Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    chrisw said:

As much as I'd love this to be true, wouldn't they have held up the release of the Tenth Planet DVD if they'd recovered episode four? I think it just came out Tuesday, and I'm waiting for my library to get it before I see it, but last I'd heard it still featured an animated final episode.

I really thought we'd get some more announcements in the week leading up to the 50th, but nothing yet.

Agreed, but it's been in the pipeline for a while, they did pay Cosgrove-Hall for the animation and would be inclined to use it, and if these things exist they might need a lot of work in order to be presentable. Plus, BBC/2Entertain love doing special edition re-releases and box sets, and there's a perfect excuse!

As always, it's a long shot, but come on, BOTH Troughton Dalek stories are on that list... I have to hold out hope!
  • Options

The missing episode rumor mill continues, according to an article quoted by DoctorWhoArchive.com:

Information has been provided to DWA which apparently provides a list of what episodes were recovered. This list was allegedly posted online in June of this year and comes from a very good source (not the original poster, if indeed there was one).

Certain aspects of this article were amended following an objection from a concerned party, the alleged original poster. We of course apologise for any distress caused. The list remains the same.

As ever this should all be taken as rumour at this stage, this time however we will be passing comment given the claims of the source.

List of Missing Episodes Found

The complete list

D: Marco Polo found in both Hong Kong and Ethiopia
    H: The Reign of Terror‘s two missing episodes found in both Hong Kong and Ethiopia
    P: The Crusade‘s two missing episodes found in Ethiopia
    T: Galaxy 4‘s three missing episodes found in Ghana
    U: The Myth Makers found in it’s entirety in Ghana
    W: The Massacre found in its entirety in Ghana
    Y: The Celestial Toymaker‘s missing episodes found in Ghana
    AA: The Savages found in its entirety in Ghana
    CC: The Smugglers found in its entirety in Ghana
    DD: The Tenth Planet episode 4 found in Ghana
    EE: The Power of the Daleks found in its entirety in Ghana
    FF: The Highlanders found in its entirety in Hong Kong
    GG: The Underwater Menace‘s two missing episodes found in Hong Kong
    HH: The Moonbase‘s two missing episodes found in Hong Kong
    JJ: The Macra Terror found in its entirety in Hong Kong
    KK: The Faceless Ones‘ four missing episodes found in Hong Kong
    LL: The Evil of the Daleks found in its entirety in Hong Kong
    NN: The Abominable Snowmen status uncertain, all episodes possibly found in Nigeria or Hong Kong
    PP: The Enemy of the World found in Nigeria in its entirety
    QQ: The Web of Fear found in Nigeria in its entirety
    RR: Fury from the Deep found in its entirety Hong Kong
    SS: The Wheel in Space, found episodes 1, 4 and 5 in Nigeria and maybe episode 2 in Hong Kong
    VV: The Invasion‘s two missing episodes found in Hong Kong
    YY: The Space Pirates missing episodes found in Hong Kong

88 Episodes Found of 106 Missing or
    +5 Episodes Found of 106 Missing (including The Abominable Snowmen 1,3-6?) or
    +1 Episodes Found of 106 Missing (also including The Wheel in Space 2?)

List of Still Missing Episodes

T/A: Mission to the Unknown (1)
    V: The Daleks’ Master Plan (1,3,4,6,7,8,9,11,12)
    NN: The Abominable Snowmen (1,3-6)?
    OO: The Ice Warriors (2,3)
    SS: The Wheel in Space (2)?

18 Episodes Still Missing of 106 Missing or
    -5 Episodes Still Missing of 106 Missing (excluding The Abominable Snowmen 1,3-6?) or
    -1 Episodes Still Missing of 106 Missing (also excluding The Wheel in Space 2?)
    The piece at the site goes on to describe how/why these episodes may be turning up in all these far flung places. Worth a read.

http://doctorwhoarchive.com/2013/11/18/missing-episodes-is-this-the-list-of-found-episodes/

I don't know how accurate or true this list is because we started work on a new Moonbase DVD this week and the missing episodes are the animated reconstruction. I doubt the BBC would being paying for new dvd authoring and distribution for an incomplete serial if they were working on restoring the completed version.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    It's a good story. I've read the novelization of it and I have the audio version from audible.com. It even has bridging narration from Frazier Hines which is pretty cool. It's not a hugely strong story overall but I like it and to have it would be awesome not just because it's the first Troughton story but I want to see more stories with Ben and Polly as well. There's not enough footage of those two and that's just a shame.
  • Options
    Im not a fan of the second prequel
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4295773

Tom Baker claims to be in 50th anniversary special
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Very cool Google game for the 50th
  • Options
    random73 said:

I'm kinda mad he ruined it. It was a shock and a surprise, one I was impressed with how they had kept it under wraps. Though its not exactly what you'd expect.
  • Options

random73 said:

I'm kinda mad he ruined it. It was a shock and a surprise, one I was impressed with how they had kept it under wraps. Though its not exactly what you'd expect.
    Rule #1 Stephen Moffet lies.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2013
    random73 said:

random73 said:

I'll be honest, I'm still impressed with how much still hasn't been spoiled. The Paul McGann thing was awesome, and certain other details of the special are... um... again, not exactly what you'd expect. Usually by this point most of the details are floating around out there.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited November 2013
    Yikes!
    Random73, please use spoiler warnings when announcing such big reveals (whether confirmed or not). I hadn't heard that, and had your post been prefaced with a big WARNING I wouldn't have read any further.

This is an image I made for my tumblr. site. Admittedly, it draws heavily from the official line of images being released on the Doctor Who Facebook page.

• Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Holy crap I'm excited for the 50th Anniversary tomorrow. I'm fortunate to be in London for the Doctor Who Celebration and get to spend some time with @Gargoyle and his family as we all geek out together.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    jaydee74 said:

It's a good story. I've read the novelization of it and I have the audio version from audible.com. It even has bridging narration from Frazier Hines which is pretty cool. It's not a hugely strong story overall but I like it and to have it would be awesome not just because it's the first Troughton story but I want to see more stories with Ben and Polly as well. There's not enough footage of those two and that's just a shame.

I watched the War Machines last night, the only complete story that exists for Ben and Polly. They're definitely an improvement over the rotating door of companions that dominates much of Hartnell's last season. It's a shame Jamie makes them obsolete, but there was really no reason to keep them once he came aboard. I think they may be the most forgotten of the companions - even minor ones like Katarina and Sara Kingdom at least have deaths that make them memorable. Aside from being present at the first regeneration, they don't do anything big, and I think to some they seem like a lingering plot element that gets in the way of the Second Doctor's run really taking off.

I'm just three stories away from watching a recon of Power of the Daleks, so I'll be experiencing it myself for the first time. I like Hartnell, but I'm eager to wrap that era up.
  • Options

random73 said:

random73 said:

I'll be honest, I'm still impressed with how much still hasn't been spoiled. The Paul McGann thing was awesome, and certain other details of the special are... um... again, not exactly what you'd expect. Usually by this point most of the details are floating around out there.
    Exactly. The McGann reveal proved that pretty much anything is on the table at this point (and I'm so glad I saw that without being spoiled, because most the internet was pretty much falling all over itself to spoil it just as soon as they could!), so I'm just looking forward to seeing how things go.

And I'll probably be offline completely from about 2 pm EST tomorrow until whenever it is I finally get to see it just to avoid spoilers (I have to imagine Twitter will be especially bad as people will probably want to live tweet it).
  • Options

Im not a fan of the second prequel

Yeah, it didn't really do much, did it? And those were some pretty dodgy looking CGI Daleks.
  • Options
    It's always amazed me that the BBC didn't think to at least keep the Dalek stories. I can see them sticking to their policy with the others, but surely someone must have thought "Hey, these things are really popular, maybe we should hang onto them."

Although, I guess by the early '70s they weren't the cultural phenomenon they'd been a few years previous, so maybe it made sense at the time.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

It's always amazed me that the BBC didn't think to at least keep the Dalek stories. I can see them sticking to their policy with the others, but surely someone must have thought "Hey, these things are really popular, maybe we should hang onto them."

Although, I guess by the early '70s they weren't the cultural phenomenon they'd been a few years previous, so maybe it made sense at the time.

The UK had a very different broadcast structure because the BBC nationalized. The idea that there would be a secondary market within the UK to sell these episodes to probably did not even occur to anyone until the 70s. To them, they were wasting space storing videotape of shows that it was inconceivable that they would be broadcast again, when they could save money by reusing the tape stock and save on storage space as well. Hindsight says that it was extremely shortsighted, and thousands of classic BBC programs are lost forever, but I guarantee whoever came up with the idea got a raise and a promotion.
  • Options
    Sorry @Fade2Black I haven't seen it yet I intended it as an unconfirmed rumor. I haven't seen the special yet so I don't know to what degree it may be true or not. Still, rude of me not to give a heads up. I won't do it again.
  • Options

chrisw said:

The UK had a very different broadcast structure because the BBC nationalized. The idea that there would be a secondary market within the UK to sell these episodes to probably did not even occur to anyone until the 70s. To them, they were wasting space storing videotape of shows that it was inconceivable that they would be broadcast again, when they could save money by reusing the tape stock and save on storage space as well. Hindsight says that it was extremely shortsighted, and thousands of classic BBC programs are lost forever, but I guarantee whoever came up with the idea got a raise and a promotion.
    Makese sense. And it's not like the BBC were the only ones to do such a thing. Countless shows in the US are lost forever for similar reasons. No one thought to keep Carson's first decade on the Tonight Show. The only reason we have "I Love Lucy" in reruns is because they had the foresight to record their east coast broadcast to re-use for the west coast. I've read that Grouch Marx actually drove to the network to collect the tapes of his old show when he found out they were erasing them. Crazy as it seems today, apparently TV was viewed as disposable. TV was to movies as magazines were to books back then, I suppose.
  • Options
    Just finished "An Adventure in Space & Time". I thought it was pretty well done. Pretty much the typical docudrama approach, but with a great lead performance that elevated the whole thing. David Bradley was great as Hartnell - his voice wasn't a direct match, but he captured the essence, and in a few shots, it was like looking at the man himself.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited November 2013
    chrisw said:

Back then, film was incredibly expensive. Original footage was recorded over because it financially justifiable to do so. It was common practice to sell prints to overseas buyers. "Prints" is probably not the right word, for many of the copies that were distributed were created by projecting the original film onto a screen. The copies were in fact new recordings of the projected footage. Almost all of the recordings recovered on other continents were created via this method.

The BBC isn't the only major party to recycle tapes. Back in the mid-seventies, the way tapes were manufactured changed, which in turn led to a shortage of tapes in the 80s. As a result, NASA taped over its original Apollo 11 recordings. Granted, those recordings had aired and were duplicated numerous times, so the footage still exists. However, the quality of those re-recordings don't match the originals, and it's kind of mind boggling to think NASA would tape over something so historically significant.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    @ChrisW You have to also remember that the BBC does not own the Daleks, the estate of Terry Nation does....And not too long after Evil of the Daleks (the second Troughten Dalek story) Nation took the property to US in an attempt to get a Dalek series launched here. When this happened, Nation forbid any further sales of the Dalek advenutres so the prints were not sold to any other foreign markets after the initial cycle.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

chrisw said:

Makese sense. And it's not like the BBC were the only ones to do such a thing. Countless shows in the US are lost forever for similar reasons. No one thought to keep Carson's first decade on the Tonight Show. The only reason we have "I Love Lucy" in reruns is because they had the foresight to record their east coast broadcast to re-use for the west coast. I've read that Grouch Marx actually drove to the network to collect the tapes of his old show when he found out they were erasing them. Crazy as it seems today, apparently TV was viewed as disposable. TV was to movies as magazines were to books back then, I suppose.
    Similarly, Ernie Kovacs's widow Edie Adams actually purchased the footage of Ernie's various shows from the networks when she heard they were dumping/erasing them. I'm happy that at least some folks were interested in preserving TV history!
  • Options

chrisw said:

chrisw said:

Similarly, Ernie Kovacs's widow Edie Adams actually purchased the footage of Ernie's various shows from the networks when she heard they were dumping/erasing them. I'm happy that at least some folks were interested in preserving TV history!
    A slightly more recent example was the Filmation library. They sold everything they made to European markets, except Star Trek which Paramount owned, which were upscaled to PAL specs, then destroyed their entire NTSC catalog because they thought it had run it's course. All the DVDs, iTunes files, current broadcast copies are actually down converts of the PAL upconverts. If you look closely you can see artifacts from the conversion process and all the episodes run 2-3 minutes faster due to the different framerates.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    WOW. the Day of The Doctor was great
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    When Clara said at the end there was an old man looking for the doctor, I was certain it was going to be David Bradley as the first doctor.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    As much as I loved watching it without commercials , I'm looking forward to rewatching it with commercials so I can digest the different parts during the commercials.