Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited December 2013
    random73 said:

Greg said:

random73 said:

Ok Spoiler-y sort of question.

Tasha Lam.

Anybody else see All Kinds of River Song parallels there?

She says the Kavorian's crated a psycopath to kill him
    he says he married that psycopath
    later he refers to Tasha as a psycopath
    he kisses her
    she slaps him
    He tells the Daleks she would die before she told them (we are talking about his name here)
    The Daleks say she did, several times...
    She struts like River

I keep trying to make an anagram out of the name Tasha Lem but not a lot of luck. of course getting Mel out of Lem is not hard and that fits but i'm looking for more.

thoughts?

Yes, yes, yes. My daughter and I both jumped on this but couldn't come up with much of anything.
    oh yeah. AND she flys the Tardis.
    That's what really got my daughter going. She jumped off the couch, jaw dropped...."WHAT? HOW? WHAT THE?"
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Still talking potential spoilers...but really just speculation.

River's consciousness is uploaded and saved in the computer at the end of Forest of the Dead. She doesn't regenerate because she (ostensibly) used her remainig regenerations on 11 (or 13 now I guess) at the end of Let's Kill Hitler. The Papal Mainframe could be a down the road evolution of her consciousness in the computer I suppose.
  • Options
    Then again Tasha Lem could just be a Sham Tale, (probably the best option)
    or a Late Sham.
    Could be a Meat Lash
    or Seal Math.
    Team Lash
    or S.A. Hamlet.

*sigh*
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I didn't realize until last night that my in-laws don't have BBC America, so I didn't get to see it until tonight.

Honestly, I didn't love the story. Lots of great ideas in search of a stronger plot to hang them on. I would have preferred something a little tighter and more concise. Instead, we got the kind of story that, for me, brings out the worst in Moffat. Lots of meta commentary on the show itself, and by the end, he'd written himself into a corner that required a sudden, almost magical solution.

The regeneration, however, was handled well, although Capaldi's introduction felt rushed, especially since we won't be seeing him again for probably eight months or so.

The geekiest moment for me: the Cybermen (and I believe the Daleks as well) saying "The Doctor is required." That's what WOTAN the computer says in "The War Machines", one of the only other episodes in which The Doctor is referred to repeatedly as "Doctor Who".
  • Options
    Yeah, I finally got to sit down and run through it a second time last night. I agree that Moffit needs a leash. The story was certainly not the strongest of the series and it felt like Moffitt had a number of things he wanted to happen and twisted the plot like a freak show contortionist around them. A what? 700 year Mexican stand off resolved by a pretty girl telling the time lords to help I they love him? They don't. They don't even like him.
    Call me old fashioned but I need a little more linear storeytelling put into a plot. Beginning, middle and end is nice. Every episode doesn't have to be a universe shattering event. I don't know what kind of influence Capaldi might have but I'd really like to reel in the silliness a notch.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    chrisw said:

Honestly, I didn't love the story. Lots of great ideas in search of a stronger plot to hang them on. I would have preferred something a little tighter and more concise. Instead, we got the kind of story that, for me, brings out the worst in Moffat. Lots of meta commentary on the show itself, and by the end, he'd written himself into a corner that required a sudden, almost magical solution.

Well, he did have to write the 50th anniversary special too...This is why I wish we had one more year of Matt Smith. If there had been a little more breathing room between Day and Time of the Doctor, then maybe it would work a little better.
  • Options

chrisw said:

Well, he did have to write the 50th anniversary special too...This is why I wish we had one more year of Matt Smith. If there had been a little more breathing room between Day and Time of the Doctor, then maybe it would work a little better.
    What? Like the 50th anniversary snuck up on him? He didn't know it was coming?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    How did the Silence go from priests to cluttering ceilings and zapping people?
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

How did the Silence go from priests to cluttering ceilings and zapping people?

No idea.
  • Options
    Didn't the Doctor say his favorite Christmas cracker jokes we're ones that started with knock knock?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NnA1Z9m_ZqI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNnA1Z9m_ZqI
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    random73 said:

chrisw said:

What? Like the 50th anniversary snuck up on him? He didn't know it was coming?
    Maybe Matt Smith's leaving may have sneaked up on him (snuck isn't a word)...Remember a lot of BBC press announcements after Name of the Doctor did seem to indicate that we were going to get another Smith season next year.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    From Dictionary.com

snuck [snuhk]
    a past participle and simple past tense of sneak.
    Usage note
    See sneak.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526

imageimage

Very good catch.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

imageimage

Except he totally failed to answer! Nowhere in those hundreds of years was he ever compelled to actually answer the question.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    "When no LIVING creature..."
    He exploited a loophole by dying.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    More spoiler thoughts

Okay, so with a new set of regenerations is Capaldi the new Hartnell because he is #1 or is he the new Troughton because he is the first regeneration. That would actually make Smith 13/1 and Capaldi 2. rather than Smith 13 & Capaldi 14/1 Thoughts?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    random73 said:

More spoiler thoughts

Okay, so with a new set of regenerations is Capaldi the new Hartnell because he is #1 or is he the new Troughton because he is the first regeneration. That would actually make Smith 13/1 and Capaldi 2. rather than Smith 13 & Capaldi 14/1 Thoughts?

Shortly before he regenerated, Smith said something about "re-starting his regenerative cycle" or something along those lines, so I take it that Capaldi is the first in another thirteen.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

random73 said:

More spoiler thoughts

Shortly before he regenerated, Smith said something about "re-starting his regenerative cycle" or something along those lines, so I take it that Capaldi is the first in another thirteen.
    Yeah that was my initial thought as well. Unfortunately, my buddy Madcap can never accept an easy answer. His thought was the Smith recieved the new regeneration cycle and Capaldi was the first regeneration in that cycle making him the 2nd Doctor of the new cycle.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:
    "Waaah Waaah Moffat Waaah."

Even as a relatively new Whoie, I'm sick unto death of the back-seat driving and the Moffat-bashing.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

Even as a relatively new Whoie, I'm sick unto death of the back-seat driving and the Moffat-bashing.
    I was trying to think of a "softer" reply, but whole heatedly agree with what you've written.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

I was trying to think of a "softer" reply, but whole heatedly agree with what you've written.
    As do I.
  • Options
    kiwijase said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

As do I.
    My knee jerk reaction to this was to say something snarky but upon reflection that's probably not a nice idea. I've been a fan for 30 years. I've seen good Who, bad Who and no Who. This isn't my favorite but I'll take it over nothing anyday. I think the best thing about Moffit is he's a fan. I think the worst thing about Moffit is he's a fan. That's my opinion. It doesn't have to be your opinion. But I'm not apologizing or recanting my statement. Moffitt needs a leash.
  • Options

imageimage

Except he totally failed to answer! Nowhere in those hundreds of years was he ever compelled to actually answer the question.
    He didn't fail to answer the question. He is the Doctor. That is the name he gave himself and to him, that the name of the Doctor is his truth.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

Same here. At worst, I would say Moffat's Doctor Who stuff is very intricate and a tad complex but still very entertaining. I will look bak at the Matt Smith era as some of my favorite Doctor Who stories.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    random73 said:

My knee jerk reaction to this was to say something snarky but upon reflection that's probably not a nice idea. I've been a fan for 30 years. I've seen good Who, bad Who and no Who. This isn't my favorite but I'll take it over nothing anyday. I think the best thing about Moffit is he's a fan. I think the worst thing about Moffit is he's a fan. That's my opinion. It doesn't have to be your opinion. But I'm not apologizing or recanting my statement. Moffitt needs a leash.

I agree with all of this. I like what we've got right now better than nothing at all, but I think it's very uneven and I've liked other periods a lot better. But Time of the Doctor had its moments, and I thought Day of the Doctor was a hell of a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Capaldi brings to the role.
  • Options
    I thought Day of the Doctor was very entertaining although I am in love with Night of the Doctor. I thought Time of the Doctor just had a lot of stuff with just a short amount of time but I still enjoyed it for what it was and I thought the regeneration scene was just very good and I am looking forward to the continuation of the show with Peter Capaldi in the role. It should be very interesting.