Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    You may want to watch this 1977 interview. It's the first time Alec Guiness spoke about Star Wars and it's interesting to see his initial thoughts. What's more fascinating: Lucas gave him 2.25% of the profits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyhO2uRA4FM
  • Options
    This interview is absolutely wonderful. Thanks so much for posting it!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited December 2015
    NO SPOILER - QUICK REVIEW

The movie is amazing! It feels like Star Wars but it's fresh, modern(even though it happened a long time ago). The new characters are great and play off the original cast nicely. I had read there wasn't a lot of humor but that's not true. It just doesn't have that "Jar-Jar stepping in poop" type..which is good. Lots of action and the movie moves along quickly..those two hours fly by. We're fed just enough info to know what's happened the last 30 years so we can understand the story but questions remain. It left me wanting to know more about how the characters got to this point and about where they're going from here. Lots of small Easter eggs to be found..some fly by quick so keep your eyes/ears open! 9/10
  • Options
    Thought this movie would suck. I was completely wrong - IT WAS AMAZING! Watched it 3x already...
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    kiwijase said:

JaxUr said:

kiwijase said:

Just saw it. First kneejerk impression; Ticks all the boxes without hitting any of the beats.

Is that good or bad?
    Kind of mixed. I'm a first generation Star Wars fan, having first seen the movie at age Seven. While watching this movie, I felt a certain amount of nostalgia and recognition, but I was never transported by this new movie.

We must be the same age...my butt was in a theater at age 7 watching it in 1977 as well.

Definitely a movie that took me back to those days (even treated myself to popcorn and an ICEE to help rekindle it), but at the same time I'm really into the "next generation" - Finn is a great character, how do you not fall in love with Rey, and BB8 wasn't nearly as obnoxious as I thought she/it might be.*

I think because these came off the prequels, the movie really shone for me - no wooden delivery of really bad dialogue, no stupid fart jokes, puppets not CGI, and man do I want one of those Halloween X-Wings... :)

*Yes, there's a school of thought that believes BB8 - a droid - is female
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Torchsong said:

kiwijase said:

JaxUr said:

kiwijase said:

Just saw it. First kneejerk impression; Ticks all the boxes without hitting any of the beats.

Is that good or bad?
    Kind of mixed. I'm a first generation Star Wars fan, having first seen the movie at age Seven. While watching this movie, I felt a certain amount of nostalgia and recognition, but I was never transported by this new movie.

We must be the same age...my butt was in a theater at age 7 watching it in 1977 as well.

Definitely a movie that took me back to those days (even treated myself to popcorn and an ICEE to help rekindle it), but at the same time I'm really into the "next generation" - Finn is a great character, how do you not fall in love with Rey, and BB8 wasn't nearly as obnoxious as I thought she/it might be.*

I think because these came off the prequels, the movie really shone for me - no wooden delivery of really bad dialogue, no stupid fart jokes, puppets not CGI, and man do I want one of those Halloween X-Wings... :)

*Yes, there's a school of thought that believes BB8 - a droid - is female
    From what I've read of this movie, it seems to benefit from us not knowing what's next. The prequels were new, but ultimately, we knew where the characters were going to wind up. I think if we didn't know Episodes IV-VI, the prequels might have been received a little better.

It seems as though there are character themes/journeys that are obvious here that mirror the original trilogy. If have to rewatch the prequels to see if they existed in those movies also. If not, then those prequels were worthless & made the dreaded Vadar less threatening,

M
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

kiwijase said:

JaxUr said:

kiwijase said:

Is that good or bad?

Me too. In fact, I went and saw it as part of my birthday party, as it came out just a few days after I turned seven. Empire actually came out on my birthday. A new Star Wars movie was always a great birthday present.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

Torchsong said:

kiwijase said:

JaxUr said:

kiwijase said:

Is that good or bad?

Me too. In fact, I went and saw it as part of my birthday party, as it came out just a few days after I turned seven. Empire actually came out on my birthday. A new Star Wars movie was always a great birthday present.
    It was a great period to be growing up watching movies in general. Star Wars opened the flood gates for a new kind of film. There had been time travel stories before, but nothing like Back to the future or The Terminator. Raiders Of The Lost Ark may have been inspired by old 1930's serials, but it was presented to us in a whole new way. I think it was a combination the new technology available that made this stuff look more believable, plus the moviemakers obvious emotional involvement with the material. We see this happening today with the rise of the Superhero movie. I envy each new generation of young movie goers discovering their own personal Star Wars for the first time.
  • Options
    kiwijase said:

Torchsong said:

kiwijase said:

JaxUr said:

kiwijase said:

Is that good or bad?

It was a great period to be growing up watching movies in general. Star Wars opened the flood gates for a new kind of film. There had been time travel stories before, but nothing like Back to the future or The Terminator. Raiders Of The Lost Ark may have been inspired by old 1930's serials, but it was presented to us in a whole new way. I think it was a combination the new technology available that made this stuff look more believable, plus the moviemakers obvious emotional involvement with the material. We see this happening today with the rise of the Superhero movie. I envy each new generation of young movie goers discovering their own personal Star Wars for the first time.
    Not to get too far off track, but me and my best friend went and saw Terminator opening weekend, and there might have been five people in the theater.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Torchsong said:

puppets not CGI,

For the most part. The few times CGI was used really stood out. The....

EDIT FROM DAVID-- please continue this chat on spoiler discussion. I know the could of words I just took out were super vague, but refer to a creature I think we didn't see in the trailers. And may lead to more responses where people who have seen it get specific. So better for you and Al to pick up where you left off on spoiler thread. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Torchsong said:

puppets not CGI,

For the most part. The few times CGI was used really stood out. The....

EDIT FROM DAVID-- please continue this chat on spoiler discussion. I know the could of words I just took out were super vague, but refer to a creature I think we didn't see in the trailers. And may lead to more responses where people who have seen it get specific. So better for you and Al to pick up where you left off on spoiler thread. Thanks.
    Maybe I was talking about Twi'leks! lol, I understand..I certainly don't want the discussion leading to spoilers.

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I made a GIF that basically represents my overall impression of this movie.

• Options
    The main feature on the Blu-ray's extras disc was pretty well done..and long!
  • Options
    I loved all the features on the Amazon digital version. I just watched them all last night.

From EW:

Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary.

The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script.

Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars universe.

Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life.

Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren.

John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens.

ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.

Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others.

And the deleted scenes.