Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    The Sith Hits the Fan
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2014
    random73 said:

anybody else a little on the fence about that title?

Nope.

EDIT- Sounds great to me. Puts me in mind of the idea that the Jedi might be trying to rebuild their order... but they might not be the only ones. To me it sounds narrative, and the beginning of the third act of a saga. I'm in.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    edited November 2014
    Not even a little. It sounds pretty cool to me.
  • Options
    The first trailer for Star Wars Episode VII drops at select US theaters starting Friday during the Nov 28 – Nov 30 showings. So I suppose many of us will be checking it out on the Youtube in 3 days...
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I can still remember staying up late while my 56k modem took forever to download a bootlegged Pantom Menace trailer.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I can still remember staying up late while my 56k modem took forever to download a bootlegged Pantom Menace trailer.

Good times...

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I remember being on tour, doing my first theater job right out of college, and being somewhere on the East Coast and, not having the Internet with me as I traveled, like we do now, I had to do a lot of combined MovieFone and Atlas sourcing to figure out where we would be on Friday, and what theater had a showing of Enemy of the State.
  • Options
    That's a fan trailer. I watched it a couple days ago, here at /Film.

That site has more recently reported that iTunes will have the teaser trailer tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Both Lucasfilm and iTunes have announced the trailer will be up tomorrow. I'm no fan of the prequels, but I do remember the excitement of watching the first trailers. I'm somewhat pumped for this.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    edited November 2014
    Nice... I guess. Everything looks pretty and one of my biggest fears has so far been assuaged (lens flare).

But... I would have liked to have gotten a little of the gang. Even if it was only a split second. Just being able to see them would have made my day.

Edit: Is it REALLY going to come out next December? I thought for sure it would be May 2016. I mean... that's when Star Wars movies come out. May... not in the fall/winter
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Loved it. A really fun taste.

Some quick thoughts--

All (all?) the Lucas-produced episodes would start with space and then a ship would enter. Though I know this is a teaser, not necessarily the opening of the film, I really like that we started with organic, grounded, real things first:
    A dessert, and then a man in the midst of some high emotion moment.

I am likely reading way too much into this, but I like that- now that we are in an age of filmmaking when spectacle is so much more common, and thus a little less magical- that this teaser seems to be saying that it is going to be the characters. The people in this world, that will be the focus. Rather than just the toys. (And I like that we started with an actor, not a CGI character.)

Though nothing wrong with the toys! Seeing the Falcon again made me a delighted child.

Also-- lightsabre with a crossguard! They finally wised up after all those lost hands.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Also-- lightsabre with a crossguard! They finally wised up after all those list hands.

I kinda have a theory that guy with the crossguard might be a flashback to the ancient past. Although, Star Wars has never done anything like that.

A years worth of speculation will be spent on that lightsaber by some I'm sure, but the crossguard seems kinda ridiculous. What happens if your opponent pushes your lightsaber too close to your own body? You'd slice yourself in half. Maybe it shuts off automatically or something, or maybe its not what we think. Others are speculating that those are "exhaust vents" for an "ancient" lightsaber. We shall see I guess.

It looked Star Wars, felt like star wars. I just would have liked something, anything, even if it was only a split second of the old gang.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    So was that Benedict Cumberbatch doing the voiceover? Is he in it? I haven't been following the news about these films much.
  • Options
    I think it was Andy Serkis...
  • Options
    Totally love it. More classic Star Wars vibe in that few seconds than in all of Phantom Menace (which I almost cannot force myself to watch). I would love it if they kept the humor limited primarily to wisecracks and skipped any of the slapstick Lucas introduced into the prequels. I was so afraid Disney was going to make lighthearted romps.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

David_D said:

Also-- lightsabre with a crossguard! They finally wised up after all those list hands.

I kinda have a theory that guy with the crossguard might be a flashback to the ancient past. Although, Star Wars has never done anything like that.

A years worth of speculation will be spent on that lightsaber by some I'm sure, but the crossguard seems kinda ridiculous. What happens if your opponent pushes your lightsaber too close to your own body? You'd slice yourself in half. Maybe it shuts off automatically or something, or maybe its not what we think. Others are speculating that those are "exhaust vents" for an "ancient" lightsaber. We shall see I guess.

Yeah, the fact that, on a closer look, there is a gap, does take away the practical use of it as a crossguard that could actually catch an attack. Looks cool, though, and I love that idea of it being exhaust for an ancient style one.
  • Options
    is there a way to post GIFs in this message board? other than just a link?
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Isn't Max Von Sydow in the movie? The voiceover sounded like it started with Cumber and ended with Max. Sadly, my kids weren't as excited as I was. Ah well!
  • Options
    I'm jazzed.

Based on this teaser, I predict it will have remarkably less stiffness and gravitas than the prequels and be a lot more cool and fun... bring it.
  • Options
    A light saber with a crossguard eh? Sort of silly. The ball droid was silly too. Beyond that I think it looks great. I just want more more more!!
  • Options
    Planeis said:

is there a way to post GIFs in this message board? other than just a link?

http://postimage.org/
  • Options
    Interesting how rough the beam on the saber is. Like it was put together by someone who didn't know exactly what they were doing.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Interesting how rough the beam on the saber is. Like it was put together by someone who didn't know exactly what they were doing.

I've seen that speculated elsewhere today, which lends itself to the idea of the two little ones being exhaust.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    That could also be there purely for aesthetics and/or serve some sort of combat purpose. Out of all the Star Wars tech books I've read, I've never seen exhaust ports/vents like that on a lightsaber. That could be exactly what it is too though. Cool as hell, I like it.

The roughness of the beam could be a side effect of the crystal(s) used. If it's not smooth or clean cut I could see that effect how the beam looks.
  • Options
    I could also see the roughness as the result of someone who hasn't been properly trained trying to make a saber. At this point if Luke hasn't shown you how who else would know?
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    I dunno - is the soccer ball droid any more silly than the tiny remote controlled droids that look like a sole scraper buzzing around the Death Star (or wherever they were shown). Or the droids that look like square walking trash cans? Etc. I don't see how we can be experts on what is/isn't silly - considering most of the people who saw the original trilogy were kids with big imaginations. Haha.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    David_D said:

Planeis said:

David_D said:

Yeah, the fact that, on a closer look, there is a gap, does take away the practical use of it as a crossguard that could actually catch an attack. Looks cool, though, and I love that idea of it being exhaust for an ancient style one.
    I like the idea that it's an ancient Sith saber. The refined, smooth blade would come years later..

I'm hoping we see old Sith tombs and temples..maybe a Dark Lord is buried somewhere and one of the kids discovers his tomb and sword..maybe even his spirit is able to corrupt from beyond the grave...

EDIT: I did a search for crossguard lightsabers and found a Jedi named Roblio Darté who used one. His only had one extra mini blade but it was very similar. Of course that was old EU and no longer counts.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

David_D said:

Planeis said:

David_D said:

EDIT: I did a search for crossguard lightsabers and found a Jedi named Roblio Darté who used one. His only had one extra mini blade but it was very similar. Of course that was old EU and no longer counts.

But can be pulled from.