Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: General News and Discussion.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Curious if any of you guys watch the guilty pleasure that is Big Brother?

I thought the season was going to suck, but wow, was I wrong.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    edited September 2012
    Ah, yes.

The dearth of programming I actually intend to and make an effort to watch each summer leads me to tune into Big Brother.

I don't hate the show, it is just that I know that if there was anything on opposite it, I'd probably never tune in.

That said, this summer is one of the better in memory. I hate to root for someone that has already won, but Dan has completely changed the type of game he played from the first time around, and when he somehow managed to come up with a plan a couple of weeks back to have his biggest enemy in the house to save him from eviction, join forces with him, and then turn right around and get that guy out of the house? He absolutely deserves to win.

He is just playing at a completely different level than the others. Before this season, I absolutely believed that Dr. Will was the best player ever in this game, but if Dan manages to win it all, he'll take the title.

It does amaze me that Danielle keeps coming back to him, though. It is like an abusive relationship - she just takes it, and then comes back.
  • Options

Ah, yes.

The dearth of programming I actually intend to and make an effort to watch each summer leads me to tune into Big Brother.

I don't hate the show, it is just that I know that if there was anything on opposite it, I'd probably never tune in.

That said, this summer is one of the better in memory. I hate to root for someone that has already won, but Dan has completely changed the type of game he played from the first time around, and when he somehow managed to come up with a plan a couple of weeks back to have his biggest enemy in the house to save him from eviction, join forces with him, and then turn right around and get that guy out of the house? He absolutely deserves to win.

He is just playing at a completely different level than the others. Before this season, I absolutely believed that Dr. Will was the best player ever in this game, but if Dan manages to win it all, he'll take the title.

It does amaze me that Danielle keeps coming back to him, though. It is like an abusive relationship - she just takes it, and then comes back.

For me, BB is like a guilty pleasure. Production is cheap, and the show's a bit trashy, but there's usually some factor or another that makes me unable to turn away, for the most part.

There are usually times in the season where I'll miss a few episodes and won't care. This season, I've seen every episode, plus some After Dark and Live Feeds stuff. (Not that I'll ever pay for the Feeds. I'll never be that dedicated)

That being said, I love Dan and his game. And to me, Dan's already eclipsed Dr. Will, as he made it further in his second go-around. But yeah, if he wins again, there will be no doubt.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    We ALL are on Big Brother.....
  • Options
    We all float down here.
  • Options
    All for one, and--

Never mind.
  • Options
    Anyone check out Revolution?

It is like Jericho and Flash Forward had a baby. Loved Jericho. Hated Flash Forward.

Billy Burke is decent, and I think that Giancarlo Esposito is generally great in everything he's in, but the rest of the actors are pretty terrible.

I probably won't be tuning in again. I think they missed the mark on this. With these types of shows, part of the fun is getting to see the aftermath of the "event" that leads to the downfall of humanity/civilization/technology. It is why I liked Jericho, and why I enjoy The Walking Dead. Not seeing that is also my biggest gripe against shows like Falling Skies, that take place long after the "event" occurred.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

It is like Jericho and Flash Forward had a baby. Loved Jericho. Hated Flash Forward.

Billy Burke is decent, and I think that Giancarlo Esposito is generally great in everything he's in, but the rest of the actors are pretty terrible.

I probably won't be tuning in again. I think they missed the mark on this. With these types of shows, part of the fun is getting to see the aftermath of the "event" that leads to the downfall of humanity/civilization/technology. It is why I liked Jericho, and why I enjoy The Walking Dead. Not seeing that is also my biggest gripe against shows like Falling Skies, that take place long after the "event" occurred.

I am gonna wait till season 1 of Revolution is over before I start to watch it.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

I am gonna wait till season 1 of Revolution is over before I start to watch it.
    Hope it lasts that long.
  • Options
    And speaking of new shows, I gave The Mob Doctor a chance.

I liked it, and am down for a few more episodes. Maybe even the whole season.

That is, like I said in the above post, if it lasts that long.
  • Options
    Revolution was good. It answered a lot of questions up front but left just enough to entice viewers to return for new eps. The acting was hit or miss but I can over look that as long as they don't pull a LOST and just keep giving us more unanswered questions without answering ones already asked. It's got me for a least a few more eps.

The Mob Doctor was not very good. The main char is a hypocrite who bicthes about other people moral choices but doesn't give a second thought about her own;the other chars are dull and uninspired and finally it feels like they are trying way to hard to reproduce HOUSE. Like all new shows I will watch at least 3 eps before I decide if I'm going to watch it for the season or not. I feel though that choice may be chosen by FOX by that time.

Bones was decent up till the end then it was real good. Looking forward to them expanding the whole, he's not who we think he is thing and finding out why the FBI agent picked up the flower at the end. Who thinks Max is going to find Palont and kill him?
  • Options
    Season/series premiere ratings.

Monday, September 17th
    Revolution - 11.65 million viewers, 4.1/11 A18-49
    Bones - 7.82 million viewers, 2.3/6 A18-49
    The Mob Doctor - 5.09 million viewers, 1.5/4 A18-49

Tuesday, September 18th
    No premieres
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited September 2012
    Oops, posted in wrong thread - deleted - sorry about that.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Tonight's going to be awesome for me.

Got the Survivor premiere at 8, and then the Big Brother finale at 9:30.

With BB done, I can finally get back on track with watching good tv that doesn't make me feel dirty. Like Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, and Homeland )when the latter two premiere)!
  • Options
    I plan on watching the season premiere of Boardwalk Empire tonight. I recorded it Sunday night. Rumors I am hearing is that this season is set a few years after the end of season 2.
  • Options
    There is absolutely nothing on any of the networks that I want to see tonight, nor was there anything last night. I'll be tuning to the CBC in Canada for a show based on the Titanic. I'm not sure if it's a documentary or a docudrama, but it sounds more interesting than anything else I see listed.
  • Options

There is absolutely nothing on any of the networks that I want to see tonight, nor was there anything last night. I'll be tuning to the CBC in Canada for a show based on the Titanic. I'm not sure if it's a documentary or a docudrama, but it sounds more interesting than anything else I see listed.

I gave up on broadcast TV a few years ago. It seems that the few shows on them I would watch are lucky enough to get 1 season. Where as crap like CSI Miami,and all the other CSI like shows stay on the air for years.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

I plan on watching the season premiere of Boardwalk Empire tonight. I recorded it Sunday night. Rumors I am hearing is that this season is set a few years after the end of season 2.

I think you'll like it.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

I think you'll like it.

I am sure I will. I watched season 1 when it hit dvd last year. And was hooked. Acquired copies of season 2. And got HBO just so I can watch season 3. It helps that I am a huge fan of Steve Buscemi.
  • Options
    Ended up watching "Avengers" and "Dark Knight Returns part 1" tonight instead of Boardwalk Empire. Avengers was as good as when I saw it in theaters. Dark Knight was good, but I wish they had left in Batman's inner monologues. Plus I wonder why they are waiting a year to release the second part.
  • Options

Unfortunately, the premiere did very poorly. So poorly that it was actually beaten by a rerun of 2 Broke Girls. If it's numbers were this low when The Voice was the only other new network show in it's slot, I can't imagine how low they'll be next week when 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly and Dancing With the Stars return.

It just may be the first cancellation of the season. The Playboy Club debuted last year to slightly higher numbers and it got pulled after 3 episodes.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

I gave up on broadcast TV a few years ago. It seems that the few shows on them I would watch are lucky enough to get 1 season. Where as crap like CSI Miami,and all the other CSI like shows stay on the air for years.
    Well, I haven't quite given up on broadcast TV... there just wasn't anything I wanted to see tonight. But tomorrow I'll have both Big Bang Theory and Person Of Interest to watch.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Unfortunately, the premiere did very poorly. So poorly that it was actually beaten by a rerun of 2 Broke Girls. If it's numbers were this low when The Voice was the only other new network show in it's slot, I can't imagine how low they'll be next week when 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly and Dancing With the Stars return.

It just may be the first cancellation of the season. The Playboy Club debuted last year to slightly higher numbers and it got pulled after 3 episodes.
    Son of a --!

Thanks for the info, @tazmaniak. Disappointing, but good to know.

• Options
    And finally, Big Brother has come to a close. Nice to see we had a deserving final two. (Sorry Danielle!)

Way to go, Ian. I think with his win, and with Frank's America's Choice prize, this show should get a hint and keep the focus on new players, not veterans.
  • Options

Wednesday, September 19th
    Survivor: Philippines - 11.22 million viewers, 3.1/10 A18-49
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited September 2012

Thursday, September 20th
    The Office - 4.32 million viewers, 2.1/6 A18-49
    Parks and Recreation - 3.52 million viewers, 1.7/5 A18-49
    SNL Weekend Update Thursday - 5.16 million viewers, 1.6/5 A18-49
    Up All Night - 3.14 million viewers, 1.3/4 A18-49
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    edited September 2012
    I just watched the first episode of the last season of The Office. No Ryan or Kelly in the final season? Kinda stinks. I know Mindy is launching a new series, but I liked their characters in the background. I hope they can bring back Micheal for the final episode. It would be easy to come with a reason for him to be around. From a simple visit to old friends, to him taking a position with Dunder Mifflin again, it wouldn't be hard to manage one episode.

The show had a great run, and it has started to feel like its running out of gas, but I'm a little sorry to see it go.