Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Comments

• Options
    Just a minor quibble (very minor), Misfits is a Channel 4 show. I assume it's being broadcast on BBC America over there, probably due to them buying the international rights or something. Anyway, absolutely buy/watch it but be warned it's 18/R rated so don't watch it with young'uns. Sex, nudity, violence, language, basically all the good stuff. :))
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Alan! Thanks for that! It hasn't showed up yet, but I appreciate the feedback as always.

Bill - thanks! 6+ hours for that baby. Yikes! It was incredibly fun though throwing it together.

Marathon - appreciate the note! Now I want to watch it even more! Haha.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Misfits is a Hulu exclusive (or was when we watched, anyway). So all the sex, nudity, violence, language, and other good stuff gets left in. Everyone wins!

Don't be surprised if you have to watch the first episode or two with subtitles on, though. We watch a lot of Brit TV in our house and have good ears for dialects, but a couple of the characters on the show are REALLY hard to understand (Kelly in particular) until you get used to them.
  • Options
    Sounds like Attack of the Block.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Peter said:

Sounds like Attack of the Block.

I think you mean "Attack the Block". I didn't have trouble understanding the people in it. Outside of some more modern Cockney slang.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Misfits is a Hulu exclusive (or was when we watched, anyway). So all the sex, nudity, violence, language, and other good stuff gets left in. Everyone wins!

Don't be surprised if you have to watch the first episode or two with subtitles on, though. We watch a lot of Brit TV in our house and have good ears for dialects, but a couple of the characters on the show are REALLY hard to understand (Kelly in particular) until you get used to them.

Has one of your kids yet been grounded for dropping a C-bomb?
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I watched Misfits for free on hulu.com so there's that.
    Sherlock is amazing. It's a modernized Shelock so he uses cell phones and modern gadgets but the writing is very sharp and witty and I love seeing Sherlock visually solve crimes. It's an amazingly awesome thing to see.
  • Options
    So much to read/see/do/etc. Good thing I went and got a girlfriend. That doesn't take up time at all. :P
  • Options
    David_D said:

Has one of your kids yet been grounded for dropping a C-bomb?
    No, but we have to make sure it doesn't work its way into conversation when we're around our son.
  • Options
    Speeches, new comics, Jack Kirby song bloopers, feedback and the ep that got a bunch of responses: Top 5 non-comic book books of my childhood.
    http://thedailyrios.com/the-daily-rios-09-18-12-top-5-tuesday/

Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    This past week's episodes feature the first assault on online comics criticism, a quick tribute to Christopher Reeve, New Comics Wednesday picks, Comics Timeline for September and a belated look at Previews! Huzzah!

http://www.thedailyrios.com
  • Options
    If you have a couple of hours, you can absorb all the eps from this past week including: Julian's first day report at MorrisonCon, Revolution talk, New Comics for the week, an interview with Big Bird and more comics criticism chat!
  • Options
    New York for me is family (father grew up in da Bronx then Mt. Vernon and eventually upstate). When we would go back out East to visit relatives, Broadway was always the highlight of the trip. For me, the show I connect New York with is Phantom of The Opera at the Majestic.

We got oversold on tickets, so we were moved from our seats in the balcony to down where the box seats were but still in the balcony section, basicially blocking the emergency doors, I think. I heard that was a rare thing to do, but I wonder if the Theatre took pity on us and let us stay. And then we ran from the Majestic back to Grand Central to make the train as it left to go back to our relatives' house. It was very New York movie-ish.

Loved your Friday ep. Thanks, Peter.
  • Options
    Awesome! Glad you enjoyed. I had another ep planned, and then for some reason that topic kinda sprung to mind so I just ran with it.
  • Options
    I enjoyed it, too, even though I've been to NYC only 3 times (two of those spent largely in the Javitts Center for NY Comic Con), and therefore have no real connection to New York City as a place or an idea. But clearly you do, and your point of view and passion about it (or at least about the works it has inspired) made for a compelling listen (what can I say, I'm a philophile... I really enjoy hearing people talk about things they're super interested in).

And now I want to go watch Fantasia 2000 again for the Rhapsody in Blue sequence. So there's that. :)
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    So, Monday's episode...interesting. I remember a comment you made a few weeks ago about something, (I'm being intentionally vague here) not to your liking. There's a jigsaw here, if only I could put it together. Of course I could have totally got all of this wrong. :)

Is there any development on your possible trip to London Super Con?
  • Options
    Bill - My girl and I are going to do a great Disney Animated rewatch - so I can eventually say I've seen any version of Fantasia all the way through. Not for lack of trying though!

Marathon! Right now LSCC is looking like 50/50%. I already have a passport from my first venture to Fan Expo. It's just a matter of not landing work that would conflict. Which stinks because I have to hold off on getting a plane ticket for a few months just in case.
  • Options
    I should do a Disney rewatch one of these days. Of course, for most of the "Classics," it'd be my first time seeing them! That's one of the disadvantages of having much older brothers and sisters... as the movies were re-released when I was a kid, my mom would never take me to see them because she didn't want to sit through them for a 2nd or 3rd time. My mom doesn't tolerate cartoons so well... not enough gardening for her, I think. I think this just ended up making me like cartoons all the more somehow. And I did get my revenge when she had to take me and a couple friends to see He-Man and She-Ra: Secret of the Sword. :D

But yeah, I think I'm pretty good through most 70s and 80s animated Disney, but I've never seen most of the really big ones from their initial boom period. I've probably seen more live-action pre-1980 Disney than animated (Dexter Riley rules).
  • Options
    Yes! We used to watch those in grade school for assemblies now and then. Swiss Family Robinson. The Herbie movies. Million Dollar Duck. Cat From Outer Space. Apple Dumpling Gang. Candleshoe. So many more!
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    I LOVE the Kurt Russell/Dexter Riley movies, Joe Flynn as Dean Higgins, Cesar Romero as AJ Arno. classic stuff, I need to get those on DVD
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    JamieD said:

I LOVE the Kurt Russell/Dexter Riley movies, Joe Flynn as Dean Higgins, Cesar Romero as AJ Arno. classic stuff, I need to get those on DVD

There should be a Medfield College boxed set.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    WetRats said:

JamieD said:

From your lips to a market persons ears
  • Options
    I remember there was a blonde girl in The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes that I had such a crush on when I was little... almost as big as the crush I had on Joy from The Bugaloos. :x
  • Options
    WetRats said:

JamieD said:

Why isn't Disney licensing those IPs to anyone? I bet the right creators would kick ass on a Dexter Riley, Merlin Jones, or Witch Mountain book!

And now in my head they're all mashing up, and what I'm seeing is AWESOME, you guys.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

WetRats said:

JamieD said:

Why isn't Disney licensing those IPs to anyone? I bet the right creators would kick ass on a Dexter Riley, Merlin Jones, or Witch Mountain book!

And now in my head they're all mashing up, and what I'm seeing is AWESOME, you guys.

I thought I saw a series of YA fiction books right after the semi recent Witch Mountain film came out. The film that had the Rock in it. But my memory isn't the best so I might be thinking about some other books I saw.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

WetRats said:

JamieD said:

Dexter Riley should join the Avengers.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Dexter Riley should join the Avengers.

Dexter Riley could be the new Rick Jones!
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    There was nothing with Joe Flynn as Dean Higgins on You Tube but here he is on the match game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss1iQuOpHdQ
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Gene Rayburn's skinny mic rules!