Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for pigeon-holing me and thanks for your permission to continue with the "snobbery". I didn't know only certain Michael Bay projects could be criticized. Are Brett Ratner films still fair game? I hope I didn't hurt your feelings, but I don't intend to change my opinion or stop sharing it at the risk of upsetting anyone.

Actually, who cares what I or any other grown-up film critic/geek thinks? This is a movie for kids. It’s not particularly smart nor does it do much with the franchise my generation loves because of nostalgia – but 8 year olds are going to think it’s the best thing ever, and that’s kind of what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has always been ever since the first cartoon. If you grew up loving the comics, keep your expectations low with this move.

Better? Carry on...
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Thanks for pigeon-holing me and thanks for your permission to continue with the "snobbery". I didn't know only certain Michael Bay projects could be criticized. Are Brett Ratner films still fair game? I hope I didn't hurt your feelings, but I don't intend to change my opinion or stop sharing it at the risk of upsetting anyone.

Actually, who cares what I or any other grown-up film critic/geek thinks? This is a movie for kids. It’s not particularly smart nor does it do much with the franchise my generation loves because of nostalgia – but 8 year olds are going to think it’s the best thing ever, and that’s kind of what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has always been ever since the first cartoon. If you grew up loving the comics, keep your expectations low with this move.

Better? Carry on...

Maybe crowbarring a dance scene would've increased your enjoyment.

http://youtu.be/6j2KRf8t3Hg

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Better? Carry on...

Do we need a TMNT movie thread? I'd like to see it. It looks kinda fun to me. Like a live action version of the original cartoon. I honestly think at least 25% of the hate is coming from giving the turtles nostrils. The cartoons and the action figures, and the original movies had the turtles look kinda cute. The nostrils really turn people off. I think no matter how good the movie is, for a lot of people having characters that are offensive to look at (for them) turns the whole movie off for them.
  • Options
    Yes I suppose we need a TMNT thread - with spoilers.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Yes I suppose we need a TMNT thread - with spoilers.

To judge by the comments, apparently Michael Bay is the spoiler.

:D

(Note: I have no horse in this race. Just trying to make a funny.)
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Finally got to see it.
    4 out of 5 stars.

First, what I didn't like:
    Would have liked a more physically imposing villain with more backstory.
    Nova Corps were a bunch of douche bags.
    Gamorra didn't seem like a killing machine.
    Drax a little under-powered.
    Howard the Duck scene was funny, but didn't really get it done for me.
    No mid-credits scene.

What I did like:
    FREEKING EVERYTHING ELSE!
    Great music. Funny. A little looser connection to the MCU for now, which was nice. I love the continuity they're building, but this was a nice change of pace. Drax as the straight man. Rocket adjusting his package. AWESOME!!!!!
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Only thing that pulls me out is
    AxelBrass said:

Nova Corps were a bunch of douche bags.

How so? Just curious. I didn't get that impression really that I recal. In fact I thought they were shown in a pretty positive light overall. Which is surprising and refreshing for Hollywoods usual portrayal of authority figures.
    Totally agree about Howard the duck and gamora especially. She was a green chick that knew some martial arts and the actress didn't seem interested or invested.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    good read!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54981

ROSEMANN DETAILS THE "GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY" COMIC BOOK ORIGIN

"Keith was the one that put Groot and Rocket together. They were originally on the team, but they weren't a pair. I'm reading the first script, and there was a scene where Star-Lord is watching the team training to go on this suicide mission. The first panel, you see a close-up on Rocket. He's got this huge grin on his face, and he's firing this gigantic gun. And in the next panel, you pull back, and you realize he's standing in the palm of Groot's hand. I'm like, "Keith, this is hilarious. Why did you think of putting them together?" Keith said, "Hey, one's a raccoon, one's a tree, of course they're going to be friends!"

In our story, Rocket wants to befriend Groot, and the whole time Groot is pushing him away. "Furry thing, I will kill you." But then at the end of it, Groot realizes that Rocket is his only one true friend. At the end of the story, Groot sacrifices himself, and he explodes -- and all that is left is a little splinter of Groot, and Rocket was the one who planted him in a pot, and then grew him, which may be a very familiar visual if you see the movie. So Keith and artist Timothy Green deserve a lot of credit for developing and pairing Rocket and Groot."

• Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    edited August 2014
    Matt said:

All because I dislike the dancing? Good think we weren't discussing the Incredibles movie!

M

You didn't like the Incredibles?

• Options
    Matt said:

Since the prior post-credit scenes (excluding IM3 & Avengers) have lead into a movie...any chance Seth Green will be getting the next Marvel Cosmic movie? A one-shot? Could this just be a 1 & done thing?

M

I think the director threw that scene in just because he thought it was funny and there won't be anything else that comes from it.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Is there a way to delete posts? I'm just doing an edit now to change this post. Probably shouldn't have said that. It might have been a little mean. Trying to be more positive. Wish I could just click a delete button instead of doing this.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Yup. RDJ's Stark has comedical bits, but he comes off as an essentric & showman. Pratt's Starlord didn't come off as either. This was the first movie I thought took it about 3 steps too far.

M

Pratt wasn't playing the same type of character. He's a goofball. Thats the character he was playing. It really isn't fair to compare the two and say that Starlord isn't Ironman, therefore Starlord is bad.
  • Options
    Matt said:

The circle I hang with primarily is Meg & our daughter...and I run our house like its Bomont!!!

M

You just suck the joy out of everything.
  • Options
    sandman said:

Matt said:

All because I dislike the dancing? Good think we weren't discussing the Incredibles movie!

M

You didn't like the Incredibles?

No.
  • Options
    sandman said:

Matt said:

Yup. RDJ's Stark has comedical bits, but he comes off as an essentric & showman. Pratt's Starlord didn't come off as either. This was the first movie I thought took it about 3 steps too far.

M

Pratt wasn't playing the same type of character. He's a goofball. Thats the character he was playing. It really isn't fair to compare the two and say that Starlord isn't Ironman, therefore Starlord is bad.
    I was actually comparing the styles of the actors, not characters. RDJ could've played Stark as a goofball & I wouldn't have cared for. Pratt could've played Quill with more showmanship & being an essentric, and I might have cared for it more.

M
  • Options
    sandman said:

Matt said:

The circle I hang with primarily is Meg & our daughter...and I run our house like its Bomont!!!

M

You just suck the joy out of everything.
    http://youtu.be/_VrFV5r8cs0

M
  • Options
    Its amusing to me what caused me to roll my eyes is the same stuff that some of you guys are swooning over. Good thing Baskins & Robbins has 31 flavors.

M
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited August 2014
    You're welcome.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

You're welcome.

Oh baby, give me one more chance
    (To show you that I love you)
    Won't you please let me back in your heart
    Oh darlin', I was blind to let you go
    (Let you go, baby)
    But now since I see you in his arms
    (I want you back)
    Yes I do now
    (I want you back)
    Ooh ooh baby
    (I want you back)
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah
    (I want you back)
    Na na na na

• Options
    Matt said:

sandman said:

Matt said:

M

I was actually comparing the styles of the actors, not characters. RDJ could've played Stark as a goofball & I wouldn't have cared for. Pratt could've played Quill with more showmanship & being an essentric, and I might have cared for it more.

M
    There's overlap there where the styles the actors are taking is because of the styles of the characters that they're playing. The two characters have different styles, so the actors are going to approach them with different styles. Saying that you're comparing the styles of the actors and not the characters is kind of splitting hairs. In this case I think it's pretty interchangeable.
  • Options
    sandman said:

Matt said:

sandman said:

Matt said:

M

M
    There's overlap there where the styles the actors are taking is because of the styles of the characters that they're playing. The two characters have different styles, so the actors are going to approach them with different styles. Saying that you're comparing the styles of the actors and not the characters is kind of splitting hairs. In this case I think it's pretty interchangeable.
    Then give me the essentric showman over the goofball.

M
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    This is going to be the No. 1 movie for 2014 until Mockingjay Part 1 comes out. Still impressive. I had no idea where this movie would do.
  • Options
    Marvel Studios has firmly established itself as one of the biggest brands in Hollywood. After six years of releasing movies, the company has not only made many of the highest grossing films of all time - Joss Whedon's The Avengers currently claims the most box office records at boxofficemojo.com - but they've also proven able to take a property that nobody has ever heard of and turn it into gold. GotG had plenty of detractors when it was first announced at SDCC 2011, myself included, but now that particular project has made more than half a billion dollars at the global box office and can be called the biggest hit domestically of the summer season.

See the numbers here: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel2014a.htm

This is great news for fans of comic book movies. If a movie with very little direct brand awareness like Guardians of the Galaxy can become a huge hit, then that opens the door wide open for all kinds of special and strange projects that were previously rejected for not being marketable. The high quality of GotG is obviously one of the main reasons behind the film's continued success so long after its opening weekend. Hopefully, these results will raise the bar for the entire industry, and we should all be very excited about what that means.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Not liking the Incredibles is like not liking oxygen