Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Arrow

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    ctowner1 said:

tazmaniak said:

Well, she's not a nod to the character, she is that character as she exists in the Arrow universe.

Yah..well that's the mystery though - why would they choose the name of a cosmic character from the comics for a street level type character in the show? Unless it's a hint that she will become cosmic? But that would not seem in keeping with the show in general. So that kind of a "tease" does nothing to me - it's like an arbitrary reference to the comic that makes no sense.

e
    L nny
    That's pretty much my point. I like the fact that they're incorporating characters from the DCU into the series, but it should be more than just the name pasted onto a generic character.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733

ctowner1 said:

tazmaniak said:

Well, she's not a nod to the character, she is that character as she exists in the Arrow universe.

Yah..well that's the mystery though - why would they choose the name of a cosmic character from the comics for a street level type character in the show? Unless it's a hint that she will become cosmic? But that would not seem in keeping with the show in general. So that kind of a "tease" does nothing to me - it's like an arbitrary reference to the comic that makes no sense.

e
    L nny
    That's pretty much my point. I like the fact that they're incorporating characters from the DCU into the series, but it should be more than just the name pasted onto a generic character.
    I don't think they just pasted her name onto a generic character. It's a specific character who has a specific function. There are several established DC characters who could have been used in that role, but rather than using any of them or creating an original character, they chose her. I have to imagine it was for a specific reason.

It's an Elseworlds story, as all media adaptations are. And in Elseworlds stories that take place on parallel Earths, characters we're familiar with from the mainstream continuity (comics) sometimes have different roles and characterizations. But even though they are different, they often have roles that are similar or nods to their mainstream counterparts. In an earlier post, you make the comparison to Argus being a mythological being with a hundred eyes and him being a watcher or monitor. But the comparison is more apt when talking about the actual agency.

In the mainstream comics, Harbinger is the assistant to the Monitor, a being who monitors the heroes, villains and the Multiverse. At one point, her job was to recruit various heroes to battle a threat. In Arrow, Lyla Michaels is a high-ranking agent of A.R.G.U.S., an organization that monitors the activities of the heroes and villains of the show. In the comics, the group aids/recruits superheroes, and may also within the series.

While she's not explicitly the same character as in the mainstream comics, her role on Arrow is very much like her role in the comics. It's jut a little different to fit the nature of that universe, but I think close enough that the feel and function of the character still exists in there. And who knows what may happen in the future and how much more we'll learn about her? They plan on using A.R.G.U.S. a lot more in season 2, so we'll see.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    I think it's very nitpicky if you want the exact comic versions of these characters then go read the comics. Just like with any adaption there are going to be things different then the original source material.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I love @tazmaniak 's comment about the show and agree with it 1,000% and that's why I love this show so much.
  • Options
    And I still feel that it's a cheat... and disappointing. They could just as easily name the character 'Ann Nocenti' for all the difference it makes. And maybe they should. Smallville, at least, made much closer approximations when they didn't do the exact character (Plastique, for an example). On Arrow, it feels more like they're getting paid for each DC character name they can work into the series.

Don't misunderstand me -- I'm enjoying the show, and I know they're going to try and keep the show within a specific tone. It's just one of those gadfly things that really bugs me.
  • Options
    It's just a name I don't care.
  • Options
    I can't say that I'm understanding what you're disappointed about. It feels like you're saying you believe the show is just assigning DC Comics names to random characters who have nothing to do with their comic book counterparts. I actually thinks it's the opposite. I think they're doing a very good job of sticking to their comic book roots, but tweaking them for Arrow's more grounded universe.

There's the whole point I made about Harbinger. Arrow's version of Count Vertigo wears clothing that are reminiscent of his comic book costume and he has a drug called Vertigo that simulates the effects of his powers. Brion Markov is a scientist who has created a device that can level a city, much like his powers in the comics.

I don't think they could have easily named her Ann Nocenti because it does make a difference. The character of Lyla seems to actually be based on Harbinger to some degree and not just a random character with her name.

For me, Arrow feels just like an Elseworlds comic that takes place on an Earth were superhuman abilities don't exist. The characters in that universe still have the abilities that they have in the mainstream universe, but they have them through various technological means. And even though they're different, they're still the same characters. I mean, it's a different reality, there should be notable differences. They shouldn't be exactly the same.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

I don't think they could have easily named her Ann Nocenti because it does make a difference. The character of Lyla seems to actually be based on Harbinger to some degree and not just a random character with her name.

I didn't even catch her name or that of ARGUS when I watched the episode, and I just took her for some detective or FBI agent. As such, I was actually confusing her in my head with the woman detective from Person Of Interest. (I might not have done so if I hadn't been distracted by something unrelated during the scene.) Both characters might have been interchangeable, except that the latter character is longer established and better defined for it; without knowing she was supposed to be Harbinger, I took away nothing special nor specific about her character; she was just another government agent/cop. Which is why I say that could have given her any old name for all the difference it makes, and, unless they have grander plans for her down the road, naming her for Harbinger doesn't really do much of anything. (Except to tease us with a DC character-in-name-only and not deliver up the actual character -- costume, powers and all.)
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

tazmaniak said:

I didn't even catch her name or that of ARGUS when I watched the episode, and I just took her for some detective or FBI agent. As such, I was actually confusing her in my head with the woman detective from Person Of Interest. (I might not have done so if I hadn't been distracted by something unrelated during the scene.) Both characters might have been interchangeable, except that the latter character is longer established and better defined for it; without knowing she was supposed to be Harbinger, I took away nothing special nor specific about her character; she was just another government agent/cop. Which is why I say that could have given her any old name for all the difference it makes, and, unless they have grander plans for her down the road, naming her for Harbinger doesn't really do much of anything. (Except to tease us with a DC character-in-name-only and not deliver up the actual character -- costume, powers and all.)
    I'll give you this, you are a purest. Its actually made me reassess some of the comments I've made about about new versions of comic characters, TV show versions, etc.

Although I'm not watching the show, I get what they are doing with the DCU characters in the series. Rather then have a cosmic Harbinger, you tweak the interpretation of what she represents to use her in this world. The same was done with Ra's "immortality" in The Dark Knight series. Its no Lazarus pit, but still has the same idea.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

tazmaniak said:

I'll give you this, you are a purest. Its actually made me reassess some of the comments I've made about about new versions of comic characters, TV show versions, etc.

Although I'm not watching the show, I get what they are doing with the DCU characters in the series. Rather then have a cosmic Harbinger, you tweak the interpretation of what she represents to use her in this world. The same was done with Ra's "immortality" in The Dark Knight series. Its no Lazarus pit, but still has the same idea.

M
    I am, pretty much, a purist. I don't mind a bit of tweaking; I understand that there needs to be in order to translate a comic book or strip into other media. Sometimes it takes a lot of tweaking. I don't really have a problem with that. But there's also the opposite end of that spectrum where they're just plain afraid to bite the bullet and really go all out to do the character or the series the way it was done in the comics. If you're going to give us Firestorm, say, give us G******d Firestorm then, with the fiery hair and goofy Al Milgrom designed outfit -- not just some kid in t-shirt, khakis and overcoat who transforms objects with a wave of his hand and talks to his high-school teacher by iPhone.

Or else leave it alone.
  • Options

Matt said:

tazmaniak said:

M
    I am, pretty much, a purist. I don't mind a bit of tweaking; I understand that there needs to be in order to translate a comic book or strip into other media. Sometimes it takes a lot of tweaking. I don't really have a problem with that. But there's also the opposite end of that spectrum where they're just plain afraid to bite the bullet and really go all out to do the character or the series the way it was done in the comics. If you're going to give us Firestorm, say, give us G******d Firestorm then, with the fiery hair and goofy Al Milgrom designed outfit -- not just some kid in t-shirt, khakis and overcoat who transforms objects with a wave of his hand and talks to his high-school teacher by iPhone.

Or else leave it alone.
    I agree. Also, sometimes things just don't look right trying to keep it pure. The Big Bad Blue Beetle Borg on Smallville is a great example.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

tazmaniak said:

M

Or else leave it alone.
    I agree. Also, sometimes things just don't look right trying to keep it pure. The Big Bad Blue Beetle Borg on Smallville is a great example.

M
    It looked great to me. That episode, with Booster Gold and the Beetle, was one of my favorites of the series.
  • Options

Matt said:

Matt said:

tazmaniak said:

M

Or else leave it alone.

M
    It looked great to me. That episode, with Booster Gold and the Beetle, was one of my favorites of the series.
    I thought the look of the Blue Beetle armor was ridiculous. I didn't mind the story, even Skeets as a Bluetooth piece, but the look of the armor sucked.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

tazmaniak said:

M

Or else leave it alone.

M
    I thought the look of the Blue Beetle armor was ridiculous. I didn't mind the story, even Skeets as a Bluetooth piece, but the look of the armor sucked.

M
    Well... I respectfully disagree.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

tazmaniak said:

M

Or else leave it alone.

M

M
    The Blue Beetle armor was ridiculous before they tried to turn it into a televised costume.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    tazmaniak said:

For me, Arrow feels just like an Elseworlds comic that takes place on an Earth were superhuman abilities don't exist.

Yet.
    tazmaniak said:

The characters in that universe still have the abilities that they have in the mainstream universe, but they have them through various technological means. And even though they're different, they're still the same characters.

For me, I'm not sure if I'd want to see a Black Canary without the Canary Cry. Could it be technology? Sure. Is the Canary Cry pivotal to the character? I suppose not, shes an excellent fighter (something we've already seen in the series). But I kind of hope we DO get superpowers in this world. Remember, Ollie is only going after those on the list. While the list is fun now, it does two things:

1) Limits his targets (thus limiting his exposure to other villains, etc.)

2) It WILL get old eventually.

Are we REALLY going to want to see Ollie going after people on his fathers list in season 5? Probably not. So what will happen? Ollie will start picking his targets more often (rather than just stumbling upon them). If he starts doing that, maybe his exposure to the greater crime fighting world will increase...thus the potential for the "supernatural" to occur. Really throw him off his game and watch him adjust.
  • Options
    Great episode usually the setup for the season finale episodes are usually just OK but this was really good.

The island stuff was crazy can't believe Yao Fei just got blown away like that. & who was the woman in the red heels that Fyers calls? Probably the villain of the 2nd season.

Surprised Ollie & Laurel hooked up in the 1st season but of course he won't get to be with her because he won't stop being Arrow. I think it's funny that Ollie just told Tommy to go be with Laurel then Ollie immediately hooks up with her lol.

Ollie get's his but kicked again by Malcolm. Malcolm is the best kind of villain he's a psychopath who thinks he's justified for killing thousands of people. The last episode is going to be awesome can't wait.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I'm really enjoying the show but the similarities to Batman Begins is crazy.

This Ollie Queen is very Bruce Wayne.
    The Island=Bruce's self imposed exile
    The Glades=the Narrows
    The Device they are gonna use to destroy the Glades=the microwave emitter from BB
  • Options
    The producers make no secret of the fact that they were inspired by Batman Begins.

I don't think the Island comparison is valid, though. That's been a part of the comic book mythos for decades and wasn't something that was only created for the show.
  • Options
    Great episode by far my favorite so far.

The island wasn't shown that much but what was shown was really good. I'm glade Shado seems like she'll be sticking around I like her character & the actress. & it was awesome that Ollie's 1st hit with the bow was on Fyers.

Happy that Ollie & Malcolm did have big final fight & it was awesome how Ollie beat him by putting an arrow through himself to get Malcolm.

I liked the Detective Lance stuff with Felicity & I have believed that Lance would become the Jim Gordon to Green Arrow's Batman & from this episode I think I will be right.

Moria redeemed herself a bit by telling the truth in a very big way. I loved Roy kicking but & Thea actually became a good rounded character I hated her in the 1st half of the season but now I like her.

The ending I called many months ago I knew when this episode was titled "Sacrifice" that Tommy would not become The Dark Archer & that he would die.

This series likes to do the opposite of what a normal series does. People know that Ollie is the Hood in most series no one would find out for years. Ollie hooks up with his main love interest in the 1st season again something in other series that would take years. & everyone thought that Tommy was following the rout of Harry Osborn & for that reason I knew he wouldn't.

Overall a great episode & a great Season can't wait for Season 2.
  • Options
    JDick said:

I'm really enjoying the show but the similarities to Batman Begins is crazy.

This Ollie Queen is very Bruce Wayne.
    The Island=Bruce's self imposed exile
    The Glades=the Narrows
    The Device they are gonna use to destroy the Glades=the microwave emitter from BB

This is actually why I can't watch the series. I watched 20 minutes of an episode I all I thought was "why not substitute Batman's characters & end the imitation?!"

If it wasn't that close to Batman Begins, I think I could stand it. I do know GA was basically an imitation of Batman initially, but he's changed since then.

M
  • Options
    HappenstanceHappenstance Posts: 113
    edited May 2013
    Just finished watching the season finale

Dont know if the forum has spoiler tags but they werent working when I tried them so watch out for SPOILERS! in the next paragraphs.

I thought it was pretty great. I like how the writers of this show dont always take the predictable route, both with the Glades being destroyed anyway and Tommy not just becoming the next villain. Im sad to see him go as he was a character that really grew on me over the season. His Dad not so much, he was ok as the Archer but kind of devolved into a generic badguy by the end despite some nice setup throughout the season where he seemed almost a dark Bruce Wayne.

While I still think they pretty much have no chemistry at all it was nice to see Ollie and Laurel not fall apart straight away as I expected, unfortunately though you can bet by the start of season 2 they will after both feeling guilty over Tommy.

Felicity is still hot.

I wish they had got a better actor to play Roy. Something about his facial expressions annoy me lol.

Anyone else wonder if we were going to see a slight canary cry from Laurel when she was trapped in the building?
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Pretty good episode. Didn't think Malcolm would have a second device. I guess the next season will be chaos breaking out with crime organizations jockeying for power
  • Options
    Now that's how to do a season finale!
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

The producers make no secret of the fact that they were inspired by Batman Begins.

I don't think the Island comparison is valid, though. That's been a part of the comic book mythos for decades and wasn't something that was only created for the show.

That's true...like the Arrow Cave.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    Just saw the season finale. BEST. SHOW. EVER.

There was not a single episode of this series thus far I didn't like. The hints in nearly EVERY episode to SOMETHING from the DCU (Ferris Aircraft in the penultimate episode) gave me a little thrill each time. The emotion in that last episode was through the roof. Freakin epic.
  • Options
    hawkeyehawkeye Posts: 3
    Looks like booster gold might be in a ep of arrow! http://marveldcforum.com/index.php?topic=312.0
  • Options
    What about that anti-texting and driving thing with Roy and Thea crowbarred into the episode?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    The last couple eps were good but the finale was just ok. Quite a few too cheesy moments but some decent surprises. I didn't expect either tommy or his dad to die. Thought tommy would join his dad by the end and they would disappear into the night or tom would alone. Didnt expect the earthquake to occur. I really thought Diggle was going to die. I still hate the sister and roy and basically everything about them/their relationship. Can't help but love the blonde tech girl. Happy to see Oliver man-up on the island.
  • Options

Just saw the season finale. BEST. SHOW. EVER.

There was not a single episode of this series thus far I didn't like. The hints in nearly EVERY episode to SOMETHING from the DCU (Ferris Aircraft in the penultimate episode) gave me a little thrill each time. The emotion in that last episode was through the roof. Freakin epic.

You have low standards when it comes to shows don't you? But I will say this was hands down one of if not the best season finale this season. It wasn't perfect but there wasn't enough crap to not enjoy.
    hawkeye said:

Looks like booster gold might be in a ep of arrow! http://marveldcforum.com/index.php?topic=312.0

If this happens....my nerd boner will never go limp. And if we Blue & Gold in the same ep, everyone in a three mile radius of me will die due to drowning.... FAP FAP FAP!!!