Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Comments

• Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Wow! I had to look them up. Bad musical geek! Haha. I'm sure Musical Monday will return eventually. I have a long list to get through on that baby.

In the meantime, here's the new version of Timeline Tuesday:
    http://thedailyrios.com/timeline-tuesday-september/
  • Options
    With regard to the brothers, this documentary (available thru Netflix) is worth checking out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1015971/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
  • Options
    Correction.

With regard to the Sherman brothers, this documentary (available thru Netflix) is worth checking out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1015971/?ref_=sr_1
  • Options
    Awesome. Thanks!
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    Peter, I just listened to your probverb about kings yelling fire, and I have to say that I think its kind of a bullshit response. I know that people don't know the details, but I know that he didn't kill anyone. And I know that this podcast isn't a matter of life and death. So I have to believe that any issues could have been addressed, and worked on, and resolved without having to throw someone out.

I'm not looking for a fist fight. But since I live states away from anyone, I'm not able to talk to any body so all I can do is post my feelings about it on a message board. I have to feel that there are different ways of handling things, different ways to treat people, and sometimes the thing that you're making a big deal about isn't really that important.

And just because someone is the head of a podcast doesn't mean that he's always right or that he did the right thing.

I'm sorry about going on. The matter that happened didn't feel right to me and it means enough to make me want to express some feelings about it.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited September 2013
    Fuck. It's been almost a year & we're still dwelling on this? That's one wild hair across the ass!
    sandman said:

...I know that people don't know the details, but I know that he didn't kill anyone... So I have to believe that any issues could have been addressed, and worked on, and resolved without having to throw someone out.

@sandman, That's right, people don't know the details...or at least the complete details. How do you know "issues" weren't addressed, attempts to assist & correct those "issues", and no alternate resolution was attempted first? Not everything you think you know is objective information. The silence & lack of details from Party B doesn't mean ALL the information provided is complete OR correct.

Just food for thought.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Fuck. It's been almost a year & we're still dwelling on this? That's one wild hair across the ass!

sandman said:

...I know that people don't know the details, but I know that he didn't kill anyone... So I have to believe that any issues could have been addressed, and worked on, and resolved without having to throw someone out.

@sandman, That's right, people don't know the details...or at least the complete details. How do you know "issues" weren't addressed, attempts to assist & correct those "issues", and no alternate resolution was attempted first? Not everything you think you know is objective information. The silence & lack of details from Party B doesn't mean ALL the information provided is complete OR correct.

Just food for thought.

M
    It was mentioned again and that brought up feelings again, enough so that I felt that I should say something. Especially since it seemed like a smug remark to make.

I never said that anything was complete or correct, just that it doesn't feel right.
    In the big picture, your podcast isn't that important. Its a nice podcast. Its fun to talk about comics. Its a form of entertainment. But its just a podcast. I can just look at what happens in the world, things that are actually effecting people's lives, and it makes me wonder what could be so heinous to throw someone off a podcast. Maybe the reasons aren't as big as they were made out to be.
  • Options
    You're 50 kings might be yelling the same thing, but that could be a mob mentality taking over and making all of them wrong. Sometimes people go along with something because they don't have the guts to stand up and tell someone that they're wrong.
  • Options
    sandman said:

Matt said:

sandman said:

Just food for thought.

M
    It was mentioned again and that brought up feelings again, enough so that I felt that I should say something. Especially since it seemed like a smug remark to make.

I never said that anything was complete or correct, just that it doesn't feel right.
    In the big picture, your podcast isn't that important. Its a nice podcast. Its fun to talk about comics. Its a form of entertainment. But its just a podcast. I can just look at what happens in the world, things that are actually effecting people's lives, and it makes me wonder what could be so heinous to throw someone off a podcast. Maybe the reasons aren't as big as they were made out to be.
    Its easy to look at the show as just a form of entertainment. The truth is, there's more intangibles. Professional sports teams aren't just forms of entertainment. TV shows aren't just forms of entertainment. Comic books aren't just forms of entertainment. Etc.

Granted, a free podcast aren't anywhere near the same level as the above mentioned. Each example, including CGS, has a specific intangible that is an elephant in the room. You cannot just ignore it when making any decisions.

It was something addressed to several of us during the show's run at different times.

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    "Its easy to look at the show as just a form of entertainment. The truth is, there's more intangibles. Professional sports teams aren't just forms of entertainment. TV shows aren't just forms of entertainment. Comic books aren't just forms of entertainment. Etc.

Granted, a free podcast aren't anywhere near the same level as the above mentioned. Each example, including CGS, has a specific intangible that is an elephant in the room. You cannot just ignore it when making any decisions.

It was something addressed to several of us during the show's run at different times."

i disagree. I think they are "Just forms of entertainment", kinda by definition. I'm not sure what you mean by "intangibles". making the entertainment product may involve some i don't know...subjective elements? but in the end it is just a product.

I'm not looking to pick a fight and i'm glad the deal is done and over, i just didn't quite understand that last post.
  • Options
    random73 said:

"Its easy to look at the show as just a form of entertainment. The truth is, there's more intangibles. Professional sports teams aren't just forms of entertainment. TV shows aren't just forms of entertainment. Comic books aren't just forms of entertainment. Etc.

It was something addressed to several of us during the show's run at different times."

i disagree. I think they are "Just forms of entertainment", kinda by definition. I'm not sure what you mean by "intangibles". making the entertainment product may involve some i don't know...subjective elements? but in the end it is just a product.

I'm not looking to pick a fight and i'm glad the deal is done and over, i just didn't quite understand that last post.

I'm not looking to fight, just conversing with you.

Here's an example of what I went through early in the show's run; if you listen to year one of the show, I shredded a couple people & used un-PC language. I got reminded some of the people we wanted to interview listened to the show. I was told to get those interviews, I couldn't use the language I was using & couldn't keep shredding people.

That didn't mean I had to love everyone's work, but I had to be more professional and responsible as a host. The "intangibles" of doing CGS.

M
  • Options
    Sure that makes sense. That's just professionalism. Pretty sure Craig Ferguson or jimmy Fallon don't love every actor they have on their shows. But it is still a product. That's why the professionalism matters. Because you want to still market the product. I don't see how that stops it being a form of entertainment. Or maybe your point is the issues that were causing problems affected the products marketability?
  • Options
    In my situation you're spot on. After being told about it, I made the necessasary adjustments to stay on the show & keep within what the other guys were creating.

That was MY situation. You're in the right neighborhood for my initial point about the "intangibles" involved.

M
  • Options
    Too bad. Public stife is bad for the product, too. Damned if you do...
  • Options
    random73 said:

Too bad. Public stife is bad for the product, too. Damned if you do...

Yeah, some people like that strife though. It can make/break them.

M
  • Options
    With the removal of the negative feedback icons, I wonder if my boy, @Weapon_Mel will post more. I'm curious to see if Pete's haters avoid this thread now.

M
  • Options
    I don't even remember who Weapon Mel was. I had to click on his avatar to see. This cat had like 5 posts a year ago...who cares? Are you trying to "call out" some shell identity to, I don't know, pick a fight over dislike/disagree buttons on a comic book forum? I think you have more invested in this than its worth.

As for peter haters (there is a joke there but I'm letting it go)...sometimes Peter comes off as a douche. *shrugs* maybe he's a nice guy but he doesn't always sound like it. And sometimes there's no point in engaging an asshole in conversation. So you just move on. If he has haters. I suspect he's earned them.

I've never met the guy. Who knows?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    random73 said:

I don't even remember who Weapon Mel was. I had to click on his avatar to see. This cat had like 5 posts a year ago...who cares? Are you trying to "call out" some shell identity to, I don't know, pick a fight over dislike/disagree buttons on a comic book forum? I think you have more invested in this than its worth.

Actually, he posted more recently that that. Probably a little "call out" just like he was to us. Is it a simple joy in life? Yes. Could it entice him to respond for a few verbal posts back & forth? Doubtful. Its a shell account I like to razzle at this point. My investment is mostly to stand up for my bros, and minorly to get some enjoyment out of calling out trolls on the forum. Forum bully??

M
  • Options
    seems petty... but if you like it I love it. I MAY have engaged in some pettiness at some point in my life. Still, it is one thing to put down a bully. It is something else to become one.
  • Options
    random73 said:

seems petty... but if you like it I love it. I MAY have engaged in some pettiness at some point in my life. Still, it is one thing to put down a bully. It is something else to become one.

Fear not, I lack the primary characteristic of a bully; low self esteem.

Its easy to say I'm petty. I prefer to look at it as drawing the line in the sand & showing whose the first person to go through.

M
  • Options
    Showing them what? I don't understand that last bit. Showing them you're the alpha male in the group? I'm not tracking you're train of thought.
  • Options
    And let me clarify and I'm sorry if it sounded like I was name calling. I'm not saying you are petty, or a shallow person or anything like that. I'm saying this behavior Taking joy in fishing for a fight that has no real threat of consequences, if I understand it right, seems petty.

Also, low self esteem frequently disguises itself as arrogance so that earlier statement may not prove your point.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Showing them what? I don't understand that last bit. Showing them you're the alpha male in the group? I'm not tracking you're train of thought.

Sure, I meant "attack one, attack all." I'll be the first person in jump into the mix.

In the list of adjectives to describe myself, "Alpha Dog" isn't on the list. That's too much of a group commitment. I'm more like a wild mustang (Adam would say its my animal totem.)

M
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    random73 said:

And let me clarify and I'm sorry if it sounded like I was name calling. I'm not saying you are petty, or a shallow person or anything like that. I'm saying this behavior Taking joy in fishing for a fight that has no real threat of consequences, if I understand it right, seems petty.

Also, low self esteem frequently disguises itself as arrogance so that earlier statement may not prove your point.

I have thick skin & called a lot worse then petty. So, even if you did mean to call me that, it's no big deal.

There's no real consequences and I don't need to threaten anyone. Threats are as ridiculous as ultimatums. I'm more...welcoming the gauntlet if need be. Whether I'm going to win or lose, I'm not going to turtle.

Arrogance often times gets misused as a synonym for confidence. I know who I am. I'm not the best, I'm not the smartest, I'm not infallible, & I'm not going to win every fight, BUT i won't have a lingering ? Mark above my head either.

M
  • Options
    fair enough.
    that clarifies.
    i agree threats and ultimatums are silly.
    I still think all this combat language is a little heavy for a comic book forum.
    i get what you're saying. sounds like you are who you are and you're not apologizing for it. thats ok. like what you like. be who you are.
    I'm too old to pretend to be anything other than what I am so I can appreciate where you're coming from to a certain degree but philosophically i think i'm a little more mellow.
    I'm not ever looking for a fight (doesn't mean i don't occasionally find them).
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So what's been going on in here? :P

Some updating from the last time:

Episode 264:
    http://thedailyrios.com/the-daily-rios-264-you-better-work/

4x4 and a mini-review on All-New X-Men:
    http://thedailyrios.com/4x4-all-new-x-men/

New Comics Wednesday!
    http://thedailyrios.com/category/wednesday/
  • Options
    Recommendations from the October Previews for comics and collections mostly shipping in December, including works from longtime CGS favorites: Action Lab, Comfort Love and Adam Withers, and Dave Wachter!

http://thedailyrios.com/previews-for-december-2013/
  • Options
    Timeline Tuesday: October! Walking Dead! Jimmy Olsen! It's Clobberin' Time!
    http://thedailyrios.com/timeline-tuesday-october/