Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I missed what the Dr. named the critters. Did you happen to catch that on the sub-titles?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    rebis said:

I missed what the Dr. named the critters. Did you happen to catch that on the sub-titles?

The Boneless.

I guess everyone missed it, because I've read three separate reviews where they mentioned not catching the name at the end.
  • Options
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    chrisw said:

rebis said:

The Boneless.

I guess everyone missed it, because I've read three separate reviews where they mentioned not catching the name at the end.
    I wound it back twice and still couldn't catch it. Thanks!
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    As I noted on my original tumblr. entry.

ACCidENTS happen.

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited October 2014

BBC vs. BBC America
    (Oh, my!)

You can't tell me that's not just a little racist.

Let me just say, one of my jobs at work it reviewing CCs and I've seen some hilarious screw ups, but this takes the cake.
  • Options

BBC vs. BBC America
    (Oh, my!)

Let me just say, one of my jobs at work it reviewing CCs and I've seen some hilarious screw ups, but this takes the cake.
    Prior to recording our podcast for this episode we discussed what the caption process entails. We quickly ascertained that we really are clueless as to what sort of checks and balances are in place. Are you able to shed some light as to how such a royal f*** up could have happened?
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited October 2014

BBC vs. BBC America
    (Oh, my!)

Prior to recording our podcast for this episode we discussed what the caption process entails. We quickly ascertained that we really are clueless as to what sort of checks and balances are in place. Are you able to shed some light as to how such a royal f*** up could have happened?
    Captioning is a tough job, most captioners have to be able type 125 wmp, accurately all by ear. That includes sound effects, emphasis, correct speaker tags etc. It's usually the last thing that's done and rarely gets a pass before broadcast, besides a spot check for timing. With accents it's even harder. It will probably be fixed for future repeats, and definitely by the dvd release, which gets a full QC (that's where I come in). But these kinds of mistakes happen all the time. They don't get the option to go back an listen again, possibly because it can affect the timing which is always the priority.
  • Options
    Rod28Rod28 Posts: 63
    After listening to a podcast called Verity, do check it out, I found out that Peter David wrote a short story for the Eighth Doctor. It's a book of short trips, published by Big Finish, called The Quality of Leadership.
  • Options

BBC vs. BBC America
    (Oh, my!)

Captioning is a tough job, most captioners have to be able type 125 wmp, accurately all by ear. That includes sound effects, emphasis, correct speaker tags etc. It's usually the last thing that's done and rarely gets a pass before broadcast, besides a spot check for timing. With accents it's even harder. It will probably be fixed for future repeats, and definitely by the dvd release, which gets a full QC (that's where I come in). But these kinds of mistakes happen all the time. They don't get the option to go back an listen again, possibly because it can affect the timing which is always the priority.
    I thought I'd read that captioners for Doctor Who received scripts to guide them, which is how some of them were leaked earlier this year.

Although, maybe that process stopped by the time this episode came around, because of that very problem.

I'm also curious as to why if it was captioned already, and correctly, by the BBC, why did BBC America have to have someone else caption it for them? Wouldn't they just use the same one?

I don't doubt that it's a hard job, but that last episode had a lot of typos, spelling errors, missing words, etc. I'm guessing it was rushed.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

BBC vs. BBC America
    (Oh, my!)

I thought I'd read that captioners for Doctor Who received scripts to guide them, which is how some of them were leaked earlier this year.

Although, maybe that process stopped by the time this episode came around, because of that very problem.

I'm also curious as to why if it was captioned already, and correctly, by the BBC, why did BBC America have to have someone else caption it for them? Wouldn't they just use the same one?

I don't doubt that it's a hard job, but that last episode had a lot of typos, spelling errors, missing words, etc. I'm guessing it was rushed.
    America has different captioning standards, needing to include all of the sound and music cues for hard of hearing, plus have American spelling. And while it's true that they often have a script, scripts are not always 100% accurate, and it's used more as a reference for characters and weird spelling (like Dalek or is someone's name was Osborn, that it wasn't Osbourne etc).
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Rod28 said:

After listening to a podcast called Verity, do check it out, I found out that Peter David wrote a short story for the Eighth Doctor. It's a book of short trips, published by Big Finish, called The Quality of Leadership.

That's a great podcast. Also check out Radio Free Skaro.
  • Options
    @jaydee74‌ Of course. RFS started my path to Doctor Who podcasts. Warren, Steven, and Chris are great guys. I met them in 2010 at my first Gally. Two Minute Timelord, Tardis Tavern, The Minute Doctor Who podcast, The Ood Cast, and The Pharos Project are a couple other good ones.

• Options
    @Rod28 I love Tardis Tavern. I also like the Memory Cheats, The Happiness Patrol, The Doctor Who podcast and The Tin Dog. I also loved listening to The Flashing Blade Podcast when it was Tony and Jo. They played off each other so amazingly.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Some of you may view an orange T.A.R.D.I.S. as being tantamount to blasphemy,
    but as a Bay Area native and long-time S.F. Giants fan, blue is currently the enemy.

• Options
    @jaydee74‌ Nice. I use to listen to Flashing Blade and Tin Dog but I got behind trying to listen to far too many Doctor Who podcasts so I dropped them. I randomly listen to The Memory Cheats since Steven is the cohost with Josh. Do you listen to the Big Finish podcast? Toby's Who's round is excellent. So sad the Paul died. I was very lucky to meet him last year at Chicago Tardis.
  • Options
    I listened to just about all of them at one point or another. I don't do the Big Finish stories although I really want to. I love Paul McGann and I hear nothing but great things from the Charlie series. My first Doctor Who podcast was probably almost everyone's but it was Doctor Who PodShock.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I listened to just about all of them at one point or another. I don't do the Big Finish stories although I really want to. I love Paul McGann and I hear nothing but great things from the Charlie series. My first Doctor Who podcast was probably almost everyone's but it was Doctor Who PodShock.

I believe that RFS was the first one I listened to and through them I found the others including Podshock.
  • Options
    Nice. I love The Tin Dog Podcast. It's nice and short and the TARDIS Tavern is very entertaining. The Happiness Patrol always makes me smile. I love their theme song.

Now, on to the show. I am very intrigued by the last two episodes of this season. Does anyone have any theories?
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

Nice. I love The Tin Dog Podcast. It's nice and short and the TARDIS Tavern is very entertaining. The Happiness Patrol always makes me smile. I love their theme song.

Now, on to the show. I am very intrigued by the last two episodes of this season. Does anyone have any theories?

River song was uploaded into Dr. Moon.
    Dr. Moon evolved into the Papal Mainframe
    River Song is Tasha Lem.

That has nothing to do with the upcoming episodes but its all I've got.
  • Options
    I'm very curious about what's up with Clara. The preview for the next episode gave has me wondering about what's up with her.
  • Options
    most interesting theory i've heard (although pretty unlikely) is Missy as Romana. she was last seen in a 4th Dr. episode left in E-space. So if she is in an alternate universe she could have managed to not be included in the Timelords bubble. Now she finds her way back to this universe. The boyfriend comment isn't too weird coming from her. The books have turned her rather villanous.

unlikely but...
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I'm very curious about what's up with Clara. The preview for the next episode gave has me wondering about what's up with her.

Since they chose to show the scenes they did, I'm guessing everything we saw with Clara is intended to lead us to believe something very different from what actually happens. There's no way we got that big of a revelation in a trailer.

This is the first time in a while that I've had no idea what was going to happen in a finale. I have no firm idea as to who Missy is. I'm not even certain if it actually is a Cyberman story, or they just happen to be there. And since they don't seem to be filming the Christmas special yet, I'm not even sure that Clara will be back for it. I know they say she's in the cast, but there's no proof. Even the writers who saw an advance copy of the episode said parts of it had been removed, so apparently some big stuff is going to go down.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

jaydee74 said:

Since they chose to show the scenes they did, I'm guessing everything we saw with Clara is intended to lead us to believe something very different from what actually happens. There's no way we got that big of a revelation in a trailer.

This is the first time in a while that I've had no idea what was going to happen in a finale. I have no firm idea as to who Missy is. I'm not even certain if it actually is a Cyberman story, or they just happen to be there. And since they don't seem to be filming the Christmas special yet, I'm not even sure that Clara will be back for it. I know they say she's in the cast, but there's no proof. Even the writers who saw an advance copy of the episode said parts of it had been removed, so apparently some big stuff is going to go down.
    I thought there was no Christmas Special this year.
  • Options
    random73 said:

chrisw said:

jaydee74 said:

There is one. Guest starring Nick Frost.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

random73 said:

chrisw said:

jaydee74 said:

There is one. Guest starring Nick Frost.
    Frost at Christmas! HA!
  • Options
    Hmmmm. Missy=mephistopheles?
    Nah. Doesn't work as well as Lou & lucifer.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Another theory I've heard is Missy = Romana. It's based on K9 referring to Romana as Miss or Mistress.
    Very thin.
    I think Missy is a new character.
  • Options
    rebis said:

random73 said:

Another theory I've heard is Missy = Romana. It's based on K9 referring to Romana as Miss or Mistress.
    Very thin.
    I heard that too. i actually posted that a little earlier in the thread although I missed the Mistress=missy bit. I actually kind of like that. but it is thin
  • Options
    random73 said:

rebis said:

random73 said:

Very thin.
    I heard that too. i actually posted that a little earlier in the thread although I missed the Mistress=missy bit. I actually kind of like that. but it is thin
    ooh! her "heaven" is e-space. she's pullling people the Doctor fails to save into the e-space universe. Adric was from E-Space. The Doctor failed to save him. I could make that work.