Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's Great Right Now?

Simple: What's something that is great right now?

Doesn't need to be a first issue, or something you read this week (though a lot of great discussion and reviews on those threads, which you can find at those links).

What is a currently published book where you've found, maybe an issue or two in (or an issue or two into this creative team) to be great. Makes you excited it is getting published right now. They are doing something that works.

A long list of everything that is great might feel like homework, or like you have to rank them in order or something, so keep it simple and just do one a post. Name a book that is great right now.

I'll start--

I just finished the second issue of Magneto by Bunn and Walta. I loved the first issue, and second was even better. I have been a fan of the character since reading all things Claremont back in the 80s. I have tried some of the various series, minis, and one-offs about Magneto over the years, and this is the first time I feel like they found a lead feature for him that really works.

The book benefits from the post-AvX/ NOW! status quo for Magneto. I think the book is helped by him being at a lower power level. I think fans of the Magneto you see in X-Men First Class would dig this book. So far it has something of a noir/detective vibe. He is out of costume. Sure, he is dealing with people being abducted and turned into a Terminator-like kind of Sentinel. But that premise feels like the right scale for a solo book. In the same way that, to me, the best Wolverine solo stories are when he is dealing with threats that are a little smaller in scale. It's a great book. And I hope that Walta and Bunn stay together and it gets to run for awhile.

Your turn.

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The new SIlver Surfer by Slott and the Allreds.

It gets the Pure Comic-y Goodness™ Seal of Approval®.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2014
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man

Essentially a book about Boomerang and his five(!) member Sinister Six team. Lots of double crossing and back stabbing hilarity.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    ME! I've just finished a 14 hour shift at the bakery I work at churning out Easter Hot cross buns, and I'm still coherent enough to write this!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Zero by Ales Kot, Michael Walsh, Jordie Bellaire, and others. Published by Image.

I love this book. Take that with the caveat that I love espionage books, and I tend to go more for the character drama/ geopolitical ones more than the cool, I-wish-I-was-that-guy-with-the-toys ones. (I am more of Bourne fan than a Bond fan, especially of Bond before it got dark). So know that I was already presold on the genre and tone of this book.

But that said, the execution is excellent. Really strong dialogue. The "acting" in the scenes is strong. Kot is collaborating with a lot of artists on this series, but I have not found the art changes to be jarring (the consistent presence of excellent color artist Bellaire throughout helps).

The story is set in the near-future, and has been gradually been getting more SF as it has gone along. But the whole thing feels grounded in character, and moments that I believe.

It is one of the books I am most excited about right now, and has made Kot a writer who I am checking out on everything he does now.

The first trade is super-cheap by the way.
  • Options
    I agree on Superior Foes of Spiderman and Magneto. I'll add She-Hulk, Hawkeye (with the recent exception of that stupid Xmas flashback thing), Royals: Masters of War, and Black Widow. Oh, and so far, so good on Captain Marvel as well.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I really have enjoyed Velvet by Brubaker.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Ultimate Spider-Man 200

A done in one issue where they celebrate the life of Ultimate Peter Parker, and it reminded me of how much I loved this book before Ultimatum screwed up the Ultimate Universe. Simple, emotional and filled with rich characterization. I got a bit misty reading it and think it may be one of Bendis's best single issue stories.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited April 2014
    Caught up on Rat Queens and ready for the next arc to start. Like Skullkickers it brings back a lot memories from my D & D playing days. A good solid fantasy book that's loads of fun.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Not sure if it's "right now" but I picked up volume 3 of Manhattan Projects (volume 4 is coming out in a month), but man I love this series. Pitarra's art is so different, and the coloring from Bellaire really makes each arc unique. The wackiness of the story is just another great flavor to the mix!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Cannon by Wally Wood (Fantagraphics collected edition)

Ever wonder what would happen if a comic legend were given free rein (ie. no censors or comic code authority)? Well, that's what you get when Wally Wood created the spy thriller Cannon for an overseas publication (hence no censorship). Bullets, broads, booze and boobs. All expertly rendered by Mr. Wood himself.
  • Options
    Satellite Sam, by Matt Fraction and Howard Chaykin.

I'm reminded of the album Mark Knopfler did with Chet Atkins. Two generations of creators having a ball working together.

Chaykin's art is gorgeous in black and white especially the lingerie. And there's lots of lingerie.*

Fraction is clearly having a ball exploring the seedy underside of the early days of the TV industry.

And Ken Bruzenak's lettering, as ever, adds that elusive ingredient, that... spark that is the breath of life.**

*"Remember lawn-jer-ay?"

**Lingerie-inspired reference.
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    All New Doop #1
    Peter Milligan and David LaFuente

Although it's $3.99, it's a 5 issue mini so I know in advance what the total cost will be.

It takes the view that as a marginal character, Doop can slip between stories (through Doopspace) to be where he's needed, to help out the X-Men. He's also decided to propose marriage to someone with a hilariously gross twist ending to this first issue.

I would like to find a translation of the script somewhere to find out what he's saying.
  • Options
    Punisher

I'm normally not a fan of the character and I picked up the new number one on a whim. It was really good and I've stuck with it. He's in L.A. taking on some drug gangs. One of the big ones brings in Electro as their secret weapon. Meanwhile Punisher is also being hunted down by a new team of Howling Commandos. There's also an interesting supporting cast..I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Punisher

I'm normally not a fan of the character and I picked up the new number one on a whim. It was really good and I've stuck with it. He's in L.A. taking on some drug gangs. One of the big ones brings in Electro as their secret weapon. Meanwhile Punisher is also being hunted down by a new team of Howling Commandos. There's also an interesting supporting cast..I highly recommend it.

Is this Greg Rucka's run?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Punisher

No, it's written by Nathan Edmondson with art by Mitchell Thomas Gerads.

Why? Does this sound similar to what Rucka did?

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Punisher

I didn't read it, as Punisher is a character who's never interested me, but I heard he was writing it for a while, and thought if anyone could make the Punisher work for me, it would be him.
  • Options
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Supirior Foes of Spider-Man

Essentially a book about Boomerang and his five(!) member Sinister Six team. Lots of double crossing and back stabbing hilarity.

Can't back this up enough! Love, Love, LOVE Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Although the most recent issue was total filler and isn't going to do anything to help the diving sales figures. Skip #11.

I'll also second the new She-Hulk. 3 issues in and super solid. If they can keep up the quality, it is going to be a stellar run.

I'm also enjoying Amazing X-Men.
    And Superior Spider-Man (even though it pretty much wraps up this week).
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited April 2014
    Many, many good titles have already been mentioned here, but I would add two more:

Mercenary Sea (Image)

The story has been a little choppy, but it is a fun story and the art looks almost like a series of crisp, beautiful animation cells. Lush colors, smooth lines with a strong sense of realism. The Mercenary Sea has promise, and based on the first issue I'll be back for more.

Ghost Rider (Marvel)

After two issues, we have a classic silver-age beginning which equates to a true origin story for issue #1. Issue #2 has upped the ante with spectacular and super-fresh artwork. This kid is almost an amalgamated Matt Murdock and Peter Parker when it comes to origin stories. East LA native and protagonist Robbie Reyes and his haunted race car have peaked my interest. I'm going along for the ride.

Enjoying She-Hulk, Trillium, Superior Spider-Man, Superior Foes, Moon Knight, Haven't read the new Silver Surfer yet, or Doop - (rant alert) and aren't ALL of the latest Marvel titles essentially undisclosed "limited series" these days?

I'm looking at you Daredevil and Hulk...)

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    She Hulk, Moon Knight, All New X-Men, Amazing X-Men, Lazerus
  • Options

I'll add She-Hulk, Hawkeye (with the recent exception of that stupid Xmas flashback thing)...

I'm losing interest with stunts like that. With 3 rotating artists now, you'd think they would get books out on time, but even when they don't, stunt stories like that are easy to hate on...

And oh yeah, I still need to check out my copies of Black Widow (1 - 3) and Captain Marvel...

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Mercenary Sea (Image)

Wow!
    If the story is half a good as that BEAUTIFUL poster image for Mercenary Sea... I'm sold.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Mercenary Sea (Image)

Wow!
    If the story is half a good as that BEAUTIFUL poster image for Mercenary Sea... I'm sold.
    Well, like I said, the storytelling can be a bit choppy, but I'm sold on the art. Check out the book's Tumblr page here: http://themercenarysea.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    I've also begun picking up another Dynamite book. Six Million Dollar Man: Season 6. In the first issue, Steve Austin drop-kicked a great white shark. And you know the old trope of comics is that any comic featuring the hero fighting a shark with just his fists is instantly awesome.

• Options
    Really enjoying Sex Criminals. The "Fat Bottom Girls" sequence in issue 3 might be the greatest thing I've read all year.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Really enjoying "Batman and..." lately. The title's starting to come together again. The conflict with Ra's popped up out of nowhere, but it's been great so far. The Aquaman issue was good, the Wonder Woman issue was even better, and next month we've got Frankenstein. Tomasi's characterizations are on-point all over, and Gleason's art is fantastic and dynamic as ever.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Elsiebub said:

Really enjoying "Batman and..." lately. The title's starting to come together again. The conflict with Ra's popped up out of nowhere, but it's been great so far. The Aquaman issue was good, the Wonder Woman issue was even better, and next month we've got Frankenstein. Tomasi's characterizations are on-point all over, and Gleason's art is fantastic and dynamic as ever.

I think that's the one Batman title I do miss getting. (I dropped it with all the rest of the Bat-books just before the 'Family' crossover). I liked Tomasi's writing much better than what was going on in the other books. When I can afford to again, I may look into picking it up again.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284

Elsiebub said:

I think that's the one Batman title I do miss getting. (I dropped it with all the rest of the Bat-books just before the 'Family' crossover). I liked Tomasi's writing much better than what was going on in the other books. When I can afford to again, I may look into picking it up again.
    You should check out Discountmags.com. They just had a sale this weekend on "Batman and..." for $1.25 an issue, that included delivery to your house. They also had the new Superman for the same price. They have a sale every month or two!
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Punisher

I'm liking the new Punisher too but I also liked the Rucka one as well. Punisher in little chunks is the best kind of Punisher, once he starts getting stale switch it up.

I'm also really enjoying Revival.

And I'd like to second @SolitaireRose‌ 's comments on Ultimate Spider-Man 200. I didn't think they could make another Peter Parker issue but they did it
  • Options
    I have been on a nostalgic style sci-fi kick lately and read Starlight #1 and Flash Gordon #1. Both are great titles. Starlight is really like a story of Flash Gordon after he comes home and grows old, then is brought back to that other world that he knew. You get some flashbacks to his past. The characters are written well and there was great emotion in that first issue.

Flash Gordon #1 by Dynamite is a great jumping on point if you never read Flash Gordon before in comics. It's a fun adventure and the art style has some hints of Darwyn Cooke inspiration, which is perfect for this type of title. I'm looking forward to more.

I also read digitally Warlord of Mars #1 by Dynamite. I have never read this character and never even saw the John Carter movie, so I was really fresh to this. There were some surprises ffor me into the character (like that he was a Confederate soldier). It was again a great jumping on point if you never read anything before about the character. You learn a bit about John Carter and a bit about the world of Mars, but they don't cross over with each other just yet in this issue.

These types of titles I have found that I REALLY enjoy a lot, so I'm looking forward to continuing them.