Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Supergirl TV Series Discussion

Comments

• Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    A few weeks ago the wife and I were at the WB Studios in LA to view a taping of Conan. As we were talking to Conan's studio we walked past a studio that had the Supergirl logo. The door was open and we saw part of the set -- now we know it was Kara's bedroom on Krypton from the 2nd episode. And we saw some fake stalactites outside the studio, which must be from the DEO's cave HQ.

I think the show is OK. I will continue to watch for now, but it's not a 'must-see' like The Flash.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    When I watched the Pilot months ago I thought it was terrible not even close to being as good as the Arrow and Flash pilots. And with episode 2 I feel the same.

What makes any good stand alone solo character is the supporting cast around them. What makes Arrow and Flash go is the fact there supporting cast is fantastic and Supergirl's is not. Cat Grant is terrible Jimmy is Terrible her Step Sister is terrible.

And from the moment I heard this was on CBS I had serious doubts just like I did with Constantine being on NBC that it will be able to make it.

I just don't think superhero shows are built good for places like ABC, NBC, CBS. I think it needs to be on places like CW and FOX where they don't expect insane ratings.

The one I think will work great is Titans on TNT because there the seasons will be split in half which Daredevil has shown that is the optimal choice.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I disagree that the Jimmy and Cat characters are "terrible." I also disagree that Titans will work "great" since I'm convinced they don't have as much name recognition or cache as a property like Flash or Supergirl has built in. I would agree that the writing is uneven, and I also don't like the step sister, but I find this program far more entertaining than Constantine or Gotham. The producers can't please every one all the time, I suppose.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Watched the second episode last night. Other than the ambitious and decent effects, and the likability of the star, this episode just wasn't good.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I dug the second episode more than the pilot. I think the show will need a few more episodes to really find its footing and its audience...which as I've mentioned is probably not 40-something men like me.

Discussing it with a friend, they pointed out that if show doesn't garner "Big 3" ratings (ABC/CBS/NBC) it might still find a home on the CW (the "C" in CW stands for CBS, after all). So I'll remain hopeful the show sticks around for a while.
  • Options
    The first two episodes got most of the set-up out of the way. We got our hero. We got her friends, her enemies, her family, some mysteries, plenty of action. This is a tight show. You just want to root for Supergirl.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited November 2015

I also disagree that Titans will work "great" since I'm convinced they don't have as much name recognition or cache as a property like Flash or Supergirl has built in.

What are you talking about? There is now an entire segment of the population ("kids" 30 and under) that grew up with the teen titans on cartoon network. Cyborg and Robin are more popular than Flash or Supergirl could ever hope to be.

It's the same reason for people under 35 that John Stewart is Green Lantern and the real Batman sounds like Kevin Conroy. Don't discount the power of Cartoons.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

I also disagree that Titans will work "great" since I'm convinced they don't have as much name recognition or cache as a property like Flash or Supergirl has built in.

What are you talking about? There is now an entire segment of the population ("kids" 30 and under) that grew up with the teen titans on cartoon network. Cyborg and Robin are more popular than Flash or Supergirl could ever hope to be.

It's the same reason for people under 35 that John Stewart is Green Lantern and the real Batman sounds like Kevin Conroy. Don't discount the power of Cartoons.
    I'm simply saying Flash and Supergirl have more name recognition than the TT, hence, not as broad appeal. There are plenty of people who never watched a single episode of TT or even Superfriends who know who both Flash and Supergirl are, but have never heard of Cyborg, Raven, or Beast Boy.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Well, it looks like Perd Hapley from Parks and Rec has moved to National City. (According to the third episode).
  • Options
    Third ep was sure better than the second. Much of the dialog and their arguments were pretty dumb though. How/why supergirl or anyone really gives cat grant two seconds of their time is ridiculous. How they can realistically continue to keep superman out of the show is going to be interesting and probably annoying/laughable.
  • Options
    Tonight's episode has been swapped for next week's as the original episode involved Supergirl thwarting a terrorist attack, so out of sensitivity for the incident in Paris they're running the Thanksgiving episode instead.

Just in case things seem amiss or out of continuity...
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I liked this episode a lot. I'm curious about the ending as well and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take these characters.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I liked this episode a lot. I'm curious about the ending as well and I'm looking forward to seeing where they take these characters.

I enjoyed it, but I don't think it was as strong as the Reactron episode. I enjoyed the moments between Kara and Cat, and the mystery of Henshaw is finally getting some traction, but Live Wire just didn't do it for me as villains of the week go. Still loving the show overall, though...
  • Options
    I like Live Wire and the message they were trying to send. It was a bit heavy-handed and transparent but I didn't mind it. I like the messages the show is sending and I am sure when she's old enough, I'm going to introduce my daughter to this show. She's only 4 now so by the time she's old enough to watch, the show won't be on anymore but I still think it's something that she'll like. My wife enjoys it and she usually doesn't like any of this kind of stuff.
  • Options
    Supergirl was a lot of fun. I could see why they pulled this episode for a later date but I enjoyed it. It looks like Maxwell Lord is going to be Supergirl's Lex Luthor and that's going to be quite enjoyable. I've got a lot of questions about Director Henshaw and what he actually is. Should be interesting. I'm enjoying this though.
  • Options
    I'm with you, @jaydee74. Enjoying it as well.
  • Options
    The other thing I'm enjoying is Cat Grant. I really though she was going to be like the Meryl Streep from Devil Wears Prada and for the most part, she is but there is more to the character than that and I'm enjoying it. I also like the the inclusion of Lucy Lane. It's an interesting show and a lot of fun.
  • Options
    Picked up for a full season by CBS! Way to go, Team Kara! :)
  • Options
  • Options
    I just caught up to the show. I think the Red Tornado looked much better in movement than he did in stills. I thought this episode "Red Faced" was very good and had a lot more meaning that the color of Red Tornado's face. It was pretty cool and I enjoyed the character development we get from a bunch of people as well as some cool reveals. Really enjoying this show and I'm so glad it's got a full season.
  • Options
    The Red Tornado episode reminded me of one of the 1970's live action superhero shows (Shazam, Isis).

Still liked it though. :-)
  • Options
    I think it's a nice alternative to the more adult-themed Jessica Jones.
  • Options
    Red tornado ep was pretty dopey.
  • Options
    I didn't mind Red Tornado. It wasn't the Red Tornado from the comics and once you can accept that and just realize that and realize that it's just a different version, I could get into the character.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I wasn't really I impressed with the look of the character, but on a tv budget, it was serviceable.

I kept thinking "Vision".
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Spoiler Alert:

WB: The name Martian Manhunter sounds way too stupid for movie audiences. No way we'll put him in the DCEU

DC: 'Aight, we'll put him on CBS
  • Options

Spoiler Alert:

WB: The name Martian Manhunter sounds way too stupid for movie audiences. No way we'll put him in the DCEU

DC: 'Aight, we'll put him on CBS

That's why DC television is way more awesome than their movies.