I quit Robert Jordan halfway through book 10). Plus I'm not sure he will finish the books before a heart attack gets him, and unlike Jordan he doesn't seem to have detailed notes for Brandon Sanderson to finish. Who knows I might decide to get an audio book or get the first digitally instead of trying to read the paperbacks I have.

No. Three Dunk and Egg stories are it so far. There are a couple of other novellas focusing on the Dance of Dragons.

Given that I'm also not a trade waiter, I'll continue to read any and all GRRM as he puts it out. So far, I haven't been disappointed with the quality of anything that he's done. Should he die before he finishes the series, that would be a tragedy, but there are plenty of artists that don't complete their works. I'd rather he put out what he considers to be a complete and proper work than for him to rush to finish something that isn't true to his artistic vision.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I've reached a point where reading anything, even comics, causes fatigue. I have my first set of bifocals coming in a week or so, maybe that will help. Anybody else have this problem?

I'm way behind of the Iron Kindoms(Warmachine/Hordes) novels, Warhammer 40K novels and my wife keeps asking to me read Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    Wrapped up a reread of Stephen R. Donaldson's Mirror of Her Dreams. I've read and enjoyed pretty much everything that Donaldson has put out. He has a particular flavor or purple prose that I find enthralling. Admittedly, this duology is toned down compared to the Covenant books, but still has a particular flow. Unfortunately, this read left me feeling a bit less comfortable with the treatment of the main character. I'll still pull the second volume off the shelf to finish the reread. It's just not as high a priority as I thought it was.

Following that, I picked up Assail, Ian Cameron Esslemont's latest, and I believe, final offering in his Crimson Guard / Malazan series. Between Esslemont and Erikson, I'm generally always happy to visit the Malazan Empire. The world is, admittedly confusing, readers are thrown into the story well in progress and there is very little in the way of narrative explanation of the rules of the world. Esslemont's books take that a further step. Still, the world building that has gone into these volumes is pretty remarkable and they've created some incredibly memorable moments and characters.

Up next: Revisiting Donaldson's Gap Cycle and Daniel Abraham's Spider's War.
  • Options
    Lost Stars-Think of it as Romeo and Juliet combined with the events of Star Wars, Empire and Jedi. It's really good.
  • Options
    About halfway through The Fireman. The new one from Joe Hill. Can't put it down at the moment. Always a good sign.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Alright two books finished this week.

Winnie the Pooh by AA Miline - the first Pooh book in the series. My daughter was able to follow along pretty well for a 2.5 year old. This was a fun read.
    I need to get me a copy of Wizard of Oz with pictures. I tried Alice in Wonderland, but the style of writing was too hard for her to follow, but she can follow Baum's style pretty well.

Strip Tease by Carl Hiaasen - another really good book by Carl. This is one of those times I would like @WetRats to be back so we can talk about it.

I'm not sure where to go at this point; I'm leaning towards Neverwhere or Howl's Moving Castle, but not sure.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm not sure where to go at this point; I'm leaning towards Neverwhere or Howl's Moving Castle, but not sure.

Both are very good. Howl’s Moving Castle you might be able to read with your daughter—if not now then in a couple of years. I don’t know, it’s been too long since I read it. Neverwhere is going to be all you. Neverwhere is my least favorite of all of Gaiman’s novels, but it’s enjoyable enough.
  • Options

mwhitt80 said:

Both are very good. Howl’s Moving Castle you might be able to read with your daughter—if not now then in a couple of years. I don’t know, it’s been too long since I read it. Neverwhere is going to be all you. Neverwhere is my least favorite of all of Gaiman’s novels, but it’s enjoyable enough.
    Ive only read American Gods ( I loved it). From what I've gleaned from people the two must read Gaiman books are AG and Neverwhere. This is my book, but I'm torn between those 2 books and No Country for Old Men.

My daughter's current book is Wizard of Oz.

BTW little people can remember/comprehend more than we think they do. I thought my daughter's desire to read big books would end after chapter one of Mary Poppins. She still remembers and asks about stuff in the book. she's not a remarkable child; I just think little kids need to be given a little more credit for their comprehension. Those guys are in full on 100% learning mode.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Ive only read American Gods ( I loved it). From what I've gleaned from people the two must read Gaiman books are AG and Neverwhere.

If I had to rank them, I’d put The Graveyard Book at #1, followed closely by The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I’d probably put American Gods at #3.
    mwhitt80 said:

BTW little people can remember/comprehend more than we think they do. I thought my daughter's desire to read big books would end after chapter one of Mary Poppins. She still remembers and asks about stuff in the book. she's not a remarkable child; I just think little kids need to be given a little more credit for their comprehension. Those guys are in full on 100% learning mode.

Absolutely. I wish I could say the same for more adults.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    I have Ocean At the End of the Lane on my kindle ready to read. FUN FACT: I live in Portsmouth, England. We have a road, near to where I live, called Ocean At The End Of The Lane, this is an actual tiny little lane that leads right to the seafront. This was named in honour of Gaiman due to his ties to the city, he was born just on the out skirts of the city in a little town called Portchester and grew up in Portsmouth itself.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    Currently reading "The Mechanical" by Ian Tregillis, an alternate history in which the Dutch are the world's major power due to their development of "Clakkers", sophisticated alchemy-infused clockwork beings that are beginning to chafe under their yoke of servitude and yearn for freedom. I burned through Tregillis' excellent "Milkweed Trilogy", another alternate history that imagines a WWII where science-bred Nazi supermen are fought by the dark magic of British warlocks. How can you NOT read something like that when you're a comic book fan? Highest possible recommendation for these books.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I read Death Star, by Steve Perry and Michael Reeves.

It follows the construction, exploits, and eventual destruction of the first Death Star, and follows a cast of multiple characters.

"The Death Star was conceived by monsters and controlled by them. But not everyone on board was a monster."
  • Options
    Just finished "A Darker Shade of Magic" by V.E. Schwab, a great multiple-world tale of magic and intrigue. Don't miss her epic "Vicious", a fantastic meditation on super villainy with a very intriguing power basis and realistic setting.
  • Options
    davetalkscomicsdavetalkscomics Posts: 60
    edited August 2016
    hauberk said:

Wrapped up a reread of Stephen R. Donaldson's Mirror of Her Dreams. I've read and enjoyed pretty much everything that Donaldson has put out. He has a particular flavor or purple prose that I find enthralling. Admittedly, this duology is toned down compared to the Covenant books, but still has a particular flow. Unfortunately, this read left me feeling a bit less comfortable with the treatment of the main character. I'll still pull the second volume off the shelf to finish the reread. It's just not as high a priority as I thought it was.

I loved that two book series (official title: Mordant's Need; 1. The Mirror of Her Dreams, 2. A Man Rides Through). I read it when it first came out and then again about 10 year ago. It kept me guessing all the way through, never seemed predictable and I found the evolution of the relationships to be really intriguing. I can also see how it might not speak to everyone the way it spoke to me.
  • Options
    Currently reading:

Trunk Music by Michael Connelly - Book 5 of the Harry Bosch series - I'm about 3/4 of the way into it and really enjoying it; I have yet to be disappointed by this series

Taran Wanderer by Lloyd Alexander - Book 4 of the Chronicles of Prydain - first time rereading this since it first came out; part of my re-read of the entire series; so far so good; the series as a whole definitely lives up to my vague memories from 30-35 years ago

The Man from Scotland Yard by Maxwell Grant - a novel of The Shadow; love the way the author sets tone and describes things although some of the language is a little dated; although I have read some Shadow comic books and heard some of the radio show this is the first novel of the Shadow that I have tried to read
  • Options

hauberk said:

I loved that two book series (official title: Mordant's Need; 1. The Mirror of Her Dreams, 2. A Man Rides Through). I read it when it first came out and then again about 10 year ago. It kept me guessing all the way through, never seemed predictable and I found the evolution of the relationships to be really intriguing. I can also see how it might not speak to everyone the way it spoke to me.
    Agreed with all of that. I got the hardcovers when the books were first released. I couldn't begin to guess how many times I've read them in the last near 30 years, I'm reasonably sure it's been a decade since the last time through, but I used to hit Donaldson on a much more frequent rotation.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Most recently I've been delving back into the expanded world of the Malazan Books of the Fallen. Most recently wrapped up Dancer's Lament by Ian C. Esslemont - a prequel story (first in a trilogy) looking at Dancer and Kellenved long before they established the Malazan Empire or Ascended.

Now I'm on to Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson. This is another prequel series. This time looking at the time before the Tiste left their home warren and settled on the world of the main books. It's dense, maybe too dense. Certainly, it has a tremendous number of POV characters, many of whom call back to the 10 volumes of the original series. Erikson has attempted, successfully, I think, to provide a level of gravitas and history to the book which both serves the atmosphere and makes for a dense read. I see some particular value in reading all of the books consecutively rather than as they're released as a way of keeping things fresh.
  • Options
    It took me about 4 hours yesterday but I read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I liked it.

And Draco Malfoy became one of my favorite characters.
  • Options
    Just wrapped up Chuck Wendig's Star Wars: Aftermath. I'm going to preface my review by saying that my to read pile is currently pretty low and while I have a nice stack of books that are due for reread, I was really feeling the need to dive into something new and this was sitting on my son's shelf.

That said, from what I've heard about the Star Wars comics being so well executed, my feeling is that they really dropped the ball with this being the opening salvo in the new Star Wars expanded universe. I'm honestly having a hard time recalling the last book that I read that was this weak. I'd go through a good, bad and ugly, but really, one of the three is sadly lacking:

Hackneyed plot.
    Terrible metaphors
    Change in reader perspective within a scene
    I kid you not "... while you were still in space diapers."
    Obvious checklist of alien races and technology.

I think back to +/-25 years ago when Heir to the Empire came out and reflect on what Zahn built and then I look at Disney putting this out as the new first step and weep for the future.

If you have this book, my only recommendation is to leave it on the back of the toilet. Not to read, but as a just in case the roll runs out and you can't reach another one.
  • Options
    Ouch.

I've got updates to my reading coming soon.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    hauberk said:

If you have this book, my only recommendation is to leave it on the back of the toilet. Not to read, but as a just in case the roll runs out and you can't reach another one.

Sounds awful. This is terrible news.

• Options

hauberk said:

Sounds awful. This is terrible news.

I'm both a little disappointed that I stuck it out and at the same time a little proud, it's sort of like a literary version of doing a world's toughest mudder race.