Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Once Upon A Time

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I don't watch reality shows so I wouldn't know but I do agree that she was pretty bad.
  • Options
    I stopped back in the 90s with The Real World/Road Rules and even back then there was some acting, all of which was better than Young Snow.
  • Options
    Ah. I forgot about the Real World. Yeah. I can say I'm guilty of watching the first 10 seasons of that. Wow. That's kind of sad to think about.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Ah. I forgot about the Real World. Yeah. I can say I'm guilty of watching the first 10 seasons of that. Wow. That's kind of sad to think about.
    Today's Real World isn't even the "Real World". It's a Fantasy Camp.

These kids get to drink all the time, have sex all of the time, and only occasionally have to do some modicum of work.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @DoctorDoom : Having agreed to that makes me feel even older than I actually am... :(
  • Options
    Doesn't really sound entertaining. Do people watch those shows still?
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    edited April 2012
    The only season I ever remember was the Puck and the other guy that passed away from AIDS Pedro I believe. That and Susie from her season of Road Rules because she went to my college and hung out with us, and she had a thing for me but I had a girlfriend :(

I actually dropped my cable/dish entirely because of the proliferation of this garbage. The last straw was when The Science Channel began airing scripted "reality" junk. (Stuck With Hacket and the Junkyard show) Those were such easy shows to get right and just be actually real, and the current state of TV dictates that that is not possible even with such basic crap.

The last episode of OUAT was pretty good, better than some have been. It really is hit or miss for me and I tend to drift during every episode at some point no matter what. The acting is so bad at times it makes me chuckle and the horrendous CGI/matte paintings make me laugh too. Overall I still kind of enjoy it though, my wife digs it more than I do.

EDIT: Just so we're clear... this is what I missed:

• Options
    So I have watched the last two episodes and they were amazing. I can't believe who the motorcycle stranger turned out to be. I can't wait to see how this first season ends. Loving this show a whole bunch and I am loving their takes on these characters.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    really enjoyed the first season, hoping it got picked up for season 2
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    It was renewed for a second season.
  • Options
    Glad it was renewed. I'm catching up on episodes and I still love it!
  • Options
    The ending of the first season was amazing and I cannot wait to see how it picks up in season 2.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited May 2012
    A fairy tale with a happy ending.....? :D

Loving the show.
  • Options
    If it was happy ending why isn't Henry dead?
  • Options
    If it was happy ending why isn't Henry dead?
    That's cold.

• Options
    Not as cold as his dead body would be. I hate that role and the actor playing is bad. Guess we all can't have a storybrook ending.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I guess the best compliment I can give this show is that it managed to captivate me for an entire season. To be clear, Once Upon a Time has its fair share of faults. As mentioned already, the acting can be downright atrocious and the CGI overly cheesy, but overall the premise, the character's back-stories, and the way the writers have put fresh spins on classic characters has won me over. If the acting was turned up a notch, and the CGI better, this show would have the potential to become a cult-classic, yet despite its shortcomings, the show's novel storytelling keeps me coming back for more.
  • Options
    @Fade2Black, Thanks for saying it, I was going to but I didn't want to seem to always be the negative one. My wife really enjoys the show, I kind of tolerate it despite the bad acting and the rest of the shortcomings. I think the actual premise is cool but it is a mix of a victim of its own success and a major flaw in how it was written to begin with that trapped it in a corner. Despite itself it can be enjoyable which is saying a LOT. Basically by changing everything ( :) )it could be great. heh. It sure takes the cake for worst acting in recent memory though. I loved the fall of like 200-300 feet out of the castle as if it were a low diving board and the dragon set. oof. Yet we'll still finish it out, I'm hoping it ends next season though or the storyline ends and they begin a new one.
  • Options
    Not as cold as his dead body would be. I hate that role and the actor playing is bad. Guess we all can't have a storybrook ending.
    True.

And I'm just joshing you. I hate that little punk as well, and I'm not even done with the series yet.

(Then again, the hate started in the first episode...)
  • Options
    I like the cheesy CGI I chalk it up to fairy tale physics and that just how that stuff looks. There really is some bad acting going on though, and Henry could get killed off and I don't think I would mind.

Would like to see the Mad hatter a little more crazy and a little less emo though.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, would you guys mind pointing out the actors you feel are giving bad performances? Besides the actor playing Henry, that is.
  • Options
    Not being sarcastic/snarky, but it would be easier to list who aren't. Mr. Gold is usually pretty solid, Prince Charming isn't terrible, I really like Jiminy (sp?) Cricket's actor actually, Gus Fring (for any Breaking Bad fans :) ) was OK... and not much else. The actors are all mostly B-level or below so I don't think anyone is expecting perfection but they aren't helped at all by the writing and lack of development or ties/connections that seem believable. The writing wouldn't help some of the stiff/awkward acting but I have a feeling it would make a noticeable difference if stepped up a notch or two. This story is/was clearly a mini-series (a good mini-series) that after gaining more success than they probably expected is now scrambling to get out of the corner it was painted into from the beginning (problem #1) and to get some better talent on it now that it has taken off (problem #2). You can clearly see them trying to cover these issues in this season. It is all very stilted, stiff, and lacking proper emotion I'm not sure an A list cast would actually fare much better.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Okay. I don't feel that way, but I get where you're coming from. Besides the actors who play Henry (hadn't heard of him until this show) and Charming (hadn't heard of him until Thor), I've known all the lead actors, and some of the supporting actors, for a decade or longer, so either I'm used to their acting or I just don't feel it's bad. Except for Henry. I don't know. I don't have any overall problems with the show. At least nothing that actually lessens my enjoyment.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    I don't feel like there's any corners they have put themselves into that you keep saying. They're showing an entire world and how all the characters are connected in some way or another. Looks like they're doing a pretty good job of it so far. And I don't think anyone goes into these shows anymore looking for a mini series. I can't remember the last one that anyone did? Do you have some examples about how you see them doing that?

For bad acting though I'd point to Jennifer Morrison in the episode where (and to remain as spoiler free as possible) the one guy is trying to convince her to believe by showing her his leg. That scene was pretty bad, I couldn't believe in their story myself from that. Ginner Goodwin also has the same problem it seems (even though she was great from the few episodes of Big Love I saw) the more dramatic the scene gets the more overacting they tend to go for.

And then Henry just is ugh
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Out of curiosity, would you guys mind pointing out the actors you feel are giving bad performances? Besides the actor playing Henry, that is.
    The atrocious acting tends to be more prevalent in the fairytale world, as opposed to the modern world. Lana Parrilla's portrayal of Regina is alright, but her evil queen persona in the fairytale world comes across as forced and over-the-top. I can't stand the way the fairies are depicted, and there are plenty more examples I could cite. I just wish the acting wasn't so glaringly bad at times.
  • Options
    @Krescan, Well I spoke to friends close to the show and the script was written to basically be a mini-series, actually it was kind of open-ended but with no real way to stretch it out which is what I was referring to when I said they painted themselves in a corner and what amounts to essentially a mini-series... which they tried to circumvent with The Mad Hatter and by just ignoring a few pieces from the early episodes. The problem was that it was to be two worlds and they couldn't branch out beyond that which meant they could only string it along so far without changing some elements or else it would have felt just drawn out to get to the final "battle." It happens all the time with TV shows, big ones even, take Lost as an example, it is pretty common actually because so little is wanted to be spent on original programming and shows and the hope is that if something takes off they then put the money into it or just bleed it for all it is worth. They also had next to zero talent on the show behind the scenes initially and have begun working like mad to snap some up and inject them on things as quickly as possible in a bunch of areas from writing to matte painting.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    My absolute least favorite is the Mayor/Evil Queen. Dear god can she chew scenery in pretty much every scene that she's in.

Snow and Henry would be the other two with the generally least convincing performances, though it's a bit more intermittent.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    The wife and I love the show! Never miss it
    Hated Grimm (a watched two eps and bailed)
    But I'm buying this when it comes out on dvd
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    The wife and I love the show! Never miss it
    Hated Grimm (a watched two eps and bailed)
    But I'm buying this when it comes out on dvd
    Grimm took a while, big issue early on was that it was pure freak of the week stuff. Back half of the season has actually started to build a larger mythology and supplemented the one and done storylines with some overarching plot. Also, I think that the cast is generally more competent than the cast of Once Upon A Time (though we watch both).
  • Options
    Henry is the only one I don't care for. I didn't care for the acting in the first episode, but never noticed it again beyond it. The character is just bleh.