Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Prog 1575. Stickleback and his crew face the Tentacled horror.
    Cover by D'Israeli

• Options
    I read a lot of Black Orchid stories in the 70's -- I think maybe they were back-ups with Phantom Stranger stories? -- but I never read this run...

Bob Oksner

And another Steranko...my random draw program is on a Steranko kick!

Jim Steranko

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Caliban said:

dubbat138 said:

A classic 80s indy comic. With a great iconic cover by Jaime Hernandez.

Lovely. I have that issue

I had it years ago. But it was one of the many comics lost when my then wife set fire to part of my collection.
  • Options

I read a lot of Black Orchid stories in the 70's -- I think maybe they were back-ups with Phantom Stranger stories? -- but I never read this run...

If I remember rightly, the Adventure Comics appearances were the Orchid's original run, and, when the book shifted to other featured characters, her feature was transplanted to Phantom Stranger.

Searching my memory -- Black Orchid was created and written by the legendary Sheldon Mayer, editor of All-Star Comics and co-creator of the JSA, but better known for his cartoon work on Scribbly and Sugar & Spike. The artist was either Nestor Redondo or Tony DeZuniga, but, for the life of me, I can't recall which.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Caliban said:

Prog 1575. Stickleback and his crew face the Tentacled horror.
    Cover by D'Israeli

now this cover is awesome B-)

what about the story?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745

If I remember rightly, the Adventure Comics appearances were the Orchid's original run, and, when the book shifted to other featured characters, her feature was transplanted to Phantom Stranger.

Searching my memory -- Black Orchid was created and written by the legendary Sheldon Mayer, editor of All-Star Comics and co-creator of the JSA, but better known for his cartoon work on Scribbly and Sugar & Spike. The artist was either Nestor Redondo or Tony DeZuniga, but, for the life of me, I can't recall which.
    DeZuniga. It only went for three issues in Adventure, but they were pretty interesting.
  • Options
    @Caliban : awesome - now I need to get the book too 3:-O
  • Options

DeZuniga. It only went for three issues in Adventure, but they were pretty interesting.
    I remember all those Phantom Stranger/Black Orchid stories fondly. I need to track them down in reprints sometime (if they exist)...
  • Options

I remember all those Phantom Stranger/Black Orchid stories fondly. I need to track them down in reprints sometime (if they exist)...
    The entire Phantom Stranger run from the 60's/70's has been collected in two Showcase Presents volumes, though, unless they were teamed up, I doubt the Orchid stories were included.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745
    No, I have the Phantom Stranger volumes, and no back-ups are included except for the ones like “Dr. Thirteen” and the one “Deadman” where the Phantom Stranger shows up in the story.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys, The Phantom Stranger ones would be worth it to me on their own. I'll have to add those to my list. But, yeah, would love to read those Black Orchids, too...
  • Options

The Marvel Age makes funny!

Cover by Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott.
  • Options

For a time, EC Comics tried a few venues other than horror and sci-fi. Valor was a short-lived attempt to tell tales about men, real men, participating in High Adventure. Cover by Wally Wood.
  • Options

The 90's gave us a post-Crisis update of Rip Hunter, Time Master, and a revised approach to time travel after the wreckage of the Crisis, and featured a lot of DC guest stars. In all honesty, I thought this series was a better thought-out and executed approach to the character and the series than his original 60's run. Cover by Art Thibert.
  • Options

No idea who thought comics based on WWF would be huge. But this is one of the earliest things to be published by Valiant. Love that the Big Bossman is fighting the Mountie out in woods.
  • Options

Another early title from Valiant. From the stuff I have read the Nintendo based books sold well enough for Valiant to pay to license Magnus,Solar and Turok.
  • Options

Based on the Saturday morning cartoon,this title from Valiant actually wasn't that bad.
  • Options

This early comic from Valiant should have been titled Super Mario Land. Cause all the stories in it are based off the first Super Mario game for the Gameboy. This issue has some great Gray Morrow artwork on the interiors.
  • Options

Always loved this cover of Princess Zelda kicking ass.
  • Options

Always loved the Dr Mario games,and this comic isn't a bad adaptation of the game.
  • Options

For some reason the Bushwackers on this cover remind me of the Wonder Twins.
  • Options

by Charles Vess.

What a gorgeous cover. Charles Vess did some great pieces for Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN. Those meta-fictional adaptations of Shakespeare's plays "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and "The Tempest" are some of my favorite works in comics.

Feel free to post more of Charles Vess goodness :)>-
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Awesome (western) take on the whole Zelda thing. I wonder about the interiors and if it also was being published in Japan.

• Options

dubbat138 said:

Awesome (western) take on the whole Zelda thing. I wonder about the interiors and if it also was being published in Japan.

The interiors are decent,from what I remember. I don't have this comic anymore it was another lost in the "Great ex-wife burns part of my collection" fire years ago.

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    It's about time I post a Spider-man cover. I love this one because not only do you get a view of Spidey but you get a most of his supporting cast. I have used this cover to help cos players and artist when they have asked me "What does the back of Spider-Man's costume look like"