Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Idris Elba's name always comes up, along with a few others. If he doesn't have time to do a full season of Luther, I don't see how he'd be able to handle Doctor Who's schedule.

Same thing with Helen Mirren, John Hurt, Hugh Laurie, Benedict Cumberbatch... anyone with a film career is not going to want to put it on hold to do the show. I know Helen Mirren once said she'd love to do it for one year only, but when push comes to shove, I think the amount of time required to do it will scare most better known actors off. It's not just filming a show, it's making lots of appearances, going to conventions, dealing with merchandising. It's probably not comparable to anything else they've done.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    My nomination: BEN DANIELS

photo bendaniels_zps79bc7cf2.jpg

photo bendaniels_zps8295ca29.jpg
  • Options
    I keep seeing Ben Daniels name pop up, and I'm totally unfamiliar with him. Those two pictures are a little more encouraging than the bland head shots I've been seeing in articles so far, though.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I've thought for a long time that Bill Nighy would make an awesome Doctor.
  • Options

I've thought for a long time that Bill Nighy would make an awesome Doctor.

He claims he already turned it down once, but wouldn't reveal when out of respect for the actor who eventually got the role.

v.47380653,d.aWc
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    ctowner1 said:

Planeis said:

I like CNN saying at the end of their story possible doctors: idris ilba, hellen mirren and John Hurt.

Uhm.. No.. no... no....

why? I'd be psyched with any of those 3! All are top notch actors.

e
    L nny
    I like Idris, but not for Doctor Who. I like John Hurt, don't care for Helen. They aren't for the Doctor now. Also, like someone else said. They'd be gone quickly.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Dr Who casting speculation I will opt out of. Essentially it is some English actor who will seem inappropriate til he faces his first Dalek. I don't know the BBC farm system and Michael Keaton as Batman will always be ultimate proof that we really know nothing til the finished product is seen.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

Dr Who casting speculation I will opt out of. Essentially it is some English actor who will seem inappropriate til he faces his first Dalek. I don't know the BBC farm system and Michael Keaton as Batman will always be ultimate proof that we really know nothing til the finished product is seen.

Michael Keaton as Batman is always cited as the ultimate "not what you would expect, but worked really well" casting...

Well, granted, he was the best thing about those movies, but that ain't saying much. I love Keaton, but if you put him in the Batsuit in a movie that wasn't Tim Burton's patented tossed-salad of weird! camp! artsy! stripes! dark! he would stand out as really, really miscast. It's just that the rest of the movie, around him, was such a hacked together mishmash that he fit right in.

He's a great actor, but as Wayne, he stuck to the Joey from Friends method of acting, where he either A. pretended to smell something bad, or B. looked off into the distance and thought about stuff. As Batman, he just had to stand there in a really well designed suit.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

shroud68 said:

Michael Keaton as Batman is always cited as the ultimate "not what you would expect, but worked really well" casting...

Well, granted, he was the best thing about those movies, but that ain't saying much. I love Keaton, but if you put him in the Batsuit in a movie that wasn't Tim Burton's patented tossed-salad of weird! camp! artsy! stripes! dark! he would stand out as really, really miscast. It's just that the rest of the movie, around him, was such a hacked together mishmash that he fit right in.

He's a great actor, but as Wayne, he stuck to the Joey from Friends method of acting, where he either A. pretended to smell something bad, or B. looked off into the distance and thought about stuff. As Batman, he just had to stand there in a really well designed suit.
    Are we going to do this in a Doctor Who thread? Many of us remember the buzz among friends and at comic shops as Keaton was cast. It felt like a ton of bricks. The Superman movies were in the toilet and Keaton had little buzz as anything but a comic actor. He had a nice turn in Clean and Sober but outside that he was Mr Mom. He was too goofy and flip, things Bruce Wayne were not. Then he actually showed up in Batman and Batman Returns, more than just "A. pretended to smell something bad, or B. looked off into the distance and thought about stuff".

You are looking at his performance with almost 25 years hindsight and almost as many campy, crappy Burton films. Burton's patented style was not quite patented yet and less suffocating. Let's not re-invent history, Keaton's performance was beyond expectations. The comparison to the Doctor Who casting at least to me is I refuse to get bent out of shape one way or the other because as previously stated and pretty much accepted by most but Tonebone, you never can tell.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Guess WHO's been mucking about in Photoshop again?

• Options
    shroud68 said:

Tonebone said:

shroud68 said:

Are we going to do this in a Doctor Who thread? Many of us remember the buzz among friends and at comic shops as Keaton was cast. It felt like a ton of bricks. The Superman movies were in the toilet and Keaton had little buzz as anything but a comic actor. He had a nice turn in Clean and Sober but outside that he was Mr Mom. He was too goofy and flip, things Bruce Wayne were not. Then he actually showed up in Batman and Batman Returns, more than just "A. pretended to smell something bad, or B. looked off into the distance and thought about stuff".

You are looking at his performance with almost 25 years hindsight and almost as many campy, crappy Burton films. Burton's patented style was not quite patented yet and less suffocating. Let's not re-invent history, Keaton's performance was beyond expectations. The comparison to the Doctor Who casting at least to me is I refuse to get bent out of shape one way or the other because as previously stated and pretty much accepted by most but Tonebone, you never can tell.
    I was 20 years old when Batman was released, and I was not impressed then, or now. I was a fan of Keaton and Burton at the time, and Batman and Batman Returns soured me on both of them (although Keaton's work later redeemed him for me). Returns remains the sole movie I have ever walked out of. Keaton's performance in the original was not beyond MY expectations... I knew he could act. I was sitting in the theater when Night Shift introduced him to the world. But the Batman script simply did not require him to use his talents, and he and the movie suffered for it. It was campy and sloppy and crappy then and now. I have no need to re-invent history... I was there.

As far as the Doctor Who casting goes, I have loved them all, so far, and hope they pick someone interesting.

• Options
    Tonebone said:

shroud68 said:

Tonebone said:

shroud68 said:

I was 20 years old when Batman was released, and I was not impressed then, or now. I was a fan of Keaton and Burton at the time, and Batman and Batman Returns soured me on both of them (although Keaton's work later redeemed him for me). Returns remains the sole movie I have ever walked out of. Keaton's performance in the original was not beyond MY expectations... I knew he could act. I was sitting in the theater when Night Shift introduced him to the world. But the Batman script simply did not require him to use his talents, and he and the movie suffered for it. It was campy and sloppy and crappy then and now. I have no need to re-invent history... I was there.

As far as the Doctor Who casting goes, I have loved them all, so far, and hope they pick someone interesting.

We are the same age then but I maintain as popular opinion and consensus showed that Keaton's performance rose far above expectations. Your dislike of Burton's Batman films, while understandable, is by far the minority opinion and seems to cloud what is pretty much established fact, Keaton's Batman/Bruce Wayne rose above what we thought at the time of casting. It is re-inventing history and/or a cheap shot to compare him to Joey from Friends.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    More Photoshop antics.
    This lastest mash-up is one I created for my Facebook banner (Note: I cropped it for display on this forum). The fourth Doctor (my FB avatar - appears off to the left when viewed on FB).

• Options

If anyone has been curious to check out Big Finish's Doctor Who audios but have yet to get around to it, the BF people themselves have placed 8 complete recordings for download cheap as free and all legal-like on Soundcloud:

Smattering of stuff here: some Peter Davison, some Colin Baker, some companion-centric stuff (some of which I think was originally sent out to Doctor Who Magazine subscribers)... basically, enough to give you the gist of what they do. The only one of these I've heard before is The Mutant Phase, an outstanding 5th Doctor and Nyssa story, so if you want a place to start, choose that one. I don't think you'll be sorry.

Awesome. Thanks for the link. Listening to Cuddlesome right now. Good stuff.
    Started listening to this today. I always knew those damn Furbys were up to no good! :D
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Tonebone said:

Ugh... I may be done with Doctor Who for a while. On BBC America, there are these little "behind the scenes" things during the commercial breaks, and in one of them, Moffat talks about how now, everyone writes the Doctor perfectly. That's crap. Matt Smith, I have no problem with, but the writing has gone so far downhill, that I don't know if it can recover.

All the stories, lately, are so fantastical and illogical... it's as if it doesn't matter if they have a coherent plot or not, as long as A) Matt Smith runs around yelling and looking like he's screwed up ad really CARES, and suddenly has a great revelation... and B) we don't find out anything else about Clara, but are led to believe there is SO MUCH more to know. (Clara, by the way, has ZERO personality, and I could care less what her story is, and would just as soon see her thrown into the sun.)

I'm tired of Reset Buttons, and the Doctor stepping on, weaving through, manipulating, and otherwise molesting his own timeline, to go back 2 hours and hand himself the solution.

I'm tired of "Love saves the day".

I'm tired of the thing that looks evil is really misunderstood.

I'm tired of the companion is the key to everything, and could bring about the destruction of us all.

Moffat's best works were The Girl in the Fireplace and Blink, and they were, in my opinion, the best of the series to date, but he seems to have turned out to be a pony with very few tricks.

That sums up how i felt about Pond. couldn't stand the broad. I'm much happier with Season 7 part 2 and find JLC much more likable. I actually feel the stories are more coherent than there were in the "Pond era". Although I still think Moffat's leash is too long and he occasionaly veers into fanfic. I used to complain about Russel Davies throwing everything at the wall just to see what stuck and I was super excited when Moffat took over, largely because of Blink and Girl in the Fireplace, but now I'm missing Russel quite a bit. This Doctor WHO idea (name of the Doctor) has been floating around in Moffats head for years. Madame du Pompador even asks the question herself in "...Fireplace". still excited about the 50th.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Tonebone said:

Don't forget "I have a fish hook in my eyebrow and I like it."
  • Options
    Hey @Tonebone: I've got your back. I, too was never a big fan of the Burton/Keaton Batfilms. I blame the director and the decision to concentrate on the villains far more than I blame Keaton though. He really wasn't given much more to do than smell bad things... like the scripts.

Dear "Off-Topic" flaggers: this is Page 20 of a thread. Drift happens.
  • Options
    Caliban said:
    It's Rich Johnston, so there's always that "approach with caution" vibe to anything he says (though, to his credit, he's always pretty open about the fact that he's reporting rumors that may or may not be true), but if there's anything he has ever reported that I desperately hope is true, it's this.
  • Options
    My nominee for the next Doctor: David Monteith.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

Tonebone said:

shroud68 said:

Tonebone said:

shroud68 said:

We are the same age then but I maintain as popular opinion and consensus showed that Keaton's performance rose far above expectations. Your dislike of Burton's Batman films, while understandable, is by far the minority opinion and seems to cloud what is pretty much established fact, Keaton's Batman/Bruce Wayne rose above what we thought at the time of casting. It is re-inventing history and/or a cheap shot to compare him to Joey from Friends.
    I am not popular opinion or consensus. He was a force to be reckoned with in Clean and Sober, and in Batman, he did nothing. The script gave him nothing to do. He was shown up by Robert Wuhl, for god's sake. My expectations was Clean and Sober, and I got Joey. As far as my opinion being in the minority compared to the consensus, I saw the movie in rural North Carolina, with 5oo NASCAR hat wearing mouth breathers who never read anything, never mind a comic book, in their lives, and it was deemed the greatest thing ever put on film. Of course, they saw Gung Ho, not Clean and Sober, as an index as to how high Mr. Keaton's acting bar was. The masses are largely idiots. I do not agree with them, in order to follow the consensus in movies, politics, or in fashion. If you liked Batman, and Keaton in it, fine. I find no fault in that. But my opinion is reasoned and valid and is mine.

By the way, It was on TV this past Sunday, and it still sucks. I watched (as much as I could stand) specifically for Keaton's acting, of which there was none.

And before someone "off topic's" me.. Yay Doctor Who!
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Hmm...How about Micheal Keaton as the new Doctor! Just as long as he can do a convincing british accent.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I'm sure that whoever the next doctor is, he will not disappoint.
  • Options
  • Options
    Currently watching (reading, listening) ALL of Doctor Who. Still with the first Doctor.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

ALL of Doctor Who.

Except destroyed episodes I assume?
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

ALL of Doctor Who.

that's where the reading and listening comes into play ;)

btw: on the new special edition DVDs there are new animated formerly-missing scenes added. Pretty cool stuff.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

ALL of Doctor Who.

I'm very thankful for the talented folks that put together "lost" episodes by running screen shots or animation on top of the audio track.
  • Options
    My Whoathon has entered the Davidson years. I'm remembering why I tuned out around this time. The companions are two children and a bitch.

That wasn't nice. Sorry.

Janet Fielding is quite attractive, but man can she complain. She reminds me of Phyllis Coates as Lois Lane. Beautiful woman but she makes the 1st season of Adventures of Superman really hard to watch.