Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New Ms. Marvel

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I know Mile High were giving away some of the variant Ms. Marvel #1 covers for free with a paid order over a certain amount. I know this because I got one! :)

IIRC, the rationale was that they'd ordered too many, so they offered it as a freebie.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited March 2014
    To be fair, I think @Elsiebub answered my question of why I had seen Ms Marvel in the clearance sales already. Not sure anyone responded better to whether or not those clearance books were part of the sales numbers you quoted @David_D‌

And with the emphasis on digital sales, since every FIRST ISSUE bearing the All New Marvel NOW! branding includes a code for a free digital copy do we know if those digital numbers are straight purchases, freebies, or a combination of both?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited March 2014

To be fair, I think @Elsiebub answered my question of why I had seen Ms Marvel in the clearance sales already. Not sure anyone responded better to whether or not those clearance books were part of the sales numbers you quoted @David_D‌

And with the emphasis on digital sales, since every FIRST ISSUE bearing the All New Marvel NOW! branding includes a code for a free digital copy do we know if those digital numbers are straight purchases, freebies, or a combination of both?

Those are sales, as reported by Comixology. The redeemed codes are done directly through Marvel via a Marvel.com account. They are not counted as Comixology sales.
  • Options
    Hmm. Okay. I've always just done mine through Comixology, but I admit I haven't done it at all this year so it may have changed since then or my recall is off.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I would be interested to see the sales numbers of new Ms. Marvel #1 vs. the recently relaunched She-Hulk #1. Not much hype for Shulkie, as this is her 4th (5th?) kick at her own series. Which of Marvel's female titles will last the longest? I betting on She-Hulk, purely on the inclusion of Hellcat within those pages (who deserves her own title).
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Hmm. Okay. I've always just done mine through Comixology, but I admit I haven't done it at all this year so it may have changed since then or my recall is off.

From the beginning the free Marvel codes could only be redeemed at Marvel.com. They read like Comixology purchases, so the reading experience is similar, but they are not Comixology sales, so I wouldn't imagine they are counted as such.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hex said:

I would be interested to see the sales numbers of new Ms. Marvel #1 vs. the recently relaunched She-Hulk #1. Not much hype for Shulkie, as this is her 4th (5th?) kick at her own series. Which of Marvel's female titles will last the longest? I betting on She-Hulk, purely on the inclusion of Hellcat within those pages (who deserves her own title).

She Hulk (which also had multiple variants) was #36 on the chart, with about 42,000 in sales.

You can find the Top 300 list here:
    http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28148.html
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited March 2014
    David_D said:

You can find the Top 300 list here:
    http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28148.html

Thanks David!

New comer Ms. Marvel is off to a strong start;
    #24 MS MARVEL #1 = 50,286
    #36 SHE-HULK #1 = 41,894

Can she keep it up? Can either?

Nice to see New Warriors off to a decent start as well;
    #30 NEW WARRIORS #1 = 45,765
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

WetRats said:

You didn't call him an anomaly before, you questioned his honesty.

Wouldn't say I questioned it. Just doubted it. Is skepticism an unsavory trait now? Plus, I adjusted my position. My doubt was quelled. Is that a reason to start tag-team debating me about it now? Sheesh.
    Sheesh indeed.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited March 2014
    Now he's calling out Lenny? This dude. 8-}

I question people's hard on over a book they aren't reading or have some kind of invested interest in its failure over people who gave it (and are giving it) a chance.
  • Options
    Since @Peter already maxed out the race card over the black Johnny Storm debate, if he still needs to make me into a villain in order to feel superior, at least he could try to get my "origins and motivations" squared away first. Witty emoticon responses notwithstanding, I hope he'll try to be more tolerant of people that don't agree with him in the future. I'm not hopeful though since I rarely see him engage in many civil, supportive, thoughtful discussions here, but I admit I haven't been reading every post either.

Yes. It was a lot of hype and it paid off. From what I can tell it is a hit with the people that bought it. Let's check in around issue 4 or 5 to see what it looks like then. In the meantime, my feeling is nonplus still. But I can agree that it is a good thing. Finally a book even that much desired demographic, teenage girls, can get behind! More girls reading comics isn't a bad thing at all and I hope every book Marvel puts out goes well beyond 12 issues. Doesn't mean I'll become a reader of it. I don't even think I've read 12 issues of Iron Man in the 35+ years I've been reading comics.

So @Peter sees a "hard on" in that sort of comment? Wow. Just wow. I haven't had anything further to say about Ms. Marvel until this morning when I was "called out" because I figured that two other titles would do 3x the numbers and they only did around double the numbers of this book. I responded in a positive, yet perhaps cheeky way. Then again, I rarely get excited about #1 issue sales numbers. Different strokes I suppose.

So who exactly is invested in the Ms. Marvel book's failure? Seems like either @David_D is the one "invested" in the book or has a "hard on" for it since he bothered to revive a dead post to promote its stellar sales and posted again to pull my quote from 6 weeks ago where I didn't think it would sell as many issues as it did. So that's the new threshold for hoping a book will fail? I see.

And as far as Lenny goes, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, but I don't think my comment suggested anything other than astonishment that he had somehow missed all of the hype about this book. If he was offended, he is welcome to mention it. It was never meant to become a divisive issue. Yet from my perspective, the fact that every media outlet from Previews, BleedingCool, USA Today, NY Times, CNN, Conan O'Brien and hundreds of others were buzzing about this book for months made the hype extremely hard to miss for any comics fan. And for a guy with as many posts, who's a fan of CGS, and is apparently a buddy of so many of you didn't strike me as a fan that would easily miss the marketing machinations of mighty Marvel very often, but who am I to judge? I was merely expressing doubt.

@David_D challenging my response as demonstrative of "shitty behavior" surprised me, but I took it in stride and didn't bother to mention it then. In fact, I haven't felt at all perturbed by the small gang that's disagreed with me on this thread because I haven't been cheering for Ms. Marvel from the beginning. Not perturbed that is, until these last couple of posts on this thread. That's really about all I have to say about Ms. Marvel, but I may check back in on this thread around issue #6 to see if everyone is still "pumped" about the numbers. Until then, enjoy your comics!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Dug the hell out of #2. I continue to enjoy Kamala, and starting to see the full extent of her powers is cool... looks like she can do a lot more than just the stretching limbs and giant fists we saw in the preview images. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Dug the hell out of #2. I continue to enjoy Kamala, and starting to see the full extent of her powers is cool... looks like she can do a lot more than just the stretching limbs and giant fists we saw in the preview images. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Did i hear that is was some straight up shapeshifter stuff?
  • Options
    random73 said:

I won't spoil anything, but her body modification/adaptation powers appear to be greater than advertised.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

random73 said:

I won't spoil anything, but her body modification/adaptation powers appear to be greater than advertised.
    okay, that could be cool.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Okay that makes since about the body-shifting as to keep her secret identity. I wonder what she is going to do to sneak out of the house?
  • Options
    #2 didn't grab me as much as #1, but this one is still a "must read" for me for awhile. The family dynamic in particular is great. Would love to see that expanded on in upcoming issues.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    As long as she doesn't turn out to be a Skrull. :)

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    My only complaint is that it's written at a slower pace than I would like. The first issue set up the situation, the supporting characters and gave us a rich world for the series to be set in, but didn't bring in the superhero stuff until the VERY end. Still, I like the character, the art style is interesting and I am looking forward to more.

And I don't think there is a way on the planet I could give less of a damn about how well it sold. ^_^
  • Options
    It's called "writing for the trades" and it is slow. Why not a great "one & done" with a little cliffhanger or tease of the next issue? It is beginning to become a tiresome strategy that all Marvel and DC and many Image books seem to be taking in recent years...
  • Options
    For those who are enjoying the new Ms. Marvel, and I am, even more than I expected to, the sales for #3 (as well as re-orders for #1 and #2) show it holding strong. And that is just for the print copies (there has been reporting that it also does very well digitally).

It is early yet, things could change, but with a strong opening and having not experienced a big drop, I would guess this title is going to be around awhile. Here is analysis from The Beat:
    55. Ms. Marvel
    02/14 Ms. Marvel #1 - 50,286 ( --- ) [5,374]
    03/14 Ms. Marvel #2 - 38,357 (-23.7%) [3,440]
    04/14 Ms. Marvel #3 - 37,140 ( -3.2%)
    So Ms. Marvel is a huge success for Marvel, not only was the issue 2 sales drop very small, but the issue 3 sales drop was only around 1000 copies, and there were strong re-orders on issue 1 and 2. I would not be surprised if issue 4 and 5 see a sales increase. Perhaps, there is a benefit to introducing exciting new diverse and well-realized characters to your aging roster.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    It's quirky. I like quirky.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    I honestly believed this would go the way of all new character series and be done at 8 however I'm pleased it is still selling. More comic sales on new characters means Marvel may consider doing it more. I'm not reading or buying the book, but if people are digging it good for them.
  • Options
    I have really enjoyed it so far. I like that it's a familiar Marvel formula (teenager gets powers, hijinx and problems ensue) but that it still feels like a fresh take on that. Tropes become tropes because they work, but that doesn't mean they have to feel tired.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
  • Options
    spid said:

I thought this was interesting the book sales more digitally than physical copies.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/28/ms-marvel-1-and-the-rest-have-sold-more-in-digital-than-the-rest/

And that is likely a sign that this book- perhaps aided by the press and Internet attention around it- succeeded in finding an audience outside of the usual direct market buyers.

Which is to say, a new audience. An expanded audience, which was the point.

(Also, as someone who buys it on paper in the funnybook store, I would add that it helps that it is a great book)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I bought issue one digitally to give it a shot, and while it isn't my cup of tea, I'm excited to hear about this and hope digital comics continue to reach beyoned the normal comic buying audience.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    I know I've been critical of the way Marvel launched this series and had my doubts about how long the series would last, but I'm glad it seems to be doing well. I have nothing invested in the series (it didn't interest me), but I'm never against Marvel trying something new. I hope it sells really well and has a million readers; that just means there are more people buying comics.

Just because I don't like a series, or character, or in this case the way a book may have been promoted does not mean I want it to fail. I don't read the XMen or Avengers, but Wolverine and Hawkeye help to keep Ghost Rider and She Hulk on the stands.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I have read every issue and thought that each one was better than the last. I especially loved issue 6 where Kamala teams up with Wolverine. It's a great title. It's about a girl who is trying to figure things out and suddenly she gets powers. I also love the fact that she is a fangirl and again, the team-up with Wolverine was hilarious. Ms. Marvel is a series with great art, great characters and an amazing story. If you haven't checked it out, I would implore you to try it.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763

It's quirky. I like quirky.

Still quirky, so I'm still in.