Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Fantastic Four Reboot. (And Marvel vs. Fox)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Ok. Thanks.

Just another event, that's all. Nothing to it. It's a funny time indeed.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Ok. Thanks.

Just another event, that's all. Nothing to it. It's a funny time indeed.

I'm sure that "NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME!"

• Options
    "Fantastic Four’s Victor Von Doom will now be…wait for it…Victor Domashev"

http://nerdreactor.com/2014/11/10/fantastic-fours-victor-von-doom-victor-domashev/
    “He’s Victor Domashev, not Victor Von Doom in our story,” Kebbel said. “And I’m sure I’ll be sent to jail for telling you that… I’m a programmer; very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I’m ‘Doom.'”
    ~~~~~~~~

*groan*
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

http://nerdreactor.com/2014/11/10/fantastic-fours-victor-von-doom-victor-domashev/

“He’s Victor Domashev, not Victor Von Doom in our story,” Kebbel said. “And I’m sure I’ll be sent to jail for telling you that… I’m a programmer; very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I’m ‘Doom.'”
    ~~~~~~~~

*groan*

Haha, if I ever had an interest in seeing this movie since the initial announcement, if probably be a little irritated the movie seems to be hovering between "tweak the source material" and "off the reservation" (such as Catwoman).

Good luck to them.

M
  • Options
    So, basically, he's Victor Von Snowden?
  • Options
    AAARRRRGHHHH! This goes further than "off reservation".
    L-) :(( >:P

So far, the best I can tell, the only thing that they've got right in this movie is the name. Is it possible that this turd will lose so much money they give the rights back to Marvel for free along with a written letter of apology?

Seriously, though, on the day this comes out, I'll be sitting at home and reading my Marvel Masterworks: Fantastic Four hardcovers and remembering what the FF meant to my generation.

Suck it, Fox.
  • Options
    Now they are just effing with us.

Is there anybody defending this movie besides Fox? They have released hardly any images. I have heard the actor's comments. It could be a good movie but not a good FF movie.
  • Options
    I wonder how much it would have to tank for FOX to explore selling it back? :-)
  • Options
    AxelBrass said:

So far, the best I can tell, the only thing that they've got right in this movie is the name. Is it possible that this turd will lose so much money they give the rights back to Marvel for free along with a written letter of apology?

Seriously, though, on the day this comes out, I'll be sitting at home and reading my Marvel Masterworks: Fantastic Four hardcovers and remembering what the FF meant to my generation.

Suck it, Fox.

And to borrow the quote from Cain, you will find the books are still on your shelf, unchanged, and just fine.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    David_D said:

AxelBrass said:

Suck it, Fox.

And to borrow the quote from Cain, you will find the books are still on your shelf, unchanged, and just fine.
    Was that before or after he killed his brother? ;)
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

~~~~~~~~

*groan*
    I think I'm done trying to be optimistic about this. Every thing I hear just makes it sound worse.

This reminds me of a few years ago when it seemed like every comic was trying to work blogging, YouTube, or Facebook into its story in an attempt to seem current.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Fox or the director needs to tell the cast members to shut the hell up about this film. Unless they honestly do want it to bomb.
  • Options
    "Victor Domashev" is a perfectly....fine.....name....change.

Screw it. Can't do that with a straight face.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2014
    I'm still hanging onto the possible chance the guy was just screwing with us.
  • Options
    I'm glad the makers of The Flash show just went all in. Seems to be polar opposite of this movie.
  • Options
    They should make the Invisible Woman Puerto Rican.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    This is a wonderful train wreck. None of it makes sense. Are we sure they aren't just all messing with us? Like I don't feel bad (bc they basically print money) for Marvel, but this has to be a headache. Next thing they are going to tell us is Stan Lee's cameo will be played by Tyler Perry in drag.
  • Options
    Eric_C said:

Next thing they are going to tell us is Stan Lee's cameo will be played by Tyler Perry in drag.

FOR.THE.WIN.

If they are messing with us, it's a very strange gamble. I don't see what the gain would be. Not seeing any set photos or a teaser yet is also a bit peculiar. I saw where someone argued that it was a shrewd decision not to release any tid-bits in advance because that is what ruins people's perception before a movie comes out and thus ruins the potential box office in the end. Of course, as some people have argued in these forums, comic fan-boys dissatisfaction with a movie will have little bearing on how much money the movie makes. So who cares what fans of the comic book iteration think? Not sure I agree with that sentiment, but it's been espoused by a few folks.

I vividly remember the teasers and a few of the marketing tricks used for Chronicle, and it made me want to see the film. I waited for DVD, but when I did get around to seeing it, my friends heard about it and I recommended it to them because Chronicle is a lot of fun. It was a film that explored its premise well, while also proving that it doesn’t take $150m to make a successful movie along these lines. So when Trank was first announced as the director to helm this reboot, I was excited, but not at all now. Perhaps this has all been an effort to simply lower our expectations and then blow us away.

I doubt it.
  • Options

I'm glad the makers of The Flash show just went all in. Seems to be polar opposite of this movie.

Agreed. I don't mind some slight 'updating' of origin stories, etc, but when the movie studios want to distance themselves from the source material so desperately, it makes me wonder why they even bother using the Fantastic Four name? They figure there's a built-in audience, I guess, but it just irritates me and keeps someone from making the movie I want to see - an ALL IN FANTASTIC FOUR MOVIE!
  • Options
    He's a blogger.

An anti-social programmer.

What the hell.

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    AxelBrass said:

Agreed. I don't mind some slight 'updating' of origin stories, etc, but when the movie studios want to distance themselves from the source material so desperately, it makes me wonder why they even bother using the Fantastic Four name? They figure there's a built-in audience, I guess, but it just irritates me and keeps someone from making the movie I want to see - an ALL IN FANTASTIC FOUR MOVIE!
    I haven't seen Chronicle, but I'm guessing Fox thought maybe something like that would serve as a good template for a new FF film, since this sounds similar.

I think the problem studios have with an "All In" FF movie is cost. They're just not willing to take the risk. I can't say I blame them. As much as I'd love to see a big budget, IMAX 3D film with the FF traveling through the Negative Zone, I don't know if a studio other than Marvel would succeed with that or not.
  • Options

He's a blogger.

An anti-social programmer.

What the hell.

He's a blogger,
    He's a doctor,
    He's an anti-social programmer,
    And he plays his music in the sun ...

• Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited November 2014
    Leaked footage from "Doctor Doom's" first scene in the new movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVD3KPUnKHk
  • Options
    I think @i_am_scifi‌ nailed it.

BEHOLD! Milton Von Doom!

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2014
    Milton Von Doom was your run-of-the-mill evil genius/blogger/anti-social programmer toiling away for his employer, IniTech (no, make that) Stark Industries (no, we don't own the rights to those guys, better make that) Richards Industries (yeah, that's the ticket!). He devoted his life to his employer, but they never appreciated him. Oh, no. They forced him to move his lab to the basement (the basement!) and told him he couldn't listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven while collating, even though Sandra was allowed to listen to her headphones while she's filing. But then they pushed him too far when they tried to deprive him of his beloved red Swingline. For on that day, Milton Von Doom vowed to destroy the man responsible ... Reed Lumbergh.

"Yeah, we're gonna need you to come in on Saturday,
    so if you could cancel your trip to Latveria, that'd be greeeaat."
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Okay, NOW I'm interested in this movie. Wonder if the origin involves building a prototype cubicle to study the limits of an office's space. Due to prolonged monitor watching & poor ergonomic chairs, Lumbar's crew gain special powers.

M
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Of course this awkward press conference totally debunks all the "Marvel is mad at Fox so they're cancelling the FF book" rumors...

And here's a round-up of everything we "know" about the movie so far from Den of Geek
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Of course this awkward press conference totally debunks all the "Marvel is mad at Fox so they're cancelling the FF book" rumors...

To be clear, that link is not to a press conference. It wasn't something Marvel and Fox put together to about the FF movie that went wrong.

Rather, this is a Hollywood Reporter roundtable about the business in general with a group of studio executives. A Fox and Disney exec were two of the people at the table. And a blog is trying to make hay from a brief exchange about the FF movie.

From the blog report, it sounds like someone asked a question about the FF cancellation, to see if they could get some dirt on tension between Marvel and Fox. I mean, the question is posed as 'is Alan's Marvel trying to strangle your Marvel'? That is a reporter digging to try to get some dirt. It didn't result in any, which is probably why that exchange actually got cut out of the finished episode. Because both execs treated the comic cancellation as not actually mattering in the world of these giant, competing movies. (Which has been my point from the start.)

• Options
    And I thought the idea was for the FF and X-Men to share the same universe... wouldn't it have been cool to see Reed Richards and Charles Xavier playing chess or something in one scene? That ain't happening after all it apears...