Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    ctowner1 said:

chrisw said:

My fiancee and I are happy to finally watch Fringe now that Netflix is streaming it. Never watched it when it was on, and I've avoided learning anything about it, so it's all new to us.

It starts off a bit slow but gets A LOT better as s1 goes on. So if you're not wowed by it rigth away, hang in there!

e
    L nny

I've heard that, but we thought it was fine from the start, so no problems there.
  • Options
    Greg said:
    My queue was gutted by that. I literally lost a couple hundred films. Lots of hold horror films, plus the James Bond films (which only just recently came back to Netflix).
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    chrisw said:

My queue was gutted by that. I literally lost a couple hundred films. Lots of hold horror films, plus the James Bond films (which only just recently came back to Netflix).

They only had the Bond Films up for about a week didn't they?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

chrisw said:

They only had the Bond Films up for about a week didn't they?
    Maybe a little longer. I know I just added them in the last month or so. That's the second I time I started watching them on Netflix only to see them vanish before I got more than one film in.
  • Options
    Right before Skyfall, Walmart released some Bond films in small 3 movie collections for $9.99. I picked up both Sean Connery volumes and the first Roger Moore volume (the one without Moonraker). I love those.
    I lost the Bond films and the Silver Surfer cartoon earlier this week. My wife lost a lot of "her" classic movies. I'm sure they will rotate back on eventually.
  • Options
    Silver Surfer - didn't even realize I'd lost that as well. I hadn't started watching that, though, so not as much of a loss. I'm still working through those 1960s Spider-Man cartoons before I get to the more recent Marvel stuff.

I really hope the streaming thing settles down eventually, but I have a feeling we're going to go through a period of studios reclaiming their films to set up their own services, like Warner Bros is now. I have no interest in tracking down the films I want to see across a dozen different streaming services.

Netflix issued a press release claiming that the loss isn't that big of a deal, because most of the titles were older films, and they've since added new content like Hunger Games to replace them. The new films aren't the reason why I use Netflix. It's the hard to find older films that keep me around
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'll have to check my queue to see if there's anything I've lost.

Of course, some stuff has been languishing there for quite a long time without being watched, so maybe if it took me this long for me not to still never get around to 'em, maybe it's not such a loss.
  • Options
    That NBC article links to this list, if anyone is interested. Slow-loading site, but worth checking out if you want to know what's going away. As far as I've gotten so far, it looks like all the Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, and MTV stuff is going away... damn it, Viacom!
  • Options

That NBC article links to this list, if anyone is interested. Slow-loading site, but worth checking out if you want to know what's going away. As far as I've gotten so far, it looks like all the Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, and MTV stuff is going away... damn it, Viacom!

I think that's actually the next round of losses. I read today that they were losing Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, etc, on top of all the Warner Bros and MGM films they just lost.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Lincoln-'twas excellent. A
  • Options
    SonofthorSonofthor Posts: 73
    Just watched FireFly for the 2nd time and am working my way through Scrubs for a 3rd time.

Upcomming:
    Eureka
    Star gate

Suggestions???
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I don't have netflix, but allow me to recommend a couple of things if you can get them:

TV: Utopia (miniseries) - A political/scientific conspiracy and the search for a graphic novel that blows the whistle on it.

Film: Kill List - A very unsettling story of two hitmen who begin to regret taking on their latest job.
  • Options
    Sonofthor said:

Just watched FireFly for the 2nd time and am working my way through Scrubs for a 3rd time.

Upcomming:
    Eureka
    Star gate

Suggestions???

I hear Fringe is good. West Wing is great. Dr. Who is fan-TAST-ic. Fraiser is good for the background and watching Niles take it on the chin 9 years til he get his Moon-pie..
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

Sonofthor said:

Upcomming:
    Eureka
    Star gate

Suggestions???

I hear Fringe is good. West Wing is great. Dr. Who is fan-TAST-ic. Fraiser is good for the background and watching Niles take it on the chin 9 years til he get his Moon-pie..
    Fringe is good. I've just started watching it and am thoroughly enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    Netflix no longer has Avatar: The Last Airbender :(

They seem to have less and less new stuff every month :(
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Currently on the fourth season of Sliders. Boy, did this show take a turn for the worse!
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

Sonofthor said:

Upcomming:
    Eureka
    Star gate

Suggestions???

West Wing is good for 4 seasons, and then everyone on the show loses about 50 IQ points. If you haven't seen House of Cards yet, do so. I was amazed at how good it was.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I thought West Wing was terrific right through all seven seasons, even with Sorkin leaving halfway through.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

I thought West Wing was terrific right through all seven seasons, even with Sorkin leaving halfway through.

I tried to watch after he left...and just couldn't do it. I actually got mad at the show as Donna became STUPID and realized that I didn't need to watch it any more if I didn't like it. The good thing was, I hadn't watched Sports Night yet, so I had that to keep me company.

• Options
    kiwijase said:

Sonofthor said:

Upcomming:
    Eureka
    Star gate

Suggestions???

Fringe is good. I've just started watching it and am thoroughly enjoying it so far.
    My wife and I just finished the first season of Fringe. We both enjoyed it. Incidentally, for anyone streaming it on Netflix, apparently they have an episode in the wrong spot. One of the episodes from the middle of the second season is listed as the final episode of the first season. I only caught it because it seemed so odd to see another episode after I'd just watched what really felt like a season finale to me, and it turned out I was right.

We also watched Firefly for the first time last night, and enjoyed that as well. Now I see why fans were so sad to see it go. Although, after watching that first episode, I can't imagine how the series came across since the network decided to skip that one and air it later in the run. How on earth did anyone know what was going on?

We tried to watch the new season of Arrested Development. My wife didn't make it more than ten minutes in before losing interest. While I intend to watch it on my own, I have to admit something felt a little off about the whole thing.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Raising Hope. This show is absolute genius!
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Raising Hope. This show is absolute genius!

It is like the 1st two seasons of My Name is Earl
  • Options
    Season 5 of Breaking Bad has been added to streaming. Plan on re-watching these this week in preparation for the start of Season 6 on 8/11.
  • Options
    Avatar: The Last Airbender left Netflix, but it jumped over to Amazon Prime, so I've been able to pick up where I left off. \:D/
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Any one else give Continuum a spin? Two seasons currently available.

Time travel story - fugitives plus one cop get knocked 65 years into the past to 2012. Was the event orchestrated? Will events of 2012 change the future? Could Rachel Evans look any better in her super futuristic catsuit?

These questions and more on the next episode!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    just watched Cassanova with David Tannant and Peter O'Toole written by Russel T. Davies. It was a delight. I started it somewhat halfheartedly but was immediately sucked in.
  • Options
    I've been giving shows a second chance after giving up on the originally. Right now it's "Nikita" then it's either "Arrow" or "Fringe", probably Arrow because 100 episodes is a little daunting right now.
  • Options
    Currently watching the first season of The Clone Wars.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Because of the A-Team thread, I am now eight episodes into season one.