Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New Ms. Marvel

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2013

It isn't really her religion being a gimmicky thing, or even the mention of it-- it's the promotion of it as though it were the main reason for her book or character that's annoying. It's a part of her, and not the other way around, unless they're actually promoting a comic about The Power Of Islam.

I think you might be blurring the line between the promotion that Marvel is actually doing, and what the press is choosing to pick up on.

If Marvel were running a "look at how Muslim-American she is!" ad, then I would agree. But it wasn't even the headline or in the lead of their press release, and her background is only one element of the many things described about the character.

Now, of course, the press that pick up on this will choose their own headline, lead, and what they focus on based on their own needs, and what they know will get their readers buzzing and commenting. But that's the game, isn't it.

Still, though, for anyone that is interested to judge for themselves, in context, and maybe see some of the quotes and details that most media outlets were not interested in including-- here is how Marvel presented this in the first press release they sent first thing Wednesday morning:
    MARVEL COMICS TO LAUNCH THE ALL-NEW MS. MARVEL

New Super Hero to Be Introduced This January in All-New Marvel NOW! Point One Comic, With Monthly

Ms. Marvel Series to Debut in February

New York, NY (November 6, 2013) -- This coming January, Marvel Comics will continue to break new ground in its rich storytelling history as it launches the new monthly Ms. Marvel debuting as part of the Company’s popular All-New Marvel NOW! initiative. The All-New Marvel NOW! Launch provides readers and fans with accessible stories of their favorite characters, and in the case of Ms. Marvel, stunning new characters to delve into and explore. The All-New Ms. Marvel will be introduced in January in a special All-New Marvel NOW! Point One Comic Book in advance of the Marvel NOW! Ms. Marvel dedicated series in February 2014.

Ms. Marvel will center on 16-year-old Kamala Khan, a Muslim-American teenager living in Jersey City, New Jersey. Like any teenager, all of her opportunities are in front her and she is full of potential, but her parents’ high expectations come with tons of pressure and has led Kamala to carve out a future that she has little interest in.

"At her core, Kamala is just a 16-year-old girl, exploring the many facets of her identity when she is suddenly bestowed with super-human powers that send her on the adventure of a lifetime,” says Marvel Comics Editor In Chief Axel Alonso.

The series, and its central character, are brought to life by an all-star creative team, led by acclaimed novelist and multi-Eisner nominee, G. Willow Wilson (Air, Mystic, Alif The Unseen). Her writings about modern religion have appeared in such outlets as New York Times’ Magazine and The Atlantic. Critically-acclaimed artist Adrian Alphona (Runaways, Uncanny X-Force) brings his vivid artistry to the project capturing the vibrantly rich and kinetic world in which Kamala lives.

Series editor, Sana Amanat, states, “The inspiration for the new Ms. Marvel series stemmed out of a desire to explore the Muslim-American diaspora from an authentic perspective and yet, this story isn’t about what it means to be a Muslim, Pakistani or American. Those are just cultural touchstones that reflect the ever changing world we live in today. This is ultimately a tale about what it means to be young, lost amidst the expectations bestowed upon you, and what happens when you get to choose.”

Writer, G. Willow Wilson, “I wanted Ms. Marvel to be true-to-life, something real people could relate to, particularly young women. High school was a very vivid time in my life, so I drew heavily on those experiences--impending adulthood, dealing with school, emotionally charged friendships that are such a huge part of being a teenager.” Willow continues, “It's for all the geek girls out there, and everybody else who's ever looked at life from the fringe.”

Every FIRST ISSUE bearing the All New Marvel NOW! branding includes a code for a free digital copy of that same comic on the Marvel Comics app for iOS and Android devices.

Once again, the biggest creators bring you the biggest characters in the biggest stories…and it’s happening NOW!

Ms. Marvel #1 blasts off this February! For more on Ms. Marvel & All-New Marvel NOW!, please visit now.marvel.com and join in the conversation on Twitter with hashtag #MsMarvel.

About Marvel Entertainment, LLC

Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world’s most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of more than 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing. For more information, visit marvel.com.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Wow.

Marvel sure has better press flacks than DC.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    RickM said:

Personally, it seems more realistic to have a few characters who dabble in the same religions that are embraced by billions of people; I always thought it was odd that in a highly religious nation like the U.S., the vast majority of characters never invoke God, attend church, pray, etc. Kurt Wagner, who's not even American, seemed like the only one who ever did.

Unfortunately that's not "mainstream" enough anymore, although many comic writers unabashedly let their characters invoke God during the silver and bronze age. Maybe this Ms. Marvel will actually make a trip to mecca?

It isn't really her religion being a gimmicky thing, or even the mention of it-- it's the promotion of it as though it were the main reason for her book or character that's annoying. It's a part of her, and not the other way around, unless they're actually promoting a comic about The Power Of Islam.

Sort of what I've been saying all along. Although in all fairness, a Muslim-American girl who dresses up in tights is not likely going to be a strict adherent of Islam. Although that might be an interesting angle. Maybe it will bring out the Christian tendencies in some of the regular Marvel universe characters.

Maybe the press is doing the usual sensationalism, sure, but Marvel knows what it's doing and it knew the Muslim angle was going to get play, or they at least hoped it would.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    David_D said:

I think you might be blurring the line between the promotion that Marvel is actually doing, and what the press is choosing to pick up on.

If Marvel were running a "look at how Muslim-American she is!" ad, then I would agree. But it wasn't even the headline or in the lead of their press release, and her background is only one element of the many things described about the character.

Now, of course, the press that pick up on this will choose their own headline, lead, and what they focus on based on their own needs, and what they know will get their readers buzzing and commenting. But that's the game, isn't it.

Still, though, for anyone that is interested to judge for themselves, in context, and maybe see some of the quotes and details that most media outlets were not interested in including-- here is how Marvel presented this in the first press release they sent first thing Wednesday morning:

New Super Hero to Be Introduced This January in All-New Marvel NOW! Point One Comic, With Monthly

New York, NY (November 6, 2013) -- This coming January, Marvel Comics will continue to break new ground in its rich storytelling history as it launches the new monthly Ms. Marvel debuting as part of the Company’s popular All-New Marvel NOW! initiative. The All-New Marvel NOW! Launch provides readers and fans with accessible stories of their favorite characters, and in the case of Ms. Marvel, stunning new characters to delve into and explore. The All-New Ms. Marvel will be introduced in January in a special All-New Marvel NOW! Point One Comic Book in advance of the Marvel NOW! Ms. Marvel dedicated series in February 2014.

Ms. Marvel will center on 16-year-old Kamala Khan, a Muslim-American teenager living in Jersey City, New Jersey. Like any teenager, all of her opportunities are in front her and she is full of potential, but her parents’ high expectations come with tons of pressure and has led Kamala to carve out a future that she has little interest in.

"At her core, Kamala is just a 16-year-old girl, exploring the many facets of her identity when she is suddenly bestowed with super-human powers that send her on the adventure of a lifetime,” says Marvel Comics Editor In Chief Axel Alonso.

The series, and its central character, are brought to life by an all-star creative team, led by acclaimed novelist and multi-Eisner nominee, G. Willow Wilson (Air, Mystic, Alif The Unseen). Her writings about modern religion have appeared in such outlets as New York Times’ Magazine and The Atlantic. Critically-acclaimed artist Adrian Alphona (Runaways, Uncanny X-Force) brings his vivid artistry to the project capturing the vibrantly rich and kinetic world in which Kamala lives.

Series editor, Sana Amanat, states, “The inspiration for the new Ms. Marvel series stemmed out of a desire to explore the Muslim-American diaspora from an authentic perspective and yet, this story isn’t about what it means to be a Muslim, Pakistani or American. Those are just cultural touchstones that reflect the ever changing world we live in today. This is ultimately a tale about what it means to be young, lost amidst the expectations bestowed upon you, and what happens when you get to choose.”

Writer, G. Willow Wilson, “I wanted Ms. Marvel to be true-to-life, something real people could relate to, particularly young women. High school was a very vivid time in my life, so I drew heavily on those experiences--impending adulthood, dealing with school, emotionally charged friendships that are such a huge part of being a teenager.” Willow continues, “It's for all the geek girls out there, and everybody else who's ever looked at life from the fringe.”

Every FIRST ISSUE bearing the All New Marvel NOW! branding includes a code for a free digital copy of that same comic on the Marvel Comics app for iOS and Android devices.

Once again, the biggest creators bring you the biggest characters in the biggest stories…and it’s happening NOW!

Ms. Marvel #1 blasts off this February! For more on Ms. Marvel & All-New Marvel NOW!, please visit now.marvel.com and join in the conversation on Twitter with hashtag #MsMarvel.

Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world’s most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of more than 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing. For more information, visit marvel.com.
    Wow, now I know I won't be reading it...a 16 year old hero doesn't interest me at all.

Truth be told, I can't imagine her religious beliefs are really going to be in abundance in the comic. That would be handicapping a new title & hero that's going to have to climb uphill to get a following consistent enough to have longevity; as most new titles & heroes do nowadays. Plus, if she's quoting from the Koran, stopping to pray toward Mecca, etc every issue you might pick up an Islamic reader or two, but you'll also alienate a larger non-Islamic audience.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

David_D said:

Truth be told, I can't imagine her religious beliefs are really going to be in abundance in the comic. That would be handicapping a new title & hero that's going to have to climb uphill to get a following consistent enough to have longevity; as most new titles & heroes do nowadays. Plus, if she's quoting from the Koran, stopping to pray toward Mecca, etc every issue you might pick up an Islamic reader or two, but you'll also alienate a larger non-Islamic audience.

M

Agreed. That is even made clear in some of the quotes in the original press release. They make a point of saying (as if to reassure readers having some of the concerns we've heard in this conversation) that the religion of the character will not be the only thing that defines her. And the press release seems to go to lengths to talk about what is relatable about her. And, frankly, very Marvel Universe about her. The description of her character as a teenager trying to find herself, having some growing pains with her family, friends, dating, high school, etc. etc. I mean, you could introduce Peter Parker with a lot of the same text (minus a couple words).

But I think Marvel is smart enough to know what sort of skepticism this book will be up against. And therefore they will focus more on what makes the character relatable.

• Options
    Matt said:

...if she's quoting from the Koran, stopping to pray toward Mecca, etc every issue you might pick up an Islamic reader or two, but you'll also alienate a larger non-Islamic audience.

Which is exactly why I am against promoting the ethnicity in the first place. Let it be revealed in the story to be a part of her, and let's get to the story and the heroics.
    David_D said:

I think Marvel is smart enough to know what sort of skepticism this book will be up against. And therefore they will focus more on what makes the character relatable.

They may have already begun focusing on the wrong thing then, but I've said my peace about this. I however do not demonstrate the same inordinate amount of faith in the abundant brilliance of Marvel, but if you're right, only time will tell.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Matt said:

...if she's quoting from the Koran, stopping to pray toward Mecca, etc every issue you might pick up an Islamic reader or two, but you'll also alienate a larger non-Islamic audience.

Which is exactly why I am against promoting the ethnicity in the first place. Let it be revealed in the story to be a part of her, and let's get to the story and the heroics.
    David_D said:

I think Marvel is smart enough to know what sort of skepticism this book will be up against. And therefore they will focus more on what makes the character relatable.

They may have already begun focusing on the wrong thing then, but I've said my peace about this. I however do not demonstrate the same inordinate amount of faith in the abundant brilliance of Marvel, but if you're right, only time will tell.
    'Inordinate faith in the abundant brilliance of Marvel'? Come on. Those are some more exaggerated words in my mouth. What I actually suggested is that they are smart enough to not step directly into a trap. Smart enough to not make a book that would end up being exactly the sort of thing detractors and skeptics would expect. Especially for those that might cruise the first issue just looking for them to overplay the identity politics. I don't know that they are abundantly brilliant, but I think they are smart enough to not create a work of self-parody.

But I will also compliment their smarts this way: when was the last time the announcement of a new book got this must talk, especially around here? Not a comic movie or TV show. An actual comic?

Heck. Some even more heavily promoted books from A list talent like Inhumanity have got barely a peep. A new Sandman book came out and barely got noticed. There is very littly talk about DC's current big event book. Most of the next wave Marvel Now books get announced and people aren't even interested in starting a thread on them. This book has got this amount of talk going, here, and even in the mainstream. Some might feel that the interest is not for what they want to be interested in, and that's fair. But it is still interest. People are now aware that this book is coming, and that awareness has spiked in the time when retailers can now place orders accordingly. Will the book be any good? Who knows. We know that as little as we know that about any other new books that are coming in February.

But the difference, is that we are now aware this book is coming, to then be good or not good. People might actually seek out a book and give it a try, so that they can actually experience the story and the heroics. You know what I mean? It is hard for people to judge the work if they don't even know about a book to read it in the first place.

I mean, this is Marvel Comics. I feel like Stan Lee himself, that old huckster, would be proud.
  • Options
    My prediction? The allegedly under-chatted Sandman and the less than buzz-worthy Inhumanity will sell triple the numbers this new Ms Marvel does. Time will tell. This entire topic has long ago begun to bore me. Time to move on because until it hits the racks, this discussion is moot.

FWIW I am a strict adherent to using copious amounts of hyperbole when debating comic books.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

My prediction? The allegedly under-chatted Sandman and the less than buzz-worthy Inhumanity will sell triple the numbers this new Ms Marvel does. Time will tell. This entire topic has long ago begun to bore me. Time to move on because until it hits the racks, this discussion is moot.

FWIW I am a strict adherent to using copious amounts of hyperbole when debating comic books.

You are bored and have moved on, so I guess this response is not for you, but for those of us still interested in this moot discussion--

There are more indicators of success, and more things to strive for, then just the monthly sale. Yes, Sandman Prelude and Inhumanity, will pop bigger numbers. They have bigger names on them. They are drawing from more popular characters and ideas.

But the fact that stories about Ms. Marvel hit the mainstream, and that a book like this might end up getting the interest of someone that maybe hasn't read a comic before? Or hasn't read one in a long time? That is a move that potentially pays dividends beyond that first sale. Sure, selling more Sandman and more Fraction/Copiel comics to people that already dig Sandman, Fraction, and Copiel? That is something, too. But taking a risk on something that might bring in new readers? And maybe some different readers than who you have? That is good for comics. All the stories this week that reminded people that there are comics? That is good for comics. Just like Ultimate Spider-Man was good for comics, even though I am sure there were plenty of steeped-in-continuity books that beat it that month.

Inhumanity and Sandman will sell more, but it didn't get on TV last week. They didn't do anything for comics outside of comics. (At least, not that I noticed.) So I think the sales numbers will not end up telling the whole story.
  • Options
    David_D said:

A new Sandman book came out and barely got noticed.

I dunno about that. My Twitter feed has been lit up all the last couple of weeks with chatter about the book... that and Gaiman's novel and latest children's book... along with links to interviews on TV and in the press. I'd say it got noticed.

(It was also his birthday yesterday.)

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    There is no such thing as bad press. I posted this like because I like the Carol Danvers character and thought a new Ms. Marvel might be interesting although probably wouldn't last much longer than the newest Ghost Rider did. I expected the thread to get maybe 4-5 comments then die. I certainly didn't expect this level of debate. As for the book I probably would have flipped through it in my local comic shop shrugged and put it back on the rack. If the art really grabbed me I might pick it up. Although I confess the "body morphing power" looks a little silly in the images I've seen so far. I'm rambling a bit here.
  • Options
    random73 said:

If the art really grabbed me I might pick it up. Although I confess the "body morphing power" looks a little silly in the images I've seen so far.

Indeed.
  • Options

random73 said:

If the art really grabbed me I might pick it up. Although I confess the "body morphing power" looks a little silly in the images I've seen so far.

Indeed.
    Actually seeing that image of her in context, I really like the art. It has a European look to it that I dig.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    The art looks great to me-- Adrian Alphona was fantastic on Runaways. Glad he is back doing comics. Not sure if the color art is by him or someone else, but that is great color artistry, and I agree with @playdohsrepublic that it has a European look (as did his work on Runaways).

As for whether her power looks silly-- I guess it depends on whether you think Mr. Fantastic looks silly. If so, then his silly power is one of the ones that founded the Marvel Universe; and it looks similar to Venom, one of the most popular additions to the Marvel Universe in the last 25 years. So she is in good company.
  • Options
    Not only do I think it looks silly, because it does, much like Mr. Fantastic has looked silly in some of his appearances, but I will also predict they're going to write it from a comedic standpoint, à la "Sensational She-Hulk" another Fantastic Four reference. This can only lead me to conclude that the CGS crew needs a Fantastic Four Spotlight to kick off a Marvel Cosmic Spotlight series. That's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Reminds me of Meteor Man from the old Galaxy Trio toons.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    It's a funky power.

It should be portrayed funkily.

That sample art only makes me want to read it more now.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Definitely not the most original powers, but oh well.... I guess there needed to be a girl counterpart to these guys...

So I guess she fits in nicely

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Is it a stretchy-power? That wasn't the impression I got.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    rebis said:

Reminds me of Meteor Man from the old Galaxy Trio toons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHD0ZC034h4
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    rebis said:

Not that Meteor Man. This one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLrLamTFjw0

I know. It was just an excuse to reference the other Meteor Man.

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited January 2014
    random73 said:

6 preview pages image

Ugh... this comes off like "My Big Fat Pakistani Superhero" which is only slight better than and just as irritating as 'insensitive and borderline racist'... All I got from this was that she and her friends are progressive Muslims... see how progressive they are? Her friend's dad doesn't want her to wear a headscarf... and just want people to ignore how progressive they are being... wasn't that blonde girl sooooo annoying???? This is exactly what no one wanted from this, but everyone expected.

Shouldn't the preview have offered something... I don't know... interesting?
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited January 2014
    double post :(
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Ugh... this comes off like "My Big Fat Pakistani Superhero" which is only slight better than and just as irritating as 'insensitive and borderline racist'... All I got from this was that she and her friends are progressive Muslims... see how progressive they are? Her friend's dad doesn't want her to wear a headscarf... and just want people to ignore how progressive they are being... wasn't that blonde girl sooooo annoying???? This is exactly what no one wanted from this, but everyone expected.

Shouldn't the preview have offered something... I don't know... interesting?

Oooooooooh, you didn't think the Euro-style art for the super heroes defeating the pink dragon attacking Planet Unicorn was interesting? Not to mention Yoda the sandwich shop guy that serves Easy Greasy BLT's - or better yet what our cute little protagonist refers to as "delicious, delicious infidel meat." Gripping!

And wasn't it kewl how Yoda referred to the blonde girl as "Concern Troll"? What witty banter!
    David_D said:

There are those that will sigh or roll their eyes...

I'm thinking that I might still one of those.
    David_D said:

And only the book itself will be able to show what the focus is.

And to be fair, this is still just a 6 page preview, so we still do not know what the focus is or will be.
    mwhitt80 said:

If history plays out like normal then this series going to be DOA (regardless of quality); it seems like an 8-12 issue series.

If that. I think Morbius made it 9 issues. I don't expect this to out-distance that title, but stranger things have happened. If this outlasts Fearless Defenders, I'll be shocked.

However, I suspect that Marvel already knows this book is going to be DOA in a few months, but they will always be able to claim another diversity notch on their belt. They gave a Muslim female super-hero her own title, interesting artwork, and marketed it respectfully. They will have done their due-diligence and done their diversity duty. Win-win for Marvel.

Now, back to X-Treme X-Men -.01 Adamantium Foil variants.

• Options

However, I suspect that Marvel already knows this book is going to be DOA in a few months, but they will always be able to claim another diversity notch on their belt. They gave a Muslim female super-hero her own title, interesting artwork, and marketed it respectfully. They will have done their due-diligence and done their diversity duty. Win-win for Marvel.

Now, back to X-Treme X-Men -.01 Adamantium Foil variants.

It's just a preview. Maybe page seven really blows the doors off this thing... But I really wanted this to be a good book and its not shaping up at all. The writing in these pages is laughable, the situations cliched and completely tone-deaf. And Alphona's art has been so much better in the past. I'd also like to point out that the Fan-fic scene and the MMO scene from Runaways that introduces Alex Wilder are almost identical. Homage or laziness?
  • Options

I'd also like to point out that the Fan-fic scene and the MMO scene from Runaways that introduces Alex Wilder are almost identical. Homage or laziness?

That's uncanny to say the least. No way to tell - maybe a lazy homage?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    And yet again... I liked it. It seems fun. Looking forward to reading the whole issue.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Do you think Ms. Marvel & new characters should be featured in other books (not necessarily a solo character's book, team book, but maybe a Team up title) to generate interest before he/she gets a solo book? Ultimately, we won't know until Ms. Marvel comes out, but I just hate seeing new characters get canceled titles soon after they start.

Maybe a Transformers-style mini series?

M