Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Jack Cole
    Ramona Fradon
    Tenny Henson
    Allen Jamison
    Gil Kane
    Jim Mooney

Been a huge Plastic Man since I was a kid. Thanks to seeing him on Superfriends,then his early 80s syndicated cartoon.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

@dubbat138 That was an awesome selection. I dug them all!

Thanks @RobAnderson. I keep trying to post stuff that I figure most people haven't seen. And most of the time it is stuff I own or owned at one time.

• Options

I first saw this book in my cousin's stack of comics when I was 8, and my mind was absolutely blown by the appearance of two Green Lanterns and two Flashes, and who were all those other guys!? This was the second chapter of the very first JLA/JSA team-up and it was years before I ever got to see the first chapter. The cover still gives me chills.

Art by Mike Sekowsky and Murphy Anderson.
  • Options

Whatever can be said about Dave Sim, the man knows how to design a cover.
  • Options

During the 60's, the Blackhawks had fallen into an era of campy silliness and were forced to wear terrible, gimmicky costumes. All fallout from the success of the Batman TV show. With this issue, Dick Giordano took over as editor and attempted to steer the team back to their former greatness, with help from writer Bob Haney and artist Pat Boyette. (Love this cover by Boyette.)

Alas, it was too little, too late; the book went one more issue before being canceled, and the 'hawks weren't seen again for most of a decade.
  • Options
    @Chuck_Melville ,you continue to amaze me with the great covers you are posting.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Chris Weston on the 35th anniversary 2000AD prog

• Options

A classic 80s indy comic. With a great iconic cover by Jaime Hernandez.
  • Options

A classic indy trade. This collects the story that was serialized in Eightball. Cover by Daniel Clowes
  • Options

Ed the Happy Clown was serialized in Yummy Fur in the late 80s. Cover by Chester Brown.
  • Options

A collection of Charles Burn's work from Raw and other anthologies. Something about Burns artwork always creeps me out.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Caliban said:

Chris Weston on the 35th anniversary 2000AD prog

Once again, Alan Moore shows up on the cover wearing an eyepatch!
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    dubbat138 said:

A classic 80s indy comic. With a great iconic cover by Jaime Hernandez.

Lovely. I have that issue
  • Options

Geez, some great covers being posted.

Continuing on my random journey through 1973, here's two for a Friday...

Nick Cardy

Jim Steranko

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

More goofy-ass proto-Yoda-speak!

Was Roy Thomas blurbing the covers at this point?
  • Options
    @WetRats Great, now when I read that, I can only hear Yoda's voice! ;)
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Romona Fradon is another member of the "Doesn't Get Enough Love" club.
    I have to admit that I'm not quite sure about this cover. The credits I found say it's Gil Kane. However, there's a lot of Fradon going on. Especially in the faces.
    I had to add this because it's FRIGGIN ADORABLE!
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited August 2012
    rebis said:

I have to admit that I'm not quite sure about this cover. The credits I found say it's Gil Kane. However, there's a lot of Fradon going on. Especially in the faces.

Most definitely a Gil Kane cover; looks to be one of the few, rare times that he inked his own art during that period. Ramona Fradon drew the interior story, however, and it was likely she designed the Time Commander, so maybe that's where you're seeing her style emerge.

Incidentally, it should be noted that this was Batman's first appearance in a Brave & Bold story.
  • Options

Just because I love 'em so much, here's another Detective cover by Carmine Infantino and Joe Giella, early on in Batman's 'new look' era.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Seeing these covers brings to mind of couple of things that have disappointed me. First, I don't think these early Brave and the Bold stories have ever been collected. Second, after all the hard work Johns did bringing Hawkman back and setting up such a compelling back story. DC pissed it all away without thinking twice.

I don't think either the Silent Knight or the Golden Gladiator has ever been reprinted, beyond an odd story or two here or there, but the Viking Prince was collected in a very nice hardcover edition. (There may be a trade version as well.)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745
    Yes, definitely Kane. I found my copy of this about 15 years ago at a flea market for only $2. Granted, it wasn’t in great shape, but it was in much better than $2 shape.