Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Supergirl TV Series Discussion

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

I think the Flash coming over to SG is an amazing show of flexibility by The CW (almost wrote WB) and CBS.
    There is no telling how many lawyers were involved in making that happen. Really it shouldn't be happening; two TV networks sharing a character at the same time? Was Battle of the Network Stars the last time this happened?

There was one season in which The Six Million Dollar Man was on ABC and The Bionic Woman was on NBC. Martin Caidin played Oscar Goldman on both series on two networks.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Supergirl's unbridled glee when Barry brings her ice cream is glorious!

That's my favourite moment of all the DC shows
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited October 2016
    Torchsong said:

but yes...they need to be real careful to enforce the idea this show is called "Supergirl" not "Supergirl and This Week's Hero". :)

...or "Supergirl and the Powerful Man Misunderstanding Her". That would get really boring, really fast.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

There was one season in which The Six Million Dollar Man was on ABC and The Bionic Woman was on NBC. Martin Caidin played Oscar Goldman on both series on two networks.

Minor correction: Martin Caidin was the author of the novel 'Cyborg', on which the Six Million Dollar Man series was based. Oscar Goldman was portrayed by Richard Anderson and both he and the character of Dr. Rudy Wells (played by Martin E. Brooks), appeared in both ABC's Six Million Dollar Man as well as the Bionic Woman when it left ABC and went to NBC during the final season of both programs.

As you infer, this created a unique situation in the history of series television. Unlike previous seasons, once the Bionic Woman moved to NBC, there were no more crossovers or appearances of the leads on the others' shows. Only Brooks and Anderson were allowed to do so.

Back to Supergirl.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Minor correction: Martin Caidin was the author of the novel 'Cyborg', on which the Six Million Dollar Man series was based. Oscar Goldman was portrayed by Richard Anderson and both he and the character of Dr. Rudy Wells (played by Martin E. Brooks), appeared in both ABC's Six Million Dollar Man as well as the Bionic Woman when it left ABC and went to NBC during the final season of both programs.

As you infer, this created a unique situation in the history of series television. Unlike previous seasons, once the Bionic Woman moved to NBC, there were no more crossovers or appearances of the leads on the others' shows. Only Brooks and Anderson were allowed to do so.

Back to Supergirl.
    Thank you. I knew some synapse was misfiring. Should have googled. That's what happens when I try to pull 40-year-old trivia out of a stinky place, while trying to wrap things up at work before going home early to dope myself up with NyQuil and try to sleep away a fever.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Supergirl's unbridled glee when Barry brings her ice cream is glorious!

That's my favourite moment of all the DC shows
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    That also had Callista delivering the best line in the whole first season. If you saw it, you know what it was. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

That also had Callista delivering the best line in the whole first season. If you saw it, you know what it was. :)

Yes.

'twas meta-riffic.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

Yes.

'twas meta-riffic.
    I laughed so hard, I literally spat my tea out
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited October 2016
    WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

I think the Flash coming over to SG is an amazing show of flexibility by The CW (almost wrote WB) and CBS.
    There is no telling how many lawyers were involved in making that happen. Really it shouldn't be happening; two TV networks sharing a character at the same time? Was Battle of the Network Stars the last time this happened?

Like battle of the network stars...

Always bet on Mr. Kotter.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    God gave Gabe Kaplan a career so we can watch him destroy other celebrities from the the 70s in elementary school Olympic events on YouTube.

I've said it before and I'll say it again the 70s was a crazy time for TV.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Possible mild spoilers---

I liked it. No reall gripes. One of the best dos I've watched.
    The cape/ shoulder pad things on supes were distracting and ugly. Superman being so against the deo(?) having kryptonite seemed forced and didn't ring true to me.
    Tired of cat grant. Mostly tired of them trying to sell her as a good person / heart of gold etc, and a genuine colossal B----. They haven't reconciled that for me. She really is aweful. The bit with her predicting Kara choosing reporter was lame.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited October 2016
    batlaw said:

Tired of cat grant. Mostly tired of them trying to sell her as a good person / heart of gold etc, and a genuine colossal B----. They haven't reconciled that for me. She really is aweful. The bit with her predicting Kara choosing reporter was lame.

It's my understanding from various articles covering Season 2, Calista Flockhart will be a "recurring guest star", with Cat Grant having a "more limited role". The move of production from LA to Vancouver is the primary reason behind the reduction in her presence. Which I'm completely fine with. I agree she's not a good character...but I guess there is a vocal fan base out there that just can't seem to get enough of the tired old "Rich Bitchy Lady Boss" archetype.

• Options
    I was bound and determined not to like Callista as Cat. Not a big fan of the character in the funnybooks, and while I have nothing against Callista personally (which I'm sure has kept her up nights worrying about) I've never really been a huge fan of her acting.

But she made season 1 what it was. Particularly toward the end. She had some of the best lines, and delivered them flawlessly. Yes, she was the stereotypical bitchy boss with a good heart, but she played that role quite well. She was a much needed dose of comic relief in a series that constantly walked the tightrope of taking itself TOO seriously. Frankly, I'll miss hearing "Kee-ra" as often as I did in Season 1.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I was bound and determined not to like Callista as Cat. Not a big fan of the character in the funnybooks, and while I have nothing against Callista personally (which I'm sure has kept her up nights worrying about) I've never really been a huge fan of her acting.

But she made season 1 what it was. Particularly toward the end. She had some of the best lines, and delivered them flawlessly. Yes, she was the stereotypical bitchy boss with a good heart, but she played that role quite well. She was a much needed dose of comic relief in a series that constantly walked the tightrope of taking itself TOO seriously. Frankly, I'll miss hearing "Kee-ra" as often as I did in Season 1.

Yep. All this.
  • Options
    Question about the season premiere episode: What made Supergirl suddenly give Jimmy....uh...I mean JAMES Olsen the brush off? They started out the episode all hearts and flowers...then by the end, she just wanted to be friends. Did I miss something?
  • Options

Question about the season premiere episode: What made Supergirl suddenly give Jimmy....uh...I mean JAMES Olsen the brush off? They started out the episode all hearts and flowers...then by the end, she just wanted to be friends. Did I miss something?

I've asked that question so many times.

Felt pretty real to me.

:(
  • Options
    I thought that was pretty abrupt as well...maybe the introduction of Mon-El and Me'gann means a certain Mr. Vril Dox may be showing up down the road?
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I thought that was pretty abrupt as well...maybe the introduction of Mon-El and Me'gann means a certain Mr. Vril Dox may be showing up down the road?

Oh I hope so!
  • Options
    Well, usually shows like this (especially ones aimed at the Tiger Beat crowd) at least show SOMETHING happening that precipitates the break-up. Not that I care either way (the quasi-romance always felt ridiculously trumped-up), but just can't believe the lazy character development. But I guess on a show where an employee can be offered any new career of their choosing...and then be granted said career (without any sort of training or preparation), then I suppose character relationships can also change for random or even unsaid reasons. Which brings me back to my theory that this show is actually written by a room full of 14 year-old girls.
  • Options

I took it as she was afraid of things moving forward and didn't know if she could be supergirl, Kara and have a decent relationship all at once. This was highlighted to her when she has to fly out on their date and leave him. That's why Cat gave her the jump in speech.
  • Options

But I guess on a show where an employee can be offered any new career of their choosing...and then be granted said career (without any sort of training or preparation)...

Remember the era in which we now live. If you have an ISP and a keyboard and know how to spell you're now a "reporter"...

...and you can actually strike that last part about having to know how to spell. Not really required anymore.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

Remember the era in which we now live. If you have an ISP and a keyboard and know how to spell you're now a "reporter"...

That's true. After all, the show's prime demographic is the same generation that's been told they can be anything they want to be (with no mention of effort or sacrifice) since the moment they were born. So why not just randomly decide to become a reporter?
  • Options
    I hope you were watching last night, Mark. Snapper Carr addressed all our concerns. I almost wanted to salute him. Of course he's still going to take Kara under his wing, but he's not going to make it easy for her, I don't think.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

That's true. After all, the show's prime demographic is the same generation that's been told they can be anything they want to be (with no mention of effort or sacrifice) since the moment they were born. So why not just randomly decide to become a reporter?
    And THAT's how you get Gawker.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

I can see your lawn from here.

It's got kids all over it.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

I can see your lawn from here.

It's got kids all over it.
    Original.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited October 2016

Torchsong said:

I am reading the IDW Dick Tracy Archives. He became a detective in the same fashion. The police chief just asked him if he wanted to join the force and become a detective even though he had no known experience or training and there was a conflict of interest in his first assignment. So this way of doing things is not necessarily a new development even though it makes no sense.
  • Options

I am reading the IDW Dick Tracy Archives. He became a detective in the same fashion. The police chief just asked him if he wanted to join the force and become a detective even though he had no known experience or training and there was a conflict of interest in his first assignment. So this way of doing things is not necessarily a new development even though it makes no sense.

I think you kind of have to suspend some of your disbelief when reading a comic or watching a comic-based property...I mean, Kara can't become an overnight reporter, but we have no problem with a city of intelligent gorillas living somewhere?

I'm just happy they let Carr address it, and they're not letting Kara just magically become one.