Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    chrisw said:

As time goes by, I find both 10 and 11 at best immature, and often quite selfish.

Something of a douche ex machina, eh?
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Our review of The Caretaker is up.
    We also review the Big Finish audio adventure, Quinnis,
    and we spotlight (with permission) the Doubleclick's cello cover of The Doctor Who theme, which is also offered as a free download.

http://wanderin4d.libsyn.com/episode-247-the-caretaker
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    WetRats said:

chrisw said:

As time goes by, I find both 10 and 11 at best immature, and often quite selfish.

I'm just letting you know that I'm stealing that line.
    I haven't seen anyone comment on the bit at the end when the dead police officer says "My God" than Miss E. walks by, and the clerk says "She's rather busy at the moment" or somesuch, the implication is that Miss E. is "my God".

E for Elohim?

E for Elah?

E for Ehyeh?
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

chrisw said:

I'm just letting you know that I'm stealing that line.
    I was rather pleased with it, I will confess.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    THAT was the episode I needed. Kill the Moon brought it together for me.
    "One really bad day."

Danny Pink is rapidly becoming my favorite part of the season.
    WetRats said:

"One really bad day."

Danny Pink is rapidly becoming my favorite part of the season.

Isn't that what the Joker said in The Killing Joke was all it took?
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    chrisw said:

WetRats said:

chrisw said:

I do like the idea of the Doctor choosing to leave the Ponds be, though, I think you may be seeing something that isn't there.

Me? Do that? Perish the thought!
    chrisw said:

I don't think he would leave them trapped in the past like that. Personally, I think he should have just left them alone after series seven. When he saw them happily shopping in "Closing Time", it should have clued him in that they would have a life after him. I thought them sitting around that table talking with River Song was a much better exit.

Yes. He should have left them alone then, but he selfishly continued to meddle.

I am reinterpreting all The Doctor's previous acts through the #12 filter, and am really seeing him as a colossal jerk.
    Finding subtext that isn't there is pretty much required to make sense of (and sometimes enjoy) Classic Who, so I don't see why that shouldn't continue with New Who, even though these days the writers seem more self-aware than they did in the old days.

I think the reason 10 and 11 became so popular with the broader audience is because they more or less turned the Doctor into a Manic Pixie Dream Boy. Or perhaps I should say a Manic Pixie Dream Boy with a twist of Bad Boy.

And that plays into the empowerment of the companions, who act as the gateway for the audience. The more the companions can help the Doctor, the more we think we could help the Doctor—our Manic Pixie Dream Boy who so selflessly helps others—in their place. It kind of feeds into itself.

I dunno. Just a thought I had.

I think the reason 10 and 11 became so popular with the broader audience is because they more or less turned the Doctor into a Manic Pixie Dream Boy. Or perhaps I should say a Manic Pixie Dream Boy with a twist of Bad Boy.

And that plays into the empowerment of the companions, who act as the gateway for the audience. The more the companions can help the Doctor, the more we think we could help the Doctor—our Manic Pixie Dream Boy who so selflessly helps others—in their place. It kind of feeds into itself.

Interesting.

I wonder how the bowtie & fez brigade are reacting to this season.

chrisw said:

WetRats said:

chrisw said:

I do like the idea of the Doctor choosing to leave the Ponds be, though, I think you may be seeing something that isn't there.

chrisw said:

I don't think he would leave them trapped in the past like that. Personally, I think he should have just left them alone after series seven. When he saw them happily shopping in "Closing Time", it should have clued him in that they would have a life after him. I thought them sitting around that table talking with River Song was a much better exit.

I am reinterpreting all The Doctor's previous acts through the #12 filter, and am really seeing him as a colossal jerk.
    Finding subtext that isn't there is pretty much required to make sense of (and sometimes enjoy) Classic Who, so I don't see why that shouldn't continue with New Who, even though these days the writers seem more self-aware than they did in the old days.

I used to dance under the name, "Manic Pixie Dream Boy".
    rebis said:

Oh. My. God.

That was YOU?

Dude, we need to talk.

:\">
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    rebis said:

chrisw said:

WetRats said:

chrisw said:

chrisw said:

That was you? Maybe you remember me then. I danced under the name, “Girl Next Door,” but people looked at me funny, so I changed to “Village Idiot.”
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    WetRats said:

Interesting.

I wonder how the bowtie & fez brigade are reacting to this season.
    My wife teaches high school, and she gets the impression that her students aren't as into it this year, and there were a few that were really big fans during the Smith era. But she says most of them still watch it, and a few of them said they think Capaldi's a much better actor. They just don't think he's cute.

My wife, on the other hand, says he's now her favorite Doctor. She never liked Smith, but she loved Tennant, yet she says Capaldi's better. She actually makes me remind her when the show is on. It's the only thing we watch as it airs.
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

Oh. My. God.

That was YOU?

Dude, we need to talk.

There's nothing to talk about. I just need you to pick up your albums, paperbacks, and that damn cat.
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

Oh. My. God.

That was YOU?

Dude, we need to talk.

There's nothing to talk about. I just need you to pick up your albums, paperbacks, and that damn cat.
    Mittens!?

Mittens is still alive?
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

Oh. My. God.

That was YOU?

Dude, we need to talk.

Mittens!?

Mittens is still alive?
    Not if craps behind the sofa, again.
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

Oh. My. God.

That was YOU?

Dude, we need to talk.

Mittens!?

Mittens is still alive?
    Have you EVER cleaned her litter box?
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

Oh. My. God.

That was YOU?

Dude, we need to talk.

Mittens!?

Mittens is still alive?
    Yes. I line the box with pictures of you.
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

Oh. My. God.

That was YOU?

Dude, we need to talk.

Mittens!?

Mittens is still alive?
    No wonder she won't poop there, SHE still loves me!
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

Oh. My. God.

That was YOU?

Dude, we need to talk.

Mittens!?

Mittens is still alive?
    It's the only pussy that still loves you.
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

Oh. My. God.

That was YOU?

Dude, we need to talk.

Mittens!?

Mittens is still alive?
    It's the only pussy that still loves you.
    Now I remember why I left. More like Manic Pixie NIGHTMARE Boy.
    That last one got a bit dark. Sorry about that.
    edited October 2014
    rebis said:

This is what almost always happens with improv.

Eventually "Yes and" becomes "Yes and &#$* you!"

That said, this kind of interplay is what keeps me hanging out here.
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

This is what almost always happens with improv.

Eventually "Yes and" becomes "Yes and &#$* you!"

That said, this kind of interplay is what keeps me hanging out here.
    It is fun, isn't it.

Your point of things escalating out of control reminded me of something.
    Somehow, I ended Sunday night watching Revenge with with my wife. I remember enjoying the first season, but what I watched Sunday was nothing like the show I remember enjoying. At one point I said to my wife that the problem with shows like Revenge is that, if it's a hit, networks don't know how to, or won't end them and you end up with ridiculous stuff happening because they have to keep amping up the show. You end up with stuff like secret government agencies, black ops, Ninja and Ninja schools, at which point my wife looked over and said, "Oh yeah, all of that has been on the show."

OK. I apologize for derailing the thread. Please continue with discussion on what I believe has been a very entertaining season of Dr. Who.

THE MOON IS AN EGG!
    rebis said:

THE MOON IS AN EGG!

I'll never look at the moon the same way again.
  • Kill The Moon single-handedly killed any storytelling credibility the show ever had. It had more sixth-grade science inaccuracies than Superman IV. I really want to like this season, but I can't overlook the schlock. It was written on the level of a bad 1930's sci fi comic, with weird unexplained plot points, and bad characterizations. I know some of you guys are enjoying this season, but I just can't get past the decrease in quality. Even the music has taken a downturn. It was downright distracting.
    I will agree that the show isn't even trying to be scientifically "plausible" anymore. However, for me since the reboot, that stuff has been window dressing. I find this new dynamic in the relationship between Dr and Companion to be fascinating.
  • I was really looking forward to Peter Capaldi being the Doctor; I really like him as an actor. But I am struggling very much to really enjoy this season. I'm guessing it's the writing because I really haven't cared much for any of the stories. Someone mentioned a comparison to "The Sarah Jane Adventures", and I think that may be somewhat accurate.
    I'm hoping things eventually turn around with this show - perhaps next season.
    Tonebone said:

Kill The Moon single-handedly killed any storytelling credibility the show ever had. It had more sixth-grade science inaccuracies than Superman IV. I really want to like this season, but I can't overlook the schlock. It was written on the level of a bad 1930's sci fi comic, with weird unexplained plot points, and bad characterizations. I know some of you guys are enjoying this season, but I just can't get past the decrease in quality. Even the music has taken a downturn. It was downright distracting.

If you're looking for accuracte science from Doctor Who you are looking in the wrong place. This isn't and never has been a "hard sci-fi" show. This is a fantasy/adventure show loosly disguised as sci-fi. Matt Smith's era embraced that quite a bit more boldly with the whole "madman in a box" and fairy tale elements but they were just saying out loud what has always been the case.

The moon as an egg is not about the science It is just an excuse to put humanity in the position of making a horrible choice. Having the Doctor bug out and leave it to the humans to decide their own path was the point of the story. This is an extremely character heavy story that highlights the alien-ness of the Doctor. Clara sees him as inhumane. He sees himself as respectful. The Doctor is not human and shouldn't be expected to have the same moral and cultural touchstones that "we" have. This isn't Mr. Wizard. The "science" isn't important. In the same way that in the Walking Dead the zombies aren't "important" they are just setting. They are an excuse to put a small group of people under intense pressure and turn up the heat. The drama comes from the people interactions not the zombies.