Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

"Marvel's Agent Carter" TV Show (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

Dominic Cooper is brilliant as Howard Stark. Not a RDJ parody, but moments like "now this is okay" after flipping one invention around, illustrate where Tony gets his essentric personality from.

Yes.

I hope we get to see lots more of him in Season 2.

But I don't want to see the other characters dominate the show too much. It needs to remain Peggy-centric.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I was disappointed that the Leviathan angle didn't really pay off.

The plot being about Doctor Faustus' personal revenge for his brother was kind of weak.

And communism was just a red herring.

Damn! Even with watching these episodes, I never caught the Doctor's name, and totally missed that it was Dr Faustus!! And it's so obvious too!! Boy, do I feel dumb...
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Dominic Cooper is brilliant as Howard Stark. Not a RDJ parody, but moments like "now this is okay" after flipping one invention around, illustrate where Tony gets his essentric personality from.

Yes.

I hope we get to see lots more of him in Season 2.

But I don't want to see the other characters dominate the show too much. It needs to remain Peggy-centric.
    I feel like it's optimistic to even hope for a season two, but it would definitely be cool if we got one.
  • Options

WetRats said:

The plot being about Doctor Faustus' personal revenge for his brother was kind of weak.

Damn! Even with watching these episodes, I never caught the Doctor's name, and totally missed that it was Dr Faustus!! And it's so obvious too!! Boy, do I feel dumb...
    He's not Doctor Faustus—at least that's not what I took from it. He learned his technique from a book written by Doctor Faustus, who may or may not be alive at that point. There's a scene in his second appearance where he's holding the book, and you can clearly see the author's name, and the book looks old, but it may just be well-read.
  • Options

WetRats said:

He's not Doctor Faustus—at least that's not what I took from it. He learned his technique from a book written by Doctor Faustus, who may or may not be alive at that point. There's a scene in his second appearance where he's holding the book, and you can clearly see the author's name, and the book looks old, but it may just be well-read.
    Wow.

I never get to say this.

Eric, you're wrong.

His real name was revealed as Johann Fennhoff. Ivchenko was an alias.

He's Doctor Faustus.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

That Zola cameo explains how Hydra could recruit so many willing followers.

And with the recruitment oft he Doctor, it could show how Hydra acquired /built the Faustus device. (Last seen brainwashing that Agent who now has May's face)
    Forgot about that thing.
    I wonder if we'll see even more about Project Paperclip if this series gets a renewal?
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Wow.

I never get to say this.

Eric, you're wrong.

His real name was revealed as Johann Fennhoff. Ivchenko was an alias.

He's Doctor Faustus.
    Love that he turned out to be Dr. Faustus!
    Since the Dr. Faustus' book was referenced in an earlier episode, I assumed that Ivchenko was just a student of his. I assumed that he was a TV version of "The Voice of Doom".
  • Options
    Must've not heard the name reveal, or maybe it just didn't click.

So what was the title of the book he was reading in that flashback sequence just before he hypnotizes the soldier during the operation? I looked around, and someone says he was reading the Marlowe play “The Tragical History of the Life and Death of Doctor Faustus,” but to me it looked like the author's name was Johann Faustus—the subject of that play—but that’s all I caught. It went by too quickly for me to read the whole cover, and I didn't record it. Anybody have a screen grab? It's bugging me now.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Great episode. Great show. I wish Agents of Shield had come out of the gate this good.

Hopefully this will get picked up for another short season in the summer or next winter!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    This format could be used for all kinds of good filler material to support the Marvel Movie Universe.
  • Options
    rebis said:

This format could be used for all kinds of good filler material to support the Marvel Movie Universe.

I agree. If they don't bring Agent Carter back, they should use the time period to do other minis to fill in backgrounds or supplement stories.

M
  • Options
    I don't know if just the format is enough without the characters. Part of what made it great was the performances of Hayley Atwell, and the guys who played Jarvis and Howard Stark. All 3 were very likeable and appealing characters and their dynamic together was absolutely great.
  • Options

I don't know if just the format is enough without the characters. Part of what made it great was the performances of Hayley Atwell, and the guys who played Jarvis and Howard Stark. All 3 were very likeable and appealing characters and their dynamic together was absolutely great.

I think that goes without saying. Regardless of how good the format, you wouldn't want to plug in the local community theater troop. However, using the format we could get 6 episodes of Maria Hill working at Stark. A story arc from the Fraction & Aja's Hawkeye. 6 episodes of what Sharon Carter was doing during behind the scenes during Winter Soldier. All kinds of great stuff.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I think that goes without saying. Regardless of how good the format, you wouldn't want to plug in the local community theater troop. However, using the format we could get 6 episodes of Maria Hill working at Stark. A story arc from the Fraction & Aja's Hawkeye. 6 episodes of what Sharon Carter was doing during behind the scenes during Winter Soldier. All kinds of great stuff.
    An evolution from the Marvel One-Shots into Marvel's Six-Shooters?
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    A Maria Hill series would be great.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I think Peggy spent time during Winter Soldier sleeping, taking medications, & having to be reminded where she is.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

I was actually thinking something similar. They could try 8 episode One-Shots. That might entice some of the movie stars to do a 1 hour episode.

It would be cool to see a Maria Hill side adventure. Where was she when Fury called her back to DC? Maybe a backstory mini on Justin Hammer or Lady Sif & the Warriors Three.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    They could do a Nick Fury origin.
  • Options
    Matt said:

rebis said:

I think Peggy spent time during Winter Soldier sleeping, taking medications, & having to be reminded where she is.

M
    Sharon, not Peggy.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    WetRats said:

Rotating "mini-series" would be fantastic. Although I would really like to see more Agent Carter. Really, really enjoyed this set of episodes. My only (minor) complaint is that I was wanting to see some sort of reference or cross over element with Agents of SHIELD. Some piece of technology or story thread that could be brought forward to the present.
    ... that, and more Dum Dum Dugan.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

M
    Sharon, not Peggy.
    Er...there's only 1 Carter I'm concerned with!!!! :)

M
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I forgot to bring this up: while watching the last episode my wife says "isn't iron man's computer named Jarvis".

She's watched all the Marvel movies with me and knows Howard is Tonys dad. 8 episodes in and she remembered that little tidbit from the movies.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited March 2015
    RickM said:

A Maria Hill series would be great.

only if Barney is a recurring supporting character...

that would be LEGEND... wait for it... DARY!!!!
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

only if Barney is a recurring supporting character...

that would be LEGEND... wait for it... DARY!!!!

Haaaaaaave ... ya met Thor?

• Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

M
    Sharon, not Peggy.

M
    Matt's out behind the ammo dump again. "Oh Peggy, OH Peggy!"
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    We'll get to see how the idea of more marvel mini series works out in a few short weeks when Daredevil debuts on Netflix on Apr 10.
  • Options
    phansford said:

We'll get to see how the idea of more marvel mini series works out in a few short weeks when Daredevil debuts on Netflix on Apr 10.

I'm looking forward to this. Unfortunately, one of the problems with being an old guy is that I've seen that costume before.

• Options
    rebis said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

M
    Sharon, not Peggy.

M
    Matt's out behind the ammo dump again. "Oh Peggy, OH Peggy!"
    @Matt has an ammo dump? Cool!

(Actually, it wouldn't really surprise me if he did...)