Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

"Marvel's Agent Carter" TV Show (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I thought the second (or third?) episode was really good. We got some backstory with Jarvis and it seems that Peggy is not on her boss' good side. Also, the ending of the episode just raised the stakes and I'm curious to see where this is all heading.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    jaydee74 said:

Also, the ending of the episode just raised the stakes and I'm curious to see where this is all heading.

I have a feeling each episode is going to be a freight train, with the stakes getting higher and higher. I get the impression that the Agent Carter finale will be bigger, and have much more impact on the development of the "current" Marvel cinematic universe, than people would have originally anticipated.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Hex said:

jaydee74 said:

Also, the ending of the episode just raised the stakes and I'm curious to see where this is all heading.

I have a feeling each episode is going to be a freight train, with the stakes getting higher and higher. I get the impression that the Agent Carter finale will be bigger, and have much more impact on the development of the "current" Marvel cinematic universe, than people would have originally anticipated.
    Reportedly, we're seeing some of what leads to friction between Stark & Rogers in Cap 3.

M
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    i've enjoyed it so far

YOWZAs!!!!

• Options
    edited January 2015
    i give it 2 thumbs up so far!

• Options
    it's def better than agents of shield!

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Anyone think there's ANY possibility we'll get a cameo from the Winter Soldier, Arnim Zola, or even Colonel Chester Phillips, Captain America’s commanding officer, played by Tommy Lee Jones?

Long shot I know... but it would be pretty cool.
  • Options

Anyone think there's ANY possibility we'll get a cameo from the Winter Soldier, Arnim Zola, or even Colonel Chester Phillips, Captain America’s commanding officer, played by Tommy Lee Jones?

Long shot I know... but it would be pretty cool.

I would love to see Arnim Zola. They do have him in custody at this point. I think you'll have less of a chance with Winter Soldier or Colonel Chester Phillips but yes, it would be very awesome. I am pretty sure we're seeing the Howling Commandos and I cannot wait for that.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited January 2015
    Grrrr...

Stupid HULU didn't post this week's episode Wednesday.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Grrrr...

Stupid HULU didn't post this episode Wednesday.

Perfect example of a post that demands the "Dislike" button option.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Grrrr...

Stupid HULU didn't post this episode Wednesday.

Perfect example of a post that demands the "Dislike" button option.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    My PVR didn't record this week's episode. Was it a repeat?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Aha!

Because of the State of the Union Address, there was no episode this week.

This is the kind of confusion that happens when you stop living in real time.

8-}

(All is forgiven, HULU -- OK almost all -- still sick of the endless Geico commercials.)
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Aha!

Because of the State of the Union Address, there was no episode this week.

This is the kind of confusion that happens when you stop living in real time.

8-}

(All is forgiven, HULU -- OK almost all -- still sick of the endless Geico commercials.)

Good to know!
    I blame Hydra. Their infiltration has reached the highest levels of government!
  • Options
    Ok, I've watched 4 episodes now and I have to say, I really do not like this show. At first I thought it was because my attention was divided the first time I watched it, but now I'm sure. It just isn't working for me. It's too hokey. Or rather, the lighter toned elements are played for cheap laughs based on clichéd tropes and they do not mesh with the show's more serious side which feel like they are from a different show. And then those more serious moments don't work because they've been undercut by the silliness (in a bad way) of the lighter stuff. Also, I think that Haley Atwell just isn't engaging enough to carry 8 hours of story alone. But maybe it's the material.

I'll probably watch to the end, because I want more experiments like this from Marvel, but it just wasn't for me.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I liked this last episode. I cannot wait for the next one though. Looks awesome.
  • Options
    WHAT A GREAT EPISODE!!!

too bad we can't get her to play Captain Marvel

Is the big reveal for this show.... THE INHUMANS as well?

i feel like everything Marvel is headed towards the inhumans
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    What clues are pointing toward the Inhumans? I admit some of the Marvel U's idiosyncrasies go over my head, so I may be missing something.
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

WHAT A GREAT EPISODE!!!

too bad we can't get her to play Captain Marvel

Is the big reveal for this show.... THE INHUMANS as well?

i feel like everything Marvel is headed towards the inhumans

It would certainly make sense structurally for this show to reveal a new bit of the MCU mythology which then pays off back on AoS.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Ok, I've watched 4 episodes now and I have to say, I really do not like this show. At first I thought it was because my attention was divided the first time I watched it, but now I'm sure. It just isn't working for me. It's too hokey. Or rather, the lighter toned elements are played for cheap laughs based on clichéd tropes and they do not mesh with the show's more serious side which feel like they are from a different show. And then those more serious moments don't work because they've been undercut by the silliness (in a bad way) of the lighter stuff. Also, I think that Haley Atwell just isn't engaging enough to carry 8 hours of story alone. But maybe it's the material.

I'll probably watch to the end, because I want more experiments like this from Marvel, but it just wasn't for me.

It appears we are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I'm enjoying the show quite a bit. Last night's episode was the weakest of the series so far, but it's still easily my favorite of the comic-based shows. And I like Atwell’s performance, particularly her interactions with James D’Arcy as Jarvis. They've got a nice bit of chemistry between them.

• Options

It appears we are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I'm enjoying the show quite a bit. Last night's episode was the weakest of the series so far, but it's still easily my favorite of the comic-based shows. And I like Atwell’s performance, particularly her interactions with James D’Arcy as Jarvis. They've got a nice bit of chemistry between them.
    I concur.

I'm pleased with the style of the show, and of the emphasis of plot and world-building over the soap operatics which have tended to dominate the other shows.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I'm still hoping that we'll get at least one episode of the Captain America radio show.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I found the last episode to be weak as well but I love the show. I just hope the ending does the show justice. There is a lot of plot build up and I hope it pays off in the end.
  • Options
    I really hope this series gets a follow up or two. There's great potential here to add weight to Stark, Rogers, & the whole MCU.

This latest episode could factor into the speculation that part of the Stark/Rogers/Civil War rift stems from the relationship Peggy & the Stark family had.

Also, imagine if we not only see the birth of SHIELD (with Hydra infiltration), but what if the guy wearing the whitest hat is indirectly responsible for creating these supervillains of the present. It could be revealed blood from Rogers (or even Red Skull) could've been used to create the 'miracles.'

M
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited January 2015
    It's weird. I feel like I should like it, but the elements just haven't come together for me. The sexism and resistance she meets with at work is a major part of her character arc and effects her deeply, but is constantly played for laughs. And every thug is a mook, incompetent to unbelievable degrees. The 40's setting comes off like a parody of 1940s Hollywood... Not a tribute or homage, a parody.

The you have scenes like the one with Howard Stark coming out of the girl's room covered in perfect lipstick kisses like its a cartoon. Not to mention that having a scene like that implies a. That Howard got out of the dumb waiter and this sex crazed nymph was like "a m-m-m-man!" Or b. He knocked on her door and was able to seduce her and get busy in less than 5 minutes. Either way, having this landlady represent a different aspect of sexism, then prove her to be correct seems undermining for a lame joke.

The A-plot is ok, but tonally all of the character building moments miss the mark for me. Some times by a lot. With the exception of the scene at the end of the previous episode where Peggy is trying to process the death of a colleague she disliked intensely. I thought that scene did more to illustrate what kind of person she is than the rest of the show combined.
  • Options
    Imagine if it was Howard Stark who used his sample of Rogers' blood to try & replicate Project Rebirth. Depending on the results, that could generate a rift.

M
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    To be fair, even the depiction of Tony Stark in the Iron Man films is a bit cartoonish.
  • Options
    RickM said:

To be fair, even the depiction of Tony Stark in the Iron Man films is a bit cartoonish.

Just the right touch of cartoonishness is one of the things I love about the MCU!

To quote a film which never answers its own question: "Why so serious?"
  • Options

It's weird. I feel like I should like it, but the elements just haven't come together for me. The sexism and resistance she meets with at work is a major part of her character arc and effects her deeply, but is constantly played for laughs. And every thug is a mook, incompetent to unbelievable degrees. The 40's setting comes off like a parody of 1940s Hollywood... Not a tribute or homage, a parody.

The you have scenes like the one with Howard Stark coming out of the girl's room covered in perfect lipstick kisses like its a cartoon. Not to mention that having a scene like that implies a. That Howard got out of the dumb waiter and this sex crazed nymph was like "a m-m-m-man!" Or b. He knocked on her door and was able to seduce her and get busy in less than 5 minutes. Either way, having this landlady represent a different aspect of sexism, then prove her to be correct seems undermining for a lame joke.

The A-plot is ok, but tonally all of the character building moments miss the mark for me. Some times by a lot. With the exception of the scene at the end of the previous episode where Peggy is trying to process the death of a colleague she disliked intensely. I thought that scene did more to illustrate what kind of person she is than the rest of the show combined.

Like many things in the world of comics, there tend to be varying degrees of satisfaction with the final product, artwork, style, or storytelling. I prefer to think that we simply have varying opinions on this series. There are plenty of titles heralded by people on these forums and the podcast that just have never clicked for me; I'm not into Lego's or the toys, I'm not into Doctor Who, and I don't read My Little Pony or Green Lantern, but that doesn't make their praises invalid to me. Just don't care for those titles.

Maybe that is the case here @playdohsrepublic‌