Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Arrow

Comments

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    The upcoming episode "Darkness on the Edge of Town" features another nod to the DCU: a guest character named Brion Markov (who is described as a seismologist) will appear doing business with John Barrowman's character. Fans will recall that Markov (in the comics) is Geo-Force.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1304/22/arrow.htm
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I am loving all of these nods to the comics. It's a great thing for the comic fan.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Well that was a high body count episode. That was a very good episode all around action, suspense and drama. Bringing in some nice relationship changes. Like how they are going to use Roy.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433

Well that was a high body count episode. That was a very good episode all around action, suspense and drama. Bringing in some nice relationship changes. Like how they are going to use Roy.

I'm really liking Roy's story. Good episode overall.

• Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    jaydee74 said:

I am loving all of these nods to the comics. It's a great thing for the comic fan.

I am, too. Is there a place online where someone's been keeping track of all the comic easter eggs in one place?

e
    L nny

• Options
    I'm not sure but someone somewhere must have a list on all of the nods. There are so many.
  • Options

Agreed to everything. I love Roy's story a whole lot and I'm curious to see what's going to happen with Ollie's relationship with Diggle and Tommy. Also, does anyone other than me really hope we see Shado and Slade in present time coming to Starling City?
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

Agreed to everything. I love Roy's story a whole lot and I'm curious to see what's going to happen with Ollie's relationship with Diggle and Tommy. Also, does anyone other than me really hope we see Shado and Slade in present time coming to Starling City?
    I thought the Thea/Roy relationship took a bit of a too big jump. I almost felt like I had missed an episode, but otherwise it was fine.

Was the assassin a guy from the comics?

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    ctowner1 said:

Was the assassin a guy from the comics?

Deadshot. Currently in Suicide Squad.
  • Options
    @Chuck_Melville I think @ctowner1 was possibly referring to the character played by J. August Richards who was working for the dude that was the evil rich dude of the week.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    His name was Mr. Blank. He's not from the comics, though Marc Guggenheim revealed he was initially going to be Onomatopoeia, but they decided against it.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

@Chuck_Melville I think @ctowner1 was possibly referring to the character played by J. August Richards who was working for the dude that was the evil rich dude of the week.

yah..that's the guy I meant. The black guy who killed the bad guy by squeezing an embolism into his arm with a 15 minute kill delay.

Does Onomatopoeia have similar talents? Don't know that character.

e
    L nny

• Options
    J. August Richards in this role of Mr. Blanks was kind of cool. I only really know him as Charles Gunn from Angel so seeing him in a bad guy role was quite interesting. I just wikipedia-ed Onomatopoeia and he seems pretty interesting. I like his design and he has a cool habit of collecting masks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia_(comics)
  • Options
    My mistake; I thought he was referencing Deadshot.

Whoever Mr Blank is, he's got nothing in common with Onomatopoeia, who was essentially a serial killer who targeted costumed heroes and kept their masks as souvenirs. He also had a habit of vocally echoing sounds made in his generally vicinity.
  • Options
    I told my wife that maybe Diggle could go work for Tommy but I don't know if Diggle knows if Tommy knows.

Ollie pissed everyone off I thought they were going to play the music form Everyone Hates Chris and substitute Ollie.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Really liked this episode I love Roy's story right now. I like how Ollie & Digg's roles have switched it was Digg at the start who was trying to bring Ollie back from the edge but now Ollie will have to bring Digg back from the edge.

The island stuff is good still think Ollie & Shado will hook up Yao Fei sucks why would he roll on Ollie & Slade now when Shado is free?

I say it now Tommy will not become the Dark Archer he will die for real in the season finale.

& this episode explains why Ollie needs a Sidekick because if he did he could have sent Roy to deal with the guy who hired Mr Blank & Ollie could have gone after Dead Shot.

• Options
    I could see Diggle joining A.R.G.U.S. (is that the secret agent group?) I'm not sure I see Tommy dying but I see his resentment of Ollie being very interesting.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I could see Diggle joining A.R.G.U.S. (is that the secret agent group?) I'm not sure I see Tommy dying but I see his resentment of Ollie being very interesting.

Are they doing ARGUS on the show? I must've missed that.

ARGUS in the current NewDC is the Government agency that interacts with the Justice Leagues, and is run currently by Amanda Waller; Steve Trevor has been the League's liaison with ARGUS.
  • Options
    In the latest episode where there is a woman that Diggle knows who is working on a plan to take down Deadshot. She is a member of A.R.G.U.S. whose team more or less gets owned by Deadshot at the end. I had heard something about the group making a bigger appearance in the 2nd season as well.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

In the latest episode where there is a woman that Diggle knows who is working on a plan to take down Deadshot. She is a member of A.R.G.U.S. whose team more or less gets owned by Deadshot at the end. I had heard something about the group making a bigger appearance in the 2nd season as well.

I missed the whole thing about her being with ARGUS; I just thought she was FBI or CIA. That'll teach me to pay more attention.
  • Options

jaydee74 said:

I missed the whole thing about her being with ARGUS; I just thought she was FBI or CIA. That'll teach me to pay more attention.
    Did you also miss her name? It's Lyla Michaels and her codename during the Deadshot mission was Harbinger.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

jaydee74 said:

Did you also miss her name? It's Lyla Michaels and her codename during the Deadshot mission was Harbinger.
    Is Lyla Michaels the name of Harbinger in the comics? who was Harbinger again? Wasn't she involved in Crisis on Infinite Earths? Or is there some more street level character w/that name?? (my Marvel stripes are showing here! lol).

e
    L nny
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Lyla Michaels is indeed the name of Harbinger who was involved in Crisis on Infinite Earths. This is an excerpt from her wikipedia page:
    Television
    A reinterpreted Lyla Michaels appeared in the television series Arrow episode "Unfinished Business" as an old friend of John Diggle from Afghanistan. She is implied to work at A.R.G.U.S., and Diggle gives her information relating to Deadshot, in order to try and help avenge his brother's death. She also appears in an earlier tie-in comic in which Dig meets her for a second (or possibly first) time. Lyla is played by Audrey Marie Anderson. In the following TV episode "Home Invasion," she sets up a sting to capture Deadshot and uses the codename Harbinger.
    I think it's just another example of a great nod to the DC Universe in general. I love it.
  • Options
    Personally, I'm getting a little bugged by the 'nods'. If they're not going to use the character, why bother to use the name? I'd much rather see Harbinger than a government agent with her name. Granted, the parallel-world-hopping agent of the Monitor isn't a good fit for the tone of this show, but I find this more of a cruel tease than a 'nod'.

(Gripe aside, I just realized how clever it was to have Harbinger as an agent of ARGUS -- Argus being the mythological giant with a hundred eyes -- a true watcher or, if you will, monitor...)
  • Options
    Well, she's not a nod to the character, she is that character as she exists in the Arrow universe.
  • Options
    The last episode was really good my favorite so far. Ollie was more like Green Arrow then ever before. & the finally couple of episodes are gonna be awesome can't wait for the next episode.
  • Options
    JoeSergiJoeSergi Posts: 78
    So could the reference to "ray and jean" be a nod to Ray Palmer and Jean Loring?
  • Options
    They mentioned Ted Kord.
  • Options

They mentioned Ted Kord.

A small spoiler Stephen Amell said we'd see Kord Industries before the season is done.

• Options
    tazmaniak said:

Well, she's not a nod to the character, she is that character as she exists in the Arrow universe.

Yah..well that's the mystery though - why would they choose the name of a cosmic character from the comics for a street level type character in the show? Unless it's a hint that she will become cosmic? But that would not seem in keeping with the show in general. So that kind of a "tease" does nothing to me - it's like an arbitrary reference to the comic that makes no sense.

e
    L nny