Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: General News and Discussion.

Comments

• Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    dubbat138, I can't wait to read your thoughts. Even as I type this, I'm still quite disappointed.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Dman said:

dubbat138, I can't wait to read your thoughts. Even as I type this, I'm still quite disappointed.

I might end up watching it before I lay down in a few hours. Thanks to another forum I got a spoiler.

• Options
    Ok just watched last night's Sons of Anarchy. WOW that really sucks. Now I know the creator has said it is based on Hamlet. I haven't read that since high school which was 20 years ago. But didn't Hamlet's best friend die?

Can't say I was disappointed. Thinking back about the last few episodes they have been foreshadowing what was coming. I wonder if the actor wanted off the show? Trying to stay vague here so I don't spoiler it for anyone that hasn't seen it yet.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited September 2012
    Season/series premiere ratings.

Tuesday, September 25th.

NCIS - 20.48M viewers, 4.1/12 A18-49

NCIS: Los Angeles - 16.74M viewers, 3.4/9 A18-49

New Girl - 5.35M viewers, 2.8/9 A18-49

New Girl - 5.18M viewers, 2.8/7 A18-49

Ben And Kate - 4.21M viewers, 2.1/6 A18-49

The Mindy Project - 4.67M viewers, 2.4/6 A18-49

Vegas - 14.85M viewers, 2.5/7 A18-49

Private Practice - 6.45M viewers, 1.9/5 A18-49

Non-premiere

The Voice - 11.57M viewers, 4.2/13 A18-49

Dancing with the Stars: All Stars - 11.79M viewers, 2.1/6 A18-49

Go On - 6.90M viewers, 2.7/7 A18-49

The New Normal - 5.09M viewers, 2.0/5 A18-49

Parenthood - 4.85M viewers, 1.8/5 A18-49
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    So...

is Revolutions worth a second look? Or is it just another "The Event".
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

NPH says that season 8 of How I Met Your Mother will be the last.

omg.yahoo.com/news/neil-patrick-harris-season-8-met-mother-most-181807792.html

of course! Cobie Smulders has Hydra Agents to shoot.
  • Options

So...

I gave up on it after the first 30 minutes of the first episode. Given NBC's track record with genre shows I will be surprised if it gets more than one season.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    dubbat138 said:

I gave up on it after the first 30 minutes of the first episode. Given NBC's track record with genre shows I will be surprised if it gets more than one season.

Or, Each subsequent season will be lacking.
  • Options

So...

I'm still with it. I'm finding it enjoyable so far, but still have some reservations. We'll see how it is after a half-dozen episodes, see where the story takes us and how the characters develop. I'm having some difficulties with the heroes, but I do like the militia general - he's tough and a bit vicious, but has a human side and believes what he's doing really is for the best of the country.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    dubbat138 said:

So...

So...

I'm still with it. I'm finding it enjoyable so far, but still have some reservations. We'll see how it is after a half-dozen episodes, see where the story takes us and how the characters develop. I'm having some difficulties with the heroes, but I do like the militia general - he's tough and a bit vicious, but has a human side and believes what he's doing really is for the best of the country.
    I keep hearing things like what both of you guys said.

I'll wait another week or so, and see how the show's doing.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited September 2012
    If a show is initially interesting, I like to give it some time to develop and show me what it's got. Usually, if it isn't a complete turkey, it takes a couple of months, especially if it's a serial as opposed to a series of self-contained episodes, to really get rolling and get past all of the obligatory introduction and set-up episodes. By the sixth or eighth episode, Revolutions should be at a point where we have a better grasp as to what's going on and as to where the show's going, literally and thematically. Hopefully, most of the questions will be answered by that point, leaving only one or two big ones to lead us through to the end of the season.
  • Options
    I don't watch the show but I know a lot of you do. Sons of Anarchy actor (Johnny Lewis ) found dead. Not sure if he was a lead or just a guest.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/27/showbiz/hollywood-murder-mystery/index.html
  • Options
    Season/series premiere ratings.

Wednesday, September 26th.

The Middle - 9.16M viewers, 2.9/9 A18-49

Modern Family - 14.44M viewers, 5.5/15 A18-49

Criminal Minds - 11.73M viewers, 3.1/8 A18-49

Law & Order: SVU - 7.19M viewers, 2.1/6 A18-49

The Neighbors - 9.22M viewers, 3.2/8 A18-49

CSI - 10.76M viewers, 2.5/7 A18-49

Non-premiere

The X Factor - 9.63M viewers, 3.4/10 A18-49

Survivor: Philippines - 10.31M viewers, 3.1/9 A18-49

Animal Practice - 5.19M viewers, 1.4/4 A18-49

Guys With Kids - 4.84M viewers, 1.6/5 A18-49
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I don't watch the show but I know a lot of you do. Sons of Anarchy actor (Johnny Lewis ) found dead. Not sure if he was a lead or just a guest.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/27/showbiz/hollywood-murder-mystery/index.html

He was on the first 2 seasons as "Half Sack". But died at the end of a season. Sounds like he might have been on some major drugs. He wasn't one of the main actors on the show. But he was in just about every episode of the 2 seasons. And played a major role in the last episode of Season 2. I wonder know if maybe he was killed on the show cause they knew he had drug issues?

• Options
    I understand all but 7 and 8. 7 was good, it has a movie feel to it and 8 as far as I'm concerned hit right out of the ball park. If ABC and CBS let these shows run,I think that the networks will be happy with where they take them.

http://tv.yahoo.com/photos/fall-tv-shows-in-trouble-1348784737-slideshow/mob-doctor-photo-1348784671.html
  • Options

I understand all but 7 and 8. 7 was good, it has a movie feel to it and 8 as far as I'm concerned hit right out of the ball park. If ABC and CBS let these shows run,I think that the networks will be happy with where they take them.

http://tv.yahoo.com/photos/fall-tv-shows-in-trouble-1348784737-slideshow/mob-doctor-photo-1348784671.html

Unfortunately, it's all about the A18-49 demo and even though these are 2 great shows (at least Last Resort is, I didn't see Vegas), they didn't score very high.

Look at Vegas. Even though it had nearly 15M viewers, it only scored a 2.5 in the demo. That's not good for a CBS series premiere. It performed poorly in comparison to the other CBS shows that air that night. NCIS had a 4.1 and NCIS: LA had a 3.4.

Last Resort only pulled in 9M viewers and a 2.2. And it was followed by Grey's Anatomy, which had nearly 12M viewers and a 4.4.

I guess we'll see how it turns out. But, like the article says, Vegas' numbers are lower than Unforgettable, which was initially canceled and Last Resort has almost identical numbers to Charlie's Angels, which was in the same timeslot and canceled after only a few episodes.

Good luck to them. I really want Last Resort to succeed. Let's see how it does next week. The pilot was made available online over 2 weeks before the premiere, so that could have something to do with the lower numbers. Who knows.

On another note, CBS should be pleased with Elementary. The network has 4 fall shows premiering this week and 2 (Partners and Vegas) debuted much lower than they hoped. Partners outright tanked. But Elementary debuted last night with 13M viewers and a 3.1.
  • Options

I watched Last Resort today and really enjoyed it. But Andre Bauher's last drama only got one season and it was really good.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

I watched Last Resort today and really enjoyed it. But Andre Bauher's last drama only got one season and it was really good.
    His last 3 starring roles didn't last that long. Men of a Certain Age was canceled last year after 2 seasons. Thief was canceled in 2006 after 1 season. Gideon's Crossing was canceled in 2001 after 1 season. And the most interesting thing is that even though his shows always get canceled due to low ratings, he got nominated for an Emmy shortly after each show was canceled. All three times.

Before Last Resort, the man has starred in Homicide, Gideon's Crossing, Hack, Thief and Men of a Certain Age. He has been nominated for 6 Emmys across 4 of those shows and has won 2. It must be frustrating for him that with all his talent and acclaim and even though he's tried 5 times, he hasn't been able to land a hit/long-lasting series since Homicide went off the air 13 years ago. I would think it's even more frustrating when you land a show that is good, like Thief and Men of a Certain Age, but people won't watch it.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

dubbat138 said:

His last 3 starring roles didn't last that long. Men of a Certain Age was canceled last year after 2 seasons. Thief was canceled in 2006 after 1 season. Gideon's Crossing was canceled in 2001 after 1 season. And the most interesting thing is that even though his shows always get canceled due to low ratings, he got nominated for an Emmy shortly after each show was canceled. All three times.

Before Last Resort, the man has starred in Homicide, Gideon's Crossing, Hack, Thief and Men of a Certain Age. He has been nominated for 6 Emmys across 4 of those shows and has won 2. It must be frustrating for him that with all his talent and acclaim and even though he's tried 5 times, he hasn't been able to land a hit/long-lasting series since Homicide went off the air 13 years ago. I would think it's even more frustrating when you land a show that is good, like Thief and Men of a Certain Age, but people won't watch it.
    Thief was the show I was thinking of. Great show that deserved at least one more season. Never saw Men of a Certain Age,mainly cause I don't care for Ray Romano.

• Options
    I understand the viewer #s but not the 2.1 and 4.2 could you explain those to me? Are those the Nessien #s that everyone looks at?

Vegas with 15m and a 2.1 but Elementary with 13m and a 3.1, that's less viewers but a higher (rating?) Makes no sense to me and Elementary was not all that good. To be fair I'm a big Holmes fan and am critical of IPs that are based off of Holmes.

As stated on my FB I think Last Resort should use Greys as a lead in show.
    Partners was awful.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited September 2012

I understand the viewer #s but not the 2.1 and 4.2 could you explain those to me? Are those the Nessien #s that everyone looks at?

Vegas with 15m and a 2.1 but Elementary with 13m and a 3.1, that's less viewers but a higher (rating?) Makes no sense to me and Elementary was not all that good. To be fair I'm a big Holmes fan and am critical of IPs that are based off of Holmes.

As stated on my FB I think Last Resort should use Greys as a lead in show.
    Partners was awful.

Yes, those are the Nielsen numbers everyone looks at. Every TV show has a target demo (demographic). The content of that show and it's commercials will be targeted to a specific group. Kids, Teens, Women, Males and Adults. That number tells you the percentage of people in that demo who are watching your show.

The Adult 18-49 demo is the most important demo, as it encompasses the majority of TV viewers and features the most people who have disposable income. And because it's the most important demo, most shows and commercials on network TV and cable are targeted at that group. Those are the people who will be buying the products. So, a show needs to have a sizable A18-49 audience if it wants to stay on the air.

It's kind of a complicated thing that's based on outdated thinking, but that's basically how it works. If a show like Vegas has that many viewers, but a low demo rating, that means the majority of it's viewers are people over 50. Unfortunately, that's out of the target. Very few products are advertised to people over 50, so it doesn't really help a show to have the majority of it's viewers be that old.
  • Options
    Miley Cyrus is set to star in a Bonnie Clyde TV Movie for Lifetime...This is wrong for so many reasons.

tv.yahoo.com/news/miley-cyrus-talks-star-lifetime-history-telepic-bonnie-211952009.html
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

The Adult 18-49 demo is the most important demo, as it encompasses the majority of TV viewers and features the most people who have disposable income. And because it's the most important demo, most shows and commercials on network TV and cable are targeted at that group. Those are the people who will be buying the products. So, a show needs to have a sizable A18-49 audience if it wants to stay on the air.

It's kind of a complicated thing that's based on outdated thinking, but that's basically how it works. If a show like Vegas has that many viewers, but a low demo rating, that means the majority of it's viewers are people over 50. Unfortunately, that's out of the target. Very few products are advertised to people over 50, so it doesn't really help a show to have the majority of it's viewers be that old.

Though Vegas is on CBS which has had the reputation over the last 20 or so years of catering to the over 50 crowd
  • Options

tazmaniak said:

Though Vegas is on CBS which has had the reputation over the last 20 or so years of catering to the over 50 crowd
    Yes, it does have the reputation of being "the old people's network", but it's shows tend to rate high in the 18-49 demo. NCIS (4.1), NCIS:LA (3.4), Criminal Minds (3.1), Survivor (3.1), HIMYM (3.4), 2 Broke Girls (3.7), Mike & Molly (3.0), TBBT (5.0), Two and a Half Men (3.5), Person Of Interest (2.9) and Elementary (3.1).

The other shows on the network set the standard. Out of the 11 shows listed above, 10 rate a 3.0 or above. So that's about the standard. Because Vegas falls below the standard of what a CBS show should be able to pull in, it's not doing very well. Those are good numbers, in general, but they're not good CBS numbers.
  • Options
    Trailer for Primeval: New World, a Canadian spinoff of the UK series, Primeval. It will debut October 29th, airing on Space in Canada and Watch in the UK. No word on when it will air in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zFqdbcjgeM
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited October 2012
    Ankh-Morpork City Watch TV series in development!

Holy cow.*

*Say, where is my cow?**

**The preceding footnote was an homage to Sir Terry, as is this one.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Photobucket

Red Dwarf X: have they still got the smegging goods?
    The Red Dwarf crew – Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and the cat – are back, on Dave, following a 13-year break. But is there any sign that the characters' fabled chemistry is still there?