Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Arrow

Comments

• Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited October 2016

Ragman on 'Arrow', Season 5 Episode 4 'Penance': A Comprehensive Review!

More information on Ragman as revealed in this latest episode and how it compares to the comics. (if you're interested)

PS: I've got my feelers out to Joe Dinicol's (the guy who plays Ragman) Talent Agent to see if I can land an interview. Wish me luck! And if anyone has advice on pursuing interviews from bigger names let me know. I've only had experience getting interviews with comic creators, not television or film actors/actresses.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Mr T is incredibly lame. Artemus is pointless and the pissing contest between Ollie and wild dog is already tired as hell. Like wilddog and the kid playing ragman.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Another great episode. Church was a really good criminal boss kind of villain. Prometheus is really interesting. Will see how he is connected to Oliver.

I'm thinking since Talia is coming. And plus the name Prometheus to me screams Regeneration or Resurrection. I think that somebody was brought back by the Pit?

And some will say the Pit was destroyed. It was destroyed in pre Flashpoint but after FP who knows? And also this person could have been brought back prior to the Pit being destroyed.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    batlaw said:

Mr T is incredibly lame. Artemus is pointless and the pissing contest between Ollie and wild dog is already tired as hell. Like wilddog and the kid playing ragman.

I think Mr T being lame is kinda the point. He's a super rookie. I haven't liked Wild Dog much either but I thought he was a lot better in this current episode.

And Artemis is pointless? Maybe for right now? But we have no idea how they want to grow her or any of these characters yet? So I'm going to wait until the end of the season before I decided if they are pointless?
  • Options
    Interesting episode. I thought that maybe that new DA guy was Tommy? And after this episode I'm positive he is.

And it kinda fits timing wise with Oliver and his transformation from a rich punk to a ba.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Vigilante was cool. Looked great.
  • Options
    Didn't see that cliffhanger coming with Artemis. Unless there is a comic tie. That was a pretty good episode.
  • Options
    Arrow has been really good this season. IMO at least as good as Season 1. The worst episode this season has been OK and that's pretty good.

S5 Ep9 Spoilers.

Episode 9 was really good. I'm not completely sold that Prometheus is this Claiborne's guy's kid? Prometheus pulling the V For Vendetta move was smart.

I always have a problem believing that someone can take Ollie One on One. Because he beat both Deathstroke and Ra's in One on One fights. If he could beat them than there is no one he can't beat.

And that ending is like WTF?????? Maybe it's the Earth 2 Laurel? And she either escaped the Flash Jail? Or Flashpoint made it to where they didn't catch her and she's stranded on Earth 1? Or Flashpoint somehow changed it to where she didn't die?

• Options
    Mihawk said:

Arrow has been really good this season. IMO at least as good as Season 1. The worst episode this season has been OK and that's pretty good.

S5 Ep9 Spoilers.

Episode 9 was really good. I'm not completely sold that Prometheus is this Claiborne's guy's kid? Prometheus pulling the V For Vendetta move was smart.

I always have a problem believing that someone can take Ollie One on One. Because he beat both Deathstroke and Ra's in One on One fights. If he could beat them than there is no one he can't beat.

And that ending is like WTF?????? Maybe it's the Earth 2 Laurel? And she either escaped the Flash Jail? Or Flashpoint made it to where they didn't catch her and she's stranded on Earth 1? Or Flashpoint somehow changed it to where she didn't die?

Agree on the Prometheus identity. I can't see this having a big emotional payoff with someone Ollie has never met. Can't see it.

It's weird. If she's alive due to Flashpoint then the team would have a memory of her not dying.

And I was wondering when Terence's hubby was going to start wondering where he was going every night and not noticed he got a shooting star in his back a few episodes ago. I thing he's not going to be so happy go-lucky now.

• Options
    Who Are You? Spoilers

It was an OK episode. A part of me is happy she was Black Siren. The part of me that was really interested in seeing that characters interaction with Oliver since she was introduced in that Flash episode last season.

But another part is very disappointed because Dinah isn't the Black Canary and some other character is going to be her.

I feel like Black Canary/Dinah is one of the top 5 female characters in DC comics and they are treating her like she's a second rate character on this series and always have.

And Felicity I really have tried to keep an open mind about her this season. Giving her fresh start since I really did like that character in the 1st 2 Seasons. But I really hated her in this episode.

I understand that they where trying to parallel what Siren said turned her evil with what Felicity is going through. But I just didn't work for me. And I am always in fear of them trying to make this show about her. Which is what has destroyed that character.

Prometheus I feel like there is 3 ideas who he could maybe be? An alternate version of Oliver? Tommy? Or Slade? And right now I am actually leaning towards Slade. But we will see?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    This episode was good. And the new Black Canary is ok. It's just going to take sometime excepting her. And the fact her name is also Dinah Drake is laughable. Considering Laurel's Mom in the series has already been named Dinah Drake Lance. Clearly a last ditch effort to appease the Comic Book fans.

The thing is this is the kinda thing they should have done with the original Laurel character in the first place. They should have done what Smallville did with Lois bringing her in later.

Talia is kinda cool but strange. Like why wouldn't that have come up in the 3rd season or with Nyssa? This is clearly a retcon but in comics retcon stuff happens all the time. So I'll let that pass.

• Options
    Mihawk said:

This episode was good. And the new Black Canary is ok. It's just going to take sometime excepting her. And the fact her name is also Dinah Drake is laughable. Considering Laurel's Mom in the series has already been named Dinah Drake Lance. Clearly a last ditch effort to appease the Comic Book fans.

The thing is this is the kinda thing they should have done with the original Laurel character in the first place. They should have done what Smallville did with Lois bringing her in later.

Talia is kinda cool but strange. Like why wouldn't that have come up in the 3rd season or with Nyssa? This is clearly a retcon but in comics retcon stuff happens all the time. So I'll let that pass.

In the show, Laurel's mother is just Dinah Lance. They've never used Drake as her maiden name. That's how they can get away with this new character being Dinah Drake.
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

Good call back. I would have never remembered that which is what they were probably hoping to happen.

I liked the episode. I get a feeling from the last two episodes that they are trying to keep setting the show up in a new direction. They get rid of the Canary statue and got a new Canary who has technically been a Canary longer than the old Canary. If that makes sense.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

Mihawk said:

In the show, Laurel's mother is just Dinah Lance. They've never used Drake as her maiden name. That's how they can get away with this new character being Dinah Drake.
    I may miss remember it? But I'm pretty sure they called her Dinah Drake? You can even Google it and picture of that actress pop's up.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    The problem with the Laurel character, and why it failed? Was the conception. They clearly didn't have any long term ideas with her. Maybe they thought someday will make her the Black Canary? But clearly they had no idea from the beginning how they where going to get to that point?

I have always said this, They should have waited to bring her into the series later on. But another way they could have done it? Is when Oliver gets back there is already a vigilante in the city and it's the Canary.

They could have gone with a storyline that her Mom was the previous Canary. And she worked with Wildcat. And retired when she either got married or pregnant? Laurel finds out takes up the mantle and Wildcat train's her.

But the point is either have her as a pretty bad ass woman from the start instead of a classic CW angst character. Or don't have her from the start and bring her in later once you've established your show.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I really enjoyed the episode. What I am really enjoying is how Oliver killing again is starting to bleed through the whole team. I like that it has an effect and isn't just ignored. And it's clearly going to have to come to a head.

Olicity really seems like it's over for good? And both Oliver and Felicity characters are much better for it. What Felicity is doing now is so much better then anything she did in Season 4 it's not even funny.

And it seems like their definitely taking the Tony Stark route with Oliver? And I suspect by the end of the season that everyone will know that Oliver is the Green Arrow?
  • Options
    The most recent episode, with regards to Rory/Ragman: I was pretty disheartened that they just took Rory off like that. As a huge Ragman fan (duh) I was hoping they'd justify having Ragman on the show with a Ragman-centric episode. Dive into his past. Or the suits past. Or both. Not just shuffle him off.

But I've been giving it some thought. They haven't said EXPLICITLY in the season that Rory's Ragman suit absorbs souls (like the character does in comics) but they haven't explicitly said it DOESN'T either.

In the comics, Rory can draw on the knowledge and power of the souls trapped in the suit. It's how they pay penance. Once they've done all they can, they're "redeemed" and able to pass on to whatever is next. I wonder if the strain of containing a nuclear blast didn't destroy/deactivate the suit, but instead drained it of all of it's souls? Maybe it just needs a fresh supply of evil-doers?

Thoughts? (I mean, it makes sense with regards to the comic history of Ragman, but what about in the Arrowverse?)
  • Options
    This latest episode was really good, extremely dark and one of my favorites of the series.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Mihawk said:

This latest episode was really good, extremely dark and one of my favorites of the series.

This proves the point of having a good villain always helps.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'm way, way, way behind on Arrow (all the CW shows, in fact), but just read that next season

SPOILERS

Earth-2 Black Canary will join the cast.

Since my first Black Canary was Dinah Drake Lance, who had emigrated to Earth-1 after being widowed, and developed the first overtly adult relationship I'd seen in comics with Oliver Queen, this makes me very happy. The eventual retrofix to make her her own daughter may well have been the beginning of my slow descent into disillusionment with "continuity".
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I'm way, way, way behind on Arrow (all the CW shows, in fact), but just read that next season

SPOILERS

Since my first Black Canary was Dinah Drake Lance, who had emigrated to Earth-1 after being widowed, and developed the first overtly adult relationship I'd seen in comics with Oliver Queen, this makes me very happy. The eventual retrofix to make her her own daughter may well have been the beginning of my slow descent into disillusionment with "continuity".

If this means that the new Dinah will just be forgotten/killed/leave/etc, then I'm irritated.
  • Options

WetRats said:

SPOILERS

If this means that the new Dinah will just be forgotten/killed/leave/etc, then I'm irritated.
    I don't think she'll just leave? I was thinking maybe Siren, Slade, and Boomerang would escape the Island in the Season Finale and they would fight the team next Season?
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

WetRats said:

SPOILERS

I don't think she'll just leave? I was thinking maybe Siren, Slade, and Boomerang would escape the Island in the Season Finale and they would fight the team next Season?
    Yeah, Arrow has a problem with Dark Archers (to a slightly lesser extent than Flash has with evil speedsters).

I want to see more Ragman though. I want Arrow to continue to get better and I want more Ragman.
  • Options
    Having a great villain like Prometheus makes all difference in the world. The 2 Seasons Arrows villains were bad the Seasons were bad. And now that the Flash's villain isn't great this Season the show isn't that great.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Mihawk said:

Having a great villain like Prometheus makes all difference in the world. The 2 Seasons Arrows villains were bad the Seasons were bad. And now that the Flash's villain isn't great this Season the show isn't that great.

Yep. I have it

S1 Malcolm Merlyn - Good
    S2 Deathstroke - Very Good
    S3 Ra's al-ghul - Meh - Batman villain
    S4 Damien Dahrk - Awful Magical villain was all wrong for this show.
    S5 Prometheus - Very good
  • Options
    Arrow has been fantastic this Season imo, I've watched all 4 of the series this year and Arrow is easily the best show.

I think this Season has matched Season 2 for me, and if the Finale is as good as I suspecting it to be? Then this Season may pass Season 2.

It's a shame that a lot of people bowed out after the awful season 4, which I understand, but if you have any interest at all and have Netflix? A week after the Finale, Season 5 will be on there.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited September 2017
    Post deleted (sorry, glitch).
    A bunch of old posts that originally didn't process properly decided to go through multiple times at a much later date. Weird.