Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New Ms. Marvel

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    I was glad of the press release. I might have ignored the series because it wasn't Carol Danvers, but once I heard G. Willow Wilson was writing it, I knew it was going to be good and very different from what we're used to in our Marvel super hero comics.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm not familiar with any of the creators in terms of having seen their stuff before. I was just curious to the premise of the book. It sounded interested to me and I like the idea she's in Jersey City. Having lived in Hoboken for 11 years, I found the idea that she lives in Jersey City kind of cool. Having read the book, it's just a great series. The characters are interesting, Kamala's powers are neat and I love seeing the young hero come into her own. The fact that she is a fan of superheroes is an added bonus which will make her interactions with established heroes great. I'm so looking forward to the team-up with Spider-Man. It's just a fun book and I enjoy fun.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Issue 6 was the best Wolverine team-up story I've read in a very long time.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Up to this point, I had little interest in this book. But I like quirky, so this thread has compelled me to go pick up at least the Wolverine cross-over. Thanks Dudes!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I just devoured the first trade.

This book is even better than I had expected.

I am especially crazy about the art: it has a fresh energy that perfectly matches the tone of the writing.

At this point, I'd call it my favorite new teenaged superhero book since the original run of Static.
  • Options
    Glad you like it @WetRats. It hits just the right note of "quirky" in my opinion. I'll be shocked if she's not the runaway winner for Best New Hero in the CGS Awards Voting.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I love the book. I think I'm going to have to wait in trade though. I love this book and want to read it. I think I just have to wait on the trade though.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I love the book. I think I'm going to have to wait in trade though. I love this book and want to read it. I think I just have to wait on the trade though.

The trade was worth the wait.

A nice read, and a pretty solid story arc.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I read the first trade and loved it as well. Second trade is already on order.
  • Options
    I just read the 2nd & 3rd trades.

Delightful.

Have I mentioned before, I think this is the best new character since Static?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    Back when I had the marvel digital subscription I read the Ms. Marvel; it was a really good series.

Marvel did a great job creating new characters with her series and the new ghost rider. RIP Ghost Rider
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2015
    I am joining this discussion late but I did just read the last 5 pages of the thread:

I am really confused on why the topic of diversity was so divisive. Isn't the way Marvel is doing this the best way to go?

They did not say that Steve Rogers is now African American, Odinson is now Odindaughter, and Carol Danvers is now Muslim. They "basically" said those characters still exist in our universe - occupying a different role but still there. Now we are introducing characters that more represent the culture at large that will still interact with the old characters you know and love.

What is the problem? What would be the better way?

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617

I am joining this discussion late but I did just read the last 5 pages of the thread:

I am really confused on why the topic of diversity was so divisive. Isn't the way Marvel is doing this the best way to go?

They did not say that Steve Rogers is now African American, Odinson is now Odindaughter, and Carol Danvers is now Muslim. They "basically" said those characters still exist in our universe - occupying a different role but still there. Now we are introducing characters that more represent the culture at large that will still interact with the old characters you know and love.

What is the problem? What would be the better way?

For me its not an issue of diversity, but how they announced the new characters.

Marvel was right about the way they handled Ms. Marvel, and my opinion was invalidated. I just wish they would have pushed Robbie Reyes being hispanic harder maybe he'd be aound a little longer.

It also helps that Marvel created really comics for their new heroes.