Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Comments

• Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    JJ Abrams and Star Wars, sci-fi vs science fantasy, top 5 movie couples, some theatre discussion, and the final Best Of categories: all in last week's eps! And it'll only take you an hour and a half to listen! http://thedailyrios.com/
  • Options
    PrilloPrillo Posts: 23
    Does this mean more Crisis footnotes will come with the dynamic duo back at the helm together?
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited February 2013
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
  • Options
    This past week on TDR: How To Podcast, Top 5 TV Couples, Ten Tweet Tuesday and more! http://thedailyrios.com/
  • Options
    Hearing you talk about the beginnings of podcasting was very informative!

I came at it in a VERY different way. I did radio in college, and then let it drop away...but in the late 90's a couple of websites I followed started doing Audio Shows when ad money collapsed, and then sold memberships where you could get the audios if you joined. PWInsider (a wrestling site) would have news updates, a couple of shows where people on the site would talk about the week, interviews and answer members questions. They tried to keep the shows under 74 minutes (to fit onto a CD). There were also "official" shows from WCW and ECW during the boom period, but they were streaming only.

Also, Bartcop (a political website) had a radio type program filled with comedy clips, political commentary, discussions about premium tequila and the like. He also would stop at around 74 minutes so people could burn it onto CDs. Then, there were radio shows themselves on the net like the NPR stuff, Randi Rhodes, some local shows...

So when you talked about it being audio blogs and short shows, that was a revelation to me. Then again, I found CGS around episode 50 (when you hit iTunes) and it was already in the hour or more stage....

So when Joe and I started ours, we came from radio, so we had theme music and an idea of what we wanted to do...but Joe didn't do any show prep, so our segments actually grew out of THAT. The entire idea was leveraging his time owning a shop, my time working in comics shops and my fascination with sales figures and comics history with a big dose of "the way we'd sit around the comic shop and chat" mixed in.

I wonder how other people came to the world of podcasting! It's a topic I'd love to hear different viewpoints on!
  • Options
    Cory - I remember those days before iTunes where hosts tried to do shows of limited length for CD playback. Funny. And then once podcasts were added, CGS Ep.35 was the "welcome" to new iTunes listeners, suddenly length wasn't an issue anymore!
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    The last couple of episodes have been very entertaining. Well done.
  • Options
    Thanks Jaydee!
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    JamieD said:

Peter said:

Cory - I remember those days before iTunes where hosts tried to do shows of limited length for CD playback. Funny. And then once podcasts were added, CGS Ep.35 was the "welcome" to new iTunes listeners, suddenly length wasn't an issue anymore!

WOW, you really are hated if someone can dislike this statement. He is speaking the truth.....Smh
    I didn't know Grumpy Cat had an account here...

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

JamieD said:

Peter said:

WOW, you really are hated if someone can dislike this statement. He is speaking the truth.....Smh
    I didn't know Grumpy Cat had an account here...

At some point, the person who "dislikes" everything Peter posts (even his most recent thanking someone) HAS to realize the behavior is actually just sad. It seems to be more time consuming then it's worth, but hey, I guess some people need "swallow wins" however they interpret.

M.
  • Options
    This past week of eps include: top 5 podcasts I wish were still around, Marvel Now reviews on Unc XMen/Secret Avengers/Nova/GofGalaxy and Feedback Friday!

http://thedailyrios.com
  • Options
    GiannaD11GiannaD11 Posts: 50
    I'll have to check this out.
  • Options
    I recently listened to a couple weeks worth of TDR.
    Glad to hear others share my enthusiasm for the Thin Man series. I really need to re-watch that series, it's been far too long since I've done so.

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

I recently listened to a couple weeks worth of TDR.
    Glad to hear others share my enthusiasm for the Thin Man series. I really need to re-watch that series, it's been far too long since I've done so.

I LOVE all things Thin Man, Myrna Loy was so Hubba Hubba and William Powell is too cool for school, Watch em and you will thank us later
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29
    It's a really great series (The Thin Man, that is)! I've been watching the series over the last year and have been really digging it.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    edited March 2013
    I knew I needed to catch up but if there is Thin Man talk going on in TDR then I better do it faster!

• Options
    All good! It was brought up as a response to Top 5 movie couples - and then I said I hadn't seen any of those movies. So nothing too in-depth just yet!
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Excellent! Sandy cause me to be backed up in my podcast listening. Working on catching up to you now, but let me say that the "Thin Man" series of movies are excellent and lots of fun. Well worth watching.
  • Options
    If anyone's interested, I dropped both the first ep of DC Noise and Tower Ep.00 on the feed this week!

http://thedailyrios.com/
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    I was interested.. Even tried following along on Twitter only to find out I was blocked.
  • Options
    I got about 3 episodes to catch up on but listening to these old episodes of DC Noise and the Tower is a lot of fun. Kind of a time warp back to what was happening back in those times. Love them.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Peter, I know you're a big John Cusack fan, so I figured I'd mention my latest Photoshop mash-up amalgamates iconic imagery from Back to the Future with a classic scene from Say Anything. I posted the link in the CGS funny picture thread as well as on my tumblr. site.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I have really loving Fantastic Four a lot. I think for me, I was on board when I had heard the premise of this series which was Fantastic Four having adventures through time and space. So basically, it's Doctor Who adventures starring the Fantastic Four. What's not to love about that? To me, the Fantastic Four is the perfect team to have these kinds of adventures.

Oh. I should say it's been awhile since I read Fantastic Four comics so I know I missed out on a lot but I haven't had this much fun with the First Family in quite some time and really have loved the family interactions and the adventures through space and time.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Anyone who needs proof that 'the pen is mightier then the sword' should listen to Pete's Podcast. Good stuff that bleeds over to social media. Not bad for a 1 man show!

M
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Agreed. A good format too. Short and sweet. Something I tend to stream instead of download.

(not that I want CGS to be short....)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    http://peterjohnrios.tumblr.com/post/49537310120/from-august-2012-you-decide-10-57

@wordballoon : your mocking of Pants and Jamie was distasteful. X(
    You lost all of my respect. Your "show" is dead to me.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Wow. High school never really ends, does it?