Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Talking of anniversary editions with extra content, I'm half way through The Stand, a true epic. I hear Mathew McConaughey is playing Randall Flagg in an upcoming movie too. Should be good the way he's acting lately.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Just finished Robert Knott's latest Cole & Hitch novel, "The Bridge". These are the only Robert Parker necrobiblia books I'm enjoying. Knott gets the characters and the pacing of Parker, without trying to clone his writing.

Today I will finish "The Empty Throne", the latest in Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles. As usual, it's great.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Map of Bones by James Rollins. Think Tom Clancy mixed with Dan Brown
  • Options
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Sorry double post
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Just read Cormac McCarthy's no country for Old Men. Going to hit Blood Meridian next.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

Just read Cormac McCarthy's no country for Old Men. Going to hit Blood Meridian next.

e
    L nny

I read "Blood Meridian" once for a US Lit. class during my undergrads. I liked it to a certain point but it was extremely dry. The only book I truly like by McCarthy is "The Road." His other books do not suit my taste in literature.

I am currently reading Torquato Tasso's "Jerusalem Delivered" - an Epic Poem that discusses the First Crusade of Jerusalem. If you are interested in history or classical literature, I highly recommend it. Think of it as a precursor to "Paradise Lost."
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

Read No COuntry last year. Really good book.

• Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    I'm just starting Wool by Hugh Howey
  • Options
    Currently reading American Sniper. Looking for something fantasy/sci-fi to read next.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    Finished up Wool by Hugh Howey and it was excellent.

Now I'm reading Skin Games by Jim Butcher which is also excellent.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Still on a Warhammer 40K binge.

• Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation by Bill Nye
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Although not about evolution or the above mentioned book, this clip does feature Bill Nye

m.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ywB8132jc
  • Options
    Getting through Daredevil and 3 and a half series of Breaking Bad has really taken its toll on my book reading. I have 300 pages left of The Stand that I started two months ago!!
  • Options
    I've finally finished The Stand. Loved it.

I'm now several chapters into Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box. I've read a lot of horror books in my time, but this is the first book to genuinely give me the creeps. It's a ghost story that is genuinely making me feel a little uncomfortable when reading. Great writing from Hill.
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    Finished off Pillars of the Earth a couple of weeks ago, and it was a page turner. There were some scenes that seemed a bit too graphic, but the way the fiction played into the non-fiction was terrific!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited May 2015
    Just finished "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" by George V. Higgins.

A worn copy of it was featured in the last episode of Justified, and I learned that it was the book that inspired Elmore Leonard to switch from westerns to crime novels.

It's a helluva book, especially in the context of 1970, when it was published.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    WetRats said:

Just finished "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" by George V. Higgins.

A worn copy of it was featured in the last episode of Justified, and I learned that it was the book that inspired Elmore Leonard to switch from westerns to crime novels.

It's a helluva book, especially in the context of 1970, when it was published.

That's one of those films I've always planned to watch, but just never got around to it. I've even DVR'd it a couple times off TCM, only for it to delete before I get to it. I wasn't aware it was originally a book, but I'm not surprised to hear that was the case.

I've wondered before why Leonard made such an abrupt switch. I'd just assumed westerns weren't selling as well anymore. He's one of those writers on my short list of candidates to do a complete chronological reading of. He'd make for a nice change of pace after Edgar Allen Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, and Mark Twain, who are the other three I've done that with.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    For those who like BIG stories, Mark Danielewski is writing a 27 volume novel...

knopfdoubleday.com/2011/11/21/mark-z-danielewskis-the-familiar-coming-in-27-volumes-from-pantheon/
  • Options
    Finished with Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box. Very enjoyable. Great ghost story.

Just picked up Ready Player One. One chapter down, all the pop culture references I grew up with, this is right up my alley. @ShaneKelly how're you finding it?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    luke52 said:

Just picked up Ready Player One. One chapter down, all the pop culture references I grew up with, this is right up my alley. @ShaneKelly how're you finding it?

Oh, just wait. He goes down the rabbit hole with references. Good book.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

luke52 said:

Oh, just wait. He goes down the rabbit hole with references. Good book.

Just finished it. Couldn't put the thing down. Loved it.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Recently, I've pulled some books off of my sons shelf and read the first 3 volumes of James Owens' Imaginarium Geographica. The fantastical adventurers of a trio from Oxford - John, Jack and Charles, and their adventures after being made caretakers of the atlas of all mythological and fantastical lands. I won't spoil the conceit of the series, but the first couple are pretty entertaining, The third was a bit ponderous. The fourth is on the shelf so I'll likely give it a go.

Meanwhile, I've decided to reread/read Stephen King's Darktower series. I haven't ventured down that path since Wastelands came out in 1991. I've already burned through the Gunslinger and the Drawing of Three and enjoyed both as much as I did back then. I don't recall being terribly satisfied by Wastelands last time around, but I'm assuming not having to wait 6 years to read Wizard and Glass will improve my enjoyment.
  • Options
    I'm on a Stephen King book now too... Revival.
  • Options
    What's worse, good story with terrible prose, or bad story with great prose. I've read a few books recently where the prose was magnificent which made each sentence a joy to read, but didn't really add up to anything, and a couple of books where the prose was a slog but I kept with it because the narrative had hooked me. Neither was really a fufilling experience, but I can't really decide which was worse.
  • Options
    My gut reaction is great prose and bad story. Although the overall piece is poor, you can enjoy reading it in the moment.
    A good story with poor prose sounds like a wiki entry.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

What's worse, good story with terrible prose, or bad story with great prose. I've read a few books recently where the prose was magnificent which made each sentence a joy to read, but didn't really add up to anything, and a couple of books where the prose was a slog but I kept with it because the narrative had hooked me. Neither was really a fufilling experience, but I can't really decide which was worse.

This is like bad art/good story or good art/bad story comics debate
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    hauberk said:

Recently, I've pulled some books off of my sons shelf and read the first 3 volumes of James Owens' Imaginarium Geographica. The fantastical adventurers of a trio from Oxford - John, Jack and Charles, and their adventures after being made caretakers of the atlas of all mythological and fantastical lands. I won't spoil the conceit of the series, but the first couple are pretty entertaining, The third was a bit ponderous. The fourth is on the shelf so I'll likely give it a go.

Meanwhile, I've decided to reread/read Stephen King's Darktower series. I haven't ventured down that path since Wastelands came out in 1991. I've already burned through the Gunslinger and the Drawing of Three and enjoyed both as much as I did back then. I don't recall being terribly satisfied by Wastelands last time around, but I'm assuming not having to wait 6 years to read Wizard and Glass will improve my enjoyment.

Wrapped up Wizard and Glass. I quite enjoyed it, long though it was. Between work and summer activities, it took a bit longer than planned. Time to play catch up on comics and then on to the Wolves of Calla!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Been reading Mirrorshades for over a month now. It is a collection of various cyberpunk short stories. Got 1 story left before I finish it.