Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Comments

• Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFu_dxwU-sk
    edited July 2015
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    That reel is fantastic. I love that they continue to give shout outs to how they are trying to mix the practical with the digital, and to message out that they know they are a special thing on their hands to not screw up. Can't wait.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Looks amazing. Thanks for sharing @Fade2Black
  • A) I can't wait.

B) Do you think the next video to come out will stop being coy and just start with, "NOTHING LIKE THE PREQUELS, JUST LIKE THE STAR WARS YOU LOVE"
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    The jury is still out for me on this one.

M
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    There were so many weak, un-involving trailers before Ant-Man tonight.

Then there was the Star Wars teaser.

It really works.
    Matt said:

M

The jury is out for me too, but only because the jurors all bailed on their civic duties in order to be first in line for The Force Awakens.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

M

The jury is out for me too, but only because the jurors all bailed on their civic duties in order to be first in line for The Force Awakens.
    It stems from getting severely disappointed with the prequels. I went all in with those & lost to a bluff. I'm also curious what rejected ideas Lucas presented to Disney. Abrams has done wonderful stuff, but I'm not completely sold on a fan envisioned sequel trilogy feeling anymore like the original trilogy then those prequel trilogy. This could easily be another Superman Returns.

M
    Matt said:

It stems from getting severely disappointed with the prequels. I went all in with those & lost to a bluff. I'm also curious what rejected ideas Lucas presented to Disney. Abrams has done wonderful stuff, but I'm not completely sold on a fan envisioned sequel trilogy feeling anymore like the original trilogy then those prequel trilogy. This could easily be another Superman Returns.

M

You're conversing with a guy who eagerly camped out in a parking lot (along with thousands of other Star Wars fanatics) in order to see Star Wars the Phantom Menace on opening day. I feel your pain about the prequels; I truly do. But so much of what Abrams is doing is resonating with me. The fact that his team is going out of their way to drive home the point that they're going back to real sets and real animatronics. already addresses one of my biggest pet peeves about the prequels. The original Star Wars trilogy has a certain timelessness about it (even before Lucas went back and mucked with the plumbing). The Phantom Menace, on the other hand, seems to have aged exponentially compared to A New Hope. By stressing that he's returning to the formula that worked, Abrams is basically acknowledging that the prequels were a let down, and that his team has learned from past mistakes.

Another issue I had with the prequels was the acting. Some of the poor acting stemmed from the fact that actors were interacting with characters and sets that would be added in post-production (something already addressed by returning to real sets and animatronics), but the green screen can't take all the blame. The prequels had some of the most god-awful dialog ever written. So what does Abrams do to address this shortcoming? He brings The Empire Strikes Back writer Lawrence Kasdan on board. Another reason I'm stoked about these upcoming sequels is the cast. Abrams has cast a few unknowns. Brilliant! But not everyone is a newbie. Domhnall Gleeson played the lead in About Time (my favorite movie of 2013) - seek it out if you've never seen it. When I learned that Gwendoline Christie, who plays my favorite actress on Game of Thrones, will be appearing in the sequels I literally did a fist pump. So far, the only verifiable disappointment about these upcoming sequels is the knowledge that they won't contain the 20th Century Fox fanfare intro. - and honestly, I can live with that.

Matt, perhaps your apprehensiveness concerning the sequels is the best approach. Lower your expectations and the greater the reward when the movie exceeds them, which I'm confident it will.

• bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    this is a GREAT GREAT analysis of JJ Abrams directing style and how that might translate to Star Wars FORCE AWAKENS

Star Wars - The Force of Abrams
    https://youtu.be/7tx5z1kAFwQ
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    bamfbamf said:

this is a GREAT GREAT analysis of JJ Abrams directing style and how that might translate to Star Wars FORCE AWAKENS

Star Wars - The Force of Abrams
    https://youtu.be/7tx5z1kAFwQ

That was really interesting. I like his films(and TV work) a lot so I'm sure I'll love what he does with SW.

• bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    http://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-broke-his-back/

J.J. Abrams Broke His Back on the Set of ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’
    I must have missed this before, but I just realized that the one-shot movie from Gareth Edwards (Godzilla, 2014) is actually another Star Wars prequel. I'm referring to “Rogue One,” which focuses on a band of resistance fighters who steal the Death Star plans from the Empire (just before the events of “Star Wars: A New Hope”). The standalone film is set for a Dec. 16, 2016 release.
  • They'd never be

I must have missed this before, but I just realized that the one-shot movie from Gareth Edwards (Godzilla, 2014) is actually another Star Wars prequel. I'm referring to “Rogue One,” which focuses on a band of resistance fighters who steal the Death Star plans from the Empire (just before the events of “Star Wars: A New Hope”). The standalone film is set for a Dec. 16, 2016 release.

Kinda... It is a prequel in a sense. It does take place before A New Hope and the rest of the OT and newer sequels, Episodes 7-9 that are in production right now. But the idea of it being a one-shot, and outside of the Skywalker saga (Anakin and/or Luke), is what makes it outside of the numbered episodes. So these one-shot anthology movies can be set at anytime, it seems to me. Therefore calling them sequels or prequels doesn't quite work for me. Feel free to call it that if you want, this is just my take on it. Others may have even other ideas.

They'd never be

Kinda... It is a prequel in a sense. It does take place before A New Hope and the rest of the OT and newer sequels, Episodes 7-9 that are in production right now. But the idea of it being a one-shot, and outside of the Skywalker saga (Anakin and/or Luke), is what makes it outside of the numbered episodes. So these one-shot anthology movies can be set at anytime, it seems to me. Therefore calling them sequels or prequels doesn't quite work for me. Feel free to call it that if you want, this is just my take on it. Others may have even other ideas.
    Well, I'm calling it a 'prequel' in the loosest sense in that it is the story in the same universe that takes place before the original film, similar to The Scorpion King or Prometheus. I expect we may see some familiar faces in the movie as well, so I wouldn't rule that out, but I don't expect any Roman numerals to be attached to this tale although it might be included in a future Blu-ray 'box set'
    The South Korean trailer has arrived. It's mostly the same footage, but there's a little bit of new material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-VTdsCKLgg
  • They'd never be

Well, I'm calling it a 'prequel' in the loosest sense in that it is the story in the same universe that takes place before the original film, similar to The Scorpion King or Prometheus. I expect we may see some familiar faces in the movie as well, so I wouldn't rule that out, but I don't expect any Roman numerals to be attached to this tale although it might be included in a future Blu-ray 'box set'
    This is pertinent and fairly unbiased - Wikipedia and here and finally an interesting grouping of the various types of movies here.

I'd say "prequel" in the loosest sense in that it is a story... a different story in the same universe that takes place before Episode 4 of a six part (soon to be a 9 part) saga about the Skywalkers. If any Skywalkers appear in any of the Anthology films (which it has been reported/rumored that one is, "but not as an antagonist"), the movie itself would not be critical in telling their story, whereas the episodic numbered ones are critical in telling their story(ies). The producers, who could be found out to be wrong, are giving these one-shot Anthology movies with another descriptor - "stand-alone".
    Since the opening scene from Star Wars is presumably the immediate aftermath of the conclusion of what happens in Rogue One and is the next logical act, I'm presuming there's a very good chance we'll even see Darth Vader in Rogue One, so a 'Skywalker' could be represented - so I kind of think referring to it as a prequel could be within bounds more so than the proposed "young Han Solo" stand-alone film could be. Your mileage may vary.

But, I'll concede that perhaps this technical attribution apparently matters a lot more to Lucasfilm than it does to me. Maybe I should have placed the word "prequel" is quotation marks? Again, only a "prequel" in the same spirit of the two film examples I referenced in my last response, And frankly the description of it sounds a lot more like a "prequel" to Star Wars than anything I remember from the Phantom Menace. and since THOSE Prequels generally sort of "sucked," (in my opinion), it pleases me to consider this film to be a "prequel" of sorts, albeit not a proper one :)

I can try to go by Wikipedia and Lucasfilm's attribution instructions for the purposes of this thread and will end my remarks by saying that it sounds like a very cool premise!
    So is this guy playing Biggs? If the deleted scenes from Star Wars aren't considered canon, then I suppose he could be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD7TfM8yS5I
    edited August 2015
    new footage

Yes it is. Somehow I don't think it would work for something like say "Krull"
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Judging by the merchandise I saw today, this movie will feature 100% more people getting lit on fire.