Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: General News and Discussion.

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Photobucket

Red Dwarf X: have they still got the smegging goods?

The Red Dwarf crew – Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and the cat – are back, on Dave, following a 13-year break. But is there any sign that the characters' fabled chemistry is still there?

I can't wait to see this. I love Red Dwarf. But I am betting over here in the States it will go straight to dvd. I wonder if in this series they will explain what happened to Kochanski?

• Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    dubbat138 said:

Photobucket

The Red Dwarf crew – Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and the cat – are back, on Dave, following a 13-year break. But is there any sign that the characters' fabled chemistry is still there?
    I can't wait to see this. I love Red Dwarf. But I am betting over here in the States it will go straight to dvd. I wonder if in this series they will explain what happened to Kochanski?

Isn't it supposed to air on PBS?
  • Options
    Syfy has acquired the US basic cable rights to Primeval: New World. Last month, they purchased the rights to Sky1's Sinbad.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

dubbat138 said:

Photobucket

Isn't it supposed to air on PBS?

See I heard that the last Red Dwarf season that aired on Dave in the UK was suppose to air on PBS. But it never aired on my local PBS. I ended up getting the episodes by other means. Then bought the dvd set once it came out. I am hoping BBCAmerica might air it over here in the states. Speaking of BBCAmerica why are they airing stuff like X-files,Star Trek TNG and Escape from New York? And why aren't they airing stuff like Red Dwarf,The Young Ones,The Tribe and Are you being Served?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

Speaking of BBCAmerica why are they airing stuff like X-files,Star Trek TNG and Escape from New York? And why aren't they airing stuff like Red Dwarf,The Young Ones,The Tribe and Are you being Served?

Exactly. When I finally got a package that included BBCAmerica, I couldn't wait to watch Monty Python, Young Ones, classic Doctor Who, Blake's 7, The Prisoner, and countless other shows, including ones I'd heard of but never seen. I imagined this treasure trove of 50-60 years of British television. Instead, I'm stuck with reruns of US shows that are readily available on Netflix, British reality shows, and '80s films. I rarely channel surf, yet in the past year I've stumbled on them airing The Hunt For Red October no less than three times. Why are they paying for the rights to these things when they have vaults filled with stuff they already own?
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    WetRats said:

Ankh-Morpork City Watch TV series in development!

Holy cow.*

*Say, where is my cow?**

**The preceding footnote was an homage to Sir Terry, as is this one.

Oh, my! And Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett's Good Omens as well.
    This made my day, and it's not even 8:00AM yet (I'm in California).
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457

Photobucket

I thought this latest incarnation was much more reminiscent of the Red Dwarf of long ago than the Back to Earth mini-series. The characters have all aged a tad, but none so much that they looked out of place.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

WetRats said:

Ankh-Morpork City Watch TV series in development!

Holy cow.*

*Say, where is my cow?**

**The preceding footnote was an homage to Sir Terry, as is this one.

Oh, my! And Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett's Good Omens as well.
    This made my day, and it's not even 8:00AM yet (I'm in California).
    I'm pleased about Good Omens, of course, but The Watch as a procedural series thrills me silly.

Can't wait to see the casting!

So many great characters:
    Sam Vimes and Captain Carrot, of course.
    Lord Vetinari!
    Colon & Nobbs!
    Angua!
    Cheery Littlebottom!
    Detritus!
    C.M.O.T. Dibbler!
    Lady Sibyl!
    Reg Shoe!
    Constable Visit!
    Downspout!
    Igor!
    Wee Mad Arthur!
  • Options
    Captain Carrot? Really!? ...with or without the Zoo Crew?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Captain Carrot? Really!? ...with or without the Zoo Crew?

Carrot Ironfoundersson, Captain of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, is so named because of his red hair and being rather carrot-shaped.

Read "Guards! Guards!"

Trust me on this.
  • Options
    The Mindy Project got picked up for a full season but Ben and Kate didn't? The Mindy Project is to RomCom for me and I thought it would be for the avg FOX viewer as well. Ben and Kate is a sweet family comedy with dumb humor in it that feels more like FOX than the Mindy Project, Here's hoping BnK gets great ratings for the remaining eps so it get's picked up.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Ben and Kate did get a full season pickup. Like the article says, it's full season will consist of fewer episodes because Fox has a midseason show that will replace it. It's only 3 less than The Mindy Kaling Project. Still a full season.
  • Options
    Daniel Knauf, creator of HBO's Carnivale, has been tapped as showrunner/head writer of NBC's Dracula

• Options
    Sorry but a full season to me is not 6-10eps unless the show is from the UK, is on it's final season or is on one of the pay channels like HBO. The article makes it sound like BnK is on a short season and will then be judged from there while The Mindy Project is being picked up for what is more commonly known as a full season (18-26 eps). I did misread the article the first time and missed that The Mindy Project is getting 9. Saw the FULL SEASON and thought around 20,like it is has been for so many years.

I know a lot of networks are testing out short seasons with comedies to see if viewers will like it,stand it and make them want more for the next season. While I think that's smart for a comedy.It just doesn't scream real full season and says that the networks don't have confidence their shows. It makes me think the show is a mini series and I shouldn't waste my time on something that won't be around until I can watch it as a whole.
  • Options
    I don't know why the article doesn't state it, I guess they assume people automatically know how many episodes were originally ordered, but the back-order brings The Mindy Kaling Project up to 22 episodes and Ben and Kate up to 19 episodes.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well then I guess I typed all that out for nothing,lol. Glad BnK is a real full season;hope it starts to do better. Didn't think I would enjoy it but I am.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Is there no love for Last Resort? My son and I are really digging it. Something about Andre Braugher delivering such terrifically bat$hit crazy lines as "...we'll all burn together."
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    edited October 2012
    tazmaniak said:

NBC delays the return of Community and Whitney

The article does state that the shows could be moved to a more lucrative time slot
    The network announced in May that it would premiere Community and Whitney on October 19 and air them in the Friday 8 PM hour. Now both shows’ return has been postponed, with Grimm reruns slated in the Friday 8 PM slot for the time being. The idea of launching a comedy block with younger-skewing comedies on the low-trafficked Friday night raised eyebrows in May. It was a decision made before the arrival of Jeff Bader as NBC’s new head of scheduling in August. In its statement today, NBC hints that Community and Whitney may be relocated to a higher-profile night Monday-Wednesday as replacements.
    I hope this could be the case (for Community at least)
  • Options
    Haven't seen it yet; it's up against Big Bang Theory.
  • Options
    First look at Da Vinci's Demons, an upcoming Starz! historical fantasy adventure created by David Goyer.

"The series stars Tom Riley as Da Vinci and tells the "untold" story of a 25-year-old Da Vinci during his turbulent youth in Renaissance Florence as the artist, inventor, swordsman, lover, dreamer and idealist struggles to live within the confines of his own reality and time. He begins to not only see the future but invent it."

The 8-episode series debuts next year.

The Hollywood Reporter

• Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited October 2012
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/cbs-pulls-made-in-jersey-undercover-boss-joins-friday-lineup-nov-2/

1st cancellation of the season

"We have the first official casualty of the 2012-13 season. CBS has pulled low-rated new drama Made In Jersey off the schedule after two airings. Starting November 2, unscripted series Undercover Boss will return to CBS’ Friday lineup in the 8 PM slot it occupied last spring.

Effective immediately, CSI: NY will move back to the 9 PM hour where Made In Jersey had aired. In the next three weeks, NCIS and Hawaii Five-0 repeats will air in the 8 PM hour. Undercover Boss, which just won an Emmy for best reality series, performed well on Friday in the spring. Meanwhile, Made In Jersey faltered this fall, opening overwhelmingly and then falling a steep 27% to a 0.8/3 last Friday, prompting our prediction that CBS would likely summon Undercover Boss on the night soon. The move of CSI: NY to 8 PM has hurt the aging crime drama, which posted steep year-to-year declines. It also negatively affected 10 PM Blue Bloods, down in the ratings with the weak Made In Jersey lead-in. CBS had one of its worst ratings finishes last Friday, which likely led to the swift action. Made In Jersey starred Janet Montgomery as a street-smart New Jersey girl working for a top Manhattan law firm.

Another new drama that is struggling mightily this fall, Fox’s The Mob Doctor (0.9/2 on Monday), also is getting off the air, but that is for a three-week baseball pre-emption. It remains to be seen whether it will come back afterward."

a bit of a one-note and hardly had a chance to get running. TV is tough...
  • Options
    @hauberk I love the show. Great cast,excellent writing,and the acting on Andre Braugher part is out of this world. I really hope it picks up viewers but the time slot that it's in and the fact that it's serialized is going to make it hard for viewers to turn in.

@electric_mayhem I'm shocked that it was the first canned show this season. Can't say I'm surprise that it got canned,just how fast. It actually wasn't bad but it wasn't really good either.

My $ was on The Mob Doctor being the first to go. I know FOX is trying to fill the void of HOUSE not longer being on the air but this is not the show to do it.
  • Options
    I'm guessing this is the season not to be from the mob or Jersey.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm actually not surprised. I really think CBS realized it was a dud (at least ratings-wise) after the first episode. Fringe is a show that's always on the verge of cancellation and barely got this final season, but it's season premiere had the exact same demo rating as Made In Jersey's series premiere. That's really poor for a new CBS show to match a Fox show that's on it's way out. Made In Jersey's premiere barely beat a rerun of Last Resort.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Count me in as on board with Last Resort as well. There are some things I would change, like the lady model scientist who I don't believe for a second, but it is all worth it for Braugher, and for getting back a little bit of that BSG military melodrama feel.
  • Options
    I'm also pulling for Last Resort. I would hate to see 3 consecutive Shawn Ryan series get canceled after 1 season.
  • Options
    Ed Brubaker has sold projects to Fox and NBC, both of which he'll write and executive produce.

Deadline
    The first is Rising Suns, from 20th Century Fox TV and executive producer Kyle Killen, who was creator of NBC’s short-lived Awake last season. Brubaker’s crime thriller for Fox centers on an American Yakuza underboss fighting for his life as he becomes involved with the female FBI agent hunting him.

Brubaker also has set up at NBC an untitled secret agent project about a young female agent-in-training who is part of her agency’s cleanup crew, shadowing a more famous agent erasing all traces of his missions. Universal TV is behind it with executive producers Peter Traugott and Rachel Kaplan.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Is there no love for Last Resort? My son and I are really digging it. Something about Andre Braugher delivering such terrifically bat$hit crazy lines as "...we'll all burn together."

It and Arrow are the only new shows I am watching this season. But I get a feeling Last Resort will get one season then be cancelled.