Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Geoff Johns & John Romita Jr To Take Over Superman?

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50692

I have to admit, this has me strongly, strongly tempted... I love JR JR's art, and the idea of his doing Superman has me very, very interested... but it's still the New52 with that Godawful armor costume...!

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50692

I have to admit, this has me strongly, strongly tempted... I love JR JR's art, and the idea of his doing Superman has me very, very interested... but it's still the New52 with that Godawful armor costume...!

And it's still Geoff Johns.

I'm not even slightly tempted.
  • Options
    I am surprised by JR JR's move to DC though...
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    And so DC finds yet another way to further alienate me.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    What is it that people like about JR JR's art?

Don't get me wrong, I love him on Kick-ass, but only because it's original, when he draws the Avengers it always looks off to me, at a quick glance and I usually say "why is kick-ass wearing a captain america uniform?"

I just wonder what the draw if for others here for him.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I am not great at describing visual art, but for me, I find his work energetic, distinctive, and I like that things feel big. I remember when he got away from looking more like his fathers work and into his own style. I forget what I read first, if it was his Daredevil or Uncanny X-Men. I was briefly turned off as what he was doing seemed different than what I expected these books to look like. But soon I was loving it, especially on DD, and I have loved his work ever since.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    The real question is will Bryan Deemer buy this title, he loves JR JR but HATES Superman as a character
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I like Jr Jr's older stuff, I was okay with his work on the Avengers until I saw a piece he did of the Watcher and that killed it for me. it was one of the worst renditions of the character I had ever seen from a professional artist and I could never look at his work the same way again.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

What is it that people don't like about his art?

How about most everything? His characters often look much too thick, his line work is usually too thin, his characters all have the same look - blocky at best. Most of the time it looks like the inker or colorist stepped in to cover up his laziness.

Did you see his last Captain America run? Awful. At best his work could be described serviceable, but to me it often simply appears as cartoonish with a bit of grit. Sort of a poor man's Frank Miller.

I haven't liked JRJr's work since he came on the scene. He is NOT his father. When he was aping his father's style back in the 80's, I enjoyed it, but now his work seems more impressionist than anything else.

Disclaimer: I also don't like Rob Liefeld's artwork, and happen to think JRJr is a better artist.

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I guess it's the faces they look very similar and not much expression.

Maybe that's it, like i said I like the art of Kick-Ass but when it's Avengers or something I have an idea of what it looks like his versions always pull me out of the story.
  • Options

JR JR has the kind of dynamic layouts that remind me of Kirby's work, without actually looking like Kirby. They're BIG and powerful and full of energy -- and they don't look like swipes from a photo morgue.

Faces are flat and boxy, bodies are unfinished geometric blocks and everyone looks like they're wearing some kind of Minecraft fashioned mittens. Finish linework is scratchy and poorly defined.

Layouts may be great, that's like having great breakdowns and poorly executed finished panels or taking the perfect photograph with exactly the right composition, it's out of focus (and the subject has been beaten to a barely recognizable pulp before the shutter opened).
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm just glad he's now drawing something I'm not reading.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm just glad he's now drawing something I'm not reading.

Agreed.

• Options
    I love how divisive JRJr's work is. Personally I love it for the same reasons pretty much everyone who like's his work does. It's dynamic and engergtic with good composition and page layout and great storytelling sense. But I can see how people don't like his figure work or facial stuff. I think it has a lot to do with what you think makes good sequential art.
  • Options
    Krescan said:

What is it that people like about JR JR's art?

Don't get me wrong, I love him on Kick-ass, but only because it's original, when he draws the Avengers it always looks off to me, at a quick glance and I usually say "why is kick-ass wearing a captain america uniform?"

I just wonder what the draw if for others here for him.

First and foremost, it’s his sense of storytelling. He’s great at pacing and moving the camera to get just the right angle, and it’s easy to follow what’s going on. His art has the dynamism and kinetic energy of Kirby and the weight and power of John Buscema.

Granted, JR is not the greatest illustrator, something he readily admits. He works best with an inker who knows how to draw—like Klaus Janson or Al Williamson. He’s far more interested in the storytelling than in making a pretty picture, and he’s developed many shortcuts in his penciling that, unfortunately, a lot of inkers don't seem to know how to interpret. Part of that may have come from the many years he spent doing breakdowns (breakdowns being similar to layouts, but with no blacks spotted for the inker), but I can’t say that for sure.

When paired with the wrong inker, the results can look a bit shoddy, yes, but you can never fault his storytelling. Personally, a poorly told story with exceptionally beautiful artwork is less likely to keep me reading than an exceptionally well told story with poorly inked artwork. I'm not saying JR hasn’t had a few duds now and then, but for the most part I find his work to be of a very high quality.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

JR JR has the kind of dynamic layouts that remind me of Kirby's work, without actually looking like Kirby. They're BIG and powerful and full of energy -- and they don't look like swipes from a photo morgue.

I personally LOVE JR JR, but I'm not a big fan of Supes, especially the Nu52 version, so I'm out.

I can understand why many readers are turned off by his artwork style. It reminds me of Kirby too, and I think that might be part of it. Kirby isn't for everyone... it took me YEARS to appreciate Kirby, I just couldn't get into the "blocky boxiness" of his style, and his female characters always looked like dudes in drag to me.

I remember enjoying JR JR's X-Men, but HATING his Daredevil. I think it was his run on IronMan where everything started to click with me.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Hex said:

I personally LOVE JR JR, but I'm not a big fan of Supes, especially the Nu52 version, so I'm out.

I can understand why many readers are turned off by his artwork style. It reminds me of Kirby too, and I think that might be part of it. Kirby isn't for everyone... it took me YEARS to appreciate Kirby, I just couldn't get into the "blocky boxiness" of his style, and his female characters always looked like dudes in drag to me.

I remember enjoying JR JR's X-Men, but HATING his Daredevil. I think it was his run on IronMan where everything started to click with me.
    I forgot about his Iron Man run. I think seeing his art on the cover might have been what got me reading Iron Man for the first time back then.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited February 2014

Did you see his last Captain America run? Awful.
    Frankly, I loved it. I thought it was the only worthwhile thing about that run, as I was really unimpressed with the story.

I haven't liked JRJr's work since he came on the scene. He is NOT his father.

I see that as a selling point, myself.

Disclaimer: I also don't like Rob Liefeld's artwork

No one likes Rob Liefeld.

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I usually like his artwork but over the last few years there has been an increasing amount of panels from him that look rushed. You look at them and think "Wow, that character's head looks WAY wrong." I remember hearing a somewhat recent podcast interview with him (maybe on Sidebar?) in which he stated that he used to scrutinize his artwork too much and now just generally goes with whatever he put on the page the first time. It's starting to show. :(

I liked his early '80s stuff. I know people think it's generic, but I think of it as classic Marvel. He developed a different style in his first X-Men run, and I LOVED it. He started to get blockier during Daredevil, and I liked most of that run but by the end of it I didn't like where his style ended up. People love DD: Man Without Fear, and while I certainly wouldn't say that the art is bad in that, it just felt a little lifeless to me. Ditto with his second (Uncanny) X-Men run in the early '90s. Technically good and I always *want* to like it, but I wish he would have dialed things back a bit. Too many little habits of his started to annoy me then. For example, how he always would draw women with big long jawbone/cheek lines on either side of their faces. Just, weird. Coming out of the '90s I think he perfected his blocky look. From '98 or whatever onwards, it always looks good to me... except when he rushes on faces and heads.
  • Options
    Hex said:

JRJR's return to Uncanny in the 90's was the trigger that caused me to drop X-men. Same thing with his run on Iron Man - at that point, I was solid back to around issue 80 and spotty back to issue 2. I honestly cannot think of another artist that evokes such a visceral reaction from me. Despite is probably not a strong enough word for it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    hauberk said:

JRJR's return to Uncanny in the 90's was the trigger that caused me to drop X-men. Same thing with his run on Iron Man - at that point, I was solid back to around issue 80 and spotty back to issue 2. I honestly cannot think of another artist that evokes such a visceral reaction from me. Despite is probably not a strong enough word for it.

I dropped X-Men too because of him and still won't pick up his back issues.

All of his characters seem to look the very same to me. Blocky, same dead expressions:

And none of his children look normal. They all look like dwarfs.

I realize art is relevant, but for me JRJr's style always takes me out of the story.

And to those who JRJr reminds them of Jack Kirby, to me there is little comparison...

Jack Kirby

John Romita Jr
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Elsiebub said:

I usually like his artwork but over the

last few years there has been an increasing amount of panels from him that look rushed. You look at them and think "Wow, that character's head looks WAY wrong." I remember hearing a somewhat recent podcast interview with him (maybe on Sidebar?) in which he stated that he used to scrutinize his artwork too much and now just generally goes with whatever he put on the page the first time. It's starting to show. :(

I liked his early '80s stuff. I know people think it's generic, but I think of it as classic Marvel. He developed a different style in his first X-Men run, and I LOVED it. He started to get blockier during Daredevil, and I liked most of that run but by the end of it I didn't like where his style ended up. People love DD: Man Without Fear, and while I certainly wouldn't say that the art is bad in that, it just felt a little lifeless to me. Ditto with his second (Uncanny) X-Men run in the early '90s. Technically good and I always *want* to like it, but I wish he would have dialed things back a bit. Too many little habits of his started to annoy me then. For example, how he always would draw women with big long jawbone/cheek lines on either side of their faces. Just, weird. Coming out of the '90s I think he perfected his blocky look. From '98 or whatever onwards, it always looks good to me... except when he rushes on faces and heads.

Excellent critique and I agree with much of it. His late 70's early 80's stuff defined the Marvel style. Look at his Iron Man and then Spiderman runs. But a few years later in Daredevil you could see the Kirby influence start to effect his line work. His recent stuff is just too much. I see it described as blocky and that seems right. Everyone is far too big. No graceful Spiderman. All that being said if he is going to DC Superman is the book. Big and blocky works.
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

He wasn’t doing full pencils in the early ’80s. JR didn’t start doing full pencils until his run on Daredevil with Ann Nocenti, which he started working on in late 1987. His style started to change toward the very end of his Spider-Man run just before going over to X-Men. I point to this cover as a turning point between the old, slicker look to the more graphic approach he uses now:

For me, the best thing he’s ever done was the first issue of Black Panther.

As for comparing JR to Kirby, no one is saying JR is Kirby. (At least, I'm not.) But look beyond the surface details, beyond the squiggles and Kirby krackle—and beyond the coloring of that JR FF page which is a terrible fit for the linework. Look at the structures of JR’s figures and the structures of Kirby’s figures, and you can see the Kirby influence in JR’s work.
  • Options

As for comparing JR to Kirby, no one is saying JR is Kirby. (At least, I'm not.) But look beyond the surface details, beyond the squiggles and Kirby krackle—and beyond the coloring of that JR FF page which is a terrible fit for the linework. Look at the structures of JR’s figures and the structures of Kirby’s figures, and you can see the Kirby influence in JR’s work.

Exactly my point.
  • Options

Elsiebub said:

He wasn’t doing full pencils in the early ’80s. JR didn’t start doing full pencils until his run on Daredevil with Ann Nocenti, which he started working on in late 1987. His style started to change toward the very end of his Spider-Man run just before going over to X-Men. I point to this cover as a turning point between the old, slicker look to the more graphic approach he uses now:

For me, the best thing he’s ever done was the first issue of Black Panther.

I suppose that I can see the influence. But just because he was influenced by him doesn't mean that he's been effective in turning that influence to something good.

I've also figured out, based on the images above, that I actually liked the stuff that he was doing that caused me to drop titles MORE than the stuff that he's doing today. The over-rendered colors and shading are really, really jarring (almost as jarring than the punches that broke every JRJR illustrated character's nose) when compared to his figures.

At the end of the day, you like what you like and don't like what you don't like. JRJR, for me, is the eternal dealbreaker. I honestly cannot think of a scenario where I would put down money to read a book that he was doing (watch as further detail comes out and the Johns/JRJR book turns out to be a Superman and the Legion book - it would be painful, but I honestly think that I would stick to my guns).
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I'm middle of the road on JRJR, I don't love his art, but I don't hate it either. It never drives me away from a book. I never understood the argument of "all of his faces look the same." I would say many popular artists have faces that look the same, like Mark Bagley and Frank Quitely both come to mind. I don't think it's a detriment, I think that's just how they draw people.
  • Options
    So it looks like about 38% of the people in this thread are fans of JRjr's art and/or looking forward to his Superman run.

54% of those responding in this thread are turned off by his art and/or uninterested in his upcoming Supes run.

8% may be fine either way about it.

And then there is @JamieD, who seemed neither here nor there.

I'm already on the record before about my disdain for JRJr's artwork, so this is no surprise. And to see people for or against him or his dad's work, may I recommend the A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome) thread?

Not to put down JRS, but, personally, I was never a big John Romita Sr fan. I remember losing a lot of interest in the Spider-Man book at the time after Ditko had left; I always felt that it looked like Peter Parker had put on about forty pounds of baby fat during Romita's run.

and that is exactly what I think of his son's work. Everyone looks too thick. Amazed that JRjr's fans here don't see it, but, the bottom line is that we each perceive things differently and there are many factors that contribute to our way of appreciating art forms. There are probably even a few Rob Liefeld fans still out there, somewhere. Art itself is relative.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I'm going tip the scales toward JRJR.

I love his work for all the reasons Mr. Nigel Weathington the Third said. JRJR tells a story well with art, even if he makes Hulk's face look like a green version of Cap. I also like Kirby and 90% of his faces look exactly the same. The thing is they can both tell a story with thier art and not just 22 pages of stiff beautifully drawn posters.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Personally, a poorly told story with exceptionally beautiful artwork is less likely to keep me reading than an exceptionally well told story with poorly inked artwork. I'm not saying JR hasn’t had a few duds now and then, but for the most part I find his work to be of a very high quality.

Amen.
  • Options
    I can't say that I necessarily objected to him on Daredevil (though I've never been a Daredevil guy so read very little of it) and thought that he was very appropriate for Punisher - but both are down in the mud street level books. In my mind, the Punisher and the mooks that he's taking out should all look like they went 10 rounds fighting up a couple of classes against the champ. His style is not, in my estimation, complimentary to a book that is supposed to be bright and shiny (as Superman should be).