Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Planeis said:

Why is Gallifrey suddenly soooo heavily populated? It always seemed like one city and thats it.

Low budgets.

I'm more curious about what's wrong with the Gallifreyan textile industry. Why can't they make cloth in any color but red?
  • Options
    Marathon said:

Looking ahead to the christmas special, it's going to be 99% Matt Smith with about 30 seconds of Peter Capaldi right? That's how they've been doing the regenerations isn't it? So we'll actually have to wait till the middle of next year to properly get to the next doctor.

Probably, but maybe this time, they'll break the pattern.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    WetRats said:

I'm more curious about what's wrong with the Gallifreyan textile industry. Why can't they make cloth in any color but red?

Maybe Arcadia had a heavy concentration of Prydonians?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Marathon said:

Looking ahead to the christmas special, it's going to be 99% Matt Smith with about 30 seconds of Peter Capaldi right? That's how they've been doing the regenerations isn't it? So we'll actually have to wait till the middle of next year to properly get to the next doctor.

Usually, yes. I was really hoping one of the big swerves of the anniversary special was that the regeneration would take place there and we'd get a proper full Capaldi story before the break.

Of course the last time they introduced a new Doctor before the season finished, we ended up with The Twin Dilemma, so I can maybe see why they were hesitant to try that again.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Plus, Capaldi will be in Matt Smith's clothes. I'm guessing we'll have to wait until next year to see how his Doctor will actually look.
  • Options
    Here is some analysis on the Special and what it means for the character of the Doctor now and going forward…

http://www.rpsteeves.com/2013/11/guest-blog-day-of-doctor-analysis-by.html
  • Options

Here is some analysis on the Special and what it means for the character of the Doctor now and going forward…

http://www.rpsteeves.com/2013/11/guest-blog-day-of-doctor-analysis-by.html

I think she's spot on.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    edited November 2013
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

The Five(isn) Doctors Reboot:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy

Loved this. Really nice companion* piece to Day of the Doctor.

Of course, Peter Davidson will always be Tristan Farnon to me.

*See what I did there?
  • Options
    I also liked the symmetry of featuring Rose/Bad Wolf and Clara/The Impossible Girl.

Nice bookending.
  • Options
    I smiled at every cameo. It was quite awesome.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Last night, while watching it with a crowd, another smart thing the special did occurred to me. I know there was some trepidation among some fans, especially younger, more recent ones, over casting 55-year old Peter Capaldi. But the audience loved Hurt's Doctor at the showing I attended. And they laughed at him doing things that the show simply can't do with more youthful Doctors. It was a good reminder of a style of Doctor that we've missed out on in recent years, and a good indicator of why we need such a shift. I've loved the Tennant/Smith eras, but watching them both together pretty much maxed out my interest in seeing any more young, wacky Doctor for a while. There's nothing left to mine out of that concept.
  • Options
    I think it's going to be a nice contrast going from Matt Smith who is the youngest person to play the Doctor to Peter Capaldi who is the same age as William Hartnell when he played the role which in itself is rather neat in itself.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Last night, while watching it with a crowd, another smart thing the special did occurred to me. I know there was some trepidation among some fans, especially younger, more recent ones, over casting 55-year old Peter Capaldi. But the audience loved Hurt's Doctor at the showing I attended. And they laughed at him doing things that the show simply can't do with more youthful Doctors. It was a good reminder of a style of Doctor that we've missed out on in recent years, and a good indicator of why we need such a shift. I've loved the Tennant/Smith eras, but watching them both together pretty much maxed out my interest in seeing any more young, wacky Doctor for a while. There's nothing left to mine out of that concept.

I, too, really was pleased by the enthusiasm the largely-young crowd showed for the "old dudes".

I was afraid we'd lose the fans who were drawn in by the the dreamy young doctors, but I think the great lot of them are well-and-truly hooked.
  • Options
    I think people are going to be okay with an older Doctor. To use Star Trek as an example, as much as people love the action-oriented Captain Kirk, people also loved Captain Picard. I think the moment we see Peter Capaldi in the role of the Doctor, he'll get a lot of fans.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I think people are going to be okay with an older Doctor. To use Star Trek as an example, as much as people love the action-oriented Captain Kirk, people also loved Captain Picard. I think the moment we see Peter Capaldi in the role of the Doctor, he'll get a lot of fans.

It's the disproportionate number of young women who I feared we'd lose.

Tennant & Smith certainly have drawn the birds.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

jaydee74 said:

There were at least a dozen teenage girls dressed like Matt Smith at my showing.

I'm sure for someone out there, that would probably be some kind of fetish overload.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

WetRats said:

jaydee74 said:

There were at least a dozen teenage girls dressed like Matt Smith at my showing.

I'm sure for someone out there, that would probably be some kind of fetish overload.
    Yep. Fezes and Bowties galore.

One of the girls Saturday wore a bowtie, red Chucks and a long black coat. She spread the love among all three nuDocs.
  • Options
    That's kind of cool. I love to see people do a mix and match Doctor Who costume.
  • Options
    $4.8 Million!

That's gotta be more than the budget for the entirety of the Fourth Doctor's run, right? B-)
  • Options
    Not to mention it set another record:
    GUINNESS WORLD RECORD FOR THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR
    http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/guinness-world-record-for-the-day-of-the-doctor
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

Not to mention it set another record:
    GUINNESS WORLD RECORD FOR THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR
    http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/guinness-world-record-for-the-day-of-the-doctor

Eat that, Star Trek!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Am I remembering An Adventure in Time and Space right? I thought they referenced 10 million viewers for the first episode of Dr. Who. Those sound like huge numbers by todays standards.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Am I remembering An Adventure in Time and Space right? I thought they referenced 10 million viewers for the first episode of Dr. Who. Those sound like huge numbers by todays standards.

themindrobber.co.uk/ratings.html

I was curious because I thought I'd heard that myself, and it turns out there's a handy chart for the entire show's history. It's an interesting read.

I knew it dropped off in the later years, but I hadn't realized there were such big declines toward the ends of Troughton and Tom Baker.

And, yes, it's often hovered around 10 million., which is about where the new series often lands, also. I'm wondering if that was more or less impressive back in the '60s and '70s, though? With less viewing options, typically older shows have much higher numbers than we see today. I remember a few years ago reading that a generic episode of The Beverly HIllbillies remains (or at least did at the time) the highest rated non-special episode of a TV series, for no reason other than a lot of people chose to watch that instead of their two other options that night.
  • Options
    I'm also not as sure if that is as impressive compared to today's standards but still, it's a great amount of people to have watched a show like that back in the day. I think it's rather impressive.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited November 2013
    In the UK a household has to have a tv licence to watch broadcast television.
    In 1963 there were 12.4 million licences.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom_(historical)#Number_of_licences_issued
    In 2010 there were 25 million licences.

Doesn't tell you how many viewers per household but that 10 million in 1963 must have represented a sizeable chunk of the potential audience.
  • Options
    Caliban said:

In 1963 there were 12.4 million licences.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom_(historical)#Number_of_licences_issued
    In 2010 there were 25 million licences.

Doesn't tell you how many viewers per household but that 10 million in 1963 must have represented a sizeable chunk of the potential audience.

Not to diminish in any way, but weren't there just 2 channels in 1963? BBC & ITV?
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Or own a cat.

At least that's what the gent in the cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge said.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Yup, just the two channels in 1963