Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New Ms. Marvel

Comments

• Options
    I really, really hope they avoid the temptation to make Doom female. He is too strong a character to change in such a fundamental way, just for the sake of the change. He deserves a faithful portrayal, one he has not yet gotten.

He needs to be tall, powerfully built, intimidating, magnetic, and eastern European. If he can act, I say throw Aleksandr Karelin in the armor and let him at it.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited February 2014
    Came in expecting to hate this comic, but I gotta confess, I loved it. I thought the character and her family were handled very tastefully. The idea that she's a fan girl and writes her own fan fiction (or "fan feec" as her mother pronounces it) was quite funny, and I thought you could really feel her "teen angst" coming through. I'm definitely prepared to continue with this one.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Digital sales are quite good, it would seem!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Ordered it through DCBS so I won't get to read it until my shipment arrives a couple weeks from now, but I thumbed through this at the shop today and it looked really good. Artwork was beautiful.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

Digital sales are quite good, it would seem!

Wow!! Great numbers for a highly publicized first issue of a new character!

(but who knew Germany, France, China, and Ireland were so non-supportive of diversity?)

;)
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I read #1 yesterday and really enjoyed it. I thought the main character of Kamala was very cool. She seems like any teenaged kid. Wanting to fit in at school and not tick of her parents too much. I like her. I'm a bit unclear as to how she gets her powers and why her hair becomes blonde after she transforms but I'm hoping to get some kind of revelation on that. Overall, this was a pretty good first issue and I'm looking forward to more issues of this.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I picked it up this weekend but haven't had a chance to sit down and read it, yet.
  • Options
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, and my apologies if it's been stated, but I believe she encountered the Terrigen Mists - which has interesting genealogical implications for at least one of her parents, and her super-devout brother.
  • Options
    Whirlwind said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, and my apologies if it's been stated, but I believe she encountered the Terrigen Mists - which has interesting genealogical implications for at least one of her parents, and her super-devout brother.

That's correct. The brother could be interesting as things move forward.

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    wasn't bad, I don't know how long it will last but it's got me hooked for the first arc at least

though i do miss carol danvers as ms marvel i don't like captain marvel when he's a guy or when he's carol

and i was just breezing through here noticing a few comments and problems with the comic

one of them was how the things they were saying is cliche, and yeah i guess it is but we, long running comic readers and "older" people, see it as cliche but a 15 year old girl might just see it as life*

I hope it does well

*all speculation I do not know life from the perspective of a 15 year old girl
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Looking at the sales for #1 (via The Beat) the new Ms. Marvel had a strong start, charting #24 in the Top 100 for January books:
    24. Ms. Marvel
    02/14 Ms. Marvel #1 - 50,286 ( --- )
    The new Ms. Marvel debuts with 50k in sales, plus all indicators suggest it did great digitally too. It’ll be interesting to see if it maintains decent numbers for issue 2. Keep in mind as well that this issue sold out and went to a second print so these numbers will get adjusted and be higher.
    Of course, time will tell, but given that (nearly all) books drop from their opening numbers, this book has a strong opening number to drop from.

My prediction? Contrary to a lot of the nay saying a few months ago when this was first announced, I expect it to go past #12. Maybe even past #20, we'll see.

• Options
    edited March 2014

My prediction? The allegedly under-chatted Sandman and the less than buzz-worthy Inhumanity will sell triple the numbers this new Ms Marvel does. Time will tell. This entire topic has long ago begun to bore me. Time to move on because until it hits the racks, this discussion is moot.

FWIW I am a strict adherent to using copious amounts of hyperbole when debating comic books.

Speaking of predictions--

Looking back to October, Sandman Overture #1 ended up at 103,668
    Looking back to December, Inhumanity #1 ended up at 77,519

So, not triple in either case. Sometimes buzz is not just buzz. Sometimes it does also lead to orders.

Not to mention direct sell-through via the digital charts for #1 and even topping a lot of International charts for Comixology sales for #2.

See you at #12 ;)

• Options
    edited March 2014
    That's interesting. Four major restarts for Marvel just came out: Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Punisher, and Ms Marvel and all started with new #1's. Since Marvel only prints whats ordered, they always sell out and have 2nd prints immediately. Ms Marvel had the most hype of the 4 and yet had the smallest order. Marvel debuted other titles with even smaller print runs, so these are the ones to watch out for if the public enjoys them.

FWIW I am a strict adherent to using copious amounts of hyperbole when debating comic books.

Perhaps "triple" was a bit hyperbolic. I'm wondering why I have already seen clearance sales for Ms. Marvel #1. Is that second print stock that's now being sold as clearance part of these early sales numbers?

My prediction may be off, but beyond 12 issues will be a win for any Marvel book these days so who am I to judge? This book is a bit out there (at least the first couple of issues seem to have been), we'll see if it has staying power.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

That's interesting. Four major restarts for Marvel just came out: Wolverine, Fantastic Four, Punisher, and Ms Marvel and all started with new #1's. Since Marvel only prints whats ordered, they always sell out and have 2nd prints immediately. Ms Marvel had the most hype of the 4 and yet had the smallest order. Marvel debuted other titles with even smaller print runs, so these are the ones to watch out for if the public enjoys them.

Yes, surely retailers knew that a Wolverine #1, Fantastic Four #1, and Punisher #1 would outsell a new version of Ms. Marvel in the direct market, regardless of hype. (Though it is, interesting to note that Ms. Marvel #1 beat Wolverine #1 on the digital charts the week they were both released. . . so maybe the hype ended up moving the needle even more for a different audience than the direct market retailers).

But I think it is remarkable for a Ms. Marvel book, even a much-hyped #1, to open at 50,000 and rank 24th. It beat out X-books, including an X-Force #1. It beat out Avengers books and Batbooks. It sold a few hundred less than New Avengers.

For a Ms. Marvel book.

Sure, the staying power remains to be seen. But let's be clear- that was an impressive debut, especially for a book like this, and with a creative team that don't carry the direct market weight of a lot of the creators this book ended up beating in the charts.
  • Options
    Yes. It was a lot of hype and it paid off. From what I can tell it is a hit with the people that bought it. Let's check in around issue 4 or 5 to see what it looks like then. In the meantime, my feeling is nonplus still. But I can agree that it is a good thing. Finally a book even that much desired demographic, teenage girls, can get behind! More girls reading comics isn't a bad thing at all and I hope every book Marvel puts out goes well beyond 12 issues. Doesn't mean I'll become a reader of it. I don't even think I've read 12 issues of Iron Man in the 35+ years I've been reading comics.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I was VERY pleasantly surprised by this book. I was completely oblivious to all the hype around this book - had no idea whatsoever what it was about - I just bought it reflexively as a #1. And I loved it!! Great characters, decent art. The book just feels very fresh. I'm certainly on board for the near future.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    While I'm hardly persuaded that you were "completely oblivious" to the hype surrounding this book (since you're a long time member of this forum and a customer of DCBS), I'm very happy you enjoyed the book and I always appreciate good hyperbole. Thanks.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    As I read #2 I realized that this origin story is going to take five issues to tell. Seems like it was drawn out more than #1. Still along for the ride. I was going to dump new print issues after Superior Spider-man but I will finish this arc and Superior Foes.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

While I'm hardly persuaded that you were "completely oblivious" to the hype surrounding this book (since you're a long time member of this forum and a customer of DCBS), I'm very happy you enjoyed the book and I always appreciate good hyperbole. Thanks.

Lenny posts about once a month.

And even DCBS can't pack much hype onto one line of a spreadsheet.

Knowing him, and his being a longtime poster, I am persuaded to take him at his word.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    How persuasive. So I guess Lenny is more of a speculator than a comic book news reader. For what it's worth, his average is around 17-18 a month, but that's likely not a true average as I haven't seen many of his posts in recent months.

So okay. You may continue to swiftly defend your position of how wrong I must be about this book, but I refuse to walk back my comments about how happy I am that you men enjoyed the new Ms. Marvel book!! :)

I also don't read My Little Pony. I just don't follow every trend. But you might feel persuaded to prove how well that property is doing, even with guys. All I can say is that my 13 year old daughter likes it okay. So if it's good for comics, who am I to dissent?
  • Options

How persuasive. So I guess Lenny is more of a speculator than a comic book news reader. For what it's worth, his average is around 17-18 a month, but that's likely not a true average as I haven't seen many of his posts in recent months.

So okay. You may continue to swiftly defend your position of how wrong I must be about this book, but I refuse to walk back my comments about how happy I am that you men enjoyed the new Ms. Marvel book!! :)

I also don't read My Little Pony. I just don't follow every trend. But you might feel persuaded to prove how well that property is doing, even with guys. All I can say is that my 13 year old daughter likes it okay. So if it's good for comics, who am I to dissent?

I can smell the testosterone from here.
  • Options
    That may be the Bradford Pear trees. I understand the pollen count is pretty high today.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

My point is that there is no margin in suggesting that Lenny is faking his lack of knowing about the buzz around the book. And doubting him is ridiculous. What would he possibly have to gain by it?

Dissent all you want. Just don't imply others are dishonest. It's shitty behavior. And it doesn't move a discussion forward. That's all.
  • Options
    Lighten up David. If I can be silly, you can at least try not to take the discussion so seriously. It doesn't do much to move the discussion forward either. Would you have felt better if a) I had been defensive or abrasive in my response or b) if I had praised your efforts to straighten me out on this Ms. Marvel book? Again, I am non-plus about it.

Nothing I stated was factually in error, although my suppositions may have been off, I wouldn't call them "ridiculous" nor did any of them imply ill-will. Just stating the obvious, circumstantial evidence to the contrary.

If Lenny missed all the hype, he is an anomaly. If the book is on your pull list, who am I to dismiss it? Will you only be satisfied when I agree with you or leave this thread? What is it you want exactly?
  • Options
    @bralinator‌ it is as simple as I said before- take people at their word and don't imply they are being dishonest.
  • Options

If Lenny missed all the hype, he is an anomaly.

You didn't call him an anomaly before, you questioned his honesty.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    WetRats said:

You didn't call him an anomaly before, you questioned his honesty.

Wouldn't say I questioned it. Just doubted it. Is skepticism an unsavory trait now? Plus, I adjusted my position. My doubt was quelled. Is that a reason to start tag-team debating me about it now? Sheesh.

I stand by every word of what I said. Nothing mean or heavy handed there. It was an honest response and I even took the time to explain it when challenged in the next response. Sorry that I didn't find it persuasive. This is a forum after all where one of the most popular threads is titled "Two truths and a lie". Give me a break.

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited March 2014

I'm wondering why I have already seen clearance sales for Ms. Marvel #1. Is that second print stock that's now being sold as clearance part of these early sales numbers?

Some retailers are extremely interested in getting incentive variant cover editions, so they order way more than they can actually sell in order to get these editions, which they know (based on their customer base) they can jack up to $10-$50 and sell.

Other retailers only order what they think they can sell, and sometimes they underestimate. These are the retailers for whom the 2nd printings are made.

Ms. Marvel #1 had three variants, including a 1:100 black and white variant. That means there are surely some comic shops out there with dozens and dozens and dozens more copies than they could sell at full price to their customer base. Lone Star Comics was selling this edition at $55, and they sold out.

Ms. Marvel #2 has a 1:50 variant. Keep that in mind when the sales numbers come out.

This sort of situation has been happening a lot in recent years. There were even stories last year about how some retailers had sold out of Superman Unchained #1, making it a "hot back issue" in certain parts of the country, while other retailers were basically giving away copies or discounting them to 25 cents. The latter situation happened at shops that ordered way more of the regular edition than they knew they could sell, because they wanted a few variants.

• Options
    Elsiebub said:

I'm wondering why I have already seen clearance sales for Ms. Marvel #1. Is that second print stock that's now being sold as clearance part of these early sales numbers?

Some retailers are extremely interested in getting incentive variant cover editions, so they order way more than they can actually sell in order to get these editions, which they know (based on their customer base) they can jack up to $10-$50 and sell.

Other retailers only order what they think they can sell, and sometimes they underestimate. These are the retailers for whom the 2nd printings are made.

Ms. Marvel #1 had three variants, including a 1:100 black and white variant. That means there are surely some comic shops out there with dozens and dozens and dozens more copies than they could sell at full price to their customer base. Lone Star Comics was selling this edition at $55, and they sold out.

Ms. Marvel #2 has a 1:50 variant. Keep that in mind when the sales numbers come out.

This sort of situation has been happening a lot in recent years. There were even stories last year about how some retailers had sold out of Superman Unchained #1, making it a "hot back issue" in certain parts of the country, while other retailers were basically giving away copies or discounting them to 25 cents. The latter situation happened at shops that ordered way more of the regular edition than they knew they could sell, because they wanted a few variants.

Thanks @Elsiebub for that thorough and enlightening answer. I must be an anomaly as well since it completely slipped by me that there were variant covers for the new Ms Marvel book. Not that I'm surprised by it, just didn't even consider it. Your analysis makes perfect sense.

Thank for moving the discussion forward too.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Elsiebub said:

And I think those are good things to keep in mind when looking at numbers. But there are a lot of other titles further down the list that also had variants. So MM 1 beating those still shows performance, even with variants being kept in mind.

Edit- it is also what makes the digital sales charts so interesting, as it entirely leaves out things that affect the Diamond Top 300, like variants, discounts or periods of returnability from the publisher; and a digital sale has nothing to do with collecting or resale. It is a pure desire to read the book.