Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: General News and Discussion.

Comments

• Options
    I want to know why The Hobbit stuff is in the TV tread,lol. Also,I predict this will be just as boring as Lord of the Rings movies.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Why is this a 3 movie film? I miss the old Peter Jackson that did great horror/comedies.

Answer: $•$•$
    Yeah that is what I figured. IIRC The Hobbit novel is under 300 pages. I wonder if Jackson will ever make another horror film?
    I'd be happy if he stretched it to 7 films.
  • Options

I want to know why The Hobbit stuff is in the TV tread,lol. Also,I predict this will be just as boring as Lord of the Rings movies.

Agreed. I was so bored after the first film, I have never seen the remaining two.

• Options
    @Whistling_Pete I tried to make it through part 2 but 15mins in I said "enough of the damn walking" and went and watched some action movie.
  • Options

Agreed. I was so bored after the first film, I have never seen the remaining two.

Really!? Wow! I was totally enthralled with it. Have watched them all many times since. But then, I was always enthralled with the original novel as well. Maybe that makes the difference.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    i think i read he was incorporating story elements from soem of the ancillary books. Silmarillion and the like.
  • Options

Really!? Wow! I was totally enthralled with it. Have watched them all many times since. But then, I was always enthralled with the original novel as well. Maybe that makes the difference.

Could be. I confess I have never read any of the books (nor plan to), but am probably in the minority camp.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I never read the books, and bought the first movie on a whim from the nearly dead The Wiz.

I loved it, and saw the second. Loved that one ("This is the last march... of the Ents"), but never got around to seeing the third.

Purchased the last two movies at Walmart during Black Friday, and plan to have a LOTR day.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    ^Did you get the theatrical version or extended version?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    tazmaniak said:

^Did you get the theatrical version or extended version?

Pretty sure it's the theatrical.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Here's the latest Red Dwarf X snippet.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Our long national nightmare is over...Jersey Shore has been cancelled.

tv.yahoo.com/news/-jersey-shore--canceled.html
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Our long national nightmare is over...Jersey Shore has been cancelled.

tv.yahoo.com/news/-jersey-shore--canceled.html

And there is already two spinoffs. Sadly as long as people watch ignorant crap like Jersey Shore the airwaves will be polluted by reality tv. The over abundance of reality tv is one of the major reasons I have almost stopped watching TV.
  • Options
    FX fall schedule.

Sept. 11
    10 PM ET/PT

Sons Of Anarchy

Sept. 14
    9 PM ET/PT

The Ultimate Fighter Fridays

Oct. 11
    10 PM ET/PT

It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    10:30 PM ET/PT
    The League
    11 PM ET/PT
    BrandX With Russell Brand

Oct. 17, 10 PM ET/PT
    American Horror Story: Asylum

Deadline
  • Options
    CBS has given a pilot production commitment to a TV series based on Beverly Hills Cop. The project is being developed by Eddie Murphy and Shawn Ryan (creator of The Shield), and will focus on Axel Foley's son, who is a police officer. The series follows Aaron Foley as he "helps take down the criminal elements of the rich and famous in Beverly Hills while trying to escape the shadow of his larger-than-life father".

Murphy will appear in the pilot and may recur if it goes to series. Ryan will serve as writer and executive producer. If the show is picked up, he will pull double duty as showrunner of Beverly Hills Cop and ABC's Last Resort.

Deadline
  • Options
    So, would that be a comedy? Or a gritty crime drama? Or...look I like a well placed banana in a tailpipe as much as the next guy (?! That didn't sound right!?) but this concept sounds doomed from the outset.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    random73 said:

So, would that be a comedy? Or a gritty crime drama? Or...look I like a well placed banana in a tailpipe as much as the next guy (?! That didn't sound right!?) but this concept sounds doomed from the outset.

It could be both, I'd say the original Beverly Hills Cop was pretty gritty at times.
  • Options
    yeah, maybe...but is was such a vehicle for Eddie Murphy's personality that it seems hard to imagine someone else filling that role.
  • Options
    I could absolutely see this working, as long as A.) They aim for a more gritty show with comedic elements rather than a straight comedy, and B.) They don't ape the original cast/characters.

Eddie Murphy will be the Detroit Chief of Police, because that will allow him to appear sparingly (because he believes there are still terrible movies out there he needs to star in).

Judge Reinhold will probably be the Chief out there in Beverly Hills, right? I mean, what else is he doing? If he is, hopefully, they've matured the character.

Like I said... there is potential in this property (heck, if they can turn The Munsters into an hour long drama, this should be a cakewalk), but there are terrible, terrible opportunities to turn this into something I instantly hate.

Like if Bronson Pinchot's character from the original shows up as a regular character... sage voice of wisdom and guidance for young Aaron Foley.

By all that is holy and just... they are gonna do that, aren't they?
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited September 2012
    If this show were being created by anyone other than Shawn Ryan, I don't think I'd initially be interested at all. From the shows he's created like The Shield and The Chicago Code, to the shows he's served as producer or showrunner on like the second season of Angel and Terriers, I've liked all of his projects. At least all the ones I've seen. I never watched The Unit or Lie to Me. I'll even throw in those earlier seasons of Nash Bridges. I'm also looking forward to Last Resort.

The Shield was an example of how a cop show should be approached. That was the standard. A gritty crime-drama that had the characters investigating a different case every episode (sometimes multiple cases per episode), but with an overarching storyline that lasted multiple episodes and multiple seasons. The lives of the main characters played heavily into the storyline. The characters weren't interchangeable or replaceable like in some cop shows.

Ryan tried to recreate this format on network TV with Fox's The Chicago Code. It was a show about a newly appointed female Police Superintendent who was trying to take down a corrupt Alderman, with the help of her former partner. Much like The Shield, they investigated a different case for each episode, all the while trying to get the goods on the Alderman. A lot of times those cases where connected to the Alderman, which gave the series a serialized twist.

Unfortunately, network TV has always been the home of procedural cop shows, and the mainstream audience just wasn't feeling the show. It's a shame because I think it was one of the strongest shows that season. I kinda hope it doesn't happen to this one.

As for the possible tone of the show, I would direct you to FX's Terriers. It was a show about an alcoholic former cop and a former thief, who are private detectives. This show was an example of how to do a serious crime-drama, but mixed with a lot of humor. Much like the Shield, they took a different case every episode, but there was also a storyline unfolding in the background. And the show was character driven. Too bad the series was canceled after one season, due to low ratings. I think FX may have dropped the ball with the marketing. Even though the show got nothing but praise during it's run, it's ratings dipped into the thousands. I think at one point it had 490,000 viewers.

Both Terriers and The Chicago Code debuted in the same season and were canceled less than 6 months of each other. And both were 2 of the best shows of the year.

Anyway, I think Ryan can make a really entertaining adaptation of this film. He knows his way around a character-driven crime-drama that's fused with humor and has a dual procedural and serialized format. This could work.
  • Options
    http://comicsalliance.com/2012/09/06/wonder-woman-amazon-tv-pilot-script-allan-heinberg-the-cw/

huh. i do not get the obsession with getting WW back on TV. here is another crack at it.
  • Options
    Taz - I feel the same way. Until I saw Ryan's name attached, I was ready to ignore it, but he's one of the showrunners I always check out his work. Terriers was a GREAT show that should have gone on much longer. Sadly, I think a TV sequel to a almost 30 year old movie is not going to excite many viewers.
  • Options
    Looks like G4 is about to be rebranded out of existence.

I'll be honest about it: G4 has been dead to me for a while. I was completely hooked on the channel when it was TechTV, and loved the fact that I could learn cool things to do with my computer, how to do fixes, etc... Then, when they merged with G4, they got rid of a lot of the shows I liked, but I was big on X-Play and whatever Martin Sergent was doing.

They also had other gaming related shows and anime that Cartoon Network didn't run...and over the years, I lost interest. They started running more reality TV show reruns, X-Play got unwatchable and I would tune in once a year to watch Sad Diego ComicCon coverage. Now, they are going to go through a rebranding early next year (and speculation is that is why Adam Sessler left) and it's all over.

It's a shame, because I think there is a place for gaming/nerd/geek programming.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    @SolitaireRose

"Sad Diego"

Typo, or editorial comment?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

@SolitaireRose

"Sad Diego"

Typo, or editorial comment?

6 of one, a half dozen of the other....?

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    ongoing or neverending?
  • Options

I'll be honest about it: G4 has been dead to me for a while. I was completely hooked on the channel when it was TechTV, and loved the fact that I could learn cool things to do with my computer, how to do fixes, etc... Then, when they merged with G4, they got rid of a lot of the shows I liked, but I was big on X-Play and whatever Martin Sergent was doing.

They also had other gaming related shows and anime that Cartoon Network didn't run...and over the years, I lost interest. They started running more reality TV show reruns, X-Play got unwatchable and I would tune in once a year to watch Sad Diego ComicCon coverage. Now, they are going to go through a rebranding early next year (and speculation is that is why Adam Sessler left) and it's all over.

It's a shame, because I think there is a place for gaming/nerd/geek programming.

Well that happens when you only have 5.5 hours a week of shows that aren't COPS or CHEATERS reruns when both XPlay and AOTS are new. G4 Never knew what dorks/geeks/nerds wanted. I just glad I won't be seeing Shara Underwood anymore. She was a fucking poor choice to try and keep viewers.
  • Options

You sound like me. This would have hurt if I hadn't stopped watching a while back.

Ah well. Sure Morgan Webb and Blair Butler will find work somewhere.
  • Options
    I've never been able to watch G4 with any sort of consistency.

It is a network that doesn't know its identity, despite the fact that it should be going like gangbusters in the current "geek chic" environment.

Instead, it filled hour upon hour, as previously mentioned, with Cops and Cheaters and that Cops, Jr. show called Campus PD.

I understand that actually coming up with a programming schedule gets in the way of... doing whatever else they wanted to do instead of their jobs, but programming a nation-wide station with the sort of crap you only find on tiny local stations that can't afford anything else is dumb.

(I'm not kidding - the only other place on my TV dial that I can find an episode of Cheaters anymore is a local station that also fills its programming with Andy Griffith reruns, Hogan's Heroes, and M*A*S*H... any of which I'd welcome more on G4 than Cheaters.)

How hard would it be to purchase some broadcasting rights for old TV show reruns that actually bend toward geek? Sure, they show some Quantum Leap (because NBC Universal owns it), but why not stack the afternoon schedule with old sci-fi or superhero shows? There have to be a few out there that are dirt cheap.

Right now, as of 8 p.m. each night, the network simply puts up a white flag of surrender with Cops and Cops, Jr. I know the argument - advertisers will pay to have spots during those. Well, you know what? If they managed to come up with any somewhat decent original programming, advertisers might actually pay even more!

You know all those new-ish channels that popped up on YouTube? G4 probably could have had some of the people involved in those creating good, original programming for their channel. (Even now, it might not be a bad idea to try to poach some from there.)

And AOTS? Nearly unwatchable, and a microcosm of the network itself, completely undefined in what it is. Everytime I've seen the show, despite the copious amounts of filler on the show (20 minutes of YouTube videos), it seems like they are struggling to fill the hour.