Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    In the Big Finish stories, Romana is no longer in E-Space. However, while the television program has done some things to incorporate the audio book stories, I'm sure they have free reign to do what they want with the characters.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    rebis said:

In the Big Finish stories, Romana is no longer in E-Space. However, while the television program has done some things to incorporate the audio book stories, I'm sure they have free reign to do what they want with the characters.

Yeah, didn't she become High President of Gallifrey for a while and have some corruption issues?
  • Options
    random73 said:

rebis said:

Yeah, didn't she become High President of Gallifrey for a while and have some corruption issues?
    I believe so.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited November 2014
    random73 said:

most interesting theory i've heard (although pretty unlikely) is Missy as Romana. she was last seen in a 4th Dr. episode left in E-space. So if she is in an alternate universe she could have managed to not be included in the Timelords bubble. Now she finds her way back to this universe. The boyfriend comment isn't too weird coming from her. The books have turned her rather villanous.

unlikely but...

On this week's podcast discussion, I touched upon the idea that Missy might be Romana as well, though the evidence I cited didn't involve K-9. Missy wears a brooch depicting the Roman goddess Flora. There was a Flora in the episode Tooth and Claw, but I can't see how that would be significant. Before being called "Flora", the Roman goddess went by another name, "Chloris". Chloris is the name of a Planet Romana and the 4th Doctor visited in the story arc, The Creature from the Pit. Chloris was a metal deficient planet ruled by Lady Adrasta.

Then we have the 12th Doctor's statements about why he chose the face that he did (back in Deep Breath). He seems to recall seeing the face before but can't put his finger on it. Of course, Whovians know Capaldi has appeared in both Torchwood and the Doctor Who episode The Fires of Pompeii. With Pompeii and Missy's/Miss E.'s brooch, we have two references to Rome. Romana is Latin for "Rome" (of course, "Romana" is also a truncated form of a much longer name, so these might all just be red herrings).

That said, the most plausible theory to me is that the computer that preserved CAL has somehow been corrupted and is trying to save everyone. Recall there was a Miss Evangelista in the Silence in the Library episode who was saved to the computer - "Miss. E." perhaps? Since River is there it makes sense that the Missy/Miss E. might somehow think the Doctor is her boyfriend if all personas trapped there had become amalgamated. When we talked about Missy theories earlier on in the podcast we mentioned a possible connection to the then upcoming titles Kill the Moon with Mr. Moon and In the Forest of the Night with (Forest of the Dead). However, neither of those possible ties panned out which now has me wondering if the rest of my CAL theory will also be debunked.

As I typed this I thought of another possibility. What if Missy is Clara? (Miss. C.) The Doctor eluded to the idea that when he regenerates he, on a subconscious level, chooses his next face. Missy (Miss C.) seemed to indicate that she had chosen well with Clara. What if Clara's addiction to being the Time Lord is taken to another level? And at some point she gained the ability to regenerate? In a way she already has that ability, for she keeps popping up throughout time.
    In any event, I guess we'll know soon enough.
  • Options
    And on a slightly different note...
    Here's a photo of the pumpkins I carved last night.

• Options
    I ingested a tad too much sugar last night, which left me restless. When I can't sleep I often Photoshop. The end result of my late night computer mucking is this animated GIF compiled from a series of images from a recently released RadioTimes Peter Capaldi photo-shoot. In order to get it to look right, I had to resize and crop the individual stills, then align them. I also added the outside outer blue border so that the images would all seem to be taken from a fixed camera.

• Options
    Well. Didn't see that coming.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    That reveal pissed my daughter off. She's still ranting.

However, I did finally recognize the symbol on the doors.
  • Options
    Sean Pertwee as his Pop on Halloween
  • Options
    rebis said:

Sean Pertwee as his Pop on Halloween

Oh that is blisteringly good!
  • Options
    Makes me wish for a new 2 Doctors with Sean Pertwee as 3 & PCap ... as 12.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I could use a little Venusian Karate action right now!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leJUe-pXF80
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm not sure how I feel about the first part of the finale. It wasn't bad and I had heard this theory enough times where it wasn't a complete shock to me. I could tell the Doctor knew as soon as "Missy" took the Doctor's hand and had him feel her chest. He probably felt the two hearts right then and there. I'm not 100% sure what Missy's plan is and how the Cybermen play into it but I'm intrigued. So far, this is a pretty good story but I have to wait and see the second part before I can really make my decision on how I feel about it. I will say that I am officially on board with Capaldi. I loved how he knew what Clara was going to do in the beginning of the story with the keys and said even though she betrayed him, he cared too much for her to even care. That was probably my favorite line in the whole episode. I loved it and I can't wait for the next episode.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I enjoyed the first part, and big reveal was pretty much the most sensible way to go, which is why I think so many people had dismissed it as too obvious as the season went on.

It's a shame they couldn't keep the Cybermen secret due to location filming. It would have been great to see those tanks drain without realizing what was in them.
  • Options
    Absolutely agree about the Cybermen. That is something where not knowing would have made me flip out with excitement when we had gotten to the reveal.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Warning potential spoilers.
    rebis said:

...However, I did finally recognize the symbol on the doors.

Yes, but did you recognize it elsewhere?
    A couple days ago I posted the following observation to my tumblr. site, and it quickly racked up over a thousand likes/shares:

http://trevsplace.tumblr.com/post/101661775093/deja-who

• Options
    So. My burning question and I am curious as to what other people think and I have listened to a few Doctor Who podcasts about this. What are your thoughts on "Missy" now?
  • Options
    That was a pretty Moffity gimick
  • Options
    More or less. I don't hate the idea but I am curious as to how it could happen. Here's hoping the Moffat nails the second part of this story.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    To reiterate, possible spoilers.
    jaydee74 said:

More or less. I don't hate the idea but I am curious as to how it could happen. Here's hoping the Moffat nails the second part of this story.

One theory is that Missy came through the painting in the 50th Anniversary Special.
    There's a shot of a hand that doesn't appear to belong to anyone actually carrying the painting when it's being sent to storage. Could the Time Lord technology responsible for trapping characters in paintings be used to access Gallifrey? Who knows?... Who knows.

• Options

jaydee74 said:

One theory is that Missy came through the painting in the 50th Anniversary Special.
    There's a shot of a hand that doesn't appear to belong to anyone actually carrying the painting when it's being sent to storage. Could the Time Lord technology responsible for trapping characters in paintings be used to access Gallifrey? Who knows?... Who knows.

holy shit.
  • Options
    =D>

Wow. That's pretty interesting. Looking forward to seeing the episode.
  • Options

jaydee74 said:

As awesome as that would be, I'm pretty sure that's Clara's hand but at an awkward angle.

She's wearing those same rings in the episode.

• Options
    More potential spoilers ahead.

I couldn't help but notice a similarity between two BBC still shots.

• Options
    Kazran Sardick just called.
    He wants his shark back.

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    I'm sure I am in the minority on this but I am sick and tired of Clara. She has gone from a kinda fun companion to a full blow pain in the butt and easily rivals Tegan as my most hated companions IMO.

Since the beginning of this season she has gotten worse with almost every episode and never before that I have felt that the writers have forgotten that the show is called "Dr. Who" not "The Companion"

The show has gotten to the point that I no longer to watch it when it first airs. Now it has been reduced to something I DVR and watch at a latter time when feel like it. Hell I rather watch a rerun of "Spock's Brain" then a new episode of Dr. Who
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Spoilers

Moffat has morphed this show into Doctor Who Cares about Clara. She became too much the focal point of an ongoing story. I was okay with that up until a point, but when there's only 12 episodes per series, I don't want her story commandeering all of them. Not only did the series finale feature Jenna Coleman's name ahead of Peter Capaldi's during the credit sequence, the Doctor's eyes that appear in the intro. credits were replaced with Clara's eyes. WHO's show is this?
    Another issue I have is that the ongoing story that they set up in the 50th Anniversary Special is the Doctor's search for Gallifrey. Sure, throughout series 8 we see him constantly working out equations on a chalkboard, but apparently he's still calculating.
  • Options

Spoilers

Not only did the series finale feature Jenna Coleman's name ahead of Peter Capaldi's during the credit sequence, the Doctor's eyes that appear in the intro. credits were replaced with Clara's eyes. WHO's show is this?

I thought that was a lot of fun. the credits run as if Clara's lie to the Cybermen was true.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

jaydee74 said:

As awesome as that would be, I'm pretty sure that's Clara's hand but at an awkward angle.

I went back and watched the 50th anniversary special after reading this post. I don't think that's clara's hand. Clara walks across the screen at that same moment but she is positioned serveral feet back from the hand. That would need to be a plastic man level awkward angle to that be her.
  • Options
    random73 said:

chrisw said:

jaydee74 said:

I went back and watched the 50th anniversary special after reading this post. I don't think that's clara's hand. Clara walks across the screen at that same moment but she is positioned serveral feet back from the hand. That would need to be a plastic man level awkward angle to that be her.
    I agree it looks really weird, and I'm just going by memory, but I recall that in the very next scene she's dead center in the painting, making it impossible for her to have grabbed the edge.

I just think that with the rings, on the same fingers, and the similar sleeve, it's probably a case of two shots that didn't match, but they figured it would go by so quick no one would notice. Maybe her hand reaching out in 3D was too good of an effect to pass up in that first shot, so they just went with it.

But I think it would be cool if I was wrong, and they actually planned things back this far.