Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Been reading a couple Robin Sloan books lately. Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore and prequel Ajax Penumbra 1969. Both good fun reads.

Onto Gaiman's The Ocean At The End Of The Lane now. Nearly crying at the first chapter, this dude can write!
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Been reading a couple Robin Sloan books lately. Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore and prequel Ajax Penumbra 1969. Both good fun reads.

Onto Gaiman's The Ocean At The End Of The Lane now. Nearly crying at the first chapter, this dude can write!

Never read Sloan’s work, but it sounds interesting.

Re: The Ocean at the End of the Lane, if you're almost crying now, just wait. Fantastic book—almost topped The Graveyard Book as my favorite of his.
  • Options

luke52 said:

Never read Sloan’s work, but it sounds interesting.

Re: The Ocean at the End of the Lane, if you're almost crying now, just wait. Fantastic book—almost topped The Graveyard Book as my favorite of his.
    Both the Penumbra books are what I'd call 'holiday books'. Easy, entertaining reading. Both worth a read. Enjoyed them both.

This is my first Gaiman prose. Enjoying it.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Both the Penumbra books are what I'd call 'holiday books'. Easy, entertaining reading. Both worth a read. Enjoyed them both.

Cool. Sounds like something good for a long flight. I’ll check those out at some point.

First Gaiman? Most people rave about American Gods, and it’s very good, but I prefer his YA stuff. Do yourself a favor. When you're done reading Ocean, find the audio book and listen to that. He reads all his YA fiction himself, and he’s incredibly good at it.
  • Options

luke52 said:

Cool. Sounds like something good for a long flight. I’ll check those out at some point.

First Gaiman? Most people rave about American Gods, and it’s very good, but I prefer his YA stuff. Do yourself a favor. When you're done reading Ocean, find the audio book and listen to that. He reads all his YA fiction himself, and he’s incredibly good at it.
    I'll do that. I have a feeling this is going to be one if those books that gets me hooked reading all of his stuff.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Reading Star Trek Odyssey - a omnibus book which collects the first three "Shatner-verse" stories.

Not great. Not bad. A little ridiculous.
  • Options
    I'm psyching myself up to read Alan Moore's (1400 page) Jerusalem. Expecting it in my next DCBS shipment!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited September 2016
    ctowner1 said:

I'm psyching myself up to read Alan Moore's (1400 page) Jerusalem. Expecting it in my next DCBS shipment!

e
    L nny

I just got it for my nook. I don't know when going to dig into it yet
    Also where have you been @ctowner1 it seems like forever.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited September 2016
    Reading list.

With the little girl.
    We finished Wizard of Oz.
    @Adam_Murdough we actually read my copy of Annotated Wizard of Oz by Michael Hearn (did not read the annotations), which I forgot we had. It was awesome; it had lots of illustrations, sketches, and pictures from other Oz books, personal journals, newspapers, etc..

Currently reading Mary Poppins Comes Back. Woah boy, DO NOT insult Mary; she takes that stuff way to seriously.

Personal reading:
    Born to Kill by TJ English. This was about the rise and fall of NYC's first Vietnamese gang. TJ English wrote PaddyWhacked (which i really liked) about the rise of Irish gangsters in America. BTK is interesting, but I would give it pass. PaddyWhacked and Havana Nocturne were much better books.

The Executioner #4 Miami Massacre by Don Pendleton - picking up after the events of Battle Mask (spoiler alert Mack Bolan infiltrated and butchered the LA mob) Mack takes a trip to Miami after a brief stop in Arizona. He is hunted by the police and the mob as he rips through the city like death hurricane.
    Currently reading The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E Howard - There are some great sword and sorcerery stories in this collection. I've yet to read one that I thought was a stinker. You can really see how he and Lovecraft were influences on each other.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Currently reading Mary Poppins Comes Back. Woah boy, DO NOT insult Mary; she takes that stuff way to seriously.

I picked up nicely illustrated hardcovers of the first two books in the series for $2 each at a consignment shop a month or two ago. They're next in line for my travel reading once I finish Terry Pratchett’s Tiffany Aching novels.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Decided to do a little fluff reading. Picked up Dragonlance Chronicles and Lost Chronicles.

The two trilogies were published about 20 years apart. Chronicles, by TSR as an introduction to the world and characters for the Dragonlance AD&D campaign and campaign setting (I read them when they were new and played the campaign with my high school gaming group). The trilogy had significant gaps in the story between novels so that they could have some level of surprise to those reading along and playing the campaign.

Lost Chronicles fills in those gaps. I've only just wrapped the first of Lost Chronicles: Dragons of Dwarven Depths. Overall, it was a really nostalgic experience for me as I recalled many nights sitting around the gaming table trying to save the world from the evils of Takhisis. Alas, the editing was lacking with some pretty unacceptable word substitutions and one relatively significant continuity gaffe.

I took a moment to look at the prologue of the second book in Chronicles: Dragons of Winters Night to see how things actually integrate. I don't know that it works really well - there's some deviation from how the later story played out. I'm not sure if that was an intentional choice by the authors when they came back to do Lost Chronicles or if the module that occurred between the original two books was intended to split the party.

Ultimately, I'm enjoying the nostalgia and wondering a bit about what happened to my fellow Companions of the Lance that drifted off to other places after graduation.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Recently devoured Rook by Daniel O'Malley and the sequel Stiletto. Both of which I highly recommend.

Also inhaled the two most recent Longmire books. Always recommended.

Now I am slogging through the first book of Mike Stackpole's Age of Discovery series, A Secret Atlas. Too many POV characters, too many unnecessary invented words, too much infodump.
  • Options
    I'm currently reading Bloodlines, one of the new Star Wars novels. Very slowly though as I have a toddler who won't leave me in peace. :angry:
  • Options

I'm currently reading Bloodlines, one of the new Star Wars novels. Very slowly though as I have a toddler who won't leave me in peace. :angry:

I particularly think Rook will be right up your alley.
  • Options
    I will look into it/add it to amazon basket
  • Options
    little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    edited October 2016
    Ooooo they do whispersync with the kindle version
  • Options

Is that a good thing?

Whispersync sounds like a 90s superhero.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    WetRats said:

Is that a good thing?

Whispersync sounds like a 90s superhero.
    No, they were this boy band, but nobody could ever make out what they were singing.
  • Options
    It links your progress in the kindle book to the audible books so I can read on the bus then continue listening when I get off and am walking home.
  • Options

It links your progress in the kindle book to the audible books so I can read on the bus then continue listening when I get off and am walking home.

That's actually very cool.
  • Options

Not all the books have it, you tend to find though that you can get the audible cheaper when you by the kindle

• Options

Not all the books have it, you tend to find though that you can get the audible cheaper when you by the kindle
    Interesting. I'll keep that in mind.
  • Options

That's perfect, because I predict you will not want to put it down.

After two pages, Myfanwy Thomas had become one of my all-time favorite characters.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

After two pages, Myfanwy Thomas had become one of my all-time favorite characters.
    Ok I need to get you on Skype to hear how you pronounce that name. :wink:
  • Options

WetRats said:

Gotta be Welsh.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Gotta be Welsh.
    Yup it is, I've been learnings a bit of Welsh so I now can pronounce it
  • Options

WetRats said:

I pronounce it like *she* does.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Gotta be Welsh.
    My son was accepted at Aberystwyth University, but foreigners aren't told what scholarships they will be granted until after they have commited to attending, and we weren’t sure if we’d be able to afford it, so he had to stay in the States.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Gotta be Welsh.
    My son was accepted at Aberystwyth University, but foreigners aren't told what scholarships they will be granted until after they have commited to attending, and we weren’t sure if we’d be able to afford it, so he had to stay in the States.
    That's such a shame, I wish universities over here were clearer about grants etc.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Gotta be Welsh.
    That's such a shame, I wish universities over here were clearer about grants etc.
    I know. He really had his heart set on going to university in the UK. Glasgow was his first choice, and he got in, but we weren't going to be able to afford it—at least the Scottish schools are more straightforward about that stuff. Aberystwyth and Exeter were next on his list, but.... On the plus side, he may be able to spend a semester at Exeter, as they have an exchange program with his university.