Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    There are still some nice gems on Netflix. Check out this documentary sometime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzXpdYTUTmo
    Drew: The Man Behind the Poster

''Drew: The Man Behind The Poster'' is a feature-length documentary highlighting the career of poster artist Drew Struzan, whose most popular works include the Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Back to the Future and Star Wars movie posters. Telling the tale through exclusive interviews with George Lucas, Harrison Ford, Michael J. Fox, Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, Steven Spielberg and many other filmmakers, artists and critics, the journey spans Drew's early career in commercial and album cover art through his recent retirement as one of the most recognizable and influential pop culture artists of all time.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Currently watching the first season of The Clone Wars.

Not streaming on Netflix...

• Options

Currently watching the first season of The Clone Wars.

Not streaming on Netflix...

No, I don't stream. I get the DVDs each week.

And this week I'll be getting into the third season of The Closer.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Two seasons of Lie to Me I haven't seen yet and work is shut down tomorrow because of the snow. It's a burden.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    random73 said:

Two seasons of Lie to Me I haven't seen yet and work is shut down tomorrow because of the snow. It's a burden.

Lie To Me ended too soon.
  • Options
    Greg said:

random73 said:

Lie To Me ended too soon.
    Yup, sure did. Season 2 is no where near as good as season 1 was but still way better than average.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I tried to get my wife to watch a couple of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. We finished season 1 the other day and are slowing getting through the whole series. She missed it as a kid, but it's a fun refresher for me. I think I'll try to fit in the films where I can. BTW I just saw news that Spaceballs is now streaming.
  • Options
    Also, watching Luther series 1
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited January 2014
    random73 said:

If you enjoy it, stop there. If you are a masochist who enjoys hate-watching shows, then continue to Season 2.

• Options

random73 said:

If you enjoy it, stop there. If you are a masochist who enjoys hate-watching shows, then continue to Season 2.

That bad, huh?
  • Options
    random73 said:

random73 said:

That bad, huh?
    Eh, not really, but its a swerve, quality wise. Doesn't pick up much in the 3rd season either, but your expectations are better managed.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

random73 said:

random73 said:

That bad, huh?
    Eh, not really, but its a swerve, quality wise. Doesn't pick up much in the 3rd season either, but your expectations are better managed.
    With season 2, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the shorter series length made it difficult to tell as good a story.

But after season 3, I realized they didn't know what they were doing. I can only suspend my disbelief so much.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2014
    The wife and I just started Breaking Bad on Amazon Prime...we're only two episodes in..had to take a break after the acid/bath tub scene. Good stuff.

I want to start watching Veronica Mars before the movie comes out but Netflix doesn't have it and Amazon Prime charges you per episode. I could have sworn "prime" had it for free not that long ago...
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The wife and I just started Breaking Bad on Amazon Prime...we're only two episodes in..had to take a break after the acid/bath tub scene. Good stuff.

That was when my wife dropped out and never came back. But I don't think it was specifically that. I think she just found the whole concept too depressing to visit on a regular basis. Zombies she can handle fine, but someone dying of cancer bothered her too much.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2014
    chrisw said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

That was when my wife dropped out and never came back. But I don't think it was specifically that. I think she just found the whole concept too depressing to visit on a regular basis. Zombies she can handle fine, but someone dying of cancer bothered her too much.
    I can understand that. The subject matter certainly isn't for everyone.

I was actually surprised my wife busted out laughing when the bathtub fell through the floor. I thought for sure she'd call it quits.

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Just watched "Bronies", a documentary that's available on Netflix about the teenaged and adult fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Pretty good, maybe 15 minutes too long and maybe too sugary.

For those who haven't seen it, it mostly focuses on teenaged and adult men who are fans of the show. Obviously it shows some female fans, but the main plot of the doc is about the men and why they like the show and some of the struggles they face explaining this to friends, family.

I myself could have gone for maybe one less story (it follows several guys extensively, got a little redundant after a while) and could have gone for a little bit more about the show, the creators, rating, how many toys are sold. Stuff like that. But that wasn't really what the doc was about.

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Season 1 of House of Cards. Dang this is a great show to watch over the last two days. Looking forward for the next season soon.

Matthew
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    edited January 2014
    Edit: put this in the wrong thread sorry
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Found the Lego Avengers: Maximum Overload movie this weekend.

Really fun!

Warning: Contains at least one truly epic throwaway pun.*

*Apparently, Hulk is an Eagles fan.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Just watched Done the Impossible over the weekend. It's a documentary about the strength of Firefly fandom and their contribution in taking the cancelled series and making it into a viable property to be expanded to film.

It was pretty cool and did a nice job of affirming my opinion that most television execs could be replaced with banana slugs and the quality of programming would probably go up by several notches. The fact that the execs not only played hide the series, but elected to hold the pilot back and start with a later episode is so far beyond questionable decision making that it makes my head hurt to think of how the persons making those calls was allowed to get into any decision-making beyond responding to questions like "would you like fries with that?"

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Just started Season 2 of Dollhouse. Overall, I'm enjoying it in spite of a lot of things about the show that I don't like starting with almost all of the characters (well, it's hard to dislike the dolls as they don't really have characters of their own). The only characters that I really like at this point are Topher and Dr. Saunders and Topher is in spite of his participation in such an utterly vile venture. I think that, ultimately, I'm watching for the story that is behind the story - I'm far more interested in the conspiracy than the characters, though the motivation that was demonstrated in the Season One finale was disappointing at best, and I hope that they don't leave it simply as Immortality for the Ruling Class.

I really, really liked the Alan Tudyk episodes and man was the Season One finale a curveball.

Even excluding the interference from Fox programming execs, I think I can see why it was shortlived.

• Options
    Arrow: Season One.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I've heard good thing's about Richard Linklater's Before trilogy so I will be starting Before Sunrise soon
  • Options
    Before Sunrise was pretty good. B

Now I'm watching Cloud Atlas, it's interesting
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Two episodes into season one of Sherlock.
  • Options
    Greg said:

I'm so sick of all the Cumberbatchmania, that I can't get interested in it.
  • Options
    Greg said:

They're all good but I thing season 1 is the best of the bunch. Our local PBS channel is showing season 3 on Sunday nights and we just finished episode 2. Fun!
  • Options
    DAR said:

My wife and I watched Cloud Atlas over the weekend. It was her choice, but she ended up not liking it at all.

I did find it a little pretentious and heavy-handed at times, but I was also impressed by the amount of work put into it. Some intriguing ideas and some great performances, but it just kept trying so hard to be important.

And, in my opinion, the least convincing actor - Tom Hanks. The only role I bought him in was the future segment. Every other time, I kept thinking "Here comes Tom Hanks with a new funny nose and wig."
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    On a bit of a documentary binge the last couple of days. All totally worth it.

National Geographic: Inside North Korea
    Undefeated
    Bully

Watch them alone otherwise you're bound to get an eye leak.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

DAR said:

My wife and I watched Cloud Atlas over the weekend. It was her choice, but she ended up not liking it at all.

I did find it a little pretentious and heavy-handed at times, but I was also impressed by the amount of work put into it. Some intriguing ideas and some great performances, but it just kept trying so hard to be important.

And, in my opinion, the least convincing actor - Tom Hanks. The only role I bought him in was the future segment. Every other time, I kept thinking "Here comes Tom Hanks with a new funny nose and wig."

That was my feeling, though I think it was probably the best edited film since maybe JFK