Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    We already have The Collector in the movie..having another Elder would be cool. Maybe Fillion could be The Grandmaster pulling all the strings behind the scenes?

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    rebis said:

Could he be the Supreme Intelligence?

Ha HA! That was my first thought as well! That would be too funny.
  • Options
    Brack said:

According to Gunn, the actor is in the film, but not playing that character.

This is killing me. I can't wait to see who it is. I hope it is some obscure D-level marvel cosmic character.

Monark Starstalker?

Starhawk? Darkhawk? Vance Astro? Captain Universe? The Stranger? Death's Head? Warlock?

OMG... QUASAR! (please please please)

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Even better then all of that. Fillion is the voice of ...

wait for it.

it's gonna be good.

COSMO!
  • Options
    rebis said:

Even better then all of that. Fillion is the voice of ...

wait for it.

it's gonna be good.

COSMO!

Me thinks that's a good idea comrade.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    rebis said:

COSMO!

Sweet!

but I'll see your Cosmo K9 and raise you one...
    Ulysses Solomon Archer Ace - US1!

C'mon! You know Fillion was born to play that role!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited June 2014
    I'm sure you all have seen the Twitter post about Wonder Woman and a Raccoon with a Machine gun?
    Now you can add "Telekinetic Dog with a Russian accent" to the list.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Between Cosmo and "The Manhattan Projects" Laika, the Russians seem to have cornered the market on talking space dogs:

• Options

"The Manhattan Projects"

Fraking amazing book..just wanted to add that.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Fraking amazing book..just wanted to add that.

Absolutely. Too funny.

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited June 2014
    IMAX theaters across the U.S. are giving away free advance Guardians of the Galaxy preview tickets (JULY 7, AT 7:00PM). NOTE: THIS IS FOR A 17-MINUTE IMAX 3D PREVIEW - NOT THE FULL MOVIE.
    ATTENDEES OF THE 17-MINUTE FIRST LOOK WILL ALSO RECEIVE A FREE MOVIE POSTER.

http://www.seeitfirst.net/pin/552287
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited June 2014

IMAX theaters across the U.S. are giving away free advance Guardians of the Galaxy preview tickets (JULY 7, AT 7:00PM). NOTE: THIS IS FOR A 17-MINUTE IMAX 3D PREVIEW - NOT THE FULL MOVIE.

How many people signing up will think its the full movie?

Sidebar: WHY only a 17 minute preview? I recall 2 decades ago getting to see a preview of an upcoming movie. I saw two full movies for a little more then the cost of 1 ticket (Rudy & Cool Running).

I'm also wondering why the studio is doing this. Even though I'm not interested in the movie, I'd be VERY surprised if it was bad. Is this a sign Marvel Studios is concerned GotG won't find the widespread audience its prior movies had?

M
  • Options
    How about J'son of Spartax for Nathan Fillion?
  • Options

How about J'son of Spartax for Nathan Fillion?

That's probably the best guess yet.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

How many people signing up will think its the full movie?

Sidebar: WHY only a 17 minute preview? I recall 2 decades ago getting to see a preview of an upcoming movie. I saw two full movies for a little more then the cost of 1 ticket (Rudy & Cool Running).

I'm also wondering why the studio is doing this. Even though I'm not interested in the movie, I'd be VERY surprised if it was bad. Is this a sign Marvel Studios is concerned GotG won't find the widespread audience its prior movies had?

M
    This does seem a bit unusual, although I recall people attending Mission Impossible III in Imax and getting to watch the 6-minute Batman: Dark Knight Rises prologue and I think they did it for Dark Knight's bank robbery scene, so it isn't completely out of left field. Of course, this appears to be merely the 17 minutes as a feature by itself and nothing more. This is also not entirely outlandish since some of Imax's earliest offerings (usually in tourist towns) clocked in around the half-hour mark in length. Short films and features aren't that unheard of when it comes to Imax.

What does it say about why the studio is doing this? I for one am bored of the whole “special release party for the teaser of the full trailer!" trend, but this is just saavy marketing designed to help the eager super fans spread the word. I think I can resist the urge to be teased for 17 minutes and wait for the full film to be released.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I don't think Marvel are concerned but rather quite the opposite. In fact a bad showing can lead to negative reactions(Bane's voice) and bad word of mouth...and costly last minute editing. Unless they are very confident in what they have to offer I doubt they'd be doing this.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    I got my ticket! Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    According to James Gunn, this well-named photo is the cover for the GotG soundtrack:

And, per Gunn again, this is the track listing (Spoiler Alert?):

1. Blue Swede – Hooked on a Feeling
    2. Raspberries – Go All the Way
    3. Norman Greenbaum – Spirit in the Sky
    4. David Bowie – Moonage Daydream
    5. Elvin Bishop – Fooled Around and Fell in Love
    6. 10Cc – I’m Not in Love
    7. Jackson 5 – I Want You Back
    8. Redbone – Come and Get Your Love
    9. The Runaways – Cherry Bomb
    10. Rupert Holmes – Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
    11. The Five Stairsteps – O-O-H Child
    12. Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

According to James Gunn, this well-named photo is the cover for the GotG soundtrack:

And, per Gunn again, this is the track listing (Spoiler Alert?):

1. Blue Swede – Hooked on a Feeling
    2. Raspberries – Go All the Way
    3. Norman Greenbaum – Spirit in the Sky
    4. David Bowie – Moonage Daydream
    5. Elvin Bishop – Fooled Around and Fell in Love
    6. 10Cc – I’m Not in Love
    7. Jackson 5 – I Want You Back
    8. Redbone – Come and Get Your Love
    9. The Runaways – Cherry Bomb
    10. Rupert Holmes – Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
    11. The Five Stairsteps – O-O-H Child
    12. Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough

Ugh.

Won't be buying that after all.
  • Options

It appears "Peter Quill's Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1" is a big hit with the ladies:

@Greg ... I'm pushing all my chips to the middle of the table and betting 'em on "Afternoon Delight" right here.

*watches the dealer sweep away all his chips*

Well, so much for that. Now going with 10Cc and "I’m Not in Love."
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I like it. I'm sort of fanboy of all things "70's Gold" though. Seems fun and whimsical.
  • Options

I like it. I'm sort of fanboy of all things "70's Gold" though. Seems fun and whimsical.

There were a lot of great things about the 70s. (like being skinny and having hair)

10cc was not one of those things.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I'm fine with 10cc. The deal breaker for me is the Pina Colada song. That's a very strong contender for my least favorite song of all time. I was all excited when we finally got an oldies radio station here (after not having one for going on a decade), until I realized it meant they were going to play that over and over. Seriously, I hear it on the way to work, hear it on the way back, almost every day I tune in.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    chrisw said:

I'm fine with 10cc. The deal breaker for me is the Pina Colada song. That's a very strong contender for my least favorite song of all time. I was all excited when we finally got an oldies radio station here (after not having one for going on a decade), until I realized it meant they were going to play that over and over. Seriously, I hear it on the way to work, hear it on the way back, almost every day I tune in.

No argument about "Escape".

It's the Gold Standard of Godawful.

The epitome of the kind of shallow, craptastic, irredeemable pop that makes my skin crawl to this day.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    WetRats said:

chrisw said:

No argument about "Escape".

It's the Gold Standard of Godawful.

The epitome of the kind of shallow, craptastic, irredeemable pop that makes my skin crawl to this day.
    Yeah, I almost wish I could come up with a less cliched, more unique choice of least favorite song, but everything about it is so dreadful.

The lyrics used to be the most annoying part, but hearing it again recently, now the thing that gets me is when the guitar solo kicks in each time. It's about as tame as a solo can be, but I get this sense that everyone involved was smoking so much weed that to them, it sounded like they were rocking out as much as they possibly could. Kind of like when I see SNL reruns of James Taylor engaging in a "blues jam" that has all the grittiness of my dad drinking too much and singing at a wedding.

Every decade seems silly in hindsight, but the '70s have this particular obliviousness to their lameness that makes then fascinating.
  • Options
    Not sensing a lot of love for pina coladas here. Or getting caught in the rain, for that matter.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Yeah, I almost wish I could come up with a less cliched, more unique choice of least favorite song, but everything about it is so dreadful.

There is worse.

You

Light

Up

My

Life
  • Options
    I really, really dig "Escape"
  • Options
    chrisw said:

The lyrics used to be the most annoying part, but hearing it again recently, now the thing that gets me is when the guitar solo kicks in each time. It's about as tame as a solo can be, but I get this sense that everyone involved was smoking so much weed that to them, it sounded like they were rocking out as much as they possibly could. Kind of like when I see SNL reruns of James Taylor engaging in a "blues jam" that has all the grittiness of my dad drinking too much and singing at a wedding.

This is one of my favorite paragraphs ever posted on this forum.