Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited December 2013
    chrisw said:

rebis said:

I'm going to miss Matt Smith.
    Which is odd, because he bugged the hell out of me in the beginning.
    I felt the same way. Didn't dislike him, but wasn't exactly looking forward to 3+ years of him as The Doctor. Now, I wish we were getting another year or even two with him. It feels abrupt to lose him now. As much as I liked Tennant, I was ready for him to go when the time came.
    I think it's because Smith only really grew into the role this past season. We finally got to see the 11 that was hinted at in some of Matt Smith's earlier performances and now its like, "You only just got here!"
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I loved Smith's doctor from the start. He falls just behind Baker on my list of top docs.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited December 2013
    I'm partial to Tennant, but Smith is definitely in the running. Baker was my first exposure to the character so he gets my nostalgia nod, but I never really became an OMG DOCTOR WHO IS ON fan until Tennant's run.
  • Options
    Me mucking about in Photoshop.

I changed the color of his suit, but I left the interior cuff pattern as is. I intentionally overlayed the text with the same stripe pattern that appears on his cuff. I'm wondering if that striped pattern will be a motif we see used later on, whether on his shirt or elsewhere. There hasn't been much discussion about what the new Doctor's outfit will look like (at least not in this forum). Does anyone care to make predictions?

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

chrisw said:

rebis said:

I felt the same way. Didn't dislike him, but wasn't exactly looking forward to 3+ years of him as The Doctor. Now, I wish we were getting another year or even two with him. It feels abrupt to lose him now. As much as I liked Tennant, I was ready for him to go when the time came.
    I think it's because Smith only really grew into the role this past season. We finally got to see the 11 that was hinted at in some of Matt Smith's earlier performances and now its like, "You only just got here!"
    I haven't re-watched any of his run, but I think you're right. I'm not sure if things clicked with series 7, or when the Ponds departed halfway through that series, but it feels like there was a definite change around then. Smith's performance clicked, and the focus shifted more on The Doctor. I have a feeling that going back and watching those early Smith seasons may feel a bit more like The Amy Pond Show than Doctor Who.

Maybe it took Moffat that long to figure out how to write The Doctor as opposed to writing for the companion. Either way, I'd love to have one more season of this Doctor and companion before moving on, no matter how much I'm looking forward to Peter Capaldi. I wouldn't want more than that - I've yet to see a Doctor who benefited from going five seasons or more, even Tom Baker. Yeah, I know we wouldn't have gotten Romana and all that, but in a lot of those later episodes, the only good parts are The Doctor and Romana talking in the TARDIS.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    chrisw said:

chrisw said:

rebis said:

I haven't re-watched any of his run, but I think you're right. I'm not sure if things clicked with series 7, or when the Ponds departed halfway through that series, but it feels like there was a definite change around then. Smith's performance clicked, and the focus shifted more on The Doctor. I have a feeling that going back and watching those early Smith seasons may feel a bit more like The Amy Pond Show than Doctor Who.

Maybe it took Moffat that long to figure out how to write The Doctor as opposed to writing for the companion. Either way, I'd love to have one more season of this Doctor and companion before moving on, no matter how much I'm looking forward to Peter Capaldi. I wouldn't want more than that - I've yet to see a Doctor who benefited from going five seasons or more, even Tom Baker. Yeah, I know we wouldn't have gotten Romana and all that, but in a lot of those later episodes, the only good parts are The Doctor and Romana talking in the TARDIS.
    Yes Yes Yes! That "Amy Pond Show" issue was exactly my beef with Smiths first season. There were two episodes in a row (Smiths first two I think The Beast Below and whatever his debut episode was) where Pond saves the day rather than the Doctor. That was not okay with me.
  • Options
    random73 said:

chrisw said:

chrisw said:

rebis said:

Yes Yes Yes! That "Amy Pond Show" issue was exactly my beef with Smiths first season. There were two episodes in a row (Smiths first two I think The Beast Below and whatever his debut episode was) where Pond saves the day rather than the Doctor. That was not okay with me.
    The universe LITERALLY revolved around her.
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Hmm. That didn't sell me on first watch. I liked the last 5 minutes but overall it seemed a bit of a mess.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    There was a lot to digest and the pacing of the meal felt rushed.
  • Options

There was a lot to digest and the pacing of the meal felt rushed.

Yes, especially the resolution of some things that went back ages. I wonder if the timing of Smith's decision to leave and the 50th anniversary left them trying to squeeze a good few episodes worth of resolution into an hour.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Without spoiling too much. All I could think about after the regeneration process was this scene from Star Trek IV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9tY5HEpR-U
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    ooops. totally forgot to watch it. :\">

will have to catch it otherwise.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed it. Yes, it felt a little crowded and busy. The bowtie falling choked me up...it was the moment it really sank in for me. I'm going to miss Matt Smith but I'm excited for what c comes next.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I liked it...Though, I think it was hampered by the fact that most of us are still feeling the hangover from DOTD.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Spoilers sweetie

Don't click the link if you dont want to see...

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/video/the-eleventh-doctor-regenerates
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I enjoyed it and so did the rugrats. My wife very rarely watches the show, it was cool to see her getting into it.
  • Options
    Is it normal for the Doctor to not know how to do something he's done a million times after a regeneration(flying the TARDIS)? I know he sometimes has a hard time using his new body but not knowing how to take over and fly his ship seemed odd to me.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Is it normal for the Doctor to not know how to do something he's done a million times after a regeneration(flying the TARDIS)? I know he sometimes has a hard time using his new body but not knowing how to take over and fly his ship seemed odd to me.

Well, he hasn't needed to use the Zero Room or strangle his companion recently...In other words; just chalk it up to post regeneration oddness.
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

Well, he hasn't needed to use the Zero Room or strangle his companion recently...In other words; just chalk it up to post regeneration oddness.
    yeah, regeneration has occasionally been a smidge unpredictable. @RedRight88's references to the 5th and 6th Doctor's regenerations are spot on. The 7th Doctor had some memory problems as well. Bad enought that he couldn't distinguish his companion Mel from The Rani in a wig so, yeah...Post regeneration oddness, it is. Situation Normal AFU.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I think given how much 11 went on about not forgetting a single moment, he odds are that 12 won't remember a thing.
  • Options
    Gargoyle said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I think given how much 11 went on about not forgetting a single moment, he odds are that 12 won't remember a thing.
    oh thats funny! An absent-minded-professor sort of vibe...I could dig that.
  • Options
    Cool, thanks guys.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I loved the episode. Thought it was really great. I am so looking forward to the new season of Doctor Who and seeing the new dynamic between Peter and Jenna. There is only one thing I felt was missing from the regeneration and it was the way the Doctor would comment on his new appearance. I hope we get that in some fashion. I always find that amusing.
  • Options
    Ok Spoiler-y sort of question.

Tasha Lam.

Anybody else see All Kinds of River Song parallels there?

She says the Kavorian's crated a psycopath to kill him
    he says he married that psycopath
    later he refers to Tasha as a psycopath
    he kisses her
    she slaps him
    He tells the Daleks she would die before she told them (we are talking about his name here)
    The Daleks say she did, several times...
    She struts like River

I keep trying to make an anagram out of the name Tasha Lem but not a lot of luck. of course getting Mel out of Lem is not hard and that fits but i'm looking for more.

thoughts?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    random73 said:

Tasha Lam.

he kisses her
    she slaps him
    He tells the Daleks she would die before she told them (we are talking about his name here)
    She struts like River

I keep trying to make an anagram out of the name Tasha Lem but not a lot of luck. of course getting Mel out of Lem is not hard and that fits but i'm looking for more.

thoughts?

Yes, yes, yes. My daughter and I both jumped on this but couldn't come up with much of anything.
  • Options
    Greg said:

random73 said:

Tasha Lam.

he kisses her
    she slaps him
    She struts like River

thoughts?

Yes, yes, yes. My daughter and I both jumped on this but couldn't come up with much of anything.
    oh yeah. AND she flys the Tardis.